Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

frajaq posted:

Let's just go to Miami fight mutated crocodiles

Some of the Florida locals would make great ghouls, poo poo could get weirder the further you get into the panhandle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They did a Lovecraft bit in Fallout 3, it was pretty ok I guess.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I'd mostly like a lovecraft bit because:

1. Fallout is a great setting for it, you can have any amount of weird poo poo and it fits.
2. Fallout has gattling laser guns, so you can subvert the old trope of only being able to run away from the monsters.
3. It's an excuse to put really powerful enemies in that can challenge a guy in power armor with a minigun.
4. Lovecraft works well with a videogame format, because his stories are all about some weedy guy blundering into something that he doesn't understand and isn't explained, it is really well suited to showing not telling and you don't have to understand what's happening really. Just make a creepy and dangerous environment which fucks with you a bunch.
5. Excuse to have really cool setpieces and environments that are a break from the normal fallout fayre.

Seriously I want to shoot a mi-go in the dick, let me do that todd howard.

Being faced with an unspeakable, incomprehensible, dreamlike force of evil would be interesting for a video game, I just don't know if it really fits the Fallout universe, which is more about surviving in a harsh man-made post-apocalyptic.environment. Even for the most ridiculous, unrealistic things they try to come up with a sciency explanation like FEV.

codespace
May 3, 2011

Shugojin posted:

gently caress I wish the Dark Tower had actually ended that way :negative:

ftfy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I've never read a Lovecraft story but I don't get the impression they're supposed to be funny

They aren't, but at this point it's so played out that the only way people know how to include it in another medium anymore is with tongue-in-cheek lolirony.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I like the twist endings of Lovecraft-inspired things that the beast was humanity all along because really, nothing else can be more terrifying to someone

This just makes me want more (Rod Sterling) Twilight Zone-style quests :allears:

"All along the beast was...[Karma check]ME! Just me! I've killed thousands of people just because it seemed funny or I wanted the gun they were using even though I knew it probably wasn't going to drop!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Suave Fedora posted:

Can you describe the Freedom Trail and what sections of the city it cuts through?

The Freedom Trail is interesting, because a lot of the time tourists will walk up and ask where it is, and all you can really say is "you're standing on it." It's just a red trail on the ground that passes by historical sites in Boston, mostly related to early America and the Revolution. They do walking tours. It's mostly in the downtown area where the high rises and stuff like the State House is, but because that's also historical Boston, there all sorts of weird, ancient stuff and brownstone buildings lurking around. One of the things that makes the city a decent location for Fallout is that, for America, so much of it is old. You can leave a lot of the real Boston intact, even if you have a timeline that diverges after World War II. There's an archaeology team right now trying to dig up the original, first High School in Boston (and in America, depending on who you ask) from 1635.

The Charles River will definitely feature prominently in the game. Besides the fact that it's infamous for its pollution, the BU Bridge and Massachusetts Ave bridges go over it, which in "The Institute" legend, are measured in "Smoots" as part of a fraternity pledge.

Realistically, I suppose the city has about as much potential as a lot of cities, but being a person who's lived here my whole life and had to train myself out of the accent, I am extremely and unreasonably excited about the setting. I want a Somerville expansion that travels to one of the most densely populated places in the country.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was in Boston for two days last year. Tail end of May and it was still cold enough to need a jacket and basically fog and rain the whole weekend.

Any of you Boston residents remember this Duck boat crash? I was aboard when it happened, and you can see me in the crowd in picture 3 (the back of my head in the black jacket with the brown backpack). The driver only had a learner's permit (which he didn't have on him at the time) and it wasn't his car. He was at the intersection perpendicular to ours and slammed on the gas when pulling out; it had just rained, so his wheels spun on the wet road and he fishtailed until he jumped the median, sideswiped the taxi, and got lodged under our vehicle. Barely felt a shudder from my seat in the middle.

They just loaded us all onto a new Duck and the tour driver almost seamlessly continued giving us a tour as we crossed the river to take a detour; he knew the city well enough to talk about all the history and monuments on that side even though it wasn't meant to be part of our tour.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Duck Boat tour people are extremely experienced at interruptions because it is a time-honored tradition for high school students to heckle them mercilessly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fallout 4's writing and gameplay design itself is a Lovecraftian abomination that'd drive anyone insane just thinking about it too hard. The Lovecraft DLC expansion will be meta as hell.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Spun Dog posted:

Some of the Florida locals would make great ghouls, poo poo could get weirder the further you get into the panhandle.

I think a New Orleans/bayou setting would rock with that idea.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Bicyclops posted:

The Duck Boat tour people are extremely experienced at interruptions because it is a time-honored tradition for high school students to heckle them mercilessly.

Please tell me this takes the form of large crowds of students flapping their arms and quacking.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nevets posted:

Please tell me this takes the form of large crowds of students flapping their arms and quacking.

That's what everyone tries first, but those tour guide fuckers have microphones and they're always prepped with a canned response: "Looks like we have a few Yankees fans over here."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The other thing is that the Duck Tour guides will hold their mic up to the speaker to create a really painful, piercing feedback noise. People have temporarily lost their high frequency hearing on those tours.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tourists in Boston go to see ducks? But I can go and see ducks where I live, why would I want to travel thousands of miles and go see ducks?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

Tourists in Boston go to see ducks? But I can go and see ducks where I live, why would I want to travel thousands of miles and go see ducks?

It's a sightseeing tour in an amphibious World War II vehicle. They also do a similar thing in Halifax, Nova Scotia, so tourists must really like boatcars, I guess.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really hope Bethesda remembers that the bombs fell a week before Halloween. I want to visit Salem and I want it decked the for the holiday. I'm going to be bummed if there isn't an old haunted house I can walk around in.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really hope Bethesda remembers that the bombs fell a week before Halloween. I want to visit Salem and I want it decked the for the holiday. I'm going to be bummed if there isn't an old haunted house I can walk around in.

Ok, but it's the new Little Lamplight , full of kids in Halloween costumes that managed to survive the wasteland by being spooky and scary in the haunted house, scaring mutants and raiders away. But not the PC tho! He's better and smarter than the rest

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

marktheando posted:

These ducks are especially rapey.

I've heard that Duck Tour guides have lobbied for permission to introduce specially bred ducks that are aggressive towards pedestrians (because it makes the tours "more dynamic").

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

These ducks are especially rapey.

I've heard that Duck Tour guides have lobbied for permission to introduce specially bred ducks that are aggressive towards pedestrians (because it makes the tours "more dynamic").

Jurassic Park 0.5

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't wait until I'm holed up inside an ancient war vehicle painted with schmaltzy 50s ducks on it, and an army of hyper-intelligent, mutant ducks are trying to break in to hollow out my stomach to use it as a nest for their eggs. The quest will be called Make Way for Ducklings.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bicyclops posted:

I can't wait until I'm holed up inside an ancient war vehicle painted with schmaltzy 50s ducks on it, and an army of hyper-intelligent, mutant ducks are trying to break in to hollow out my stomach to use it as a nest for their eggs. The quest will be called Make Way for Ducklings.

Lay Egg Is FALSE!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I've only been to Boston two or three times and mostly around Independence Day, when it's predictably a shitshow. A friend of mine lived in Quincy and a bunch of us would go up every once in a while because she was very sick and we wanted to spend time together before she passed. I sort of hate it but there's also a lot that's wonderful about it, particularly the historical stuff, and that's why the setting is one of the bits I'm actually excited for.

I also think settlement building could prove to be pretty good and it's exactly the sort of comparatively freeform thing I like. I'm just disappointed in the sacrifices made to serve what have been consistently been the two worst parts of Bethesda games for as long as I've played them (the story and that small contingent of fans who got lost on their way to a BIoWare game)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I hope I can do retarded things with my Fallout base like have a sentry gun set to target anyone who approaches next to a box full of food that NPCs will continually walk up to because of Radiant AI.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

I hope I can do retarded things with my Fallout base like have a sentry gun set to target anyone who approaches next to a box full of food that NPCs will continually walk up to because of Radiant AI.

And a Mr Handy set to auto loot any skulls off dead civilians and put them in a pile at the front gates

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Good morning sir!"
*dumps out 15 skulls on the ground*

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

"Good morning sir!"
*dumps out 15 skulls on the ground*

Give him SI Haskill's voice acting and I'm in.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Bicyclops posted:

I want a Somerville expansion that travels to one of the most densely populated places in the country.

Seeing as the map goes out to at least Concord, Somerville will definitely be in the base game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I hope you're ready for a postapocalyptic Somerville with as many as twenty unique NPCs!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

You have to assert yourself as the alpha with a special perk that you can only pick up from a certain unmarked quest and will only trigger if you carry and use a modified duck call. But once that is done, every velicquacker will descend upon your enemies like radioactive breadcrumbs.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Point Lookout was great DLC and as a proud Rhode Islander they could do some really cool poo poo with the mansions in Newport.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So, realtalk, what kind of DLC do you think this game will get? The last two fallouts each had four mini-expansions (well, FO3 has 5, but Anchorage only takes like an hour to play through), but there's a long tradition of only doing two expansions for Elder Scrolls games (or three if you count Hearthfire for Skyrim, which you shouldn't) and those are usually somewhat longer, so Beth could really go either way.

If they stick with the formula from the previous Fallouts, I'd expect them to have at least one based around exploring a raideriffic wilderness somewhere (maybe Maine, or Vermont, but northwestern Mass fits as well), a long dungeon crawl (or two) in some sort of claustrophic prewar ruin/wacky superscience facility (one of the other big universities maybe, or Providence since it's already a cyclopean labyrinth), a more roleplay heavy (by Bethesda standards) one in an isolated society (lots of places work, but post-apocalyptic Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard would be neat), and probably a weird/wacky one as well (weird science, aliens, or Lovecraft are all likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to piss on my ancestors' graves with spooooky Salem either). They could mix and match of course, or throw in some curveballs, but If they have a bunch of expansions I'd expect them to be fairly small and self contained (one little town and a patch of woods, one big facility, etc.).

Alternatively, if there are fewer dlcs, there's a better chance they could wind up resembling real expansions with more room for exploration and replay and less of a railsy in-and-out-and-over-with sort of feel. If they went that approach they'd sacrifice a bit of variety, but would have a better chance of making the dlcs seem like more than just dumb fun sidestories. Past TES expansions weren't all equally ambitious, but the better ones have introduced fully populated cities to explore, new lands to immerse yourself in, and quests that extend the narrative and expand the scope of the game in ways we haven't really seen from the Fallout DLCs. If they wanted to really dig into the New England setting, this would be the best way to do it. An expansion set in Connecticut could have backwoods rockfarmers, gritty Neo-Hartford junkdealers (both kinds of junk), and snobby university ghouls banding together to fight off invaders. An expansion set in Rhode Island could fit half the state on its world map and really let you dig into exploring an urban environment and its story could riff on RI's history as the colony founded by people who couldn't get along with the Puritan jerks in Massachusetts (also some of my ancestors). A game set in Northern New England could explore the complicated relationship the rural states there have with Massachusetts urbanites (Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine combined have fewer people than the Boston metro area) and though it might be beyond Bethesda's abilities, a game with realistic Maine (or French Canadian!) accents would be incredible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I find some supernatural or quasi-supernatural stuff (like the Salem Witch Trials or Lovecraft stuff) likely.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Epic High Five posted:

Lovecraft is played out and was never that funny or spooky to begin with. I hope they avoid the subject like the plague

Or if they do, they should make it a Point Lookout skin so that it's an unfun, spongey slog that makes you resent living

Actually Lovecraft would be somewhat appropriate, From the Mountains of Madness was serialized in the same 1930s-50s sci-fi pulps that the rest of the Fallout universe was pulled from. I hope that the quest designers at Bethesda read the topical stories from pulps like Amazing and Astounding because a lot of them (and especially ones about the future and atomic weapons) are hilarious.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Here's an interesting video by Gopher (a mod creator/reviewer who has made UI and other mods for Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim) containing his thoughts on what if Fallout 4 has no skills. He has some interesting points, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOOz_fHHt0o

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

steinrokkan posted:

Jurassic Park 0.5

At least they'd have feathers.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Duckbag posted:

So, realtalk, what kind of DLC do you think this game will get?

Bethesda's moving away from the DLC model exhibited in Fallout 3 because it's easier for T. Howard to give birth to one or two larger, healthier DLC rather than a bunch of smaller DLC ("no more puppy litters" I believe is how Pete Hines put it; his friend, T. Howard, is no dog).

If DLC #1 could be summarized in two words, it would be "More Commonwealth"--an almost scene-for-scene ripoff of Old World Blues, except with less player agency and a persistently zanier "science gone mad!" tone that will see the player mating cyborg mole rats, building a robot kissing booth, and racing to find a radiation-resistant crop that must save humanity before the pre-war food supplies run out for good. In the course of these (mis)adventures, s/he will partner up with a hyperintelligent chimp named "11-111", but instead of the ape using a custom model (or even a rehash of New Vegas' "spore carrier" skeleton), it will just be a human NPC with custom facegen slider settings.

DLC #2 will be basically be Skyrim: Hearthfire 2.0 , built specifically to add additional scenarios and items for players to encounter and use in the construction of their miserable trash villages.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
How close is Montreal? I don't know poo poo about that part of the world but post-apocalyptic french-canadians would be interesting.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

texaholic posted:

How close is Montreal? I don't know poo poo about that part of the world but post-apocalyptic french-canadians would be interesting.

Quebec City would be cool because it is the closest thing to a proper European city in this continent. Post apocalyptic French-wannabes is a big avenue to drive down.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I hope there's a bunch of lovely pre-order content packs that you can get for 2 bucks a pop. I want the bomb to drop and halfway through the explosion a prompt pauses the cutscene and says:

quote:

"THE PATRIOT PACK HAS BEEN ADDED TO YOUR INVENTORY"

[OK]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Rabidredneck posted:

Here's an interesting video by Gopher (a mod creator/reviewer who has made UI and other mods for Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim) containing his thoughts on what if Fallout 4 has no skills. He has some interesting points, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOOz_fHHt0o

The new PC's proficiency with firearms and various other survival based skills can probably be explained by them having a military background. You are apparently supposed to be heading to a Veteran's Ball that evening, perhaps to meet all your buddies you served in the war with, ready to reminisce about kicking Hirohito's Chairman Cheng's rear end back across the Pacific. The fact that you can aim a gun is from your basic training and experience, the perks (in the absence of skills) reflect you getting more skilled with them after getting back in the habit.

Or maybe that won't be it at all. Maybe we should wait and see instead of getting up in arms on baseless speculation.

• Locked thread