Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Ciaphas posted:

Got Ravana story unlocked this morning. Neat cutscenes. Can't wait to tank him blind tonight :ohdear:
My only advice : turn up the volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

rock2much posted:

While we're talking about cross class abilities, what are the 5 you'd want on your DRK?

On my WAR I've been using provoke, feather foot, convalescence, second wind and flash. Wondering if feather foot is even worth a drat for me.

Drop Featherfoot, get Awareness.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

On WAR, I typically run with Flash, Provoke, Convalescence, Internal Release, and the fifth slot floats between Awareness and Second Wind. When I get around to DRK, I expect I'll go with Provoke, Convalescence, Awareness, Foresight, and either Bloodbath or Mercy Stroke.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eej posted:

Warriors can stance dance into Deliverance (if actually tanking) and hit Equilibrium for 200 TP every minute. That puts them way ahead of other tanks in TP management even if it means they miss out on one of their Fell Cleaves.

And that's offset by DRK having other buttons to hit that cost no TP, either because they cost nothing or they cost MP and mana management is the big game for them. Like, DRK can have other issues but TP problems aren't even on the list.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
All these monks whining about how purification is useless unconsciously outing themselves as horrible non fracture users

Smgdh

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

rock2much posted:

While we're talking about cross class abilities, what are the 5 you'd want on your DRK?

On my WAR I've been using provoke, feather foot, convalescence, second wind and flash. Wondering if feather foot is even worth a drat for me.

Drop Second Wind for Internal Release. You might not think it's a survival cooldown, but then you have never crit a Bloodbath'd Steel Cyclone on a ton of mobs.

Seriously, your HP pool is too large for Second Wind to mean much of anything. Defiance doesn't increase it, nor does Convalescence.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do DKs have assy threat generation or something? I've seen two different DK MTs have the boss ripped off of them during burn phases by the OT and a BLM.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zanael posted:

My only advice : turn up the volume.

Good music, then? :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

fadam posted:

Do DKs have assy threat generation or something? I've seen two different DK MTs have the boss ripped off of them during burn phases by the OT and a BLM.

Far from it, they have ABSURD threat generation in a Dark Arts-empowered Power Slash. Possibly they were burning all their mana on empowered Souleaters instead after the pull and just weren't paying attention. :shrug:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So end game spoiler question

What "Primal" is at the end of the game crawling out of the lake? Also Was the game and the pope implying you yourself the PC is becoming a primal?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

What "Primal" is at the end of the game crawling out of the lake? Also Was the game and the pope implying you yourself the PC is becoming a primal?

Answer to the first: Alexander

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I can't run out of rested exp. :psyduck:

SCH to 52 and two new jobs to 33, the rested exp don't stop.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Minrad posted:

Level fisher, it'll be gone in no time.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Far from it, they have ABSURD threat generation in a Dark Arts-empowered Power Slash. Possibly they were burning all their mana on empowered Souleaters instead after the pull and just weren't paying attention. :shrug:

Our DRK has been able to keep threat against me with significantly worse gear. DRK threat is insanely good.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

fadam posted:

That's really weird

I'm sure I've pissed off some healers and DPS by being in Deliverance and letting a monster or two wander off because holding threat in Deliverance is actually pretty tricky, but from what I've seen of DRK so far it's absurdly easy to hold threat.

Fat_Cow posted:

Plugging the ffgoons spoilerchat thread: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27545

And yes, I think so

Minrad posted:

I managed to run out somehow, right as I was most of the way to 60. It IS possible.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 25, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

And that's offset by DRK having other buttons to hit that cost no TP, either because they cost nothing or they cost MP and mana management is the big game for them. Like, DRK can have other issues but TP problems aren't even on the list.

The one upside to having to potentially use Unmend at melee range to save TP is that it's 30 more potency than Shield Lob and 20 more than Tomawhawk. :unsmith:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fat_Cow posted:

To the second That seems to be what they're implying. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the post 3.0 storyline. There are way more loose ends and open plot threads than there were in 2.0.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Omnicrom posted:

To the second That seems to be what they're implying. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the post 3.0 storyline. There are way more loose ends and open plot threads than there were in 2.0.

My theory is that The Warrior of Light on the moon is a Primal the Ascians have created, fueled by the beliefs of the people in the generic idea of the Warriors of Light. Warriors of Darkness here we come :getin:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Minrad posted:

My theory is that The Warrior of Light on the moon is a Primal the Ascians have created, fueled by the beliefs of the people in the generic idea of the Warriors of Light. Warriors of Darkness here we come :getin:

It's never really established where player characters are actually from, and that they're some kind of manifestation of the hopes and dreams of the people or something would make sense too

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Minrad posted:

I've always wanted to play the prequel to FF3 where you were the Warriors of Dark.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Eej posted:

The one upside to having to potentially use Unmend at melee range to save TP is that it's 30 more potency than Shield Lob and 20 more than Tomawhawk. :unsmith:

That plus it can proc a free unleash, and who doesn't like free aoe threat. It's like real estate.

fadam posted:

My working theory is that most of the DRKs who are 50+ now just stole turtle eggs and fate ground to 50 because of the long queue times, so now that they're getting instant queues they still have no idea how the basics of the class function and are therefore terrible at tanking. I made a point of grabbing a DPS from either my FC or linkshell and dungeoning up because I didn't want to not know how to tank once I hit 50+.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
there are people who aren't quite figuring out DRK and there are people who conceptually seem to be extremely bad at tanking. one of these things is much worse than the other.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

there are people who aren't quite figuring out DRK and there are people who conceptually seem to be extremely bad at tanking. one of these things is much worse than the other.

given how popular DRK is on the RP server, a lot of what I'm seeing is probably both, DRK is a VERY popular class on balmung.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah i understand why so many people were mad DRK wasn't a dps job now, everyone wants to be one and 60% of them have never tanked a day in their life. Being terrified of pulling more than one mob all the way through dungeons, aiming conal AoEs straight at the healers. I'm sure we'll get plenty of new good tanks in endgame groups now but it's made some of those LLDRs pretty funny.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Good music, then? :v:

Very much so. Every primal's music continues to be the best primal music.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

UglyDucklett posted:

Yeah i understand why so many people were mad DRK wasn't a dps job now, everyone wants to be one and 60% of them have never tanked a day in their life. Being terrified of pulling more than one mob all the way through dungeons, aiming conal AoEs straight at the healers. I'm sure we'll get plenty of new good tanks in endgame groups now but it's made some of those LLDRs pretty funny.

i have the opposite problem, where i want every class to be a tank class.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
:agreed:

I've put on all fending right side more than once on Bard and tanked for people who either drop out or are terrible. Give me Defiance instead of Minuet SE, come on.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
heavensward gave me wanted in that there are now cool dragoon/monk sets, but it doesn't feel right to have bosses not punching me in the mouth so they are leveling very slowly.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

given how popular DRK is on the RP server, a lot of what I'm seeing is probably both, DRK is a VERY popular class on balmung.

chuuni job, 100% confirmed

But yeah, threat gen is not a problem for DRK unless you sync down to >26 (and at that level threat is a joke for every tank :v:). The whole point of Dark Arts + Power Slash is to give you bonkers threat gen, and everything else important also has huge enmity scaling, so no DRK should have threat problems. The easy threat gen is one of the reasons I love tanking with it! (Now if only it was a little clearer exactly how Unleash worked vis-a-vis the "hit" going out compared to the animation...)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The music for Ravana is so amazingly ridiculous, it's awesome. In fact, most primal fights just have total :psyduck: music. I'm almost ready to declare this the best OST of any FF game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

(Now if only it was a little clearer exactly how Unleash worked vis-a-vis the "hit" going out compared to the animation...)

I'm glad I'm not the only one bugged by that. I think I'm starting to get a feel for it, but there's a strange disconnect there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's the same as Flash, really. You just hit it and put your faith in the dark.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mordiceius posted:

Also, I find it incredible how many people have pretty much "finished Heavensward" at this point. As in, class to 60, all quests done, all dungeons done. Geared to the teeth already.

I'm not trying to poo poo on those people, but I think I'm glad that I've been taking things a bit slower. I played hard the first couple days just to get my AST up to 50, but I'm barely into the main quests. I'm level 51, close to 52 and all I've done are the initial questlines in Coerthas Western and Sea of Clouds as well as the Elf Pope meeting after. I feel like I still have so much ahead of me.

I just don't understand those that race to the cap, skip all cutscenes and burn through everything in less than a week and then in another couple weeks are just going to sit around and complain that there's nothing to do,

I've been a big fan of just playing a couple hours a day, taking it casual and just being a slowpoke sightseer. Plus, it allows me to play other games (Like finishing Witcher 3).

Are you trying to say people don't give a poo poo about this great STORY?

Work totally sucks when combined with games and nightly maintenance that only lets you play for 3 hours. I might get 60 by Saturday, after grown up things.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 25, 2015

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rock2much posted:

Provoke, Convalescence, Awareness, Foresight, Bloodbath. You don't need Flash, and everything else is garbo.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i have the opposite problem, where i want every class to be a tank class.

I want a Dancer job that is a tank.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Is Heavensword a new expansion you need to buy? If so, and if my character is no where near max pre-expansion, should I just wait til I reach the max before getting the new one (unless it is mandatory). Slowly browsing through all the threads here while waiting for live chat so I can try to retrieve my old account back (my old email was deactivated).

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

If you're fighting a boss you're going to run out of TP and you will then have to do suboptimal things, which are better things than when other tanks run out of TP but still suboptimal. WAR is better off than DRK because they have zero-TP weaponskills they can use sometimes and in a real pinch I think they can stance dance and regain some TP.

fadam posted:

I'm pretty sure that the issue is that it's easier to tunnel vision away from your threat generation as a DRK than the others. For WAR, your highest potency combo is your threat combo in the first place. For PLD, your enmity combo is a good debuff. For DRK, your enmity combo is a combo in which you aren't generating extra MP.
Add to that people dropping Grit on bosses (which I don't think DRK can get away with like the other tanks for this exact reason) and you have a recipe for "oh god why did the boss turn around?".

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Minrad posted:

Earlier in the thread somebody was talking about how they thought the post-credits scene was lame but the Ascians have an evil you on the moon and that's exactly the kind of ridiculous, hilarious twist I want to see in Anime MMO and I'm very excited.

My theory is that Trailer Hyur was actually the Warrior of Darkness all along.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

wfwon posted:

Is Heavensword a new expansion you need to buy? If so, and if my character is no where near max pre-expansion, should I just wait til I reach the max before getting the new one (unless it is mandatory). Slowly browsing through all the threads here while waiting for live chat so I can try to retrieve my old account back (my old email was deactivated).

Don't buy Heavensward until you hit the end of the story available without it, unless you absolutely cannot live without being a lizardgirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

wfwon posted:

It's the expansion yeah, but everything except the new race is locked behind completion of the main story. So unless you really want to be a dragon person, you can wait.

• Locked thread