Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milk_dud
May 5, 2014
Finally got around to finishing. Pretty easy run as chemistry solved all the problems that archery and dancing couldn't.

Now for run number 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Run #2, rolled Summoner/Red Mage/Beastmaster/Chemist.

I'm torn between using the job fair to replace that last one with something like a Monk or Berserker, or just refusing to equip !Mix.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Black Mage/White Mage/Geomancer/Time Mage.

Does anywhere in World 2 sell rods, or am I stuck grinding out Wild Nakks without a full team? Not to mention all the money I'm gonna need to get all that Time Magic....

Fork Tower's gonna suck, isn't it.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

MarsDragon posted:

Does anywhere in World 2 sell rods, or am I stuck grinding out Wild Nakks without a full team? Not to mention all the money I'm gonna need to get all that Time Magic....

Gaia is considered physical, so its less awful than it could be, and a chicken knife goes a long way, even on a mage. You might be able to get by without grinding out too many rods, as the aga spells are purchasable in moore.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MarsDragon posted:

Kelb sells poison rods but that's it for world 2.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

so with blue mage/ninja/mystic/chemist is there a way to use the chicken knife without proccing the flee effect?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

gatesealer posted:

so with blue mage/ninja/mystic/chemist is there a way to use the chicken knife without proccing the flee effect?

Have the ninja hold it in their left hand, IIRC.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

gatesealer posted:

Ninja can dual wield it with the Twin Lance in the main hand and it won't proc.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Run #3: Zerk/Red/Bard/Samurai

Just got to the Barrier Tower and realized I never got the song from Lix. How bad is that going to affect me? Is it worth going back to my pre-Earth save to get it before leaving World 1, or is Romeo's Ballad good enough to handle things?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Mustard Iceman posted:

Run #3: Zerk/Red/Bard/Samurai

Just got to the Barrier Tower and realized I never got the song from Lix. How bad is that going to affect me? Is it worth going back to my pre-Earth save to get it before leaving World 1, or is Romeo's Ballad good enough to handle things?

Your Red Mage can cast Confuse anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

Sure, Alluring Air is kinda helpful for confusing the group of three Galacats on North Mountain for float, but I don't think it's worth reloading for, no.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Alluring Air hits more reliably than Confuse, and it's multi-target. I'd go back for it, but that's just me.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Because I'm completely blind to the inner-workings of this game, what's the likelyhood of an omega kill with a knight/red mage/ninja/samurai team? I know Shinryu is just a matter of wonder wand + knight shenanigans.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Man I've only been assigned boring jobs so far. knight, berserker and ranger that I can't even select yet

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

In exdeath's castle and the lava room is kicking my rear end. Any way of getting float on black mage/red mage/ninja/dragoon, or should I just !smoke past everything and quickly move through the room.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Summon/Zerk/Zerk/Geo

Methinks I have a bunch of grinding to do in world 3!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any ways for freelancers to exploit Liquid Flame's weaknesses somehow? Can't seem to keep up enough item healing with those firas that basically one-shot me.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

Are there any ways for freelancers to exploit Liquid Flame's weaknesses somehow? Can't seem to keep up enough item healing with those firas that basically one-shot me.

They can break rods.

They can also use the Healing Staff.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Idioteque Dance posted:

break two ice rods and keep on truckin'

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Welp time to try out this "rod breaking" malarkey I guess

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Idioteque Dance posted:

Welp time to try out this "rod breaking" malarkey I guess

might actually take you more than two with how low freelancer's magic score is but it shouldn't take more than three or four

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

oldskool posted:

Summon/Zerk/Zerk/Geo

Methinks I have a bunch of grinding to do in world 3!

Shouldn't be that bad, actually. A Berserker with the Rune Axe and level 6 summon does insane damage, and you can just turn your Geomancer into a second summoner. It'll be a bit monotonous though, since you can't really change your strategy much.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Cool, thanks!

e. holy poo poo. Nope, 2 rods is plenty

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 26, 2015

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Starting with four thieves, I remember someone saying daggers could be stolen early on, but I am not sure where. I thought ship graveyard but the skeletons claim not to have anything. This two-dagger business is no good.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Huxley posted:

Starting with four thieves, I remember someone saying daggers could be stolen early on, but I am not sure where. I thought ship graveyard but the skeletons claim not to have anything. This two-dagger business is no good.

Skeletons have them as a drop, but not a steal.

Y-BURNS in Walse Tower have your first stealable weapons, Mythril Daggers.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You can't steal daggers, but the skeletons have them as rare drops. It's a 1/16 chance, I believe, so it might take a while. You don't really need more than one for Siren, though.

Edit: Beaten like four Thieves fighting Garula.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I've been waiting like 12 hours for my run to be approved. Does it normally take this long?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

The Mattybee posted:

I've been waiting like 12 hours for my run to be approved. Does it normally take this long?

Have you checked the player list on the site to see if you're there? Sometimes the twitter bot can be slow to reply though you're in the system. http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
fucccckkk

how do i beat this guy without having float to cast? he kills my red mage and dancer with one earth shake. then another one to kill everyone else!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Idioteque Dance posted:

Have you checked the player list on the site to see if you're there? Sometimes the twitter bot can be slow to reply though you're in the system. http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php

My victory was logged for processing like, twelve hours ago. My understanding is that if it has not finished processing, I cannot start another run. :(

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Well my team for this fiesta made random battles a breeze since it was Red Mage/Time Mage/Samurai/Dragoon so I had Red Magic to help clear through world one encounters, and I didn't leave Galuf's basement til I had Iainuki on someone. Neo Exdeath ended up going down have money thrown at him, and eating 5 Meteor castings from my time mage a turn. In retrospect I probably should've just had my Time Mage throw money as well, but I probably still wouldn't have them do that.

I've also started another run, and the classes I've rolled are Black Mage/Bard/Dragoon/Dragoon, so thankfully I won't have to do anything in terms of AP grinding, though I'll probably have to do some for gil, and I'll try to keep it at that.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
heh, just got lucky as hell using save states

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

hubris.height posted:

fucccckkk

how do i beat this guy without having float to cast? he kills my red mage and dancer with one earth shake. then another one to kill everyone else!

For future runs, you can head up to North Mountain and confuse Galacats as a source of float.

It's pretty luck-based (especially if your only method of confusion is a Tempting Tango proc from the Dancing Dagger) and you lose it if you drink healing water/use a tent/die, but it's there.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

hubris.height posted:

fucccckkk

The foolproof way is to confuse a Gaelicat on North Mountain until it casts Float on you, and then putting a reflect ring on that person. 100 G's is reflectable and it will completely lock down Catastrophe because that's all it'll cast.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
how do i beat twintania

i guess there's supposed to be a chance to cast odin when s/he charges gigaflare, but i've tried waiting for that and going to use lainku and s/he immediately gets to cast gigaflare that same second, without a chance to do the instant kill move

e: samurai, dancer, red mage, berserker

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Alabaster White posted:

The foolproof way is to confuse a Gaelicat on North Mountain until it casts Float on you, and then putting a reflect ring on that person. 100 G's is reflectable and it will completely lock down Catastrophe because that's all it'll cast.

this would be a good way to do it. gotta try that next time

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I just got the earth crystal but Galuf and Krile left. What's the rules on job assignment when you have 4 jobs for 3 spots?

E: my final job is dancer.

Knight/Zerker/Beastmaster/Dancer

...now what?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

hubris.height posted:

how do i beat twintania

i guess there's supposed to be a chance to cast odin when s/he charges gigaflare, but i've tried waiting for that and going to use lainku and s/he immediately gets to cast gigaflare that same second, without a chance to do the instant kill move

e: samurai, dancer, red mage, berserker

Use the assassin's dagger to just attack. Its only a 25% chance, but it works reliably.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

FairGame posted:

I just got the earth crystal but Galuf and Krile left. What's the rules on job assignment when you have 4 jobs for 3 spots?

E: my final job is dancer.

Knight/Zerker/Beastmaster/Dancer

...now what?

Just pretend that Galuf is whichever job your other three aren't using at the moment.

Chalax
Jun 16, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Team Mash Attack With Strategic Interludes is finally assembled. At least +30% HP should temper my dancer's fragility a little.

How The gently caress did you beat Byblos with that combo, because that's what I've got so far (no dancer yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hey, just tweeted this at gilgabot but realized I should post it here too because Fartz.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread