Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
These unreasonable NPCS! I'm trying to save the world here, what are you doing sending me on stupid mission like stealing turtle eggs to prove my worth. I kicked Ifrit's butt all the way to the moon and back what have you done! Ok maybe you possibly beat Titan a little bit with a group of mercenaries but I kicked Ifrit's butt all alone (with the help of 3 random individuals from party finder.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Spoz posted:

re: hunts

you what meight

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
u r mr. gay

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Protip: If you just want to casually level to 60 by doing all available quests/exploration log entries/first time duties/challenge log with your chocobo out to speed things, you will still need to do 2 days worth of LLDR+HLDR+MSDR+TR to hit 60. You *will* run out of content with a 1/5 of a bar to level 58, and again at 1/2 a bar to 59... and that's with rested experience the entire way.

Also, if you decide to save sidequests for a second job, you're going to need to diligently do FATEs/roulettes/hunts/repeat high level dungeons the entire way to hit 60 without having to grind The Vault over and over to hit 58/59/60.

Poor design on their part for having sidequests only worth 1/2 of MSQ XP and temple leves only worth 1/4 the XP of a MSQ at higher levels, but this happened a couple of times from 45-50 back in 2.0 as well, so par for the course?

Varance fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 26, 2015

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Varance posted:

Protip: If you just want to casually level to 60 by doing all available quests/exploration log entries/first time duties/challenge log with your chocobo out to speed things, you will still need to do 2 days worth of LLDR+HLDR+MSDR+TR to hit 60. You *will* run out of content with a 1/5 of a bar to level 58, and again at 1/2 a bar to 59... and that's with rested experience the entire way.

Also, if you decide to save sidequests for a second job, you're going to need to diligently do FATEs and roulettes the entire way to hit 60 without having to grind to hit 58/59/60.

Poor design on their part for having sidequests only worth 1/2 of MSQ XP and temple leves only worth 1/4 the XP of a MSQ at higher levels, but this happened a couple of times from 45-50 back in 2.0 as well, so par for the course?

The only time I had to run dungeons for exp was at 59, doing the library a few times. Probably could have done it less, since I had a few side quests left in the final area.

I did do all the pre-60 HW dungeons at least once though.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Weissritter posted:

The only time I had to run dungeons for exp was at 59, doing the library a few times. Probably could have done it less, since I had a few side quests left in the final area.

I had my chocobo out the entire time, didn't roulette at all and didn't repeat any duties beyond what was needed for MSQ progression, which is probably why.

Edit: Also avoided FATEs. This was a mistake.

Varance fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 26, 2015

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Varance posted:

I had my chocobo out the entire way, didn't roulette at all and didn't repeat any duties beyond what was needed for MSQ progression, which is probably why.

I did have my chocobo out. Maybe I did a bit more FATEs?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Can't decide between dragoon or monk...I enjoy both. Choices...

It just takes so long to level stuff right now so alt-itis is killing me. Ugh

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've been taking the time to do High Level, Trial and Main Quest roulettes to finish off my Zeta and finishing up the last few beast tribe quests as well as spending time getting DRK to the 50s, so I hopefully won't have too big a wall by the time I hit the later main quests.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Post the Rammus one please.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
So I'm doing the main quest line introduced since I quit. gently caress me if there isn't a lot of pointless travelling and pissy set-pieces leading up to 8 man trials.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Minrad posted:

A friend wants to see that cringey fairy macro picture, does someone have it

Hello

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

I hate people who play video games.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Counterpoint, I just had a dance off with drunk pirates.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, right now on Balmung and apparently for the last 2 days there's been a female Hyur who stands in front of the exit to the Vault and drops a bunch of emotes on anyone who leaves the instance, trades them a tea, then drops a bunch more emotes. This person is either crazy, as they have been online non-stop the entire time outside of maintenance doing this, or running a really bizarre script.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I've done a decent amount of side questing and I'm hitting walls at almost every wall in the MSQ, currently working on the lvl 56-57 wall. The only bonus to the lvl 57 wall is that I can grind out Aery for that sweet tank set (the sword/shield combo is one of my favorite designs in the game so far). I left a decent amount of side quests in the lower zones I guess I could go back to, maybe I'll do that between spamming Aery.

As much as I kinda hate the way leveling to 60 is being handled, I get it and it's not literally the worst thing. The MSQ in general has been so much better in both pace and objectives this time around that I'm willing to forgive the 50-60 grind. There are still some dumb fetch quest mmo bullshit things going on, but it's much reduced. I finally got around to unlocking flying in my first zone (Churning Mists) and wow. Clearly all of the zones were designed with this in mind because traveling without flying in any of the new zones is a massive pain in the rear end and flying makes everything so much better. I can't decide if having to do the whole Aether Current thing is smart or kind of a pain, but I'm leaning towards smart since exploring on foot first makes you experience the zone as opposed to dive bombing your objective spots.

Overall I'm super happy with the expansion. I wish leveling was a little quicker, but everything else is so great that it's not a huge deal for me. So far all the new PLD skills are fantastic and really make the class more fun to play. Having more than 1 useful combo is great, the new blocking move is fun and the healing buff thing (at 56) makes for an interesting move to try and fit in to fights). Looking forward to the remainder of the skills for sure.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I love dungeons so I recommend just doing highest level dungeons after exhausting roulettes, and if you're a dps, do fates while waiting or grab a healer/tank friend and/or goon to queue with. Dungeons are fun and give xp and the best* gear.

*Depending on what you mean by best. Are the stats good? The best. Is it pretty gear? The prettiest. Either way, you win!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I love dungeons so I recommend just doing highest level dungeons after exhausting roulettes, and if you're a dps, do fates while waiting or grab a healer/tank friend and/or goon to queue with. Dungeons are fun and give xp and the best* gear.

*Depending on what you mean by best. Are the stats good? The best. Is it pretty gear? The prettiest. Either way, you win!

Vault and Library are so much fun.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Vault and Library are so much fun.

I can't stay mad at the Library even though it dropped the tank glove 3 times and literally nothing else, sending me to expert roulette with exceptionally garbage vendor gear. It's just so good :allears:

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Anyone having problems with exp and insists they've been doing side quests I can only assume have been completely ignoring roulettes at this point. I've been doing my roulettes daily since the expansion came out, and I've done all the quests in early grassland, snowland, and chocoland, and then COMPLETELY skipped over every single sidequest in moogleland (ready to get the story on the road), and STILL finished the 3rd dungeon at lv 57, with another class at lv 52.

Also, do your hunts, at least the ones for zones you can fly in. Huge exp for 0 effort.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

psymonkey posted:

Anyone having problems with exp and insists they've been doing side quests I can only assume have been completely ignoring roulettes at this point. I've been doing my roulettes daily since the expansion came out, and I've done all the quests in early grassland, snowland, and chocoland, and then COMPLETELY skipped over every single sidequest in moogleland (ready to get the story on the road), and STILL finished the 3rd dungeon at lv 57, with another class at lv 52.

Also, do your hunts, at least the ones for zones you can fly in. Huge exp for 0 effort.

Alternatively, I had no access to HLDR because I wasn't doing 7 pointless dungeons just to unlock the ability to do it for one, maybe two days' worth of experience, and didn't want to suffer through any of the other roulettes. I still skipped over every single one of these "walls" that people complain about except for the Level 58 one, which I still wrapped up neatly once I finished two days of Hunt Log EXP. I never touched the 'Moogle Hell' sidequests after the Aery. I also completely ignored my challenge log outside of what naturally was completed.

I only did each dungeon a handful of times, whereas I've heard people stranded even after doing The Vault 12 times.

I don't really know what I did differently to maintain such a surplus of EXP, but I definitely feel like anyone having notable problems isn't using all the EXP they have available to them.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
People leveling your second or third (nerds) jobs to sixty, I am a whm thats going to be powering through dungeons repeatedly starting with Sohm Al. If you want quick queues for your baby dps job, I'll be going basically all weekend until I hit 60, so let me know if you're interested

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just a reminder to people leveling gathering classes (specifically MIN and BTN) - do your daily Grand Company turn-ins! Go out and click things!

Today I had Dragon Obsidian and Cedar Branches as my turn-ins. They're both from Lv50 nodes that spawn fairly close to Falcon's Nest. I went out and hit nodes until I had 10 HQ of each. During that time I'd say I gathered over 100 times per class. With rested exp, that was around 4000-5000 exp per node on average, so easily over 100k for each class just by hitting nodes. Both turn-ins had double rewards today, so for about 20 minutes of work, I got over 500k for each class and a stack of NQs to craft with or sell.

I haven't gotten too deep into things yet, but if the exp flow stays like this it should be an easy ride to 60 just going out once a day to gather things. I used the same method to take all my DoL to 50 and I'm glad it's still working out just fine. (Too bad the Heavensward gathering achievement excludes Lv50 nodes...)

psymonkey posted:

I've barely had time to play, and I've got SMN a stone's throw away from 54. It would be 55 but I've been putting my LLDRs into MCH.

I'm happy they added exp to new hunts. That's 125k and some pocket change for doing all five, and considering how high the exp requirements get past 50, you want every easy exp reward you can get.

But yeah, please don't be a person that grinds FATEs all day and burns out.

Edit:

Verranicus posted:

The dungeons are all worth doing at least once. None of them are "pointless".

I agree. Even if you don't see the point in doing old content, you should try them out. The post-2.0 dungeons are just... really good, especially compared to the lovely 1.0 holdover dungeons.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 26, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

a cat on an apple posted:

Alternatively, I had no access to HLDR because I wasn't doing 7 pointless dungeons just to unlock the ability to do it for one, maybe two days' worth of experience, and didn't want to suffer through any of the other roulettes. I still skipped over every single one of these "walls" that people complain about except for the Level 58 one, which I still wrapped up neatly once I finished two days of Hunt Log EXP. I never touched the 'Moogle Hell' sidequests after the Aery. I also completely ignored my challenge log outside of what naturally was completed.

I only did each dungeon a handful of times, whereas I've heard people stranded even after doing The Vault 12 times.

I don't really know what I did differently to maintain such a surplus of EXP, but I definitely feel like anyone having notable problems isn't using all the EXP they have available to them.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Dreadwroth posted:

So if any Gunes are on Faerie, I have a Marauder I'm working on named Balder if you need another body for the guild. Excalibur seems to be locked every time I look at it.

There is no unified goon guild on Faerie, but my guild is very friendly to new and returning players. It's nothing like a goon guild, though. I'm Kestrel Fairmeadow, feel free to say hi and friend me and such. :)

Since it came up just a day or three ago, other active Faerie goons are Raven Madd (bleuraindrops) and Gentleman Caller (Panic! at Nabisco). Also abraham linksys, but I don't know his character name.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My method:

- Do every single main and sidequest, taking the time to read all the text. While many of the sidequests are eyeroll-worthy, some of them (especially the ones with cutscenes) are actually kinda interesting/charming as mini-stories. A lot of my friends approached them simply as a barrier to hitting 60 and naturally resented them for that, but I enjoyed them more by appreciating them as another bit of Heavensward content in their own right. Level 60 wasn't going anywhere.

- Do all the clan mark hunts every day (still worthwhile considering the hunt blob murders A ranks in 2-3 GCDs). You unlock a new batch at 53, 56, and 59, with your weekly hunt unlocked at 60. You're looking at over 100k per day per tier.

- Do the heavensward sightseeing log entries - these have no time or weather requirements and have a glowy spot to identify them - in each zone once I can fly there. Each zone is 126k exactly.

- Do low level, high level, trial, and main scenario roulette each day, two or maybe three times total before hitting 60. Huge exp boost here (no big surprise), well worth the time. Plus LLDR likes to give you the new dungeons anyway.

- Run each new leveling dungeon once deliberately. (I've done more since, and they're wicked fun, but I'll be doing plenty of them on my later jobs, and those will get the 50% armory bonus which my first 60 did not get.)

- Mostly ignore fates, though I hit up a few of the achievement-rewarding ones (which also rewarded a lot of exp) if I was in the area and saw shouts for them.

I ended up hitting 60 at the beginning of the last zone, and never once hit a wall. I expect that if I'd skimped on either sidequesting or running roulettes that I would have hit a wall, however.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Verranicus posted:

DizzyBum posted:

I agree. Even if you don't see the point in doing old content, you should try them out. The post-2.0 dungeons are just... really good, especially compared to the lovely 1.0 holdover dungeons.

I didn't mean it in that sense. I meant they were pointless for the purpose of progression, which was my main priority at the time. Once you get so deep into the MSQ, there's just no realistic reason to ever be sidetracked if you have even the remotest semblance of a heart.

Having started only very recently, however, the HLDR dungeons that I'd have to complete to unlock HLDR give no EXP, give no loots that help towards progression, only give Poetics when not performed in Roulette, would either be long and arduous doing synced down where I would either have newbies that know the fights as well as I do (i.e. not at all) or roulette people wanting their fast EXP/Laws, or I would have to drag some people away from the wonderful Heavensward content to blow up these dungeons in an Undersized Party. Mind you, the latter is what I'll do eventually, but not so soon after release when everyone is binging on the storyline quests.

And I have seven of these dungeons to do.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Varance posted:

There was no point where I was left having to grind, though 59 came close. I did only a handful of FATEs early on and re-ran a couple of dungeons to help friends. edit: for whatever reason I didn't do a single roulette before 60.

Yes, I ran all the moogle quests. Every. loving. One. Never again.

Ultimately the last 59 MS quest left me 2400 xp short of 60, so I leveled off of a map uncover on the way to the last quest. Efficient but anticlimactic. :effort: Tonight I'll get around to finishing the story so this thread looks less like a CIA document.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 26, 2015

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Verranicus posted:

So, right now on Balmung and apparently for the last 2 days there's been a female Hyur who stands in front of the exit to the Vault and drops a bunch of emotes on anyone who leaves the instance, trades them a tea, then drops a bunch more emotes. This person is either crazy, as they have been online non-stop the entire time outside of maintenance doing this, or running a really bizarre script.

Well when they did it to me two days ago I had a small conversation with them, so at the time they were definitely at their keyboard.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yo so that final loving trial, huh

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Is it just me or are dps queue times for HLDR utterly hosed? 30-45+ minutes this week, even with in-queue selected. Average wait to 5-8 minutes too, you dicks.

Inversely DPS queues for dungeons while leveling have all but been instant since the expansion launched.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

And I have seven of these dungeons to do.

Your complaint's a reasonable one. If the rewards were adjusted to provide a post-50 incentive (give them a decent chunk of EXP, for example), it'd make it seem like far less of a waste of time. If I were just starting up the game and could only do a feature after unlocking and playing through seven specific dungeons that gave me no tangible reward, I'd be annoyed, too.

Rei_ posted:

Yo so that final loving trial, huh

Boy, was my heart ever loving racing when the other tank got dual Braver'd. I cannot wait for the Hard version of it.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Vermain posted:

Boy, was my heart ever loving racing when the other tank got dual Braver'd. I cannot wait for the Hard version of it.

I was healing for that trial, and I nearly loving poo poo myself when this one WAR got taken from full HP to 113. Seriously, a WAR of all things, a huge loving slab of meat, reduced just like that.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vil posted:

My method:

- Do every single main and sidequest, taking the time to read all the text. While many of the sidequests are eyeroll-worthy, some of them (especially the ones with cutscenes) are actually kinda interesting/charming as mini-stories. A lot of my friends approached them simply as a barrier to hitting 60 and naturally resented them for that, but I enjoyed them more by appreciating them as another bit of Heavensward content in their own right. Level 60 wasn't going anywhere.

- Do all the clan mark hunts every day (still worthwhile considering the hunt blob murders A ranks in 2-3 GCDs). You unlock a new batch at 53, 56, and 59, with your weekly hunt unlocked at 60. You're looking at over 100k per day per tier.

- Do the heavensward sightseeing log entries - these have no time or weather requirements and have a glowy spot to identify them - in each zone once I can fly there. Each zone is 126k exactly.

- Do low level, high level, trial, and main scenario roulette each day, two or maybe three times total before hitting 60. Huge exp boost here (no big surprise), well worth the time. Plus LLDR likes to give you the new dungeons anyway.

- Run each new leveling dungeon once deliberately. (I've done more since, and they're wicked fun, but I'll be doing plenty of them on my later jobs, and those will get the 50% armory bonus which my first 60 did not get.)

- Mostly ignore fates, though I hit up a few of the achievement-rewarding ones (which also rewarded a lot of exp) if I was in the area and saw shouts for them.

I ended up hitting 60 at the beginning of the last zone, and never once hit a wall. I expect that if I'd skimped on either sidequesting or running roulettes that I would have hit a wall, however.

This is great, assuming you can spend 4+ hours a day in game. I find that if you're limited to ~2 hours it's better to do LLDR (since it usually gives you a HW dungeon), then run your highest dungeon (good xp and you can get loot), then side quest (either in between, while in queue or just if you find yourself with 20 mins to spare).

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Opposing Farce posted:

Earlier in the thread somebody was talking about how they thought the post-credits scene was lame but the Ascians have an evil you on the moon and that's exactly the kind of ridiculous, hilarious twist I want to see in Anime MMO and I'm very excited.

My theory is that Trailer Hyur was actually the Warrior of Darkness all along.

Can we make this person with black hair and a goatee? Like Flexo?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Vermain posted:

Your complaint's a reasonable one. If the rewards were adjusted to provide a post-50 incentive (give them a decent chunk of EXP, for example), it'd make it seem like far less of a waste of time. If I were just starting up the game and could only do a feature after unlocking and playing through seven specific dungeons that gave me no tangible reward, I'd be annoyed, too.

I hope this will eventually happen a couple patches down the line. They clearly want players to do 3.0 content right now to take their characters past 50 at a reasonable rate, rather than steamroll old content repeatedly, even if the level cap's been raised for everyone.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I was healing for that trial, and I nearly loving poo poo myself when this one WAR got taken from full HP to 113. Seriously, a WAR of all things, a huge loving slab of meat, reduced just like that.
The first time I ran it, I tried tanking both of them and didn't mitigate the dual Braver, which was a mistake because I got obliterated. Now I habitually OT when I get the fight on Trial roulette so the other tank doesn't make the same mistake.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Moldy Taxes posted:

The first time I ran it, I tried tanking both of them and didn't mitigate the dual Braver, which was a mistake because I got obliterated. Now I habitually OT when I get the fight on Trial roulette so the other tank doesn't make the same mistake.

You can probably just Hallowed Ground/Holmgang through it, although I imagine the HM will require a tank split.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Paladin was trying to fight me for one of the adds so I wound up somehow, through the magic of bad main tanks, tanking both of them somehow? Luckily I already knew that was bad and was blowing cooldowns, frantically putting path up on both and had TOB and Equilibrium ready to go.

GOD I love Equilibrium. I've been stance-dancing like a coked up Michael Flatley and being able to heal myself for that much, or even drop into Deliverance real quick to restock my TP, drop a Fell Cleave, then switch back into Defiance for whatever comes next. Warrior really got some of the best changes. hosed up how they started 2.0, and now how they're starting 3.0

I'm really feeling the ilevel hit in the ex dungeons though, luckily tomes fall out of the drat sky right now due to all the first time bonuses and lack of a proper cap. I already grabbed my weapon and a bunch of 160 gear, and now I guess I'll work on left side gear.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ouhei posted:

This is great, assuming you can spend 4+ hours a day in game. I find that if you're limited to ~2 hours it's better to do LLDR (since it usually gives you a HW dungeon), then run your highest dungeon (good xp and you can get loot), then side quest (either in between, while in queue or just if you find yourself with 20 mins to spare).

Good point. I basically took a few days off work and blasted through the content (not to the point of rushing/skipping cutscenes, but definitely playing a lot). Mostly for the sake of not having to deal with assholes spoiling poo poo for me.

In an approach like that with a more sane daily time investment, I'd agree with fewer roulettes per day - among other things, the process is going to be drawn out over more days anyway. You probably don't need to throw in the deliberate highest dungeon though. (I mean, if you want to because you find it fun, great, but don't feel obligated to do it to stay ahead of the exp curve.) One LLDR a day, plus sidequesting, should still keep you on pace for 60 if you're playing 2 hours a day.

It's worth remembering that sidequest exp won't get any better on later jobs, while dungeon and fate exp will. So if there's any time when sidequests are most relatively rewarding, it's on the first 60.

• Locked thread