Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Call it the Ness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
nintendo entertainment super system

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Nintendo's Incredible Computation Extravaganza.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Junpei Hyde posted:

The Nintendo ice would be an awesome
name. And shortened to nice is the cherry on top

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
In case you were worried about Yoshi's Woolly World being too easy - don't. The special levels you unlock by collecting all the flowers in each world (which by itself is fairly tough) are vicious.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I always thought Reggie should probably do a pop in on AGDQ or SGDQ, matching at least whatever notch donates would be like nothing to them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think Reggie should stay well away from any event that involves people being marginally competent at games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dunban posted:

In case you were worried about Yoshi's Woolly World being too easy - don't. The special levels you unlock by collecting all the flowers in each world (which by itself is fairly tough) are vicious.

So you don't need to collect all the other little stuff, just collect all flowers? I may pick this game up day one then.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Ineffiable posted:

So you don't need to collect all the other little stuff, just collect all flowers? I may pick this game up day one then.

Yeah, the game does track the other stuff too (completing a level at full health, 5 wonder wools, 20 Miiverse stamp beads) but you only need the flowers to unlock the special levels.

Although I guess it's possible that 100%ing every single level in the game unlocks something as well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think Reggie should stay well away from any event that involves people being marginally competent at games.

He should go for the world record on Die Hard.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dunban posted:

Yeah, the game does track the other stuff too (completing a level at full health, 5 wonder wools, 20 Miiverse stamp beads) but you only need the flowers to unlock the special levels.

Although I guess it's possible that 100%ing every single level in the game unlocks something as well.

If it's anything Yoshi's Island it won't unlock poo poo :reject:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hakkesshu posted:

If it's anything Yoshi's Island it won't unlock poo poo :reject:

However if it's anything like most recent Nintendo platformers, it has a loving Champion's Road.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish they had put a modified version of Champion Road in Captain Toad with lots of helpful ramps and ladders

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
Crap I've been focusing on collecting the wool, 5 of them on each level unlock a new Yoshi skin.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly, the biggest criticism I have with Woolly World so far is that the mini-bosses have just been the same two repeating but with minor variations (It's a Big Monty Mole...ON ICE!). That said, this game has been really good with using new level gimmicks each time, so it avoids a lot of the problems of the other Yoshi's Island sequels.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo loves using the same miniboss over and over in Mario games.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Junpei Hyde posted:

Me likey

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Every 2D Mario game has bad bosses, come to think of it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Except for, you know, Yoshi's Island, which has awesome bosses.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Except for, you know, Yoshi's Island, which has awesome bosses.

OH, MY!!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
playing smw the koopalings were a lot easier than in NSMBwii. that really surprised me. i died so many times thanks to kamek doing that magical stuff and making them a dire version. going up against morton the first time and all he did was drop a bit made me more relaxed

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't say they're bad or unfun, just lazy. Besides, the end of world bosses are actual good.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think they had the right idea with the final bosses of 3D Land/World. It makes a lot more sense that a boss fight in a Mario game should basically be an obstacle course instead of hitting an extremely easy boss 3 times

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I dunno why the Mario series is so bad at delivering good boss fights. They're always either really boring or super easy (or both)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Went onto Youtube and typed in Art Academy by upload date and oh man so many tomatoes. Who's going for it?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

majormonotone posted:

I dunno why the Mario series is so bad at delivering good boss fights. They're always either really boring or super easy (or both)

Larry in NSMBU was pretty not-easy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah Yoshi's Woolly World is cool, it's a straight sequel to Yoshi's Island, and it feels way better than the other attempts. One complaint is that sadly like most of Nintendo's other modern 2D platformers the music is complete dogshit. The cave theme is pretty chill though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

majormonotone posted:

The final boss stages in 3D Land and 3D World are great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Mario 3 Bowser was epic when you were a kid and figured out what to do.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

raditts posted:

The final boss stages in 3D Land and 3D World are great.

They are the exception that prove the rule.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neo Rasa posted:

Pummel his face with fireballs until he dies! :haw:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Neo Rasa posted:

Any of those bosses were hard as hell as a kid.

The SMB3 bosses are easy now playing them again for the hundredth time, but I remember fighting each Koopa Kid not knowing what to expect for the first and getting killed by stuff like Wendy Koopa unexpectedly throwing rings at me.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Szmitten posted:

Went onto Youtube and typed in Art Academy by upload date and oh man so many tomatoes. Who's going for it?

I am, absolutely.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Szmitten posted:

I bit on it. Reviews I read seemed pretty good.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Will it really help you learn how to draw? Or is it more of a fun art-creation-tool thingy?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Monkey Fracas posted:

Will it really help you learn how to draw? Or is it more of a fun art-creation-tool thingy?

The principles it covers in the lessons are legit, but you'd have to practice them with the real tools to be of any use. You also get the benefits of any other digital art programs like opacity and layers and of course the undo button. But it's as functional as a lot of digital art programs, so the lessons are useful from that perspective.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Oh neat. I was actually interested in taking an art class, but the idea of sharing a classroom with art students for a semester put me off the idea. I'd definitely take the class if this game makes me at the very least competent at art. Does it have a sort of ranking system so it'll call you out for being terrible?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Wii sports club question - in boxing the character flops to the side a lot and swings are inaccurate. Baseball the bat is at an odd angle if i hold the wiimote like a baseball bat. Golf I can't hit the loving ball for the life of me. I did it once on accident.

I'm using 2 old wiimotes with the motion plus dongle. Is that not equivalent to the wii-mote plus? Or is Wii sports club just special like that.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
A Wiimote Plus is just a Wiimote with the motion plus built in and it uses the same technology. The little add-on thing you plug into your Wiimote may just be acting up or something, but I don't think those minigames use the Wii Motion Plus. Have you tried cleaning the sensor or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Theta Zero posted:

Oh neat. I was actually interested in taking an art class, but the idea of sharing a classroom with art students for a semester put me off the idea. I'd definitely take the class if this game makes me at the very least competent at art. Does it have a sort of ranking system so it'll call you out for being terrible?

If it follows the way the others in the series go, it doesn't evaluate your art at all, but it will pair you up with a partner character who will make all kinds of mistakes and point out what he did wrong, which is useful to see.

• Locked thread