Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Didnt they discourage using patreon for a while?

Yeah, at least advertising it on their videos. From what I could tell it was because Mike and Rob had no idea what it was even about even when people tried to explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because you guys got me talking about Extra Credits and the Escapist, I decided to see what their forums were up to. One thread was a weaboo complaining that western animation studios get bigger budgets to work with and how unfair it is that anime does stuff cheaper but still looks just as good and would look better with western budgets. The big thing I noticed however was that they have a new forum called the Games Industry Forum.

It's all Gamergate threads and psycho watchdogs jumping at everything they don't agree with. That shithead site owner has his little playground all set up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because you guys got me talking about Extra Credits and the Escapist, I decided to see what their forums were up to. One thread was a weaboo complaining that western animation studios get bigger budgets to work with and how unfair it is that anime does stuff cheaper but still looks just as good and would look better with western budgets. The big thing I noticed however was that they have a new forum called the Games Industry Forum.

It's all Gamergate threads and psycho watchdogs jumping at everything they don't agree with. That shithead site owner has his little playground all set up.

"Is there a compilation of crimes Gamergate allegedly committed? Provide Sources Edition."
"So about that '50% of gamers are female' statistic..."
"Why can't SJWs just mod out the "offensive" content?"

Nuke the internet.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Speaking of the Escapist, does anyone follow Shamus Young? I've been reading some of the stuff he's written on his blog, and he seems okay. Honestly, I'm surprised that he's still on the Escapist, considering how many other people have left.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because you guys got me talking about Extra Credits and the Escapist, I decided to see what their forums were up to. One thread was a weaboo complaining that western animation studios get bigger budgets to work with and how unfair it is that anime does stuff cheaper but still looks just as good and would look better with western budgets.

Man, look at that guy. Everyone knows the tricks they use to get away with their tiny budget is half the charm of old anime. The japanese sure do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Zs4P3mDXs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, look at that guy. Everyone knows the tricks they use to get away with their tiny budget is half the charm of old anime. The japanese sure do:

It's certainly why G Gundam is so awesome. Dude had a tiny budget to work with and he cut corners everywhere but drat, he made it work.

Seriously though, those type of threads always amuse me, because as time goes on the Weaboo begins to lose his argument and resorts to moving the goalposts so he can attempt to justify the thread as not being just another reason to slag off anything other than his precious animes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 25, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of the Escapist, does anyone follow Shamus Young? I've been reading some of the stuff he's written on his blog, and he seems okay. Honestly, I'm surprised that he's still on the Escapist, considering how many other people have left.

Shamus is cool, and I think part of the reason he seems cool is he's smart enough to keep his opinions about pretty much anything other than video games off the internet. His buddies he does Spoiler Warning with seem cool too. (Granted one of them is Chris, the guy Errant Signal, so we knew he was cool).

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's pretty funny considering some anime studios are known for being terrible workshops. So yeah, it's cheap, but at the cost of unreasonably exhausting their manpower.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The last part of the Cinema Snob's epic is posted: http://www.thecinemasnob.com/the-cinema-snob/heavens-gate-part-3

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Compendium posted:

That's pretty funny considering some anime studios are known for being terrible workshops. So yeah, it's cheap, but at the cost of unreasonably exhausting their manpower.

Plus they're not exactly known for having a union that helps those who work on anime have a steady wage.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Heaven's Gate: Do you think a woman can't love two men?
Snob: Whoa, do we have to talk about that here? They should save that conversation for when they go to Indiana Comic-Con.
:drat:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Beefstew posted:

Snob: Whoa, do we have to talk about that here? They should save that conversation for when they go to Indiana Comic-Con.

that is a good burn, So I guess most people know about the true fate of angry jake that he can joke about it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Cyron posted:

that is a good burn, So I guess most people know about the true fate of angry jake that he can joke about it.

Wait, that's what happened?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

StealthArcher posted:

Wait, that's what happened?

Full story is here Brad confirms it's true in the same thread

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Rapidly Going Deaf › Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: 0 Days Since The Last Drama Bomb

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish to be cucked, by an anime for adults~.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jsor posted:

Jeeeesus gently caress.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Beefstew posted:

:vince:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

To be fair, when anime gets an unlimited budget, the results can be super rad. Watch Rage of Bahamut, you guys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

To be fair, when anime gets an unlimited budget, the results can be super rad. Watch Rage of Bahamut, you guys.

Don't forget Redline :allears:.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

quakster posted:

I wish to be cucked, by an anime for adults~.

Leave your sick fantasies out of here, you pervert

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget Redline :allears:.

Redline is the best case of "gently caress the budget, gently caress time constraints, let's make something cool regardless of how long is takes."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jsor posted:

Oh no

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Beefstew posted:

This needed to happen several pages ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

I think I've crossed the event horizon into madness, because at this point I find the trailer legitimately, non-ironically hilarious.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So that's what, the 3rd person from Team Snob that was dropped for being hosed up?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kunster posted:

So that's what, the 3rd person from Team Snob that was dropped for being hosed up?

It's only the second, isn't it?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I kind of consider Josh to be part given how much he contributed in terms of material and contacts. Given him not being around in Snob-centric casts, I kinda consider him to be the second one that left.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kunster posted:

I kind of consider Josh to be part given how much he contributed in terms of material and contacts. Given him not being around in Snob-centric casts, I kinda consider him to be the second one that left.

I meant Josh and Jake. Who was the other?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jerred! The bald guy from earlier on that even had his series. Dude sort of used Brad's con visits to sexually prey on fans at room parties.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Not saying this as a judgement at all, but from some comments I've heard Brad make about his earlier years, it's not really surprising that he'd attract a number of hosed up people.

Being an independent writer/director, he's a natural magnet for people with creative inclinations, like how a skilled DM often becomes the focal point in a community of nerds. Remember that he got his start as a filmmaker, not an internet critic. And his interests, specifically exploitation films, put him in a social circle that often attracts people with... problems... and he's talked about how small his community is in Springfield, making it harder for problem people to be ostracized from the group.

Basically what I'm saying is go watch Cheap and you'll never be surprised again that people around Brad Jones often turn out to be hosed up.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Also Brad seems super nice and good at getting along with people.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Also Brad seems super nice and good at getting along with people.

Yeah, that's part of what makes him a natural director.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jake is responsible for some of the best poo poo CS productions put out and it's a shame to find out he's apparently nuts.

Also yes Brad comes off as super nice and forgiving of certain character flaws, see also how long after everyone else he stuck with Spoony.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodyle posted:

Jake is responsible for some of the best poo poo CS productions put out and it's a shame to find out he's apparently nuts.

Also yes Brad comes off as super nice and forgiving of certain character flaws, see also how long after everyone else he stuck with Spoony.

He will stick with someone unless they are total gently caress ups. It shocking that jake is more poo poo then spoony.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Brad seems like a cool dude, and one of the few remaining decent TGWTG-affiliated critics, which makes it all the more baffling that there's an anti-Cinema Snob blog out there.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Equeen posted:

Brad seems like a cool dude, and one of the few remaining decent TGWTG-affiliated critics, which makes it all the more baffling that there's an anti-Cinema Snob blog out there.

Everyone out there has a hate blog dedicated to them.

The funniest example I found was an Angry Video Game Nerd hate blog where the guy doing it pretty much abandoned his mission statement to participate in gamergate two weeks in.

EDIT: Wait I was confused, it wasn't AVGN it was Yahtzee and here it is http://yahtzeecrowshawsucks.blogspot.com

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 26, 2015

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Everyone out there has a hate blog dedicated to them.

The funniest example I found was an Angry Video Game Nerd hate blog where the guy doing it pretty much abandoned his mission statement to participate in gamergate two weeks in.

EDIT: Wait I was confused, it wasn't AVGN it was Yahtzee and here it is http://yahtzeecrowshawsucks.blogspot.com

There's a blog out there that used to be a hate blog for the person who ran the Irate Gamer Sucks Blog.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Who hate blogs the hate bloggers?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mraagvpeine posted:

Who hate blogs the hate bloggers?

Where does this thread fit in the hate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, criticism itself is done for the sake of pushing agendas and constructing narratives. This thread, however, is supposed to focus on casual chat about criticism done for shits and giggles, therefore being very low on the hate. fart

• Locked thread