Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

How do I set this thing to not vibrate at 2 AM when I get a work email without turning off Outlook notifications entirely? I have a Moto X running Lollipop if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Rosalind posted:

How do I set this thing to not vibrate at 2 AM when I get a work email without turning off Outlook notifications entirely? I have a Moto X running Lollipop if that matters.
I set up my phone to disable Bluetooth from 10pm to 6am every night using Sony's Smart Connect app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware

You could use Tasker or whatever you wanted, the idea is to set up a scheduled task to nuke Bluetooth so your watch doesn't buzz at night. My last phone was an Xperia which is how I found out about Connect. It was way easier for me to use so I stuck with it when I changed phones.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Rosalind posted:

I haven't got the Time yet (waiting on the Steel version), but on the B&W Pebble there's a "Do Not Disturb" option in Menu -> Settings ->Notifications. Don't tell me they've removed that functionality...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Froist posted:

I haven't got the Time yet (waiting on the Steel version), but on the B&W Pebble there's a "Do Not Disturb" option in Menu -> Settings ->Notifications. Don't tell me they've removed that functionality...
Are you kidding me? :doh: How long has that been there?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Froist posted:

Oh no it's there. Just had no idea it existed or even how to find it. Thank you.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
DND is a godsend, these watches have the loudest vibrate motor I've ever heard. Especially with a metal link band.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

My replacement seems underpowered, unless it gets several in a row. Then they slowly ramp up in strength for some reason with each buzz.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

SpelledBackwards posted:

drat, my replacement Pebble classic also has screen garbling issues like my original. Looks like I'm contacting customer service again.

Really? drat. I finally opened a ticket about my Kickstarted classic with that issue. I was hoping they fixed that poo poo like a year ago. I guess we'll see if I even get a replacement for mine since it's so old.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

DND is a godsend, these watches have the loudest vibrate motor I've ever heard. Especially with a metal link band.

I must be the only one who takes mine off at night. In fact I often do when I get home from work just cause the band bothers me while sitting at the keyboard. Not even that, often times I don't even feel it when its on my wrist and vibrating.

I had a very slight yellow tint on the bottom of my Steel's screen, only visible sometimes and only then on white backgrounds. They sent a brand new replacement and dont require me to send the old one back, so I've decided to just live with what I have and flip the new one. Anyone want a deal? SA Mart

codo27 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 26, 2015

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

codo27 posted:

I must be the only one who takes mine off at night. In fact I often do when I get home from work just cause the band bothers me while sitting at the keyboard. Not even that, often times I don't even feel it when its on my wrist and vibrating.

I take mine off every night, but the DND function was activated when I'd get a text or something in the middle of the night and the buzzing would wake me up from across the room.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what's the good GPS app for this thing? Relaying the route to my wrist and all that, without having to glance at my cellphone.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

I must be the only one who takes mine off at night.

I take mine off and turn it off every night. For me it's an essential habit, since the only reason someone would call me in the night is to wake me for an emergency, and my phone is silenced while my pebble is connected. (Sucks that it requires an extra app to handle the auto-silencing but nbd, it's worked really well.)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Should handle google maps notifications, that's what mine does

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 27, 2015

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The vibration from the alarm clock drains the battery like a twink draining a dads cock. 20% battery spent after 4 minutes of vibes

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The up button on my Pebble Time crapped out already, it either thinks it's always pressed or refuses to work :smith:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Depths posted:

The vibration from the alarm clock drains the battery like a twink draining a dads cock. 20% battery spent after 4 minutes of vibes

If you had it on, it took you four minutes for it to wake you long enough to snooze or dismiss?

If you didn't have it on, why did you have an alarm set?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I sure as poo poo can't sleep through the rumble and I could sleep through a loving train crash, typically.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
My roommate has made a Majoras Mask watch face. He doesn't have his Pebble yet so if any of you try it, any sort of feedback would be appreciated!

http://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/application/558758d949c1d1c2f9000066

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Nice surprise for those of us who didn't back the Pebble Time, the release date from Best Buy has moved up to next week.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

PirateDentist posted:

Really? drat. I finally opened a ticket about my Kickstarted classic with that issue. I was hoping they fixed that poo poo like a year ago. I guess we'll see if I even get a replacement for mine since it's so old.

Quotin' myself since Pebble just processed the RMA and I have a new one headed my way. :) Solid customer service so far.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's nice being able to theme your watch with ease to fit the occasion.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Had my Pebble Time since Monday, and I must say I'm loving it.

Had the Moto 360 for 4 days before returning it to Best Buy, a day of battery life just wasn't cutting it.

The voice replies and being able to use NavMe for google navigation were the big sellers for me, and not having to even think about the battery has been amazing.

10/10 would buy again.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
What conditions need to be met for the Pebble app to push app updates to the watch? Misfit 3.0 is out and I don't want to lose data by manually upgrading.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

I got my new warranty Pebble in and it's amazing how different it is from the KS edition. The buttons aren't mushy and they have a nice click to them, the BT connection seems much quicker to repair and less likely to drop off. (This is on the same software version as well) And of course the screen actually works now.

I noticed the back now has torx screws holding it on. I wonder if it's possible to open it up without totally destroying it now. Not that I'm going too, but if I ever want to attempt a repair when there's no warranty.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I noticed with my Kickstarter Edition and with my replacement device that the Pebble loses connection really easily when I'm sitting in my hot tub fewer than five feet away from my phone. Anyone else have connection problems when it's in water? I can put my phone in the middle of my house and still maintain a Bluetooth connection throughout every room, but I'm not sure why it being submerged in the water just kills its performance. I never see any problems with it while I'm in the shower.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

SpelledBackwards posted:

I noticed with my Kickstarter Edition and with my replacement device that the Pebble loses connection really easily when I'm sitting in my hot tub fewer than five feet away from my phone. Anyone else have connection problems when it's in water? I can put my phone in the middle of my house and still maintain a Bluetooth connection throughout every room, but I'm not sure why it being submerged in the water just kills its performance. I never see any problems with it while I'm in the shower.

Water does a hell of a job blocking 2.4Ghz.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
How I'd the black time compared to the old steel. Best buy near me already has an open box for $154

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I too would be interested in that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Got the openbox pebble time black for $140. So far so good. Its more comfortable than the OG steel for sure and the rubber strap is pretty nice. Said "scratches" on the label but none to be found.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kazy posted:

Water does a hell of a job blocking 2.4Ghz.

Such a good job that is the frequency your microwave oven runs on.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
NavMe is awesome and got me from Michigan to Kentucky without pulling my phone out of my pocket. 6d or so free trial as well.

Not sure I'll pay for it, but it was nice having it for the road trip.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Google maps just pushes notifications why not just use that?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there such a thing as quick release nato straps? If so, where could I get them? I can't see myself trying to replace the band with a regular nato strap because I'm clumsy as all hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGko_0iG-jwWhoa ok I need something like this.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 25, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Such a good job that is the frequency your microwave oven runs on.

:downs: dunno how I didn't make that connection, thanks.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Saw the Pebble Time in person at a Best Buy - many of the reviews seem like they were a little harsh, seeing as (to me) it looks and feels better than the Pebble Steel. Really happy with how thin it is, and the footprint. Might have to pick one up.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Google maps just pushes notifications why not just use that?

How? I've never had one come through on my watch.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 25, 2015

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

My #1 complaint is the screen. It's just not as visible as the original Pebble was. But otherwise, the design and weight are better, and the software is way better, too.

But once they port the new OS to the original Pebbles, there's not much reason to buy a Time unless you want a (washed out) color screen.

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!
The bezel is somewhat susceptible to blemishing, and I wish the Pebble Time had a front-lighting setup like the Kindle Paperwhite, and that the Paperwhite had the color palette of the Time.

On the plus, Slides of Time is a nicely customizable watchface:

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I backed the Flyshark smartwatch on Kickstarer as a low-cost alternative to the Pebble. While I like the hardware (1.54-inch, 240 x 240 pixel touchscreen, a heart rate monitor, a 2-megapixel camera, and a MediaTek 260MHz processor) the OS is kind of hot garbage. I've been curious to see if the Pebble OS is something I can drop onto the Flyshark so it's a bit easier to manage and has more software support. The current state of affairs with the thing is frustrating as hell.

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread to be looking for advice or if I'm just stuck with the thing as it is. :smith:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I backed the Flyshark smartwatch on Kickstarer as a low-cost alternative to the Pebble. While I like the hardware (1.54-inch, 240 x 240 pixel touchscreen, a heart rate monitor, a 2-megapixel camera, and a MediaTek 260MHz processor) the OS is kind of hot garbage. I've been curious to see if the Pebble OS is something I can drop onto the Flyshark so it's a bit easier to manage and has more software support. The current state of affairs with the thing is frustrating as hell.

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread to be looking for advice or if I'm just stuck with the thing as it is. :smith:

Nope, doesn't work like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
You're in for a rough time in trying to get that to work.

• Locked thread