Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Fuuuck all these loving people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My friend just bought a 1 br condo for around $425k.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

HookShot posted:

I will be shocked if that proposal passes environment this fall. Literally their entire snowfall forecast is "well we're near Whistler so it'll be the same as them" even though they're directly next to the water so a lot warmer, and lower than Whistler. They've had ten years to actually measure snowfall, which means their mountain resort doesn't actually get snow. It's going to get nixed. Plus there's about 50 other reasons why it won't work but I'm phone posting and 'no snow' is a big or for a ski resort.

The residential units will go ahead regardless of the ski resort.

Every year it seems like Cypress/Grouse/Seymour are closer to permanent death so I'm surprised they're even considering expansion. I'm old enough to remember skating on Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park, which hasn't been possible since mid 80s.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And how is feeling with his newfound sense of pride of ownership?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

I think torontonians are rapidly making a solid case for taking away the crown of worst waste of skin from vancouverites

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-million-dollar-home-hyrdo-pole-809202

loving :lol: at paying over a million for that house.

On a related note, please stop sending your suburban Rob Ford voting BMW driving debt ridden yuppie trash up to Barrie, GTA. We had that group covered already we didnt need more of them. :argh:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

This has to go in the next OP of this thread or the current one.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I literally can't see the sky out of my $300,000 500 sq foot condo and those guys are upset about a pretty nice pole. Clearly they don't know what it means to buy property in this country.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Serious question: why go to the press and turn an authentically-felt if ultimately-minor annoyance into a loud advertisement for your own pettiness and a signal to the entire future market for your property why they shouldn't buy it?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:lol: @ the "view" that pole's ruining. Other mini-McMansions and some parked cars.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lexicon posted:

Serious question: why go to the press and turn an authentically-felt if ultimately-minor annoyance into a loud advertisement for your own pettiness and a signal to the entire future market for your property why they shouldn't buy it?

In their insanely entitled minds this is actually an injustice. They were probably hoping to shame the evil hydro company into moving the pole or magic it away. This is a thing that might harm their PROPERTY VALUE and maintaining and increasing property values is pretty much the most sacred responsibilities of society. They could be banking on X% equity growth per year to make their house finances work and this pole might be enough to set them back. Or even if it doesn't, it freaks them out because it MIGHT effect their property values, you don't mess with property values. That's something everyone understands (other than non-citizen renters who shouldn't even be allowed to vote) so surely an article about the government or city workers harming sacred property values will turn everyone to their side.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lexicon posted:

As Ian Young points out, "foreign investors" is a total canard. The only question that matters is the presence of "foreign money" - i.e. money external to the [mostly middling] economy in places like Vancouver.

I asked this question a bit earlier in the thread but didn't get many responses so I'll ask again:

What are the main negatives to foreign money inflating prices across the region? Is it purely that houses rise in price and become less affordable to prospective homeowners, or are there are some additional knock on problems that are caused?

I'm asking because the main response from bankers and politicians about foreign investment and increasing housing costs is to tell us that people should seek cheaper housing in the suburbs or should buy cheaper condos until they can afford a house. It seems like a pretty reasonable response.

The unreasonable part of that response is that the costs associated with development in the suburbs are borne by the taxpayer and our rapid transit system is already incredibly underfunded and under built. If people are expected to move further from the city additional revenue will be needed to support that.

Assuming some scenario where the government invested in building affordable housing like they did in the 70s and 80s, and the government massively invested in public transit systems, is there any reason to be against an influx of foreign millionaires inflating the price of housing?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

sitchensis posted:

Found this :psyduck: condo layout from a new build in Calgary. Jesus Christ who makes these things?

And who buys them?!

I guess they were anticipating the fact that people don't want to live in a cube, but any 2-bedroom condo that has the bedrooms right next to eachother immediately is a failure.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I think a large part of why people have really latched on to restricting foreign investment as the solution to Vancouver’s housing problems is due to the fact that residents know that the Federal and Provincial government is ideologically opposed to housing and transit investment. People cannot conceive that the government would step in to help create a region with affordable housing and transportation, and so are looking around for other solutions to latch on to that would result in a drop in prices.

The BC Liberals have badly mismanaged the situation by being evasive and disingenuous about foreign investment. In the absence of data and serious discussion, the populace is left to wildly speculate about what the government is hiding from them.

At this point this issue is not going to go away without the BC Liberals having to hand out some goodies. I wonder what they’ll try to float as a solution. Vancouverites have already gotten Mayor Robertson to cough up a few minor things, such as rule changes for more 3 bedrooms in condo rezonings, and a focus on townhouses and duplexes in new planning policy.

If a Federal party wanted to grab a few Vancouver ridings, affordable housing would be a pretty good policy plank to have.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Femtosecond posted:

I think a large part of why people have really latched on to restricting foreign investment as the solution to Vancouver’s housing problems is due to the fact that residents know that the Federal and Provincial government is ideologically opposed to housing and transit investment. People cannot conceive that the government would step in to help create a region with affordable housing and transportation, and so are looking around for other solutions to latch on to that would result in a drop in prices.

The BC Liberals have badly mismanaged the situation by being evasive and disingenuous about foreign investment. In the absence of data and serious discussion, the populace is left to wildly speculate about what the government is hiding from them.

At this point this issue is not going to go away without the BC Liberals having to hand out some goodies. I wonder what they’ll try to float as a solution. Vancouverites have already gotten Mayor Robertson to cough up a few minor things, such as rule changes for more 3 bedrooms in condo rezonings, and a focus on townhouses and duplexes in new planning policy.

If a Federal party wanted to grab a few Vancouver ridings, affordable housing would be a pretty good policy plank to have.

The problem is, the actual solutions would enrage the NIMBY's in many key ridings and potentially harm equity growth of existing owners. Too many people are financially dependent on the bubble. For every person yelling about affordable housing are two banking their retirement and finances on the prices continuing the climb how they are.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

What are the main negatives to foreign money inflating prices across the region? Is it purely that houses rise in price and become less affordable to prospective homeowners, or are there are some additional knock on problems that are caused?

Let's put to the side two issues which tend to cloud thinking:

- whether or not you're a current or aspiring homeowner
- whether or not you personally believe foreign money is a material issue in Canada in general or in Vancouver particularly

So with that out of the way - you're looking at an unspecific region and evaluating the welfare of its citizens with respect to their housing. Is it not self-evidently a bad thing to have large quantities of money entering the region in housing competition with those citizens who earn locally? Sure, some homeowners benefit greatly, but how can the external cash be viewed as anything other than a net negative? "head for the suburbs" is hardly a satisfactory answer.

None of this is to say that I think foreign cash is primarily or even secondarily at fault with respect to Canadian housing, or that I'm keen to erect barriers and laws and what have you (they'd be largely ineffective, for one thing). But your point strikes me as a profoundly odd one to ask - very much in the vein of "other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Femtosecond posted:

It certainly won't attract any homeowner votes, even those that are unhappy with the high price of property, since presumably those huge mortgages will still exist even after housing prices go down. It's a complete pyramid scheme at this point, but it's large and entrenched enough that no one dares touch it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I went back home for a visit on the weekend. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, like there's a town with about 1000 people 10 minutes away, a city with 15k about 45 minutes, and Ottawa which is about 90 minutes away.

Anyway the house beside my dad's is for sale. It's a nice property, but literally in the middle of nowhere with no job prospects

http://realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15675492/39-Crimson-Maple-Rd-Eganville-Ontario-K0J1T0-AUGSBURG

There are people who want like 400k for their houses in the area, so I guess 280k is a steal!

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I went back home for a visit on the weekend. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, like there's a town with about 1000 people 10 minutes away, a city with 15k about 45 minutes, and Ottawa which is about 90 minutes away.

Anyway the house beside my dad's is for sale. It's a nice property, but literally in the middle of nowhere with no job prospects

http://realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15675492/39-Crimson-Maple-Rd-Eganville-Ontario-K0J1T0-AUGSBURG

There are people who want like 400k for their houses in the area, so I guess 280k is a steal!
lmao, it is nowhere near anything.

Edit: Then again my score is 33 and I'm a 20 minute walk to work and a 20 minute walk to Superstore and a block away from a pretty ok bar and pizza place so that's literally all my needs covered.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 25, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never seen a walk-score of 0. I thought anything under 50 was basically middle of nowhere but at least had a road and electricity.

Oh cool you can look up any address. I'm at 97!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 25, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

98 :smugbert:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Mine is 89, but I can tell you right now the scores on that site are bullshit because it gives a bike score of 100% saying "flat as a pancake, excellent bike lanes" and there are NO bike lanes, and it's on the top of a hill.

edit: also transit should be higher than 58 because it's right on two major routes, and close to the skytrain.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I've never seen a walk-score of 0. I thought anything under 50 was basically middle of nowhere but at least had a road and electricity.

I checked and the house I grew up in had a score of zero.

Not surprising. There was a lovely corner store a 30 minute walk away. The nearest gas station was a good 25 minute drive.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Count Roland posted:

I checked and the house I grew up in had a score of zero.

Not surprising. There was a lovely corner store a 30 minute walk away. The nearest gas station was a good 25 minute drive.

You could walk to a corner store??? Lucky

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

asian wife is mad since she never gets a pole like that from her old white husband.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.walkscore.com/CA-ON/Barrie Hahahaahahahahahaha :smithicide:

I guess I should be happy I live inside that tiny green blob.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

etalian posted:

asian wife is mad since she never gets a pole like that from her old white husband.

"I love the dog more than you, pathetic person I live with"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That WalkScore site is less than perfect. Apparently, the closest park to me is, in fact, a bar. And it's not a particularly close bar, and there are actual parks located much closer than that particular bar. It probably also doesn't take into account that the train runs in between me and the nearest big grocery store at a level crossing, so it's not really one that you want to walk to (if you get unlucky, it's a much longer walk to the underpass and back).

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Ceciltron posted:

"I love the dog more than you, pathetic person I live with"

It's that classic shot of "poor hard done-by family" where mum is holding her child (preferably a daughter in a dress), and protector father is looking out protectively.

Except it's just two entitled whiny little poo poo adults, so they had to stick the dog in there to maybe try to make them a little bit sympathetic. Dog's full grown, you're not fooling anyone it needs to be held because it's vulnerable and can't stand. It doesn't need protecting from the power pole, it's probably thrilled to be able to piss all over it and mark its territory.

Even with a toddler in her arms they'd still be whiny little shits family, but they'd be complaining about how it's bad for their child somehow.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This got rejected in Melbourne

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/southbank-tower-with-borrowedlight-bedrooms-rejected-by-minister-20150625-ghxijd.html

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The panhandle lot of bedrooms.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I still don't see why bedrooms need "adequate natural light." It seems the plan functions as required for fire safety, which was the best point that was brought up in the previous discussion on this subject.

How much time, while the sun is out, are you spending in your bedroom, doing an activity which the blinds ought not to be closed for?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
It's stops you going crazy, allows airflow, regulates sleep, saves energy and I'm sure there's lots of other benefits.

People don't do well in cells locked away from sunlight, and you'll find it's not the wealthy 'choosing' to live in bedrooms without windows, it'll be developers saving money and people who can't afford better having to put up with living in darkness.

It's like saying you don't see why we should have parks in the city- if people want greenspace they can move to the suburbs, or go to a national park. Everyone should have access to some bare minimums including sunlight.

Edit: Lots of people spend sunlight hours in their bedrooms- particularly students who are flatsharing and use it as a study space and children for whom it is a playroom as just two basic examples.

Strong Convections fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 26, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Strong Convections posted:

It's stops you going crazy, allows airflow, regulates sleep, saves energy and I'm sure there's lots of other benefits.

People don't do well in cells locked away from sunlight, and you'll find it's not the wealthy 'choosing' to live in bedrooms without windows, it'll be developers saving money and people who can't afford better having to put up with living in darkness.

It's like saying you don't see why we should have parks in the city- if people want greenspace they can move to the suburbs, or go to a national park. Everyone should have access to some bare minimums including sunlight.

No, I get why sunlight is a good thing, but that's presumably why you have a living room that, you know, you spend 95% of your waking non-sex-related time in.

I spend perhaps 10 waking minutes per day in my bedroom. If there's no/limited sunlight in there for those ten minutes, I'm not particularly bothered.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Since it's known that you sleep better if you don't spend waking time in bed, I think, in the interests of public health, that we mandate bedrooms with little natural light and just enough space for clothes and a bed.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
just loving get it over with already and lets start living full blade runner

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

Since it's known that you sleep better if you don't spend waking time in bed, I think, in the interests of public health, that we mandate bedrooms with little natural light and just enough space for clothes and a bed.

It's also known that people sleep better by themselves rather than next to someone, so I think it should be no larger than a single bed. And drop the ceiling too so people don't start getting sneaky and trying to put in bunk beds to have two people in the room.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Strong Convections posted:

It's also known that people sleep better by themselves rather than next to someone, so I think it should be no larger than a single bed. And drop the ceiling too so people don't start getting sneaky and trying to put in bunk beds to have two people in the room.

Hey y'all check out my new 6 bedroom condo!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Square Peg posted:

Hey y'all check out my new 6 bedroom condo!

Holy poo poo, The Fifth Element predicting the future. Now I want that drat flying car. And the spaceship. And Leeloo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Freezer posted:

Holy poo poo, The Fifth Element predicting the future. Now I want that drat flying car. And the spaceship. And Leeloo.

Coffin hotels have been around since the early 80's.