Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

That is an excellent picture. Can I steal it for tumblr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That is an excellent picture. Can I steal it for tumblr?

Sure!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Comments on MMA videos are the worst. It's practically a meme at this point where any display of martial arts is met with "this would never work in the octagon." Unless it's the One True Martial Art: Jiujitsu, at which point it devolves into dudes saying they could totally kick the asses of everyone in a given video.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Why are you reading video comments anywhere?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Comments on videos are the worst.

Ftfy

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If a YouTube comment is just moronic, as opposed to moronic and racist, count that as a win.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

origami posted:

Why are you reading video comments anywhere?

Because I enjoy being outraged.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
To be fair though stabbing someone with a claymore would not work in the octagonal

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Novum posted:

To be fair though stabbing someone with a claymore would not work in the octagonal

I don't think the ref would be able to stop you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That's a sick armdrag

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/video-fake-black-belt-outed-and-was-asked-to-remove-the-belt/

I'm fascinated by people who fake ranks, especially in something like BJJ where they get exposed so easily. I guess the guy scolding him in the video (Ruben Alvarez) was posting on his facebook before confronting him saying that he couldn't even do basic movements properly.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

I'm in love

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

That's a sick armdrag

ippon seio nage, noob

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

fatherdog posted:

ippon seio nage, noob

:smith: I really need to learn me some Judo terminology.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

:smith: I really need to learn me some Judo terminology.

It's not an armdrag in wrestling, either; it's a flying mare

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Keg posted:

http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/video-fake-black-belt-outed-and-was-asked-to-remove-the-belt/

I'm fascinated by people who fake ranks, especially in something like BJJ where they get exposed so easily. I guess the guy scolding him in the video (Ruben Alvarez) was posting on his facebook before confronting him saying that he couldn't even do basic movements properly.

Is the drama and humiliation really necessary?. "I'm just happy I kept my composure".

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm gonna assume that guy walked onto the mat and looked really bad and gassed quickly, which lead to that confrontation.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What happens under judo rules if your uke doesn't tuck their head with the throw and gets knocked out like in that gif?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

What happens under judo rules if your uke doesn't tuck their head with the throw and gets knocked out like in that gif?

Not sure on the nuances of of the injury ruling and the "Judoka cannot continue," but that wouldn't even be a yuko (or even an old-school koka), because he landed face down. If they thought you had spiked his head with the intention to injure, it could be within the ref's jurisdiction to DQ you.

I'll see if my closest black belt friend is on facebook. If she is I'll ask her and edit.

e. She wasn't, but I left her an offline message. Will update.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 26, 2015

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Judo rules traditionally DQ for throwing someone onto their head, but it's a fuzzy rule since the modern tournament style encourages guys to post with anything they can (including faces/foreheads) to avoid landing square on their back and to create the chance to turn out of the throw.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23765041

Just posting this because it's relevant, not Judo but apparently the 'head bonk vs guillotine' is a move Tonon actually trains
https://www.tumblr.com/search/mansher%20singh%20khera

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 26, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

fatherdog posted:

Flying mare is standing like a hip toss, I think. I'd just call that a drop shoulder throw.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

A Wry Smile posted:

Judo rules traditionally DQ for throwing someone onto their head, but it's a fuzzy rule since the modern tournament style encourages guys to post with anything they can (including faces/foreheads) to avoid landing square on their back and to create the chance to turn out of the throw.

If the referee thinks you've bridged to avoid landing on your back, it is Ippon (since at least 2012). But it's definitely fuzzy:

http://www.judocrazy.com/2015/02/bridge-or-no-bridge-version-3.html

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Keg posted:

I wish there was a similar process for Tapout T-shirts. The other day I ran into a guy wearing a The Ultimate Fighter t-shirt in a store. I caught myself mid-"that loving poser" thought and realized who it was. An actual UFC fighter and TUF alumni.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I've only ever seen fat guys and teenagers wearing tapout stuff

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My friend reported back.

She says that if the ref thought you had intentionally spiked the person, it would be a disqualification, but if the ref decided that tori had thrown essentially in good faith and that it was uke's own drat fault that he/she was KOd, then no penalty. Next, if someone is medically unable to continue, that's a forfeit.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Is the drama and humiliation really necessary?. "I'm just happy I kept my composure".

I dunno, I'm just a white belt and will continue to be awful at BJJ for at least the next 4 years if I'm following the path of an average student who trains regularly. I don't know how an upper belt would/should react to a guy posing as a black belt.

But since every belt in BJJ takes a lot of time and commitment, people seem pretty protective of them. Getting the guy's face/name out there as a poser could prevent him from trying to teach people who don't know better, which I think is more beneficial than being protective of the guy's feelings.

Basically, it's to try to stop this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA5eqfmMKZ0

Keg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 26, 2015

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Flying mare is standing like a hip toss, I think. I'd just call that a drop shoulder throw.

fatherdog posted:

fatherdog posted:

ippon seio nage, noob

My black belt friend who wrestled in the Pac-10 told me his coach called it, no poo poo, a 'Jap whizzer'

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
That sentence is a single word away from being an entirely incomprehensible racist joke.

In other news, I tried BJJ for the first time yesterday. Pretty fun, a bit stressful. Gi's in the summer is a gerrible idea, though it did make me feel nicely formal

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Rabhadh posted:

I've only ever seen fat guys and teenagers wearing tapout stuff

This is actually more fitting now as WWE bought Tapout and you just described most wrestling fans

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
jap doenst have to be racist, its also a handy way to shorten the word japanese while still keeping the same meaning intact.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Words are only racist if you think they are. Society has nothing to do with it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Slaapaav posted:

jap doenst have to be racist, its also a handy way to shorten the word japanese while still keeping the same meaning intact.

Like how 'spic' is just a handy way of shortening 'hispanic'.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Jap doesn't have to be a mean word to call Japanese people, it can also be a mean word to call Jewish girls.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Saying "nip" instead has a much more racist connotation.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
my coaches have advised I start watching BJJ and grappling (I've previously tried but can't really get into it despite loving training). they said two people to focus on, as their styles are similar to mine. are Ryan Hall & Caio Terra. so, which fights of theirs should I watch? also, what big competitions are coming up soon that I can follow? cheers.

apologies for cross post

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Check the guy I trained under a bit in Brazil on YouTube. Just type Alan Moraes BJJ. He also has a FB and team I think and is constantly posting poo poo. Lots of good stuff from his tournaments and seminars. He trained under Carlson Gracie (as in the person not a school in the US with the name)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

King Francis I of France threw King Henry VIII with a flying mare, that's an old rear end throw

edit:

looks like a no-gi seio nage to me

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 27, 2015

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

King Francis I of France threw King Henry VIII with a flying mare, that's an old rear end throw

edit:

looks like a no-gi seio nage to me

I love that poo poo like this exists in entirely different countries, with entirely different contexts and historical implications. I guess there are only so many ways you can effectively throw someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

This plateau is kicking the gently caress out of me now. I've got three stripes on a blue belt and I've never felt more like I haven't got a clue. Cardio's gotten worse, other people are figuring my poo poo out, and I feel like I can't quite be bothered enough. I'm not going to quit, but I'm definitely having my ego corrected quite a bit at the minute. I've got a competition in September, and I'm actually starting to get worried because my current performance isn't anything I'd like anyone else to see, I feel like a loving embarrassment. Bleh.

• Locked thread