Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
remember: the last cycle of republican primary debates included the audience cheering when someone pointed out that a particular health care policy would leave poor people with medical problems with no option but to die in the streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Waroduce posted:

Not really sure where to ask, but

Can anyone please recommend some good books about Microsoft, Silicon Valley or the first (or current) tech bubble? I dont mean like a Bill Gates or Stebe biography, although I may read a Bill one, but like a history about their business or how they built their empires.

I was recommended Opening The Xbox for example as a cool look into designing the og xbox
re: silicon valley, fire in the valley is what you're looking for. "pirates of SV" is pseudohistorical trash

please understand that "silicon valley" as it's lately understood in the world at large bears little resemblance to the situation on the ground here, i mean yeah there's a certain rush the first time you drive by apple HQ and think "oh look there's history" but that goes away

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 26, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FMguru posted:

remember: the last cycle of republican primary debates included the audience cheering when someone pointed out that a particular health care policy would leave poor people with medical problems with no option but to die in the streets

lol i forgot about this

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

one of the candidates at least looked a bit disgusted, right? ron paul?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
actually maybe i'm thinking of the mccain "my opponent is a good man" thing.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

computer parts posted:

the craziness will be having 10 people on stage at once

and then a supplemental debate afterwards for the people that couldn't make the cut

there are like 16 loving candidates, the 6 who dont make the first cut won't make the second debate either, then the culling of the weakest will begin as the 3rd debate will have fewer (but as of yet unannounced) candidates.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i mean the writing is on the wall we get jeb

unless anything spectacular comes out our next prez is jeb i've said it and i stand by it for now, not because i endorse him, but it's just who's going to be our next president

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
better jeb than hillary

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

why not ron paul again

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

o
b
a
m
a

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

why do investment automated iPhone apps exist

why would anyone trust thousands of dollars to a computerized fund manager on their phone

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm starting to like rubio's chances

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Virion posted:

all i see is

Paul
Walker

:smith:

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

also there was that other debate where a soldier asked a question via video about gay rights because the soldier was gay and the audience booed the soldier for being gay.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fermun posted:

there are like 16 loving candidates, the 6 who dont make the first cut won't make the second debate either, then the culling of the weakest will begin as the 3rd debate will have fewer (but as of yet unannounced) candidates.

i legitimately don't know if that's true since loving rubio is polling at 6% now (granted, only in a particular state) and he's one of the potential moderates

Sniep posted:

i mean the writing is on the wall we get jeb

unless anything spectacular comes out our next prez is jeb i've said it and i stand by it for now, not because i endorse him, but it's just who's going to be our next president

Jeb probably has the best odds for the nomination but not by a lot

he's been doing pretty terribly against hillary (who will win her nomination) though

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

bernie sanders?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
bernie!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Waroduce posted:

Can anyone please recommend some good books about Microsoft, Silicon Valley or the first (or current) tech bubble? I dont mean like a Bill Gates or Stebe biography, although I may read a Bill one, but like a history about their business or how they built their empires.

as others have recommended, "Fire in the Valley"

also "Hackers" by Levy, it covers not just Silicon Valley but also previous tech generations

and folklore.org about the development of the Mac from the late 1970s through release is also really great (Levy also has a book, "Insanely Great," but folklore.org is from the people who were there)

"Inventing the Lisa User Interface" is quite good (it's just an article too), a 15-20-years-later retrospective from two of the main developers

"Atari: Business is Fun" goes deep into the history of Atari, one of the major SV players in the early days.

"Dealers of Lightning" is about Xerox PARC back in the day

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
jeb could get the nomination if no one else distinguishes himself between now and the election (unlikely), but he has no chance of beating hillary. absolutely no chance whatsoever

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Atari was the Google of its day

core product that everyone loved but they were really, really, really bad at making anything else

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

bill shockley was a dick

One of SV's founders, ladies and gents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shockley

literally the plot for idiocracy lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FMguru posted:

i am so excited that rick perry is running again and is back with his smart glasses, it's gonna be great entertainment:

here's a good rundown of how he sleeps well at night in spite of executing innocent people and how his plan for the droubt and wildfires in 2011 was to pray for rain and other great rick perrry classics:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2015-06-23/perrys-top-10-worst-hits/

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

kdrudy posted:

There are so many eugenics creeps in American history that we don't like to discuss.

here's a good one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Popenoe

this guy was a crazy eugenicist who, after that went out of style with the holocaust, started the modern practice of marriage counseling and wrote a popular column in ladies home journal

he basically invented marriage counseling to encourage certain people not to breed and wrote in ladies home journal mostly about how the woman should knuckle down and deal with being beaten and poo poo to save the marriage if they were going to produce superior offspring

sooooooo

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

computer parts posted:

rubio (...) he's one of the potential moderates

lol yospos politics

like any other republican they're a moderate as long as they're just smiling and looking at a camera. let them talk for more then five minutes however...

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
writing is on the wall the money is behind hillary. she's already won

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

President Paul is going to move the world into a bold new post-American era and everyone will be better for it!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hillary's campaign logo is appropriate imo

"yup let's just keep on shifting further to the right"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

well France just completely banned uber and ordered the Paris police to crack down on uber using all available legal means, including seizing any cars caught driving for them. they also hinted that a court could order a ban or that mobile carriers block traffic for the app.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shifty Pony posted:

well France just completely banned uber and ordered the Paris police to crack down on uber using all available legal means, including seizing any cars caught driving for them. they also hinted that a court could order a ban or that mobile carriers block traffic for the app.

:q:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shifty Pony posted:

france owns

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

:france::hf::bernget:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

lmao this owns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

cool. fascism owns.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

cool. fascism owns.

oh shaggar

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Shaggar posted:

cool. fascism owns.

baw

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

fascism owns.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

blocking traffic to an app is just so...:eurovision:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

forgot about that :sigh:

Shifty Pony posted:

one of the geniuses i know compared this to apple fans rioting upon microsoft users and couldnt fathom just why it was happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
the reddit thread on the protests is just terrible. at the very least, people don't seem to remember that destroying cars is just gonna happen in paris. the fact that people are pissed at uber is a happy coincidence.

• Locked thread