Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Bort Bortles posted:

Whats this about using a female crew and getting to 5 skills?!? I've been out of the loop for 2+ years.

For each type of tank you complete a line of personal missions for (Heavy, Light, Med, SPG, TD), you get a special female crew member with the skill 'Sister of Steel' or some goofy crap, which is basically BIA. It is 'free', meaning it doesn't count against the number of skills your crew member has. So his next skill advances like it was her first skill, not her second. They are very nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WayAbvPar posted:

For each type of tank you complete a line of personal missions for (Heavy, Light, Med, SPG, TD), you get a special female crew member with the skill 'Sister of Steel' or some goofy crap, which is basically BIA. It is 'free', meaning it doesn't count against the number of skills your crew member has. So his next skill advances like it was her first skill, not her second. They are very nice!
Interesting. I am probably too low effort to bother but it is good to know, thank you!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just do the missions passively. The StuG IV and its five free female tankers is hilariously easy to get if you're decent at the game, especially now that they've removed the MUST PLATOON requirement for the last few missions.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They've also started including 'zero skill' BiA crews with some premium tanks. Or at least they did with this summer's limited availability tanks. Which is awesome because as I say, I have a five skill crew ready for when I can be arsed to grind the credits to buy my first tier X medium, and I have a three skill crew from the Rudy ready to take over in the T-54 for the 200,000xp grind to unlock the other tier X.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Controversial opinion: grinding the KV-85 with the stock gun is a nightmare.

I would need to use half my precious free xp to buy the 100mm though....

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Blindeye posted:

the entire purpose of free xp is to buy the better modules for tanks so you don't need to grind on stock

don't suffer through a lovely stock gun if you can just buy the better one with free xp

in fact, save yourself a headache and don't even buy a new tank unless you've got enough free xp to get it off the garbage it starts off with

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 26, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Blindeye posted:

Use it. There are precious few tanks that aren't horrible trials without the top gun equipped.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

Church 3 is one of the best T5's in the game. It is super dangerous when used correctly, even against T6's.

I accidentally qued into a tier 10 game in my Churchill 3 and killed a T54E1 when he was reloading. :c00lbutt: He was already wounded but still had to do 900 damage to him.

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.
I picked up the Batchat a little while ago but hadn't really made a serious effort to play it because of PTSD from playing the 13/90 and Lorraine and helplessly watching pubs throw games while I'm stuck on reload. Happily, nothing has changed.

Also, I hadn't realized how ammo-limited this goofy little thing is. If you count that game (with allowances for not taking the snapshot at the end), I've run completely dry three times in six battles. Naturally those three games were all losses, because once you lose the ability to do damage the enemy team automatically wins since your pubbies will do everything in their power to avoid firing their guns at the enemy.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Argus Zant posted:

the entire purpose of free xp is to buy the better modules for tanks so you don't need to grind on stock

don't suffer through a lovely stock gun if you can just buy the better one with free xp

in fact, save yourself a headache and don't even buy a new tank unless you've got enough free xp to get it off the garbage it starts off with

Comedy option: save all your free xp for a tree that has yet to be released or even have any tanks previewed.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Alright lately I've been getting all kinds of games with tons of artillery and TDs but next to no meds or heavies. I'd always been aware of the jokes going around about "World of TDs" and 4 arty per side, but this has taken a turn lately for the surreal and I don't know why. I don't know if everyone is pantsshitting about a med pen nerf but this is really ridiculous. All I can say about it is that if you are playing a light tank right now you can REALLY clean up. Not like how it was a few months ago when all these new lights were released and nobody knew how to deal with them - it's seriously just a joke right now to get into a light tank and circlestrafe like you are playing Quake III.

And why the gently caress would you play a stock tank, ever

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Agrajag posted:

The way AW balanced MBT's to act worse than WW2 era tanks to make every other vehicle class feel "unique" is dumb. MBT's in AW have atrocious gun handling compared to everything and Vstab is apparently not a thing for that class. Also, mobility is on par or in some cases worse than some heavies in WoT. I'm not sure what AW devs are trying to do but it sucks atm.
It probably has a lot to due with the fact that tanks from the 60's onward were all fairly mobile and accurate compared to the rapidly changing tanks of the 30's-40's. They have to figure out how to make a "heavier" class that gets bigger guns/health/armor at the expense of speed and agility for gameplays sake.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

cheese posted:

It probably has a lot to due with the fact that tanks from the 60's onward were all fairly mobile and accurate compared to the rapidly changing tanks of the 30's-40's. They have to figure out how to make a "heavier" class that gets bigger guns/health/armor at the expense of speed and agility for gameplays sake.

The trade-off is really bad and the game needs a fairly healthy dose of rebalancing.

As it is, MBTs are basically good at lemmingtraining if they get vision from a good AFV player. They really, really suck if they're in the open because their vision is super duper poor.
I don't mind that MBTs have to work with other things to be useful, I just wish that those other things were played by good players/didn't have other roles that really bad players will emphasise (I HAVE NO ARMOUR AND A MISSILE SO I AM GOING TO CAMP AT THE ABSOLUTE BACK OF THE MAP HURR DURR).

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
apparently the fcm loses pref mm in 9.9

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Alright lately I've been getting all kinds of games with tons of artillery and TDs but next to no meds or heavies. I'd always been aware of the jokes going around about "World of TDs" and 4 arty per side, but this has taken a turn lately for the surreal and I don't know why. I don't know if everyone is pantsshitting about a med pen nerf but this is really ridiculous. All I can say about it is that if you are playing a light tank right now you can REALLY clean up. Not like how it was a few months ago when all these new lights were released and nobody knew how to deal with them - it's seriously just a joke right now to get into a light tank and circlestrafe like you are playing Quake III.

And why the gently caress would you play a stock tank, ever

except this is and has always been bullshit because for every time a light tank does a solo endzone run into your cap or circlestrafes a td to death there will be dozens of far less memorable occasions where the light tank gets blown to pieces far before it gets anything accomplished. Tanks isn't a twitch shooter even if you're in a pz1 powersliding down a hill

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Atal Vataman posted:

yeah I don't believe that at all

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Jack_tripper posted:

but what if it's true? and they come for the IS-6 next? or the type 59?

Prav fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 26, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Prav posted:

but what if it's true? and they come for the IS-6 next? or the type 59?

My wet dream.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Atal Vataman posted:

Now that's some bullshit. If they want to give the FCM 50t preferential MM, they can retire the FCM 50t and make an FCM 50t*.

Jack_tripper posted:

They might just be collecting data to see if it can work as an normal-MM tank. At least, that's what I'm hoping for. The FCM without pref is going to eat so many 400-500 damage direct-fire shots, to say nothing of the fact that it'll be a loving artillery magnet.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 26, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I wonder if they're gonna do anything about the name of that AwfulPanther replacement tank for the NA server, because I can see a tank named SPIC rustling a few jimmies.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

gently caress it, I'm going to NYC for the weekend

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

idgi

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

yaay posted:

except this is and has always been bullshit because for every time a light tank does a solo endzone run into your cap or circlestrafes a td to death there will be dozens of far less memorable occasions where the light tank gets blown to pieces far before it gets anything accomplished. Tanks isn't a twitch shooter even if you're in a pz1 powersliding down a hill

I dunno man. I don't know where exactly you're coming from, but personally I've been having a really easy time of it lately playing light tanks. Then again I don't yolo straight into the enemy cap like a shitlord pubstar mouthbreather. So...there's that.

However, I'm better at picking fantasy video game tanks than playing video game tanks:

I expected more from FightBreastCancer and Dodoma, but the rest of my picks came through pretty well.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Atal Vataman posted:

confirmed to be a bug with mm in test.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

confirmed to be a bug with mm in test.

And so, tens of people sigh in relief.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm very sad.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
SCOTUS ruling has caused the collective meltdown of so many sperglords in WoT. Really affirms my belief that the average WoT player is human scum.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Agrajag posted:

SCOTUS ruling has caused the collective meltdown of so many sperglords in WoT. Really affirms my belief that the average WoT player is human scum.

Oh man, this is going to be great. Should start performing gay marriages in game and telling people not too shoot until the ceremony is over.

Also, holy poo poo tier 3 campaign missions are giving me 300K pay checks for completing them this owns.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 26, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

BadLlama posted:

Oh man, this is going to be great. Should start performing gay marriages in game and telling people not too shoot until the ceremony is over.

I'm going to marry my M55 commander. Gift list can be found the premium shop.

Also, while this has nothing to do with tanks, Kennedy's opinion was awesome:

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization's oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgement of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed. It is so ordered."

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

BadLlama posted:

Also, holy poo poo tier 3 campaign missions are giving me 300K pay checks for completing them this owns.

Which campaign is this?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The T55A missions.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

The Southern Dandy posted:

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization's oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgement of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed. It is so ordered."

I thought it was beautiful. I am so happy about it I can't stop smiling!

Not currently playing tanks, but gently caress it. This is important.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

This made me even happier -

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

WayAbvPar posted:

That response is pretty great.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

subhelios posted:

I thought it was beautiful. I am so happy about it I can't stop smiling!

Not currently playing tanks, but gently caress it. This is important.

A happy day for law, for gays, for America.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

WayAbvPar posted:

Is it bad that this gave me a boner and I jerked imagining I were using the tears of homophobes as lube?

A happy day for law, for gays, for America.

Think of it this way; Hellsau and Chillsau can now marry under the eyes of god and the law. God bless.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Agrajag posted:

Is it bad that this gave me a boner and I jerked imagining I were using the tears of homophobes as lube?

Think of it this way; Hellsau and Chillsau can now marry under the eyes of god and the law. God bless.

Have a blessed day!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
"Hello everyone! I am performing free in-game gay marriages to celebrate the US Supreme Court's ruling! PM me for details."

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
ill be using that in matches tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
instead of "pm me for details" you should just pick 2 players each battle and gay marry them in chat