Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

TheNothingNew posted:

cyberia: you don't rinse your beans after the soak? I'm not great with dried beans, but from a can I have to rinse them or else there's way too much starch and everyone gets uncomfortably gassy.

Also do you salt your soak water or not?

Never used Sumac. Think I need another trip to Penzey's...

If I'm making rice and beans I don't rinse my beans, I just boil them in the same water I soaked them in. As per this serious eats article, not rinsing black beans helps retain flavour and colour and the starchy water adds thickness to the finised dish. I also don't salt the water or add any excess salt to the dish as I'm cooking it but that's because I prefer to either add salt when I'm eating or put some soy sauce on the rice.

If I use canned beans I definitely rinse them but I don't find I get too much gas with dried beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Nice! Thanks.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

cyberia posted:

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I loving love rice and beans and am happy to cook a big pot of it twice a week and eat it for lunch and dinner every day. Speaking of which, I think I have perfected my rice and beans recipe so I'll put it here for other goons to try:

- Before you go to work in the morning put a cup of black beans in a pot of water to soak

- When you get home from work put the pot of beans onto boil. Boil (or simmer if you have more time) until the water is mostly gone and you're left with a soupy pot o' beans

- Take the pot off the stove, put some oil in your frypan and put it on the heat. Once the oil is hot put a big scoop (maybe 2 tbs) of cumin, half as much sumac and a pinch of brown sugar and stir (you can use freshly ground spices or powdered)

- Add two finely diced white onions and some grated ginger to your oil, stir, turn the heat down, put the lid on the pan and leave until the onions are soft (5 minutes or so)

- Add half a pound of beef mince and stir until cooked through

- Add your cooked beans then add a splash each of white vinegar, worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Stir until everything is well combined

- Serve with rice, garnish with chopped spring onions

I've found that a cup of beans, two onions and a half pound of beef easily makes 5-6 servings and when served with a bit of salad (or really, some spinach leaves with balsamic vinegar on them) seems like a reasonably healthy meal.

Last page but god drat I just made a bunch of this the other day. Rice and beans is always something I wanted to get into because super cheap and filling, and the vinegar is what brought it together and took it from 'this is edible but eeeeeeh' to being able to eat it all week.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

SavTargaryen posted:

Last page but god drat I just made a bunch of this the other day. Rice and beans is always something I wanted to get into because super cheap and filling, and the vinegar is what brought it together and took it from 'this is edible but eeeeeeh' to being able to eat it all week.

Cool! I'm glad you liked it. And yeah, the vinegar really gives it a depth of flavour that it needs. When I first started cooking beans (mainly refried beans or black beans by themselves) I found myself dumping tons of salt on them to try to add flavour then I figured out hot sauce like tapatio or tabasco worked better which led to just adding vinegar during the cooking process and suddenly, bam! the beans were tasty as gently caress.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I'm a huge baby who doesn't want to eat the same things twice in a row ever, it's pretty much the reason I started learning how to cook properly. I buy about the same ingredients as you would need for big-batch cooking and turn them into a lot of different things. Half a zucchini would be roasted one night, a quarter end up in a pasta dish the next, a bit cut up raw for a salad or just eaten as a snack with some soy sauce or something. Canned whole tomatoes can be soup with the addition of some stock, reduced into a sauce base for pasta dishes or curry or shakshuka or what have you, reduced further into marinade or a dip. A big can of beans can be wraps, rice&beans, salads, bean burgers, hummus, roasted bean salad... Using everything just to make one dish seems like wasted potential for fun and flavour to me, but I'm aware that most people prefer to use their time for different things.

It's a fun way for newbie cooks to branch out and experiment without dooming themselves to a giant batch of disappointment though V:shobon:V

exquisite tea posted:

Seriously, I'd probably have nothing on my mind if I couldn't contemplate what I'm going to cook for dinner when I get home from work, in great detail.

This. In great, delectable detail and with frequent food-swings.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PiratePing posted:

I'm a huge baby who doesn't want to eat the same things twice in a row ever, it's pretty much the reason I started learning how to cook properly. I buy about the same ingredients as you would need for big-batch cooking and turn them into a lot of different things. Half a zucchini would be roasted one night, a quarter end up in a pasta dish the next, a bit cut up raw for a salad or just eaten as a snack with some soy sauce or something. Canned whole tomatoes can be soup with the addition of some stock, reduced into a sauce base for pasta dishes or curry or shakshuka or what have you, reduced further into marinade or a dip. A big can of beans can be wraps, rice&beans, salads, bean burgers, hummus, roasted bean salad... Using everything just to make one dish seems like wasted potential for fun and flavour to me, but I'm aware that most people prefer to use their time for different things.

It's a fun way for newbie cooks to branch out and experiment without dooming themselves to a giant batch of disappointment though V:shobon:V

This. In great, delectable detail and with frequent food-swings.

I do the same with whatever comes up in season. Right now summer vegetables are super cheap and high quality coming into season so I make ratatouille one day, grilled eggplant slices for another day, babaganoush with raw pepper slices another day, stuffed zucchini the next etc etc out of the same core group of stuff. During the winter its lots of carrot and cauliflour based vegetable dishes along with occasional brussels sprouts or cabbage and lots of fall squashes. Buying produce along its seasonal lines will almost always end up being cheaper unless you don't have much in the way of grocery store choices.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

PiratePing posted:

Pulled Pork is probably the most versatile meat in my household. It can be a sandwich, it can be on top of rice, it can be tacos, nachos, and quesadillas, it can be in an omelette, it can be on top of a salad. When Pork Shoulder is on sale, you best hop on that protein train.

I also am a huge baby about eating the same thing in a row. Except for today where I ate Nachos for three meals. Breakfast nachos with eggs, Lunch Nachos from Tijuana Flats, Pulled Pork (and spinach corn tomatillo salsa) Dinner Nachos with leftover chips from TJ's because they give you extra if you ask nice. Cheating, maybe, as TJ's is not cheap eats. But I was treating myself. Anyhoo. NACHOS.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

cyberia posted:

Cool! I'm glad you liked it. And yeah, the vinegar really gives it a depth of flavour that it needs. When I first started cooking beans (mainly refried beans or black beans by themselves) I found myself dumping tons of salt on them to try to add flavour then I figured out hot sauce like tapatio or tabasco worked better which led to just adding vinegar during the cooking process and suddenly, bam! the beans were tasty as gently caress.

Tried this as well, using Blackeyed Peas instead of Black Beans because I didn't keep track of what I had in the pantry. Turned out very nice. First time using white vinegar in cooking, and first time using Sumac at all. Thank you.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Suspect Bucket posted:

Pulled Pork is probably the most versatile meat in my household. It can be a sandwich, it can be on top of rice, it can be tacos, nachos, and quesadillas, it can be in an omelette, it can be on top of a salad. When Pork Shoulder is on sale, you best hop on that protein train.

I also am a huge baby about eating the same thing in a row. Except for today where I ate Nachos for three meals. Breakfast nachos with eggs, Lunch Nachos from Tijuana Flats, Pulled Pork (and spinach corn tomatillo salsa) Dinner Nachos with leftover chips from TJ's because they give you extra if you ask nice. Cheating, maybe, as TJ's is not cheap eats. But I was treating myself. Anyhoo. NACHOS.

I have tried neither pulled pork nor nachos (as a proper meal at least). I thought they were supposed to be like this :911:

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

PiratePing posted:

I have tried neither pulled pork nor nachos (as a proper meal at least). I thought they were supposed to be like this :911:

There are many tragic things about that video, but none are worse than calling that goop chili. It clearly contains beans.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

PiratePing posted:

I'm speechless after watching that.. and no longer hungry :(

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Dr. Pangloss posted:

There are many tragic things about that video, but none are worse than calling that goop chili. It clearly contains beans.

While I'm showing off my European ignorance: I thought the whole point of chili was beans in a spicy red sauce. We don't really get much of the traditional Mexican stuff I see on the forums here.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

PiratePing posted:

While I'm showing off my European ignorance: I thought the whole point of chili was beans in a spicy red sauce. We don't really get much of the traditional Mexican stuff I see on the forums here.

Chili is not Mexican. Rather, it's Tex-Mex, which is it's own genre of food that despite it's name has very little to do with traditional Mexican cooking.

In any case, traditionally chili is a stew of meat with hot chilies and other spices and nothing else. Beans are a thing added to chili as a filler, and while not out of place re: Tex-Mex cuisine, they tend to denote a "cheapening" of the chili in many people's minds. Hence the vitriol often attached to discussion of the subject.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Isn't the name chili con carne, implying just chili does *not* have meat?

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
No, chili con carne means chili with meat. You may be thinking of Chili cin carne which means chili without meat. Over here in euro land I rarely see a dish simply called chili, without con/cin carne along with it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

silvergoose posted:

Isn't the name chili con carne, implying just chili does *not* have meat?

I don't think so. When someone says "beef taco" that doesn't mean it's a special taco and normal tacos have nothing inside.

e: "The original recipe consisted of dried beef, suet, dried chili peppers and salt, which were pounded together, formed into bricks and left to dry, which could then be boiled in pots on the trail"

I know what I'm making.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I don't think so. When someone says "beef taco" that doesn't mean it's a special taco and normal tacos have nothing inside.

e: "The original recipe consisted of dried beef, suet, dried chili peppers and salt, which were pounded together, formed into bricks and left to dry, which could then be boiled in pots on the trail"

I know what I'm making.

Yeah but if you called it a meat taco that would definitely imply that tacos don't normally have meat.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Chili con carne is the name of the dish. It means that it's composed of chilies and meat. Chili is short for chili con carne .

It's like how Indian dishes are often named for their ingredients, like aloo mattar.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Chili is not Mexican. Rather, it's Tex-Mex, which is it's own genre of food that despite it's name has very little to do with traditional Mexican cooking.

In any case, traditionally chili is a stew of meat with hot chilies and other spices and nothing else. Beans are a thing added to chili as a filler, and while not out of place re: Tex-Mex cuisine, they tend to denote a "cheapening" of the chili in many people's minds. Hence the vitriol often attached to discussion of the subject.

Interesting! I can see this is a Very Serious Issue people have Very Big Feelings about and I will try to avoid mentioning the issue around Americans to avoid stepping on any toes, if not a broken bottle to the face.

I don't think I get the nature of the problem really. Are people mad about people thinking beans are part of the traditional recipe, about people modifying a traditional recipe or just really hardcore into a one-drop rule where the slightest variation means it's a totally different thing? All of those?

Triggered by chilichat I added kidney beans to my shakshuka last night and it was good and I'm not sorry. :ohdear:

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 25, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

PiratePing posted:

Interesting! I can see this is a Very Serious Issue people have Very Big Feelings about and I will try to avoid mentioning the issue around Americans to avoid stepping on any toes, if not a broken bottle to the face.

I don't think I get the nature of the problem really. Are people mad about people thinking beans are part of the traditional recipe, about people modifying a traditional recipe or just really hardcore into a one-drop rule where the slightest variation means it's a totally different thing? All of those?

Triggered by chilichat I added kidney beans to my shakshuka last night and it was good and I'm not sorry. :ohdear:

People have Very Big Feelings about beans in chili.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TheNothingNew posted:

Not just you. Being unemployed for any length of time grinds everyone down right quick.

You were worried before about wasting ingredients. Here's the thing: there is a huge difference between "this didn't turn out right" and "this is inedible." The space between those is where you're going to live for a while, until you get some basics down.

Everyone starts there, and we go back there every time we try a new recipe. All part of learning.

Alright, at least I'm not alone :ohdear:

Anyone have a site where I can check the freshness of ingredients? The hot weather in NYC has encouraged me to have simple cold meals for the last 2-3 days.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010
Chili con carne is a bit like every other leftover dish or signature dish in that everyone has his own recipe, everyone thinks their recipe is superior and will fight to the death to defend the recipe. Asking two people how to prepare carbonade Flamande is guaranteed to start a riot over here.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Excuse me I only eat the purest chili con carne, beating salt and chili peppers into cubes of dried meat and carrying them in a burlap sack

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

There are no beans in chili because when adding them to such would require it to be called by another name.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Wrong thread, and let's not derail this one.
In the chili thread you may be correct. But in this thread I can put habaneros and baked beans on toast, melt some mozzarella on it and call it chili because who the gently caress cares; it's the "poor" thread making do with what you have.

E: My poor version of chilli con carne has ground beef, plus tomato and beans, it's not a competition dish and I wouldn't post it in the proper "chili" thread either, but it's 6 serves for $6

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 25, 2015

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
^^ That is truth

That Works posted:

There are no beans in chili because when adding them to such would require it to be called by another name.

What's in a name? That which we call a chili
By any other name would taste as sweet;
So chili would, were it not chili call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which it owes
Without that title. Chili, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all the beans.

:haw:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

PiratePing posted:

^^ That is truth

What's in a name? That which we call a chili
By any other name would taste as sweet;
So chili would, were it not chili call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which it owes
Without that title. Chili, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all the beans.

:haw:

:golfclap:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There are some bastards who put tomatoes in their 'chili'

:colbert:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
There are some bastards who put arguments in the cheap food thread.

Anyway, for a contribution, lately I've been making super-simple kadhi, which is very refreshing in the summer months. There are quite a few variations, but for the most part, they all follow a theme:

Mix yogurt, water, and chickpea flour; beat until smooth. Temper oil with spices, then add the yogurt-water mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Serve hot.

You can make quite a few variations...personally, I like making it just thick enough that it'll sit on rice without falling through completely but still soak in, and I toss in some pakoras. Do your own thing, though, and be creative with the spices.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The no beans crowd got shouted out of the chili thread so I see they moved here to try again.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

wormil posted:

The no beans crowd got shouted out of the chili thread so I see they moved here to try again.

Beans are super cheap. Stretching a bowl of red by adding beans and serving it over rice (also super cheap) is no problem at all in my book. I even stretch it by adding corn meal to soupy chili and letting it thicken to make it go further.

Food is food, purists can eat a dick when you're just trying to feed yourself and your family,

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wormil posted:

They got shouted out of the EVE thread, too.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

wormil posted:

CommonShore posted:

They got shouted out of the EVE thread, too.

:thejoke:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Food is food, purists can eat a dick when you're just trying to feed yourself and your family,

This, of course. Any other part of the discussion better be for entertainment.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

purists can eat a dick

as long as it isn't cooked with beans, apparently.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

For Christ's sake, I leave for half a week and the chili argument poo poo started again? Chili is some kind of meat/non-meat with or without your choice of veggies, in a spicy or non-spicy sauce. Shut the gently caress up and eat cheaply. The only thing I'll agree with here is that this:

PiratePing posted:

This is not chili, but not because it contains beans. Now can we kindly shut the gently caress up about chili for a bit? Every time this argument rears its retarded head and derps another horrible retarded derp it makes me sad and puts me off of chili for another month.

Now, for actual content related stuff, has anyone posted anything recently about beer can chicken? Talk about loving tasty right here! It's so god drat simple, to. For those of you who don't feel like clicking a link, you buy a whole chicken(~$5), a can of your favorite cheap-rear end beer(~$1-2), and make some bbq spice rub(effectively free). Because why wouldn't you have your own bbq spice rub?
  • Take your chicken, remove any giblets, and pat dry.
  • Work a finger under the skin where able, and shove some dry rub under there and coat the chicken.
  • Drizzle some oil of your choice on the skin, rub to coat evenly, and then pat some dry rub all over the skin.
  • Protip: put some brown suger in the dry rub to ensure some good caramelization and crispy brown skin when it's done.
  • Next, take your beer, drink half of it, and pour about a tablespoon of the dry rub into the can. Gently swirl to mix.
  • Now, stand the chicken up on its legs and carefully pick it up and set it on the beer can. Use its legs and the can to basically make a tripod out of this thing to keep it stable.
  • use some string to tie the wing tips behind the chicken's back like a virgin sacrificeso everything cooks properly.
  • Congratulations, prep work is complete.
  • Start your grill/oven. Grill is preferred, especially charcoal, since you get that lovely smokey taste along with it. The oven will do in a pinch though, but if you're using that, put a drip tray made of foil under it or you'll start your house on fire.
  • If applicable, place chicken so the breast is facing away from the heat source.
  • Cook at around 400-450F until the thigh registers around 165F, which for me takes about an hour.
  • Take it out of the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes and you're done!

The great thing about doing this on the grill is you can grill veggies at the same time if you know the timings. What I like to do is grill corn on the cob. To do that, simply shuck the corn, rub with oil, coat in salt/pepper/whatever seasonings, wrap in foil, and place on the grill next to the chicken for 30-45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes. Take the corn off the grill, after it's done, but leave wrapped until the chicken's ready to serve so it stays hot.

Congratulations, I just gave you dinner for 4 for the night. Total cost should be roughly... let's see...
  • chicken - $5
  • 6 pack beer(1 for cooking, 5 for drinking) - ~$6-$7
  • spice rub - $0 if you're anything near well stocked on spices
  • 4 ears of corn - $1-$1.50
  • salt/pepper/oil - $0 again, basic pantry staples here

Total: ~$13

Of course, bring the cost down to ~$8 by buying 1 can of beer if you can, and save the bones/uneaten skin for stock later. Carcasses that have been flavored with bbq seasonings make amazing stocks.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
For added value, you can just drink the entire beer. Or not buy a beer at all. None of that flavor or liquid actually makes it into the meat. Anything that holds the bird upright and can survive the heat of the grill will work.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tendales posted:

For added value, you can just drink the entire beer. Or not buy a beer at all. None of that flavor or liquid actually makes it into the meat. Anything that holds the bird upright and can survive the heat of the grill will work.

Almost entirely true. While the beer is 99.5% there to boil and help give some moisture to the meat, I could swear I can taste the difference between beer brands and adding a ton/barely any bbq rub into it prior to cooking. Of course, that really only applies to the breast meat, so whatever. The idea behind using beer specifically is that presumably, you buy a 6 pack and drink that while you're waiting for the chicken to cook, but you could totally use an old soda can and fill it with water if you really wanted to save a bit of cash instead of get drunk.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Naw, steam doesn't add moisture to meat, and you're not actually going to get a lot of steam anyway. The can's insulated by the bird, and you're cooking the bird to 160-165F. That's not boiling. Like, test it out next time. When you pull the bird out, immediately check the temperature of the liquid in the can. It probably won't even have gotten to the boiling point of alcohol, let alone water.

Literally the only good the can does is hold the bird up. You could fill it with water, with dried beans, or with nothing if it's a strong enough can.

Roasting the bird vertically IS a good way to cook it, though, especially if you're a fan of crisp skin. It just doesn't matter what you cram up the bird's rear end to do it.

edit: To try and add some helpfulness to my nitpickery, here's a hint: If your bird impalement solution is up to the task, roast the bird upside down. That is, wings down, rear end up in the air, your beer can or bundt pan or whatever crammed into the neckhole. See, when the cover is on, it's actually hotter near the lid of the grill than down at the grill surface. The thighs want to be cooked to a slightly higher temp than the breast meat does. So this way you can get the dark meat where you need it before the white meat overcooks. As a bonus, you get the tasty drippings running down over the breast meat, which needs all the flavor assistance it can get.

Tendales fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 27, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Tendales posted:

Naw, steam doesn't add moisture to meat, and you're not actually going to get a lot of steam anyway. The can's insulated by the bird, and you're cooking the bird to 160-165F. That's not boiling. Like, test it out next time. When you pull the bird out, immediately check the temperature of the liquid in the can. It probably won't even have gotten to the boiling point of alcohol, let alone water.

Literally the only good the can does is hold the bird up. You could fill it with water, with dried beans, or with nothing if it's a strong enough can.

Roasting the bird vertically IS a good way to cook it, though, especially if you're a fan of crisp skin. It just doesn't matter what you cram up the bird's rear end to do it.

Might be time to start eating meat again :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Spatchcock forever and whenever it comes to poultry.