Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Chief Justice Roberts posted:

Voter ID laws, while probably paranoid and not necessary, are not an absurdly evil racist plot.

We don't live in Jim Crow anymore. We don't have poll taxes and nakedly racist, horrendous laws aimed at cleverly skirting the Feds to deny the vote to certain races. The VRA (specifically the preclearance sections) was an extraordinary law that should normally not be permitted, but was necessary for a time to deal with aggressive, weird, and extraordinary hostile and racist action by the states in our history.

Preclearance is simply not needed anymore. If southern states want to gerrymander for political purposes and require ID at the polls, fine, whatever. Its not going to save the GOP's losing battle with demographics in the long run. Illinois isn't above being very creative with redistricting to maximize the Democrat vote.

They are specifically aimed at disenfranchising minorities and elderly, which strikes me as an "absurdly evil racist plot." Are you one of those people that think that if it doesn't include the n-word it's not racist or what because Jesus Christ this post is terrible.

Edit: Also literally a poll tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

(1) most in accord with context and ordinary usage, and thus most likely to have been understood by the whole Congress which voted on the words of the statute (not to mention the citizens subject to it)

This most especially annoys me about Scalia's claim to textualism. If King's argument were an ordinary and natural reading of the statute, shouldn't this have come up the first time? The arguments of both sides and the court's opinions assumed the IRS' interpretation. If it takes people who hate the law and are desperate to destroy it 5 years of going through the text with a fine-toothed comb looking for something, anything, that can be construed against the government, isn't that a pretty strong sign you're not dealing with a natural reading of the law here?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Jagchosis posted:

They are specifically aimed at disenfranchising minorities and elderly, which strikes me as an "absurdly evil racist plot." Are you one of those people that think that if it doesn't include the n-word it's not racist or what because Jesus Christ this post is terrible.

Edit: Also literally a poll tax

Specifically, what are you talking about? Voter ID laws? Redistricting? What, exactly?

Those are light-years away from the shenanigans the VRA was originally intended to address, and they are both plausibly connected to political, not racial, motives.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Northjayhawk posted:

Voter ID laws, while probably paranoid and not necessary, are not an absurdly evil racist plot.

We don't live in Jim Crow anymore. We don't have poll taxes and nakedly racist, horrendous laws aimed at cleverly skirting the Feds to deny the vote to certain races. The VRA (specifically the preclearance sections) was an extraordinary law that should normally not be permitted, but was necessary for a time to deal with aggressive, weird, and extraordinary hostile and racist action by the states in our history.

Preclearance is simply not needed anymore. If southern states want to gerrymander for political purposes and require ID at the polls, fine, whatever. Its not going to save the GOP's losing battle with demographics in the long run. Illinois isn't above being very creative with redistricting to maximize the Democrat vote.

Designing lower booth-to-voter ratios, removing early voting, and shortening polling hours are all tailored to cut the legs out from under the working class and people who live in high-density areas e.g. minorities in the city. Voter ID, when paired with draconian rules regarding documentation as well as fuckery with DMV hours and locations, as well as a fee to acquire proper ID, is a truncheon aimed square at the head of immigrants and the poor, e.g. minorities.

I never thought I'd see someone so loving stupid that they thought laws had to literally be "An Act To Chain The Darkies In The Fields" in order to be fairly called racist.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Designing lower booth-to-voter ratios

Why do you need preclearance for that? You can challenge that poo poo in court.

Regarding early voting and poll hours, I don't really see that as connected to race per se, at all. We don't have a constitutional right to early voting.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 26, 2015

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

This most especially annoys me about Scalia's claim to textualism. If King's argument were an ordinary and natural reading of the statute, shouldn't this have come up the first time? The arguments of both sides and the court's opinions assumed the IRS' interpretation. If it takes people who hate the law and are desperate to destroy it 5 years of going through the text with a fine-toothed comb looking for something, anything, that can be construed against the government, isn't that a pretty strong sign you're not dealing with a natural reading of the law here?

Scalia was for the interpretation before he was against it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Northjayhawk posted:

After all, there are no de-facto barriers to the legal process faced by poor people and minorities, and lawsuits are resolved instantly.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Northjayhawk posted:

Specifically, what are you talking about? Voter ID laws? Redistricting? What, exactly?

Those are light-years away from the shenanigans the VRA was originally intended to address, and they are both plausibly connected to political, not racial, motives.

The "political motive" is preventing brown people from voting

Northjayhawk posted:

So you support wasting government resources on expensive litigation against laws with no legitimate basis not steeped in political corruption and racial animus because _____?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Northjayhawk posted:

Because the other sections of the VRA require the plaintiffs to show discriminatory intent and are thus difficult to win because you can literally just find and replace Minorities/Blacks with Democrats and it's magically legal.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

mdemone posted:

After all, there are no de-facto barriers to the legal process faced by poor people and minorities, and lawsuits are resolved instantly.

Then make preclearance a nationwide thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Northjayhawk posted:

Or here outside Fort White Privilege you can try to challenge it in court before the election the following day.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Northjayhawk posted:

Wow I didn't know John Roberts was a goon!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Wow I didn't know John Roberts was a goon!

I already made that joke. But yeah kansas guy is just parroting Shelby County's logic:

Northjayhawk posted:

As if it was at all persuasive in hiding the intent of that rancid decision.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
When does the mandatory gay marriage decision get announced?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
This discussion is hella weird given that the Court literally upheld a disparate impact test under the FHA this week. I'm personally leery of disparate impact claims because it sometimes seems hard to find a policy that can't be gamed by the rich at the expense of the poor (and by extension minorities), but I completely recognize the need for them in housing and voting rights.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Northjayhawk posted:

If their political motives weren't racially colored, they wouldn't need to disenfranchise racial minorities to achieve them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Short of a nuclear bomb, anything that makes Ramirez mad is good for America.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

awesmoe posted:

Maybe tomorrow, or as late as the 30th. I saw a source saying they had added the 30th as a decision day, though normally the 29th would be the last day to release rulings.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Northjayhawk posted:

This is a good idea. However moving down to preclearance in none of the nation because you can't have it in all of the nation is not a good idea.

As for your previous question of what was a poll tax, voter ID is a poll tax. You can't just get an ID for free, it costs money to get the ID plus the time and transportation involved. It also just happens to turn out that those with ID issues tend towards populations that benefited most from the VRA preclearance.

And example of loving around with early voting being "totally not racial" happened in Florida. Many black churches got their congregants out on the Sunday before the election to vote, called Souls to the Polls. It was done to get those in need free transportation to and from their polling location. For years it had been the same Sunday, and had worked out well. Then, in between election cycles the Florida Legislature decided that there was just too much early voting, so they cut the number of early voting days allowed and ended early voting the Saturday before the traditional Souls to the Polls day.

The VRA in it's entirety is important because States and Municipalities don't post "No Blacks Allowed" signs on precincts or make regulations that specifically point out that the new regulation is done on totally racist grounds. They've moved on and learned some nuance. Ignoring the effects of acts and shrugging just because the act isn't overtly racist is the same as Roberts' idiocy about bribery in Citizens United.

Further the idea that the courts are a reasonable method of settling voter issues is silly. Once again using Florida: Florida passed an amendment that required all legislative districts to be drawn in as party blind a fashion as possible. The Legislature fought tooth and nail against the amendment, then after losing immediately drew up partisan as gently caress districts. It took something like 2 election cycles for them to get slapped down by the Florida Supreme court and the new new districts still haven't gone into effect yet. So for 3 or so elections they got to play dirty and get away with it. That's 6 years of laws and budgets and funding that constituents lost their voice in because the Legislature thumbed their nose at the law. How is that a reasonable solution?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

He sold the ranch and moved back to Martha's Vineyard between the election and inauguration or pretty much as soon as he didn't need to pretend to be a cowboy anymore.

I don't think he sold the ranch and he moved closer to Dallas full time.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
http://gawker.com/quiz-antonin-scalia-or-minions-meme-1714032368

surprisingly difficult

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

...why does that quiz includes questions that are explicitly in reference to things that would only matter in a court case? I get it's a joke, but they could at least put in the barest amount of :effort:

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
I love the pious hand-wringing over JUDICIAL ACTIVISM with a court which granted itself vast powers out of hand over a century ago.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I love the pious hand-wringing over JUDICIAL ACTIVISM with a court which granted itself vast powers out of hand over a century ago.

Over a century ago? Let's be realistic here, Marbury v. Madison dates back to over two centuries ago.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I hope Justice Scalia knows he can always resign. After reading his comments about the ACA, gee whiz..

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Abner Cadaver II posted:

And there are loving imbeciles who disagree with even that decision. They're like 2 steps away from sovereign citizens. The thing that will blow your mind is that there are actual lawyers who hold those beliefs. It's like the creationist geologists. My mind reels thinking about the compartmentalization they have to do in order to get through their day.

IANAL, though, so I'm not sure how common it is other than knowing they exist. Maybe some of the actual lawyers can weigh in on the prevalence. I know it's definitely not a lot.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

piscesbobbie posted:

I hope Justice Scalia knows he can always resign. After reading his comments about the ACA, gee whiz..

Scalia is gonna sit on that bench until he withers of extreme old age.

By then his clerks and tech-priests will have transformed it into a throne that will sustain his soul for eternity as he clings to life, a Carrion Justice, dispensing scathing dissent through his Tarot

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Northjayhawk posted:

There's a good argument for this, but as Justice Sotomayor pointed out during oral argument, even if you want to make the case that the South writ large has changed, Shelby County sure as poo poo had not. For me, that calls into question how much the South had actually changed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought that the VRA was Robert's personal white whale from way back from when he worked for Reagan. If he thought the South had changed back in 1982 then it seriously calls into question his judgement in regards to that issue.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Well, on the ACA I guessed the ruling right, but got the author and reasoning wrong. Where was the handwringing over state sovereignty, Kennedy? Making me look bad, here.

I'm sticking to my guns on the gay marriage ruling - because who am I to buck popular wisdom - that Kennedy is writing with equal protection clause reasoning. Going all in, none of this must simply respect gay marriages from other states half-step business.

edit:

Alito writes the dissent
Kennedy opinion contains at least three instances of purple prose that make everyone roll their eyes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like some people in here need to re-read that Lee Atwater quote before they start trying to unironically argue that because we don't have Jim Crow anymore that it still means voting is easy for minorities.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Green Crayons posted:

I'm sticking to my guns on the gay marriage ruling - because who am I to buck popular wisdom - that Kennedy is writing with equal protection clause reasoning. Going all in, none of this must simply respect gay marriages from other states half-step business.

But HOW the 5th/14th are utilized is important. Kennedy had an opportunity to rule on equal protection grounds in Windsor, but appeared to do so on the basis of animus that doesn't need anything other than a rational basis of scrutiny (also something something federalism blah blah states rights and please won't somebody think the children). The victory that gay rights advocates are looking for is as a suspect class worthy of strict scrutiny. Kennedy's DOMA decision was meandering garbage with ill-conceived hand-waving to take the place of any sort of coherent argument structure.

This was two years ago, I don't think Kennedy is going to significantly change his tune.

Like I said, let Kennedy try to make a meal of his own tripe. I want RBG to ignore it and write the concurrence that clearly expresses the EPC grounds to an individual right to marry. She won't gently caress it up.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Green Crayons posted:

Well, on the ACA I guessed the ruling right, but got the author and reasoning wrong. Where was the handwringing over state sovereignty, Kennedy? Making me look bad, here.

edit:

Alito writes the dissent
Kennedy opinion contains at least three instances of purple prose that make everyone roll their eyes

Betting Kennedy over Roberts as authoring King was a sucker bet, for real.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There should be a national Federal ID that's free and mailed to you; they should similar to how it's done in Quebec, simply set up photobooths during Highschool once or twice a year, take your picture and present you your ID then and then offer the service again in College in case you lose it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

awesmoe posted:

Today or Monday. There's only 5 cases left, it should only take these 2 days

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

There should be a national Federal ID that's free and mailed to you; they should similar to how it's done in Quebec, simply set up photobooths during Highschool once or twice a year, take your picture and present you your ID then and then offer the service again in College in case you lose it.

Mark of the beast!

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm tired of you drat satanists who don't realize that a national ID is the mark of the beast and will be used to track our activities and cull the herd when Obama ascends to his fiery throne beside the Whore of Babylon.

For whatever reason there's a large enough contingent who is strongly enough against this, it's unlikely to ever happen.

Large swaths of Texas, the GOP controlled Midwest and the Rust Belt wouldn't accept the national ID for voting anyway. Or any student IDs. Your conceal and carry permit will be just fine though-after all the ammo box and ballot box are closely tied.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Who is "Lyle" that Amy Howe is always waiting for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

alnilam posted:

Who is "Lyle" that Amy Howe is always waiting for?

Their runner, he is there to get the opinions and run it to Amy