Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

I really like how every example Deku comes up with for flexibility is Bakugou, because of course he'd recognize that Bakugou is a brilliant fighter.

Makes sense since Bakugou has an ability that initially seems very straightforward, but has been employed in a number of creative ways which is what Deku is now shooting for with One-for-all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the series that villains are starting to feel the overwhelming pressure of such a large amount of heroes. Even in chapter one a single size-changer got taken down by no less than 2-3 heroes. This villain organization could be trying to even the playing field by creating the same organizational structure that the heroes are acting under. I've seen it before in fiction where the bad guys treat their group as some sort of immune response to the "problem" of too many good guys running around.

I could also see a situation like in the back-story to 'Kingdom Come' coming from this, where supers basically have turf wars over areas to protect. It wouldn't make the villains good in any way, but it would open up the possibility of working with them to stop a gang of "heroes" who have lost sight of their real duty.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i like this yoda hero

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
What I find interesting is that kind of across the board I'm not into most of the kids' costumes, but I've never had the same reaction to any of the adult heroes.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What I find interesting is that kind of across the board I'm not into most of the kids' costumes, but I've never had the same reaction to any of the adult heroes.

The only one I don't like is Midoriya's. The weird rabbit mask thing is really off-putting, but without it it just looks like a kind of generic jumpsuit. Also I like Bakugou's except for the thing on the back of his head. I do think he should have some sort of head accessory but that one doesn't look right. The best ones I think are Tsuyu's, Uraraka's, and Iida's.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TriffTshngo posted:

The only one I don't like is Midoriya's. The weird rabbit mask thing is really off-putting, but without it it just looks like a kind of generic jumpsuit. Also I like Bakugou's except for the thing on the back of his head. I do think he should have some sort of head accessory but that one doesn't look right. The best ones I think are Tsuyu's, Uraraka's, and Iida's.
I get the whole idea is that he has a "smile" but in reality his whole mask/faceguard setup looks like a creepy clown thing.

I dunno what else works though; a corny silver-age All Might costume would be ehhhhhh. Something that looks/works like Batman's suit from Arkham Knight (minus the cape) or the Crysis power suit or something would be the most practical but would again, make him kinda look sinister.

Like Iida's costume is awesome but that helmet really kinda makes him look sinister.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Iida's just looks like Kotetsu and Barnaby's costumes from Tiger & Bunny, a similarity I'm fine with because Tiger & Bunny owns.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stallion Cabana posted:

It makes sense and is generally a pretty good way to insert some sort of ambiguity into the situation without making it some kind of super dark 'Villains only exist because Heroes exist!', because not everyone really likes that sort of grit all the time.

I must admit, I'm not a fan of that theme in hero stories, though dark and gritty are not the words that would spring to mind when thinking of them to me personally. It honestly just seems silly and pointless to me. In a setting that has the technology, magic or whatever the heroes or villains are using to fight crime and each other someone is going to be taking advantage of it at some point, not just those specific characters, who merely happen to be using it. Getting in to a chicken and egg debate about which came first is stupid because they exist regardless and would continue to exist even if the hero hung up his cape. It'd be like insisting cops should all stop fighting crime because they just encourage criminal behavior. Unless you've got proof of your assertion and a better suggestion, then saying it is simply pissing in the wind to make your cause sound good and has all the depth of a puddle.

Fabricated posted:

Like Iida's costume is awesome but that helmet really kinda makes him look sinister.

I imagine that's deliberate and that he's supposed to look sinister given his current motivation.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tsob posted:

I imagine that's deliberate and that he's supposed to look sinister given his current motivation.
He looked pretty sinister with it on even before he roleplayed being evil. Like the reveal of it I was like, "that helmet kinda makes him look like a villain."

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
So it seems like the core theme of this comic is gonna be education and development. Kind of funny how appropriate that is in a school setting yet I feel like it's not explored as often as it should be, because I guess most shows don't want to make teachers real characters.

I feel like I'm gonna like the primary villain, whoever he is. So far he kind of makes me think of Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic 2. This particular scene reminds me of some moments where you're allowed to do some good old fashioned bioware villainy, and Kreia chews you out for it being nonsensical and purposeless. By comparison, though, Kreia loved to lecture while our main villain seems to be taking a bit more of a hands-off approach.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fabricated posted:

He looked pretty sinister with it on even before he roleplayed being evil. Like the reveal of it I was like, "that helmet kinda makes him look like a villain."

Well, this seems like a story that's well planned out, at least to a certain point. Assuming Horikoshi planned this before now, having Iida using a sinister looking outfit, at least at the beginning makes sense. If he survives, and goes back to his (up to now) usual goofiness and good natured charm but keeps that helm then it'd be weird, but he could adapt the outfit a bit to make it less sinister looking if he survives his confrontation with Stain.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

I must admit, I'm not a fan of that theme in hero stories, though dark and gritty are not the words that would spring to mind when thinking of them to me personally. It honestly just seems silly and pointless to me. In a setting that has the technology, magic or whatever the heroes or villains are using to fight crime and each other someone is going to be taking advantage of it at some point, not just those specific characters, who merely happen to be using it. Getting in to a chicken and egg debate about which came first is stupid because they exist regardless and would continue to exist even if the hero hung up his cape. It'd be like insisting cops should all stop fighting crime because they just encourage criminal behavior. Unless you've got proof of your assertion and a better suggestion, then saying it is simply pissing in the wind to make your cause sound good and has all the depth of a puddle.

Well, when the NYPD decided to stop working things actually went better, until they realized that they realized they were making themselves look bad and got back on the job.

Joking aside, while I expect some moral ambiguity or something here I don't think it's going to be "there are villains because there are heroes" or something like that, no. Heck, the first chapter established the opposite; people started being heroes in response to people using their own powers for crime. Now there does seem to be something of a hero surplus, admittedly, but exploring that is a slightly different topic, which might be pretty interesting really. We've already seen that it's a career and form of celebrity as much as anything for a lot of people.

Twiddy posted:

So it seems like the core theme of this comic is gonna be education and development. Kind of funny how appropriate that is in a school setting yet I feel like it's not explored as often as it should be, because I guess most shows don't want to make teachers real characters.

I feel like I'm gonna like the primary villain, whoever he is. So far he kind of makes me think of Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic 2. This particular scene reminds me of some moments where you're allowed to do some good old fashioned bioware villainy, and Kreia chews you out for it being nonsensical and purposeless. By comparison, though, Kreia loved to lecture while our main villain seems to be taking a bit more of a hands-off approach.

This reminds me, I was thinking that there's more to them calling Shigaraki a manchild after the attack on the USJ. Then, it just seemed like they were noting that he's kind of a huge brat and doesn't have a real understanding of things, plus a note on him having a lot of potential like the students. Now, though, we get his father or teacher or whatever actually, well, teaching him, exposing him to other villains to try to foster growth in him and stuff, talking about important moments in his development. We also have the weird video game comparisons by him, and the shots of him hanging out his bedroom watching the sports festival, and... He seems like an actual, literal child in pretty much everything other than body. I'm really wondering what his deal is; was he kept locked up in some lab since he was little or something, or is he another science project and was made at the age he is now, or what?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I get the whole idea is that he has a "smile" but in reality his whole mask/faceguard setup looks like a creepy clown thing.

I dunno what else works though; a corny silver-age All Might costume would be ehhhhhh. Something that looks/works like Batman's suit from Arkham Knight (minus the cape) or the Crysis power suit or something would be the most practical but would again, make him kinda look sinister.

Consider Iida's originally planned costume design. Now, as the blurb mentions, his character concept has changed a lot since then, but I think it's still significant.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Give midoriya that helmet

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or he could just be a sociopath, I dunno.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Twiddy posted:

It turns out the real villain is the Montessori School across the street from Yuuei.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
On a vaguely related note someone finally translated the last chapters of Ratman, another "World of Heroes" manga.

It's not nearly as good since it's generic/boring as hell at times and the plot/characters in general are really flat.

It does however have "The Jackies", who own bones. :kimchi:

image stolen from the one-page thread:

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 21, 2015

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Is this comic doing well in Japan?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean, it's in Jump right? I don't know exactly how they judge what series are doing well within the mag itself (maybe they go by collected volume sales or reader feedback polls?), but I gotta imagine it's pretty popular based on that.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
MHA? It's super popular man, topping out charts and whatnot.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, it's in Jump right? I don't know exactly how they judge what series are doing well within the mag itself (maybe they go by collected volume sales or reader feedback polls?), but I gotta imagine it's pretty popular based on that.

It's also one of the most popular in the magazine.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dzhay posted:

Consistently this comic ranks between #1-5 in Jump which means it's pretty safe. It's printed volumes also have sold extremely well.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

That reminds of the Secret Society of Super Villains from the Justice League Cartoon. Gorilla Grodd founded it and it was set up like a Super Villain union. Ensuring that villains would always have backup if super heroes showed up. The cost was membership fees and a cut of any takes they made.

not the worst idea a superintelligent gorilla ever had

pity luthor borked it up

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Luthor doesn't play well with other egomaniacal power players.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Annointed posted:

Luthor doesn't play well with other egomaniacal power players.

i think villain organisations inevitably lend themselves towards imploding, at least in anything where the villains involved don't have a clearly demonstrable power level hierachy

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Dzhay posted:

It's doing extremely well. It usually gets one of the top spots in the weekly rankings in Jump.

Honestly it's nice to see this author finally find some success. I love Oumagadoki, and that one held on for only so long, and his 2nd series wasn't very good. But MHA is hitting that sweet spot, I guess!

The way you read the rankings is that the order in the magazine, minus color pages or a special promotion of a new series, is how they did in the last round of voting.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 22, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chapter is out:

http://www.readmanga.today/boku-no-hero-academia/48/1

Spoilers: Midoriya gets the idea to...apply the 5% he can control to his whole body evenly instead of trying to use it in bursts. I dunno, that seems like the first thing I'd try but whatever!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loving love Best Jeanist's design. And his name. It's also cool to see the different types of heroes and each hero's way of looking at what makes a hero.

Also Kendou has a Chinese-themed uniform, huh.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Kirishima and Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu have the same costume :allears:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It seems BATTLE HERO GUN HEAD is surprisingly soft-spoken. I can dig it.

All Might having a Japanese name kinda throws me off a little bit though after earlier chapters hinted at him being American. I mean, it makes sense - Japanese comic, Japanese audience - but I thought if they were gonna make an exception for anyone it'd be him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
One interesting thing though: All Might's sire is dead apparently, and Torino seemed bothered that All Might hadn't told Midoriya something. I kinda wonder if giving up One for All is actually fatal to the person who gives it up. I mean, you are passing on your own power that you've added to it; it could literally be your own life energy or something...which uh, is kinda super hosed up if he never told him that. "Oh yeah, when you pass on the power you wither away and die. So yeah, you literally have to choose your own death if you want to pass it on."

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Fabricated posted:

One interesting thing though: All Might's sire is dead apparently, and Torino seemed bothered that All Might hadn't told Midoriya something. I kinda wonder if giving up One for All is actually fatal to the person who gives it up. I mean, you are passing on your own power that you've added to it; it could literally be your own life energy or something...which uh, is kinda super hosed up if he never told him that. "Oh yeah, when you pass on the power you wither away and die. So yeah, you literally have to choose your own death if you want to pass it on."

Well by that logic it's entirely possibly that nobody hosed All Might up to skeleton man levels, that kind of decay is just what happens to your body when you aren't using One for All.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Chapter is out:

Spoilers: Midoriya gets the idea to...apply the 5% he can control to his whole body evenly instead of trying to use it in bursts. I dunno, that seems like the first thing I'd try but whatever!

Eh, I thought it was decently explained away by All Might being a piss-poor teacher due to being able to use One For All effectively from the start. He didn't view Midoriya's inability to master it as an error in approach, and so never gave him the good advice Gran Torino gave last chapter.

Caidin posted:

Well by that logic it's entirely possibly that nobody hosed All Might up to skeleton man levels, that kind of decay is just what happens to your body when you aren't using One for All.

Not really, given he was super hosed up before he started transferring his powers to Midoriya.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Who is the other trainee with Yaoyorozu? I don't recognize her. I'm guessing someone from class B?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Eh, I thought it was decently explained away by All Might being a piss-poor teacher due to being able to use One For All effectively from the start. He didn't view Midoriya's inability to master it as an error in approach, and so never gave him the good advice Gran Torino gave last chapter.

Not really, given he was super hosed up before he started transferring his powers to Midoriya.

No that's what I meant. If One for All absorbs the life force of the dude holding it, then after awhile whenever you aren't using it your body is going to wither as it feeds off you.

Maybe, just a theory anyway.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Who is the other trainee with Yaoyorozu? I don't recognize her. I'm guessing someone from class B?

I believe it's the chick from class B. Think her name's Kendou. Her team conceded to let Tetsutetsu's team head into the tournament.

You can see her here:
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-032--Smile--Prince-of-the-Idiot-Kingdom?id=222001

Comparison:
http://www.readmanga.today/boku-no-hero-academia/48/4

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

chumbler posted:

Her name is Kendou Itsuka and is indeed from class B. She likes to rub the steel skin dude with the ridiculous name on the head which greatly annoys him. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fabricated posted:

Chapter is out:

Heyyy! A cameo from Oumagadoki Zoo! Uwabami always had a neat design, and I'm glad that she's getting reused for MHA. She really fits nicely into the superhero universe!

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I absolutely adore Deku's pensive lip pulling. I do the same thing. :shobon:

I'm also a little in love with Gran Torino's almost Yoda-like method of teaching. When he realizes that Midoriya's on to something, the way he switches gears from doddering sweets-loving old man to razor sharp "Let's get it on" hero mentor just got me super hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Her name is Kendou Itsuka and is indeed from class B. She likes to rub the steel skin dude with the ridiculous name on the head which greatly annoys him. :3:

Wasn't it Momonaga or whatever his name was that she pat on the head? The copycat guy?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-042--And-Now--The-Finals?id=229066

There was also this fancomic, which takes it to a new level.

Level Slide posted:

Thank you kindly.