Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
We Are Robin is definitely looking to be great. It'll be interesting to see Duke be the lead, but not the leader so to speak. Flash's creative team should take notes on how to do a troubled teen story from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
We are Robin was a pretty awesome first issue and I am digging the artwork for it, as well as the storyline. I am quite interested in where it will go. Also, for some reason the main villain in this issue reminded me of one of the main henchmen of Deacon Blackfire from Batman: The Cult. I wish that this series would revisit the Cult but I doubt it as Deacon was used in Eternal and played a bit of a different role in that to his original role.

Batgirl was Babs Tarr's first issue as main artist (instead of going over Stewart's layouts) and it definitely shows a more cartoony feel. I had some issues with the characters faces to be honest, but overall she is showing that she is growing as an artist and there is some nice confident pieces in there. The storyline was pretty fun too with Jim coming out to Barbara. It's nice to see the dynamic and how it will play out.

Aquaman just barely scratched the surface of why Arthur has been exiled but there seems to be a nice mystery coming through it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Deathstroke was like reading a videogame, literally. Not a lot of substance but is entertaining and I guess Daniels de-aged Slade just so he could draw him like Manu Bennet.

JL3001 was entertaining not really my cup of tea though. I did LOVE Ambush Bug Cameo

Aquaman had pretty art but I couldn't find myself interested on the plot.

Flash is utter poo poo.

I have the same issue with We Are Robin than I have with Gotham Academy, the concept simply clahses too much with the comic book universe to be believable. The whole point of Tim and Jason origins was that being a vigilante wasn't a game, we spent a lot of time building both Harper and Steph into believable crime fighters and suddenly you have a bunch of no name kids pulling the same feats? Bullshit. I'm noter a fan of the social theme Bermejo is aiming for either, I've had enough of that with my classmates and friends.

Grayson is a very uneven book for me, the parts focused etirely on Dick's character are gold but the spy sections are dull and the fan pandering really breaks the flow of the story. I'll wait until issue 12 to decide if I keep it on my pull list.

I'm getting tired of the Truth storyline, the explanation of the events that lead to Clark's loss of his power and outing is too slow, making me feel like I'm seeing a movie midways. The fact Lois is coming off like a massive bitch on her article doesn't help either.

Lost Army was incredibly solid but of course they had to use the light reservoir bullshit.

Didn't bothered to read Batgirl :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The whole point of Tim and Jason origins was that being a vigilante wasn't a game,

It really really wasn't. Especially Tim who got poo poo on less for being a vigilante and more because the universe hates him prior to Identity Crisis which was a Very Bad Book anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm getting tired of the Truth storyline, the explanation of the events that lead to Clark's loss of his power and outing is too slow, making me feel like I'm seeing a movie midways. The fact Lois is coming off like a massive bitch on her article doesn't help either.

I find one issue to be too slow. The truth is the status quo and each title has a different storyline that comes from that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

It really really wasn't. Especially Tim who got poo poo on less for being a vigilante and more because the universe hates him prior to Identity Crisis which was a Very Bad Book anyway.

In the N52 I mean, Tim was adopted by Bruce because he pissed Penguin off.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In the N52 I mean, Tim was adopted by Bruce because he pissed Penguin off.

The N52 is really terrible, though, especially in regards to Tim, and they're being fast and loose with canon now anyways. I still need to read We Are Robin, so I have no thoughts about it right now, but I do think being Robin should be more of a special thing, though.

Speaking of Robin, I tried Damian's new series and it was...kind of racist. I'm surprised that intro didn't take place in Carbomya. I guess I don't have to start caring about the character anytime soon.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 25, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I have the same issue with We Are Robin than I have with Gotham Academy, the concept simply clahses too much with the comic book universe to be believable. The whole point of Tim and Jason origins was that being a vigilante wasn't a game, we spent a lot of time building both Harper and Steph into believable crime fighters and suddenly you have a bunch of no name kids pulling the same feats? Bullshit. I'm noter a fan of the social theme Bermejo is aiming for either, I've had enough of that with my classmates and friends.
The thing is, Tim and Jason were products of their time and characters like Stephanie (as she is now, but even back then), Duke and Harper are products of a different time. The former were made in a time were comics were intent on showing a darker side to them after the more corny nature of the past, while the latter are made in a time where comics are trying to regain that nostalgic past while mixing in modern sensibilities.

Also there's a fine line between "competent vigilante" and "street fighter." You don't see most people in gangs being formally trained to be a fighting force, but they're a force because of their numbers and because they know how to throw a punch.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

The thing is, Tim and Jason were products of their time and characters like Stephanie (as she is now, but even back then), Duke and Harper are products of a different time. The former were made in a time were comics were intent on showing a darker side to them after the more corny nature of the past, while the latter are made in a time where comics are trying to regain that nostalgic past while mixing in modern sensibilities.

Also there's a fine line between "competent vigilante" and "street fighter." You don't see most people in gangs being formally trained to be a fighting force, but they're a force because of their numbers and because they know how to throw a punch.

Again, I'm not talking about their publication history. I'm talking about their origins on the N52.

Far as I'm concerned the only story elements that matter on the DC You are those introduced on the N52 and We are Robin's premise clashes entirely with that. Snyder has spent his run making a point on how much of a shithole Gotham is and how ruthless it villians can be.

Introducing a bunch of supposedly normal kids able to hold their own against those same threats is illogical and undermines the achievements of the former Robins.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Clashing with an uninteresting premise is not really a problem.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Again, I'm not talking about their publication history. I'm talking about their origins on the N52.

Far as I'm concerned the only story elements that matter on the DC You are those introduced on the N52 and We are Robin's premise clashes entirely with that. Snyder has spent his run making a point on how much of a shithole Gotham is and how ruthless it villians can be.

Introducing a bunch of supposedly normal kids able to hold their own against those same threats is illogical and undermines the achievements of the former Robins.

It's been one issue and we haven't really seen them holding their own in it. It's like you have the entire storyarc already planned out in your head before you finished the first page.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You're just worried that their reckless behavior will get one of them killed, then they'll come back as a gritty antihero with guns but this one will become far more popular and beloved than the man with a mouth on his mask.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Space_Butler posted:

You're just worried that their reckless behavior will get one of them killed, then they'll come back as a gritty antihero with guns but this one will become far more popular and beloved than the man with a mouth on his mask.

The mouth isn't actually supposed to be there. I have no idea why people keep drawing it that way.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space_Butler posted:

I believe the opposite in fact, that there won't be any casualties thus taking any meaning on Jason and Tim backstories. Of course issue 4 solicit alluded to being different but given how the premise was handled on the first issue, I'm expecting for it to be a fakeout.

This by itsef creates a faulty logic, during all the N52 we've been sold that Gotham is a shithole where the bad guys have always the upper hand, so you can't introduce a bunch of "regular" kids into vigilantism without tipping the scales into their favor to avoid any unpleasant outcome. Having the kids to be succesful despite the adversities would made pointless the existance of super heroes since people would be fine by themselves.

And no, saying that supeheroes serve only as inspirations comes off as shallow when the big story on the main Batman book is how Batman is needed on Gotham city no mater how's behind the cowl.

Anyways, Grayson interview with Seeley and King

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 26, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Telling good stories while ignoring dumb lovely ones is Good Comics, I'm sorry all you care about is how things fit into the larger N52verse but the rest of us just want to read some good comics and don't give a gently caress about Tim or Jason's new awful backstories.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Telling good stories while ignoring dumb lovely ones is Good Comics, I'm sorry all you care about is how things fit into the larger N52verse but the rest of us just want to read some good comics and don't give a gently caress about Tim or Jason's new awful backstories.

If you like it, good for you. I'm just saying why I don't like it.

Having said that, a good story should be able to work with the context is stablishing by itself though. Take We are Premise on a Vertigo kind of approach, away from the regular DCU and it would be a good story, as it stands now, not so much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Travis343 posted:

Hey, Jason's backstory has always been awful.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I believe the opposite in fact, that there won't be any casualties thus taking any meaning on Jason and Tim backstories. Of course issue 4 solicit alluded to being different but given how the premise was handled on the first issue, I'm expecting for it to be a fakeout.

This by itsef creates a faulty logic, during all the N52 we've been sold that Gotham is a shithole where the bad guys have always the upper hand, so you can't introduce a bunch of "regular" kids into vigilantism without tipping the scales into their favor to avoid any unpleasant outcome. Having the kids to be succesful despite the adversities would made pointless the existance of super heroes since people would be fine by themselves.

And no, saying that supeheroes serve only as inspirations comes off as shallow when the big story on the main Batman book is how Batman is needed on Gotham city no mater how's behind the cowl.

Anyways, Grayson interview with Seeley and King

I too hate it when the heroes beat the villains. Or regular folk stand up to some crazy bad guy.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
"Hey 20 new posts, I wonder if anyone read Superman or We Are Robin this week and started disc-"

Oh.

Anyway, We Are...Robin completely blew away my expectations. It was probably the book I was most anxious about, great concept, great artists involved, but I've never read anything by Berjermo and artists turned writers at DC rarely seem to pan out. But it's completely legit and I was impressed by how sharply written it was and how effortlessly he was able to ground Duke and give him a distinct voice. It's also the first time in god knows how long I read a book about kids from the inner city that felt authentic and not just grounded in the cheapest stereotypes. Really good first issue, probably in my top 5 from the whole month.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 26, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also if the theme is batman is needed no matter who is behind the cowl then having a lot of robins is more in line with that then not.

Remember its not like any of the other Robins are that special anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Semper Fudge posted:

"Hey 20 new posts, I wonder if anyone read Superman or We Are Robin this week and started disc-"

Oh.

And 19 of them are people who thought engaging DarthTittyMouse in discussion of a comic was a good idea.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Good point. How was Superman anyway? I was quite happy to see Gene Luen Yang get a comic to do.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Good point. How was Superman anyway? I was quite happy to see Gene Luen Yang get a comic to do.

I enjoyed it. It looks like while Lois did reveal the story she did it for in character reasons, and everyone was in character. It was a good start to the storyline. Its also possible that someone was behind Lois revealing it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

The mouth isn't actually supposed to be there. I have no idea why people keep drawing it that way.

Cause it's fun to see anyone who cares get mad :)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cause it's fun to see anyone who cares get mad :)

I don't really care about it anymore than any other ugly art. If someone makes the Red Hood mouth look good, awesome.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

I don't really care about it anymore than any other ugly art. If someone makes the Red Hood mouth look good, awesome.

Like here? :haw:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I dunno, looks a little too Iron Man-y.

Heh, Dead Hood though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

If someone makes the Red Hood mouth look good, awesome.

:colbert:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 26, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

That would not be an example of anything looking good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This by itsef creates a faulty logic, during all the N52 we've been sold that Gotham is a shithole where the bad guys have always the upper hand, so you can't introduce a bunch of "regular" kids into vigilantism without tipping the scales into their favor to avoid any unpleasant outcome.

That operates under the premise that Batman has made no difference in Gotham in his time there, and that it's still as bad as when he started, which defeats the point of the character. And if the New52 doesn't think Batman has made enough a difference for an assortment of Robins... then that does a disservice to Batman as a character. Gotham can't be solved, but there has to be some buffer between its present and its original state. And Batman is more important than whatever universe status quo, since one stays and the other tends to not.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

WickedHate posted:

That would not be an example of anything looking good.

That's Chris Burnham isn't it? He actually rules and so does that panel!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

I know it's fashionable to disagree with me but you don't have to lie about stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

His pose is not fabulous enough.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Ian Bertram from Batman Eternal 11. The best issue because it looks like a Klasky Csupo cartoon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MonsieurChoc posted:

His pose is not fabulous enough.

When is DC going to put Hirohiko Araki on a book? :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Probably Magic posted:

That operates under the premise that Batman has made no difference in Gotham in his time there, and that it's still as bad as when he started, which defeats the point of the character. And if the New52 doesn't think Batman has made enough a difference for an assortment of Robins... then that does a disservice to Batman as a character. Gotham can't be solved, but there has to be some buffer between its present and its original state. And Batman is more important than whatever universe status quo, since one stays and the other tends to not.

Thing is that Batman has also bene painted very diminished on Snyder's run, he's always at disadvantage for the bulk of the arcs just to triumph at the end. While this (in theory at least) makes for dramatic endings, all the regular people living on Gotham ends utterly hosed. Just see Eternal or Endgame.

So while Batman has helped Gotham to not be an utter shithole, its streets are still to dangerous for untrained kids (and worse, fanboys going by Bermejo's interviews) to get into vigilantism.

Your last point is also very interesting, the concept of We are Robin is builded so the Robin "gang" (to give it a name) should be a lasting thing, something easily achieved if Batman wouldn't a part of the equation. However, I can't see a satisfying way for the Robins to work once that Bruce returns.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Thing is that Batman has also bene painted very diminished on Snyder's run, he's always at disadvantage for the bulk of the arcs just to triumph at the end. While this (in theory at least) makes for dramatic endings, all the regular people living on Gotham ends utterly hosed. Just see Eternal or Endgame.

This makes me glad I don't read any modern Batman books, this sounds an exausting bore. Batman should be somewhat dark and serious, but for awhile and especially since Identity Crisis and Tower of Babel his comics have been loving insufferable. Everything is so cynical and grim, it's terrible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WickedHate posted:

When is DC going to put Hirohiko Araki on a book? :colbert:

I'd certainly like Jason Todd a lot more if he was channeling Joseph Joestar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd certainly like Jason Todd a lot more if he was channeling Joseph Joestar.

Roy is Ceaser and Starfire is Lisa Lisa.

• Locked thread