Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Klades posted:

If you're fighting a boss you're going to run out of TP and you will then have to do suboptimal things, which are better things than when other tanks run out of TP but still suboptimal. WAR is better off than DRK because they have zero-TP weaponskills they can use sometimes and in a real pinch I think they can stance dance and regain some TP.

I'm pretty sure that the issue is that it's easier to tunnel vision away from your threat generation as a DRK than the others. For WAR, your highest potency combo is your threat combo in the first place. For PLD, your enmity combo is a good debuff. For DRK, your enmity combo is a combo in which you aren't generating extra MP.
Add to that people dropping Grit on bosses (which I don't think DRK can get away with like the other tanks for this exact reason) and you have a recipe for "oh god why did the boss turn around?".

DRK hate generation is completely and absolutely bonkers. Like, "Tank entire dungeons without touching your enmity 1-2-3 combo" bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Mr. Vile posted:

DRK hate generation is completely and absolutely bonkers. Like, "Tank entire dungeons without touching your enmity 1-2-3 combo" bonkers.

Yeah but it's not "tank a boss without using either enmity combo or Grit" bonkers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vermain posted:

Provoke, Convalescence, Awareness, Foresight, Bloodbath. You don't need Flash, and everything else is garbo.

I will not stand here and have you blaspheme the name of Mercy Stroke so.

Also strongly considering moving Power Slash combo to 1-5-6.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I just unlocked Dreadwyrm Trance and I think I had a religious experience.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Klades posted:

Yeah but it's not "tank a boss without using either enmity combo or Grit" bonkers.

Ah, no. I think the hate gen comes from Grit having a massive hate multiplier on it, judging by how fast I lose hate it I take it off.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

Earlier in the thread somebody was talking about how they thought the post-credits scene was lame but the Ascians have an evil you on the moon and that's exactly the kind of ridiculous, hilarious twist I want to see in Anime MMO and I'm very excited.

My theory is that Trailer Hyur was actually the Warrior of Darkness all along.

Oh while it was absolutely cheesey as everloving gently caress, it's the exact kind of thing I desire out of an online Final Fantasy game. gently caress yes I want to load down on the Lunar Whale and beat the poo poo out of Shadow Me. Also Warriors are awesome so that the Warrior of Darkness is a warrior is kind of scary and I can't wait to kill the fucker! I also hope they add a moon area with enemies from FFIV and everything in a patch :allears:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Klades posted:

If you're fighting a boss you're going to run out of TP and you will then have to do suboptimal things, which are better things than when other tanks run out of TP but still suboptimal. WAR is better off than DRK because they have zero-TP weaponskills they can use sometimes and in a real pinch I think they can stance dance and regain some TP.

Yes, if any of the tanks have 0 TP they will run into problems.

Whether they actually run out of TP in the first place is the point I'm making. When it does happen it will be incredibly predictable and much rarer than you seem to think it is. That's why it's basically a nonissue.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't buy Heavensward until you hit the end of the story available without it, unless you absolutely cannot live without being a lizardgirl.

You can get some XP past the level 50 level cap, or can you do that without the expansion?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I want 4.0 to have the Lunatic Pandora. Have it serve the role of the Crystal Tower. A giant floating fortress created by the Allagans. Or perhaps bring in some other ancient society like the Nymians. Have it be a hive of Nymians that didn't become Tonberries but they're loving crazy and you have to stop them oh god.

Oh and Nero's there too. (This game needs more Nero)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gishin posted:

You can get some XP past the level 50 level cap, or can you do that without the expansion?

The exp you get from the patches before Heavensward is outpaced by 2 quests you finish walking around the town.

Patch quests give 5k exp, Heavensward story quests start at 50k.

Mordiceius posted:

I want 4.0 to have the Lunatic Pandora.

Attempting to think up other Final Fantasy bonus dungeons that aren't towers. Fossil Roo, Phanton Forest leading into the Phantom Train.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 26, 2015

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

:allears:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Boten Anna posted:

Oh while it was absolutely cheesey as everloving gently caress, it's the exact kind of thing I desire out of an online Final Fantasy game. gently caress yes I want to load down on the Lunar Whale and beat the poo poo out of Shadow Me. Also Warriors are awesome so that the Warrior of Darkness is a warrior is kind of scary and I can't wait to kill the fucker! I also hope they add a moon area with enemies from FFIV and everything in a patch :allears:

As long as I have an excuse to scream "YOU'RE NOT ME!" at the Warrior of Darkness, I will be satisfied.

Also, courtesy of the official forums:

THE GARLEAN EMPIRE/ASCIANS DID NOTHING WRONG

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Looking forward to giving this game another crack with the new DLC. Now ask me about waiting for hours for an agent to remove my security token so I can buy/resubscribe :argh:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Why do you people keep losing your tokens!? I haven't played WoW since the end of Wrath, and I still have my goddamn authenticator! :confused:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Probably changing phones/tablets and forgot to migrate it over. Or maybe just lost it I guess.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Probably changing phones/tablets and forgot to migrate it over. Or maybe just lost it I guess.

New phone, also I had the emergency removal password squirreled away on my computer but I reformatted it earlier this year :sigh:

New emergency password is going in the ~*~cloud~*~.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What if we're the Warrior of Ice?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Regarding those emergency removal keys - I think it's always a smart idea to write down your important info like emergency keys and put them in an encrypted service like Passpack or Keepass. Then make sure you periodically export and backup that data. If you have any special passphrases used to unlock those password databases, write them the gently caress down and put them in a few safe places without context.

This might be overkill, but I became extra cautious and started doing this after losing so much important info to failed flash drives and misplaced documents.

Whizbang posted:

What if we're the Warrior of Ice?

Of course, Alph and Tataru are bundled up and are still acting like they're going to get blown off the bridge. But not you - gently caress all weather!

Nebilim
Oct 21, 2010
Where does the music at about 4:48 in this video play? It's obviously the Dravanian Forelands theme but it's a different version from anything I've heard in-game.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nebilim posted:

Where does the music at about 4:48 in this video play? It's obviously the Dravanian Forelands theme but it's a different version from anything I've heard in-game.

It's uh right there in the video. It's the Churning Mists theme.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

3 hours later posted:

There are no agents available to chat with you right now. Please try again later.

:fuckoff:

Nebilim
Oct 21, 2010

Iron Tusk posted:

It's uh right there in the video. It's the Churning Mists theme.

Nah, the music doesn't match up with the zones shown in the video. The Churning Mists theme actually ended just before that part.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Yeah don't use their text chat. It's completely useless right now. This has happened to everyone I've seen use it. They wait for hours only to be told there's no one there.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Genocide with a cause!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Yeah don't use their text chat. It's completely useless right now. This has happened to everyone I've seen use it. They wait for hours only to be told there's no one there.

How the hell do I get in touch with them then? There isn't an option to email them since it wants me to log into my account.

Figured it out.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 26, 2015

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
I feel like classes that require more effort (ex MCH, MNK) should have a slight edge. Like MCH should just be hard bard that does slightly more damage if you are good and also maybe lucky with mechanics. I've felt like MNK has filled that spot well, even if I don't feel like playing it because effort.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How the hell do I get in touch with them then? There isn't an option to email them since it wants me to log into my account.

SE does indeed have an interesting market strategy!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So I've barely scratched the surface of the MSQ because I've been having a grand time with the new jobs, and though this probably isn't the first time it's been mentioned here, I wanted to pop in and say :lol: HOLY loving poo poo THE DARK KNIGHT QUESTS. :lol:

Your edgy teenage angst? Nope, that's played. Your secret desire for destruction and bloodshed? Naw, that ain't even a secret. :v: (plus WAR's gotcha covered there) That which fuels your ~inner darkness~ is your irritation with the usual bullshit of being an RPG protagonist. Fetch quests, ungrateful comrades, annoying NPCs, filler after filler, and not even a single good line of dialogue? It added up, and you are your own Fight Club-esque trainer. :allears: It's the finest demonstration of medium-awareness that this game has exhibited yet, and it's wonderful. Jesus gently caress I love the way this game embraces itself.

Also it has given me my newest favorite screenshot of sort-of my character.

Aside from the self-parody, there's a genuine poignant side as well. The climactic turn at the level 50 quest takes place where the local NPCs absolutely hated your guts at first, but openly come out to help you fix yourself. Just, drat, Square-Enix. Well played. :golfclap:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:(
http://whenarrowssing.tumblr.com/post/122457854538/ooc-noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-i-knew
http://whenarrowssing.tumblr.com/post/122458005693/ooc-why-did-i-do-this-one

I love that the writing team goes back and makes the world feel lived in

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey is there a good just "how to play your class" website/wiki/YouTube? I just feel like I'm pulling skills at random and not sure if I'm doing well or not.

Also any good UI setups/ sites to look around and steal?

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I just came in here to say that Paladin OT is good and fun even if we are the most inefficient and weakest MTs. I can actually use Clemency and Sheltron for mitigation when not having to deal with timing between auto attacks for shared cleaves on Ravana EX.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Is it just me or are dps queue times for HLDR utterly hosed? 30-45+ minutes this week, even with in-queue selected. Average wait to 5-8 minutes too, you dicks.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Is it just me or are dps queue times for HLDR utterly hosed? 30-45+ minutes this week, even with in-queue selected. Average wait to 5-8 minutes too, you dicks.

I heard a new expansion was coming out, so people might be doing that instead.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mazed posted:

So I've barely scratched the surface of the MSQ because I've been having a grand time with the new jobs, and though this probably isn't the first time it's been mentioned here, I wanted to pop in and say :lol: HOLY loving poo poo THE DARK KNIGHT QUESTS. :lol:

Your edgy teenage angst? Nope, that's played. Your secret desire for destruction and bloodshed? Naw, that ain't even a secret. :v: (plus WAR's gotcha covered there) That which fuels your ~inner darkness~ is your irritation with the usual bullshit of being an RPG protagonist. Fetch quests, ungrateful comrades, annoying NPCs, filler after filler, and not even a single good line of dialogue? It added up, and you are your own Fight Club-esque trainer. :allears: It's the finest demonstration of medium-awareness that this game has exhibited yet, and it's wonderful. Jesus gently caress I love the way this game embraces itself.

Also it has given me my newest favorite screenshot of sort-of my character.

Aside from the self-parody, there's a genuine poignant side as well. The climactic turn at the level 50 quest takes place where the local NPCs absolutely hated your guts at first, but openly come out to help you fix yourself. Just, drat, Square-Enix. Well played. :golfclap:

The 30-50 DRK quests are probably my favorite bit of class story content. The 50-60 stuff is pretty good, too.

Tiemrhon
Jul 27, 2010
I got Meditation recently and I'm still not entirely sure where it fits in. Am I right in assuming that I'm not really going to be building it up except between pulls and when a boss mechanic forces me to disengage? I've been experimenting with trying to weave it into the normal rotation, but it seems awkward at best.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Figured it out.

I'll assume you figured it out, but in case anyone else has this same problem, the only way to fix it is by calling them.

Also how I know this: apparently if you use your emergency code once you'll have to get a new one once you log in and re-do it. Makes sense, but ofc I didn't think it through at the time. Lesson learned.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

HLDR sucks dick cause it gives no xp from kills.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
that ravana music is a hell of a thing :stare:

also those AOEs are some of the most difficult poo poo I've ever seen in a main story progression in an MMO, but I'm a babby who mostly plays babby MMOs so maybe it's not that weird

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kuai posted:

HLDR sucks dick cause it gives no xp from kills.

15-20 minutes for 350k XP at 59 is still pretty good though. Just queue as a full party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Oh man, I know they always update the NPCs to say new things, but not quite expected this.

:smith:

• Locked thread