Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm amazed they're nerfing stealth squid because that ability was already VERY questionable to use over cold-blooded/some other shirt slot. Now even more so since the swim speed is gonna be even closer to just creeping through ink without it. Frankly I don't think any ability should be nerfed right now when so many are completely useless, should be buffing the worthless ones instead.

I mean why nerf ink resist? Its the perfect example of an ability that NEEDS to have a dramatic effect otherwise it would never be worth using.

Yeah at this point, depending on how bad the nerfs are, I think that leaves Cold-Blooded as the only unquestionably worthwhile ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm very ok with none of the abilities even remotely mattering

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean why nerf ink resist? Its the perfect example of an ability that NEEDS to have a dramatic effect otherwise it would never be worth using.

Ink resistance neutralizes one of the core elements of the entire game in a phenomenal way, I'm more surprised that getting a 68% movespeed buff in enemy ink ever passed testing to begin with, or became a skill at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Trent posted:

So I guess what I'm asking is, is everywhere included in some spatfest region, or are you SOL if you live in a certain place?

Yeah, everyone gets a splatfest. AU/NZ are part of the PAL region which includes EU, South Africa and some other countries.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd say recon is also a good shirt slot ability since it can act as a pseudo stealth jump, allowing you to see if position is gonna be safe before jumping into it. It also lets you jump back to base for tactical ink strikes, a trick which is quite useful for ink brush players. Ink resist being nerfed means stealth jump is unquestionably the best shoe slot, even with the nerf it will get unless its HUGE, so get ready to see crazy arrows on everyone's feet.

Reiley posted:

Ink resistance neutralizes one of the core elements of the entire game in a phenomenal way, I'm more surprised that getting a 68% movespeed buff in enemy ink ever passed testing to begin with, or became a skill at all.

That's kind of the point? I mean this wouldn't be an issue if there was anything else in the boot slot worth using other than stealth jump. Now its probably gonna be nerfed to the point where the effect is so minor it might as well not exist.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 26, 2015

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

So this can happen

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

That's kind of the point? I mean this wouldn't be an issue if there was anything else in the boot slot worth using other than stealth jump. Now its probably gonna be nerfed to the point where the effect is so minor it might as well not exist.

Like Kaubocks said, it's way better that that poo poo doesn't matter than making it an issue of picking your stats carefully. Ideally this game is a shooter, not an MMO.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Reiley posted:

Like Kaubocks said, it's way better that that poo poo doesn't matter than making it an issue of picking your stats carefully. Ideally this game is a shooter, not an MMO.

Since when does having abilities that actually make a difference make your game an MMO? It means people can actually do more than one playstyle with a gun, which gives the game more depth. The problem with Splatoon's implementation of skills is that so many of them don't do anything so its pointless, but that doesn't make skill systems themselves a bad thing.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Assuming ink resistance is like 40% or 50% now it will still be really good for kiting based weapons. The squiffer, the squelcher, the splat charger to a lesser degree, etc. Possibly even better since your shots are more likely to gently caress up your enemie's movement.

^^ Different playstyles are fine but boots had a best-in-slot option, torso clothing had three options that were significantly better than any of the generics in any situation (except Recon if you don't die much), hats still have tenacity as a catch-all good thing but it can still be worth taking other abilities over it.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 26, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Reiley posted:

Then why make abilities at all? Keep in mind that the shooters, chargers, blisters, rollers and inkbrush already have distinct methods of play, not to mention how the load outs on the weapons also influence play to a significant extent. So why make another superficial layer of strategy that doesn't actually matter?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

So what actually is changing about the Inkstrike?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Then why make abilities at all? Keep in mind that the shooters, chargers, blisters, rollers and inkbrush already have distinct methods of play, not to mention how the load outs on the weapons also influence play to a significant extent. So why make another superficial layer of strategy that doesn't actually matter?

They're nice little perks, like moving a little quicker or having a bit of damage resistance. The ones that can't show up as sub abilities kind of turn it from little perks into a Big Thing, and I think that was a mistake in design because that's all people are gonna pick, and that puts more emphasis on little perk numbers than they really need for a shooty game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I would unironically be down for all abilities being removed from the game

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Barely any of the abilities do anything in the first place. I remember busting out a chart of all the brands and abilities and whatnot and trying to plan out what I should use but after seeing hard numbers of what increases/decreases what, I prefer to STAY FRESH.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kaubocks posted:

I would unironically be down for all abilities being removed from the game

I'd be fine too. But letting them live in this zone where they sorta matter but sorta don't is rather irritating. If you're going to play them up then make them mean something. As it is I have 100k sitting around because the few good abilities are on so little equipment and opening/rerolling slots matters so little that there's no reason to use Spyke or buy anything other than weapons.

I mean seriously: if the slots matter so little, why make them cost so much to open or reroll?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

They should just make skills assignable via Spyke. Want Ink Resist on your Cream Basics? Drop a ton of coins in the back alley and you've got it.
Though I'm also fine with the "Look cool and screw stats" method.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

they're really just there for the slight edge in high ranked play , or placebo effects, and im perfectly fine for that.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I mean seriously: if the slots matter so little, why make them cost so much to open or reroll?
they needed something for you to blow your money on once you bought all the costume peices and weapons.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd prefer it if skills were substantial but I wouldn't care too much if they were removed entirely cause then you could wear whatever you want. Right now they just exist in this state where a handful of skills are way better than all the others so you always want them. Nerfing those skills won't really help unless they are MASSIVE nerfs, but even then there are skills like tenacity or recon where they can't really be nerfed in a traditional way because they just provide a unique function.

My ideal system would be removing sub skills entirely, making all the main skills substantial, but also allowing them to be put on any piece of gear so we can stay fresh.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It seriously bugs me that the main buffs are tied to the gear, with no chance of being variant. Kinda takes the oomph out of the clothing aspect.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
My fix would be to make abilities be more powerful, but you can only have one at a time. Each piece of clothing would have an ability, but you can only pick one of those abilities to be active at a time. More ability slots just means more potential choices.

The upside would be that each ability would be a major effect. Invisible Squid-Form, Major Ink Resistance, Halve Ink Consumption by Primary/Secondary Weapon, etc. Your loadout is effectively one weapon and one specialty.

That said, I don't mind the current system. My main issue with it is how the precise mechanics of things like Damage Up aren't explained anywhere in the main game.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Jarogue posted:

So this can happen

someone tell me again how nintendo didn't make these squids to be sexed

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Jarogue posted:

So this can happen

.... That squid got a butt? I guess? Not sure what's the big deal is here.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

if you could stop posting about sexy squid penises that would be phenomenal. once we get over that hurdle maybe we'll work on you stop posting forever.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
no one has posted a hypothethical penis in at least 1 and a half days get over your penis envy it's not healthy

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Playable Octolings!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

All those people asking for more hairstyles finally got their wish

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

That looks pretty finished, are they holding off on this stuff for later just so they'll have stuff to give away as the game ages?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'd hope for a humanoid Male Octoling, too. But who knows if the female one was even made to be playable.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What am I even looking at? Are Octolings going to be future unlockable character types?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

noirstronaut posted:

What am I even looking at? Are Octolings going to be future unlockable character types?

They just use the same animation bones as the inklings so that the developers didn't have to make a second set of animations for them. While it makes it really easy for Nintendo to make them a playable character later, the fact that they're missing eyes kinda indicates it's not some locked content on the disc.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

it could just be the NPC AI models you fight in singleplayer swapped with the player character model, but a lot of player only effects like the glowing hair on on a fully charged special does work with it so who knows.

Count Uvula posted:

They just use the same animation bones as the inklings so that the developers didn't have to make a second set of animations for them. While it makes it really easy for Nintendo to make them a playable character later, the fact that they're missing eyes kinda indicates it's not some locked content on the disc.
they have eyes that you can see later in the video when he opens the skin and eye color selection , they just dont have a blink animation. Thier eyes even look different from inklings, and can change color, a lot of effort for something just hidden behind goggles.

My bet's on an octoling Singleplayer campaign where you play a double agent or something.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 26, 2015

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Watching it again, I think I really misunderstood. Maybe it was something that was scrapped, maybe it's something planned for a future mode?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
It's difficult to pull any conclusions about art assets until they're used. If they're used at all, anyway. Better just wait and see.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Count Uvula posted:

Nah they have eyes. They just don't blink.

Edit:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 26, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I take it the fact that I laughed at the squidbutt means that this probably isn't a video game I should play?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nah they have eyes. They just don't blink.

Edit:

What the gently caress. How do I get this? Why is this going on?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I take it the fact that I laughed at the squidbutt means that this probably isn't a video game I should play?

Play this video game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fix posted:

What the gently caress. How do I get this? Why is this going on?

Only works when you have the golden Mario amiibo.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lemming posted:

Only works when you have the golden Mario amiibo.

I keep mashing Silver Mario against the gamepad and sobbing and all I get is a message from Spyke saying he's raising my rates until I buy in completely.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

It's a shame because I feel like certain abilities can really make up for the shortcomings of certain weapons, and that's more fun because then there's more viable ways to play! So I'm all for nerfing abilities to being just 'nice-to-haves', but then the weapon selection really needs to be balanced out a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

quote:

Splatfest Amendments
– If it takes too long to find another team, you can fight the same team again.
* Even if playing against the same team, Splatfest Points can still be earned.
* Only the opposing team’s results will be counted at the conclusion of a Splatfest battle.
– If you begin the software before the Splatfest start time, an adjustment will be made where you may be able to begin 5 minutes before the start time (from the start time, you can participate in all areas).
* The purpose of this is to reduce congestion that would occur immediately following the start.
– The number of Super Sea Snail increases when you acquire the “Charisma” and “Eternity” titles when the team that voted loses.

Special Weapon Adjustments
– Inkstrike: When used, the mark that shows the impact zone has been greatly changed.
– Kraken: If attacked in the middle of using this, they will be repelled stronger than before.

Gear Power Adjustments
– Ninja Squid: The speed of the squid dash has been made slower than before.
– Stealth Jump: The time taken to charge has been made longer.
– Ink Resistance: The negative effects of movement and damage that enemy ink has on you when walked on has been reduced.

Other:
– Various game content has been fixed to better customer experience.

• Locked thread