Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wasn't it Momonaga or whatever his name was that she pat on the head? The copycat guy?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-042--And-Now--The-Finals?id=229066

There was also this fancomic, which takes it to a new level.

Yeah, you're right, I misremembered who she patted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember too much about this manga than I should for my own good.

I need help.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm hype for Midoriya being a badass once he gets this figured out.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just noticed something. In chapter 46, Gran Torino called Deku Toshinori. Do you think that's significant?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Chapter is out:

http://www.readmanga.today/boku-no-hero-academia/48/1

Spoilers: Midoriya gets the idea to...apply the 5% he can control to his whole body evenly instead of trying to use it in bursts. I dunno, that seems like the first thing I'd try but whatever!

We've seen how badly OFA can wreck him. Would you really want to run the risk of ripping your whole body apart with your powers?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I really like the explanation for all this, honestly. He keeps thinking of his power as a 'power' not as something about him. Where everyone else spent 12-16 years with their quirks getting used to it and learning it the same as they learned to walk, he has to learn that from the beginning. It's a way better explanation for why he'd be having so much trouble than most manga would give

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Chapter was rad. Having just read Oumagadoki over the last week or two it's cool seeing Uwabami back in action.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
IIRC, its basically a matter of taking off the training wheels that Deku has had since the early chapters. Ie, where he limited OFA to a single point to avoid it tearing apart his body, that's not really how it's supposed to work, so keeping to that method is a crutch in the long run if he wants to truly master it.

Should be fun to see how it goes from here.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Heyyy! A cameo from Oumagadoki Zoo! Uwabami always had a neat design, and I'm glad that she's getting reused for MHA. She really fits nicely into the superhero universe!

Thank you! I knew I recognized snake lady but I could not place her for the life of me.

Chapter was awesome too. I didn't think of this OFA application at all, so the presentation of it really hooked me.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just noticed something. In chapter 46, Gran Torino called Deku Toshinori. Do you think that's significant?

The end of chapter 47 has him referring to All Might as Toshinori, so I'm guessing it's just All Might's real name.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Awww yissssss
MHA just never stops being good.

Also I want:
More of that Tetsu/Kirishima Predator style handshake.
More Of Jeaner. (JEANER!)
And how is Gun head's speech cute?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I was kinda wondering about that as well, if there was something about how he phrased things or some descriptor for his voice that didn't come across.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Anyone have the Japanese raws for this chapter? I'd like to find the answer to that myself. There's a decent looking site called MangaHead but 48 isn't out there yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet Midoriya's tutor could beat up all his classmates' tutors.

edit: One thing I've found kind of strange about what was revealed in this chapter is that, given that All Might apparently had an easy time adapting to One for All, I'm wondering why he wasn't more confused and concerned about Midoriya repeatedly grievously harming himself. He apparently didn't go through the same thing, or at least to nearly the same degree, so it seems strange than he wasn't more like "whoa wait a second what in the gently caress is going on, I don't remember maiming myself multiple times while learning to use One for All."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 26, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ytlaya posted:

edit: One thing I've found kind of strange about what was revealed in this chapter is that, given that All Might apparently had an easy time adapting to One for All, I'm wondering why he wasn't more confused and concerned about Midoriya repeatedly grievously harming himself. He apparently didn't go through the same thing, or at least to nearly the same degree, so it seems strange than he wasn't more like "whoa wait a second what in the gently caress is going on, I don't remember maiming myself multiple times while learning to use One for All."

If All Might was unique, his mentor would have been surprised, and so he would have known not to be surprised when Midoriya has issues.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'm assuming it's his tone of voice. I interpreted it as him being soft-spoken, but I guess maybe it could be read as him sounding like a cute guy beneath the mask? Like a Japanese boy band singer or something.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I assumed he was doing one of those unnecessary ending suffix verbal tick things and the translators just dropped it entirely.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blhue posted:

I assumed he was doing one of those unnecessary ending suffix verbal tick things and the translators just dropped it entirely.

I'm glad because those things are loving awful and manga authors keep insisting on loving including it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Blhue posted:

This is impossible because the scanlators would have written an essay after the chapter if this were the case. Theyre very verbose in those author notes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ytlaya posted:

All might directly indicated that he had much more time than midoriya to practice as well.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I really like Gran Torino.

This arc is shaping up to be awesome already.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Heyyy! A cameo from Oumagadoki Zoo! Uwabami always had a neat design, and I'm glad that she's getting reused for MHA. She really fits nicely into the superhero universe!

I forgot all about OZ. Turns out I have always liked this artist I guess!

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

So as to Gunhead's "cute" speech, it appears as if he just speaks really politely, which coming from a cool, imposing Battle Hero, is admittedly quite cute. Also the fact he's addressing a younger tag along hero-in-training with such mannerisms is uncommon.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

kinmik posted:

So as to Gunhead's "cute" speech, it appears as if he just speaks really politely, which coming from a cool, imposing Battle Hero, is admittedly quite cute. Also the fact he's addressing a younger tag along hero-in-training with such mannerisms is uncommon.

I wonder if that's just a mask or if he actually has a face made of guns.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

JosephWongKS posted:

I wonder if that's just a mask or if he actually has a face made of guns.

If his face was actually made of guns, how does he eat?

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

DrSunshine posted:

If his face was actually made of guns, how does he eat?

Reloading

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

So he's just regurgitating on his enemies?

Cool

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers are out:

Stain and Shigaraki come to blows, with Shigaraki being on the losing end; Stain pins him, stabbing him with one knife and pinning the other next to his head. Shigaraki grabs and disintegrates one of the knives and Stain backs off. Words are exchanged and Black Mist ports Stain out.

Midoriya fights Torino again trying to use his current 5% on his whole body; he does much better but still can't catch Torino. I haven't seen a translation so it's not clear but either Midoriya can only keep up 5% on his whole body for 3 minutes or Torino sets an arbitrary time limit to catch him.

More brooding from Iida, complete with another creepy face. Partial half-trustworthy translations imply he's thinking of becoming a full-fledged vigilante.

Basically the last panel is pretty much a good summation of the chapter:
http://i.imgur.com/lTEHebm.png?1

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 2, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Stain and Shigaraki come to blows, with Shigaraki being on the losing end; Stain pins him, stabbing him one knife and pinning the other next to his head. Shigaraki grabs and disintegrates one of the knives and Stain backs off. Words are exchanged and Black Mist ports Stain out.
Huh.

Interesting then if the villain also has room to grow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Clarification on spoilers: Apparently Stain agrees to work with Shigaraki at the end after he says he wants to kill All Might since they share that goal. Stain's goals are the destruction of the hero system since he thinks its phony, but ironically he apparently hates criminals too. Shigaraki just wants to kill All Might and tear down the world that idolizes him and people like him. Also Stain's quirk seems to be something related to paralysis.

Stain asks to go back to the area where Iida is, saying he has "unfinished business". Iida thinks he has cracked Stain's pattern since he only seems to attack 4 heroes per district he goes to and his brother was only the first. He says he's going to kill Stain with his own hands.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 2, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shigaraki is an interesting villain because, overall, he's far from the most impressive character in the series, or even among the villains. His quirk, disintegration, can be powerful, but being able to destroy things you physically touch is rather low-key compared to most of the powers we've seen in this. Any amount of range, or outspeeding him, or simply being able to tank the part of your body being disintegrated and wail on him anyway, will beat him; a lot of the higher-powered heroes and villains are basically playing rocket tag with their abilities, making the range of his ability and how long it takes to work significant weaknesses. He doesn't seem particularly physically impressive either, at least to an extent that can shore up these issues.

Meanwhile, character-wise, he is... Unusual, to put it mildly. He's strange, unstable, and shallow, and while his philosophy appeals to certain people he's not an exceptional leader nor a particularly effective speaker or persuader. He is, in fact, generally an extremely uncharismatic person, even if he got a bit grandiose when talking to All Might in the USJ. Looking even deeper than that, he's outright childish, viewing the world in extremely simple terms and describing things as if they were a video game.

His interactions with Stain illustrate this well; he immediately alienates someone who should be a potential ally, fails to correct this or even realize that he's going about things the wrong way, and then gets his rear end kicked by him. While he eventually brings Stain over, it's a rather difficult process that, among other things, got him stabbed, and their alliance seems tenuous at best. He's having a harder time of things than some of the heroes are, and yet he seems to be the apparent main villain of the series (though it's more likely that the person/people behind him are the true overall villains).

He's just such an usual fit here, bucking so many normal villain tropes and being in an extremely odd position for such a figure. I really want to know more about him, and see how he's supposed to be the anti-All Might, the villain's equivalent to him as a symbol, that his father/teacher declared him to be.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Reminds me a bit of Blackbeard in some ways. Dude started out as a bottom-rung chump nobody'd ever heard of only to weasel his way to the top villain slot over the course of the series. Typically the villain of any given story begins in a place of power over the heroes who must journey to improve themselves, so it was kinda cool seeing a bad guy who had to step his game up and grow throughout the series as well.

I see a lot of potential for that in Shiggy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Reminds me a bit of Blackbeard in some ways. Dude started out as a bottom-rung chump nobody'd ever heard of only to weasel his way to the top villain slot over the course of the series. Typically the villain of any given story begins in a place of power over the heroes who must journey to improve themselves, so it was kinda cool seeing a bad guy who had to step his game up and grow throughout the series as well.

I see a lot of potential for that in Shiggy.

See also, Glemmy Toto from ZZ Gundam, who started off as an inexperienced rich kid pilot with mild but troubling boundary issues with women and used the family credit account, some strategic orphanage-scouting, and a dash of cunning and charisma to make a serious bid at becoming paedo-king of the solar system.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Shigaraki and Stain have some lovely little brother/big brother dynamic going on in this chapter. drat. I really hope the story picks up the pace in a chapter or two though, it's starting to drag on with Midoriya still trying to figure out how to use his quirk.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Shigaraki and Stain have some lovely little brother/big brother dynamic going on in this chapter. drat. I really hope the story picks up the pace in a chapter or two though, it's starting to drag on with Midoriya still trying to figure out how to use his quirk.

Any other Manga and we would still be in the fist big fight of the tournament arc. Slight drag seems alright, couple of chapters can't hurt.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kortel posted:

Any other Manga and we would still be in the fist big fight of the tournament arc. Slight drag seems alright, couple of chapters can't hurt.

Yeah, but with the author's type of pacing it definitely is dragging on a bit. We've had basically 3 chapters devoted to Midoriya marginally getting slightly better at his powers and a little background stuff with the villains. Obviously he's trying to build it up a bit but if there's another chapter or two like this before the next big event starts playing out it's gonna have some serious pacing issues.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter's out - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-049--Midoriya-and-Shigaraki?id=234413

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 3, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If this ever gets an anime the sports festival arc is going to have beyond Davy Back bonus games level of filler in it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Deku using One-For-All throughout his body like that really reminds me of Gon or Killua when they were learning to use Nen for the first time.

A good reminder, since HxH was one of the best Shonen mangas I'd ever read!

EDIT: :stare: Well then. Iida does look... quite evil in that last panel.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love how he is using these different art styles. Not just with All might.
Shigaraki can look absolutely horrifying at times, and it really helps showing Ida heading off in the deep end.