Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zaphod42 posted:

There's been a kerfuffle over Destiny, Bungie's latest game lately, because they announced the next DLC/expansion is $40 (twice the cost of the first two) but doesn't quite seem worth it, as well as a $80 collector's edition with several exclusive items you can't get anywhere else. Collector's editions with exclusives are nothing new in gaming, but for a game that's been out a whole year that's kinda messed up. People who are loyal fans who bought the game at launch and got both DLC already would have to buy the game a second time, including both DLC, just to get the exclusives.

There was an interview to discuss these issues as well as the European pricing being an inappropriate direct conversion ($40 = £40 right?? $80 = £80?? no??) which seemed remarkably tone deaf and came across as smug and money-grubbing while dismissing concerns:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-destiny-the-taken-king-director-defends-40-expansion-price-tag

And then, with the fanbase already frustrated and grumbling loudly on the internet, they announced this today:

:master:

Forbes is scathing:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/06/22/bungies-disastrous-taken-king-interview-could-have-ramifications-for-destiny/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/06/24/destiny-announces-ill-timed-red-bull-exclusive-quest-for-the-taken-king/

Apparently, a flyer being distributed to 7/11 managers.

"stages that mirror Red Bull's brand traits of adventure, fun and comaraderie."

loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Have you seen the stuff red bull sponsor? Adventure and fun are often valid descriptions and lots of their cooperative stuff (fluggtag?) emphasises fun and teamwork.

There are worse things to get angry about.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Have you seen the stuff red bull sponsor? Adventure and fun are often valid descriptions and lots of their cooperative stuff (fluggtag?) emphasises fun and teamwork.

There are worse things to get angry about.

"Destiny consumers are used to paying a premium for downloadable content similar to this quest"

It's pretty bad when even ad execs think you're easy pickings.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

turnways posted:

"Destiny consumers are used to paying a premium for downloadable content similar to this quest"

Okay I missed that and it's pretty condescending, but the complaint above seemed to be about brand traits.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

turnways posted:

Except it's true? All new quests so far have been part of $20 DLC packs, so I don't understand what's so double-mega-Hitler bad about offering one for the price of a can of Red Bull. Plus I'm pretty sure the descriptions of 99% of marketing campaigns are exactly as goofy as that, consumers just generally don't get to see them.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Ryoshi posted:

Except it's true? All new quests so far have been part of $20 DLC packs, so I don't understand what's so double-mega-Hitler bad about offering one for the price of a can of Red Bull. Plus I'm pretty sure the descriptions of 99% of marketing campaigns are exactly as goofy as that, consumers just generally don't get to see them.

"Dumb moves in marketing" doesn't have to mean ineffective; this is standard stupid gamer crap folks raise a stink about because it's so blatant and highlights the dumbest parts of "gaming culture". I mean check out the quote copy from that Forbes article:

quote:

“I’m really excited to be a part of this partnership,” said Michael “Flamesword” Chaves, Red Bull eSport athlete. “I love that Red Bull and Destiny have a shared sense of adventure, camaraderie, and pushing boundaries that both brands embody.”

Every word of that is funny as hell.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, despite the arguments against it enough people are buying into it. It reminds me a bit of the way stuff in Japan is marketed towards Otaku, and usually priced by using the formula "how much money do we want to make and how many people are so broken they'll buy what we put out no matter how much it costs? OK, so that's how much it will be so we make the right number of limited editions"; so you end up with things like a single 20-minute episode of something on a DVD costing $90 or more, TV show seasons costing $250, and some short-run series costing several thousand dollars with no "cheap" edition available; either pay the cost of a tropical vacation or don't watch the thing at all.

On a similar note since not everyone knows this: a lot of the first DVD sets to do "full seasons with every episode" in North America (Europe did this much faster) were Sci-Fi stuff that appealed to the right customer base that charging $100+ a season was doable. Hell, in Star Trek's case, they were doing single-episode VHS releases of every episode. We had a store that could get pretty much anything and we had customers special-ordering Deep Space Nine episodes on VHS at $15 a pop. Dude, it's VHS, you can tape it yourself. :negative:

Action Comics Vol. 1 is the worst thing that ever happened.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

univbee posted:

Deep Space Nine episodes on VHS at $15 a pop

I remember staring in disbelief at VHS tapes of single episodes Dragon Ball Z at Suncoast marked $28.99 back in the day. And they flew off the goddamn shelves :cry:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Come on guys, we're talking about dumb moves in marketing, not moves that keep working because people are broken and hosed up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I remember staring in disbelief at VHS tapes of single episodes Dragon Ball Z at Suncoast marked $28.99 back in the day. And they flew off the goddamn shelves :cry:

I remember owning VHSes of double-episodes of Dragon Ball Z as a kid. They weren't even good episodes, they were filler between the Freiza and Cell sagas. I distinctly remember one of them was the grand mother of 'pointless filler' episodes, the one where Goku and Piccolo learned to drive.

They still seemed like a good deal at the time, just because there was no other way to get Dragon Ball Z on demand. Sure it aired every morning before school, but what if I wanted to watch Dragon Ball Z at a different time? Plus those videos came out before the episodes actually aired, so basically it was the smart choice.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Slime posted:

Come on guys, we're talking about dumb moves in marketing, not moves that keep working because people are broken and hosed up.

Can't it be both? :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I don't wanna keep harping on about videogames too much if some people get bothered by baby toys, but since some of you kept posting about it I thought it'd be fun to update:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/06/25/bungie-apologizes-to-fans-over-destiny-the-taken-king-dlc-offers-vip-rewards/

Bungie has posted an official apology, including a personal letter from Luke Smith. They're also going to offer the exclusives as DLC now, so everybody pretty much gets what they wanted, except Ebay scalpers I guess. (Its $20 which is pretty crazy overpriced though, that's the cost of the first two DLC expansions. It should be 10 or 15 at most, but whatever, better than having to pay $80 if you want those things.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Cleretic posted:

I remember owning VHSes of double-episodes of Dragon Ball Z as a kid. They weren't even good episodes, they were filler between the Freiza and Cell sagas. I distinctly remember one of them was the grand mother of 'pointless filler' episodes, the one where Goku and Piccolo learned to drive.

Those were the best ones, you got a good deal

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Not the old 'you woo' scam again?! For shame...

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't wanna keep harping on about videogames too much if some people get bothered by baby toys, but since some of you kept posting about it I thought it'd be fun to update:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/06/25/bungie-apologizes-to-fans-over-destiny-the-taken-king-dlc-offers-vip-rewards/

Bungie has posted an official apology, including a personal letter from Luke Smith. They're also going to offer the exclusives as DLC now, so everybody pretty much gets what they wanted, except Ebay scalpers I guess. (Its $20 which is pretty crazy overpriced though, that's the cost of the first two DLC expansions. It should be 10 or 15 at most, but whatever, better than having to pay $80 if you want those things.)

So it's $20 for three new items, three new emoticons, and three new color schemes for your character?

That's, uh, more than a little crazy overpriced.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Apple has started pulling games from the app store which depict the Confederate flag.

Including Civil War-era wargames.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/25/apple-removes-confederate-flag/

quote:

It's looking like Apple has pulled everything from the App Store that features a Confederate flag, regardless of context. The reasoning Apple is sending developers is "...because it includes images of the confederate flag used in offensive and mean-spirited ways."

Look how mean-spirited and offensive this is:

Waiting for them to pull _Gettysburg_, _Glory_, _Gone With The Wind_, and _Shenandoah_ from the iTunes movie store.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Apple has started pulling games from the app store which depict the Confederate flag.

Waiting for them to pull _Gettysburg_, _Glory_, _Gone With The Wind_, and _Shenandoah_ from the iTunes movie store.

They probably expected to become the target of some sjw campaign. Still pretty dumb, unless they're planning to update the games to use the official confederate flag (stars and bars)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Commas are important:

http://screamer.deadspin.com/banner-urges-englands-world-cup-fans-to-come-on-their-g-1713712446

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Phanatic posted:

Commas are important:

No, they meant it how they wrote it. :colbert:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That doesn't even make sense as a cheer.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Phanatic posted:

To be fair, that does look like a Confederate offensive advance.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Don't mind if I do.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

WebDog posted:

I recall another early one from the horse armor days that was roundly mocked was some Japanese air-fighting game where there were unique skins based off some anime characters. The kicker was that if no one else had brought the skins only you were able to see your pretty pink plane in deathmatches.

It was one of the Ace Combat games.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Regrettable posted:

It was one of the Ace Combat games.

Specifically, Ace Combat 6, though there are still animu planes in more recent titles.

You like meticulously-researched, true-to-life digital models of fighter jets, right? Well for a dollar more, you can have anime pop idols airbrushed all over that poo poo

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Wheeze posted:

Speaking of misguided attempts to appeal to the kids these days, here's Chevy's latest press release:

The Verge's attempt at a translation. This is what the young people like, right?
I linked it to my partner, who was actually able to make some sense of it. Though InediblePenguin is conversational in modern French, and can read Chaucer and Beowulf in the original, so ... dude has a knack for languages.

sorry for the chatlog posted:

the only thing i can definitely interpret
is the second sentence
[city car music, stop] in two days time we'll be unveiling a new car chicks love :V
the happy/sad thing is drama masks = a stage = pulling the curtains back u see
something baout better gas mileage but i'm not sure what all the sports bullshit ahs to do with it
the sports stuff is followed by a bunch of things that are female coded so maybe it's trying to establish that dudes will like being able to take the car to do sports and women will like saving the money to buy girl things and also their kids will fit in it??? chevy corporate says this new idea in cars will be better for the planet

Reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIcec_bQss

I think it's kinda cute, at least for that specific one -- Romeo and Juliet was basically the 16th-century version of exactly that; see the Baz Luhrmann flick, which is possibly the most accurate-to-the-text film rendition.

Cleretic posted:

I could honestly see a retelling of Romeo and Juliet done entirely by text messages as a silly little art project thing. Not as a serious attempt to appeal to anyone, more just as an experiment with the text and the medium.

Romeo and Juliet were lovely and infuriating teenagers, too, so it's not as far from the source material as it could be.
Yeah, that. Also Shakespeare was pretty much the Seth MacFarlane of his day -- writing lovely plays for trash people. Just because the people talk what we moderns consider fancy doesn't mean Shakespeare was fancy -- his theatre was in the bad part of town and tickets were cheap.

Zaphod42 posted:

:suicide:

I can totally understand the appeal of "Shakespeare for Dummies" since old-English is really hard for some people. (Its not that loving hard though)

But this is just waaaaaaaay too goddamned far.
Point of order: Shakespeare is modern English, just early on when he was inventing half the words. People getting pissy about the OED adding the meme of the year forget that ol' Billy S. played fast and loose with the concept of "english language".

Chaucer is middle:

quote:

And prively he caughte hire by the queynte,
And seyde, 'Y-wis, but if ich have my wille,
For derne love of thee, lemman, I spille.'
You should be able to figure that out, if not the pun at the end. "Spille" means die but also cum.

and this is old english:

quote:

stop feorran to hror haegstealdmon, hof his agen hreagl hondum up, hrand under gyrdels hyre stondendre, stiþes nathwaet, worhte his willan: wagedan buta.
Stepping from afar came the sturdy bachelor, hove up his clothing with his hand, thrust under the girdle of [it|her] standing there, something stiff, and worked his will: they jerked around together

The punchline is "churning butter". (Don't wanna ruin the thousand-year-old joke for anybody who hasn't read the Exeter Codex :v: )

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, that. Also Shakespeare was pretty much the Seth MacFarlane of his day -- writing lovely plays for trash people. Just because the people talk what we moderns consider fancy doesn't mean Shakespeare was fancy -- his theatre was in the bad part of town and tickets were cheap.

C'mon, the dude was performing in person for the Queen and premièring plays at the Inns of Court. And Southwark is hardly a complete shithole as far as Elizabethan London goes.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Mr. Flunchy posted:

C'mon, the dude was performing in person for the Queen and premièring plays at the Inns of Court. And Southwark is hardly a complete shithole as far as Elizabethan London goes.

Yeah. I've noticed a lot of people tend to overcorrect for the notion that Shakespeare is super-fancy by insisting that he was super low class and vulgar. But the thing about him was that he wrote for both groups at the same time, so his work would have appeal for people who wanted fancy artistic theatre, but also people who wanted dick jokes.

(Edit: people do the same with Joseph Conrad and his racism)

GIANT OUIJA BOARD has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Jun 26, 2015

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The point is that Shakespeare wasn't an unadulterated pure Artistic Artist For Arty People and translating him into more accessible "lower-class" modes ISN'T some kind of barbarism for stupid people who don't deserve Shakespeare. He was ALWAYS writing for the lower classes even if he wasn't writing JUST for them. edit: and Southwark was not a really nice part of town either - it was where they had prisons and whorehouses and theaters and other unfancy places tbh

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Jun 26, 2015

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Billy Bard had tons of great lowbrow dirty jokes in his plays, which redeems several of the ones with stupid plots. Love his poems though! But even in those he talks about his girlfriend's breath reeking. :allears:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The discrepancy is partly because Shakespeare was something of a transitional figure. The theatre before his time was really, really trashy, with acting troupes basically being about on par with buskers. Shakespeare and his contemporaries managed to elevate it into an art form that the upper class could patronize freely without being ashamed.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

So you're saying theatre used to be like most anime, and Shakespeare is Miyazaki? And that the comparison I just made, right now, was really really good? Ok cool

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

So you're saying theatre used to be like most anime, and Shakespeare is Miyazaki? And that the comparison I just made, right now, was really really good? Ok cool

unironically yeah

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Karma Monkey posted:

Love his poems though! But even in those he talks about his girlfriend's breath reeking. :allears:

Nah, those were the ones about his boyfriend.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

or his son! could go either way

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

I think you mean their boyfriends. We all saw "Shakespeare" and know that he was a them.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

So it's $20 for three new items, three new emoticons, and three new color schemes for your character?

That's, uh, more than a little crazy overpriced.

Hey bro they're just giving the people what they want you nerds are never happy.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Quick curiosity, does any game other than Arkham Knight and Dead or Alive offer pre-order/exclusive DLC to the public some time later? Or are you just boned if you didn't pre-order/buy on the right system?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Quick curiosity, does any game other than Arkham Knight and Dead or Alive offer pre-order/exclusive DLC to the public some time later? Or are you just boned if you didn't pre-order/buy on the right system?

Some companies are just giving it away a year later. Bioware may have dicked consumers around but they've released all the pre-order freebies for their games down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

XCOM did it but since the preorder bonus was the Guile hair not selling it for everyone would be unthinkable