Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

You mean 1/70? And it's not the cost that really matters. It's the fact that it almost certainly won't work with the state of my phone right now. This is basic functionality that many email apps (including all the ones I'm trying) can do easily. Nine isn't consider the best because it's the only one that can push emails.

Why not just try the free trial? Also do you have some kind of greenify or task manager or something running? I bet you do and that's causing an issue. Undo all your setting changes or whatever, and then install Nine and try it.

Also, push mail, especially with exchange, is a battery hog, it's just the way it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Why not just try the free trial? Also do you have some kind of greenify or task manager or something running? I bet you do and that's causing an issue. Undo all your setting changes or whatever, and then install Nine and try it.

Also, push mail, especially with exchange, is a battery hog, it's just the way it works.

I'll give the trial a shot.

I do not have any sort of task manager installed.

I just re-added an exchange activesync account (which caused the stock email app to be re-activated). The stock app seems to work perfectly, but AquaMail still wasn't working. Is it an issue to have two email apps both connecting to the same exchange account?

As for the battery, I never had this issue on previous phones. I've had an s2 and and s4 pushing exchange mail and it was never a real factor in battery usage. I don't know if it's a lollipop thing or something buggy with the s6, but each of the email apps I've tried have easily been the biggest battery user on this phone. They use far more battery than the screen. Either the s6 has a ridiculously efficient screen, the stock lollipop battery usage reporting is way off, or the exchange/push system on lollipop/s6 is terrible.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Executive posted:

Either the s6 has a ridiculously efficient screen, the stock lollipop battery usage reporting is way off, or the exchange/push system on lollipop/s6 is terrible.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes, yes, and yes.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I'm not sure about the S6 but I can say on my work S5 running Lollipop, Nine isn't a battery hog at all. I even paid for it completely out of pocket because I liked it so much.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So quick question.

I'm currently rocking a W7 phone a customer gave me a few years back. It's a nice phone, Windows phones are pretty easy to figure out, but it can't really do anything. Nobody makes apps for Windows phones, and if they do, they make them for W8 phones.

My landlord just upgraded, and offered me her LG-D415 for $50. Considering I need an upgrade, I'm thinking of taking it, especially since most phones I can find on my plan are $200 +. I just want Android goons to let me know what I'd be getting into with that phone. If it's good,, bad, absolutely terrible, whatever. It'd be my first Android phone, so I'm not sure how apps are separated/handled at all.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
For $50 it's not a terrible phone, especially considering it's a $150 phone that is pretty much the same as the 2nd Gen Moto E (a good, budget phone).

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
So I tried to revert all the changes I made, readded my exchange account, and the stock email app started working. So then I installed Nine and it seems to be working well. I haven't spent much time looking at all the fancy settings, since I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it. After ~3 hours of use, it has yet to register on the battery usage. I will gladly pay the :10bux: if this works well and doesnt drain 15-20% of my battery every day.

Also, it retracts email notifications after I read the email on my computer (I know somebody else already said it would do this). This is an awesome feature and I wonder why no other apps (that I've tried) do this.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So, I've got a Nexus 5 (still on 4.4.4, Lollipop poo poo up my N7 so I've been wary of the update)
But have Chrome and Swiftkey poo poo the bed for anyone else? I switched back to the stock keyboard because Swiftkey has maybe a 1 in 4 chance of opening when I touch a text field and lags like hell.
Now Chrome drops tabs at random, hitting the "back" button doesn't take me back, and it arbitrarily decides to not acknowledge whatever I've just typed in the address bar. What the goddamn is happening? I haven't rooted or unlocked or anything.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

YggiDee posted:

So, I've got a Nexus 5 (still on 4.4.4, Lollipop poo poo up my N7 so I've been wary of the update)
But have Chrome and Swiftkey poo poo the bed for anyone else? I switched back to the stock keyboard because Swiftkey has maybe a 1 in 4 chance of opening when I touch a text field and lags like hell.
Now Chrome drops tabs at random, hitting the "back" button doesn't take me back, and it arbitrarily decides to not acknowledge whatever I've just typed in the address bar. What the goddamn is happening? I haven't rooted or unlocked or anything.
I think that's just Chrome in general.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Never had any of that happen with Chrome. Or Swiftkey actually. Nexus 6 and 7 on 5.1.1.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Just got 5.1 OTA on my Moto X 2014 Pure on Cricket.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

DemonMage posted:

Never had any of that happen with Chrome. Or Swiftkey actually. Nexus 6 and 7 on 5.1.1.

I have had that happen all the time with Chrome.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My girlfriend broke her Sprint Galaxy S3 today. What should she buy for <$150 (preferably <$120) new unlocked from Amazon or similar?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

At that price bracket, 2nd generation Moto E.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Soak test going out for the Droid Turbo

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

this_is_hard posted:

It's about god drat time

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

this_is_hard posted:

Dear goon in here who immediately throws all his phones into pools, please don't misunderstand this post.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

this_is_hard posted:

Finally getting ICS?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Finally getting ICS?
Ice Cream Sandwich.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there a 5.1.1 update for the Galaxy N3-Verizon?

I bought this phone used and is on 5.0. I thought maybe it would have at least 5.1 available.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Anyone here replace the back on the Sony Z3 Compact (or Z3 proper)? My suddenly got a crack and am looking to swap it out. I'm concerned about losing waterproofing (and worse, not knowing that I did) while doing so. There is one on Amazon but only one 5 star review so not sure what the quality of the replacement is like.

Can't help as far as replacement parts go, but you can check to see if it's still pressurized yourself, assuming you have the back replaced. Dial *#*#SERVICE#*#*, then go to service tests, then the pressure test. If the number goes up when you pinch the back and screen, you're golden.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mooktastical posted:

Can't help as far as replacement parts go, but you can check to see if it's still pressurized yourself, assuming you have the back replaced. Dial *#*#SERVICE#*#*, then go to service tests, then the pressure test. If the number goes up when you pinch the back and screen, you're golden.

That is pretty awesome.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mr Executive posted:

I wonder why no other apps (that I've tried) do this.

Mr Executive posted:

I don't want to pay $10.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Exchange apps are always going to cost money because there is a licensing cost involved.

The exceptions like Cloudmagic and what is now the Outlook app don't actually work via Activesync rather they have their own implementation via an intermediary server (which means giving up your credentials)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is the Z3C still the best option for a small, fully featured phone?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mooktastical posted:

Terrific, thanks! Will do that when I replace.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

this_is_hard posted:

That's cool, did you get an invite or did you read it somewhere?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Mogomra posted:

That's cool, did you get an invite or did you read it somewhere?

The initial invites/survey went out last night. No follow ups yet but its only 7am EST.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

How quickly does Moto usually move with those?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Last time it was like three loving weeks between initial email and update, and that was for a VoLTE patch. Something must've gone horribly wrong though because generally it'll be the initial email and the next day you'll be invited to the private forum and the update rolls out later that night.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
With the Verizon 2nd Gen Moto X it was super-fast from soak test to full release. Like, I want to say that the same week. Moto is weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's been as quick as less than 24 hours between email and rollout and as long as 3 weeks. It's very hard to say. It going out on a Thursday is odd too (but not unprecedented) as the way it usually works is surveys on Monday followed by rollout Weds morning.

But there have been evening rollouts before as well.

Something did go wrong with the update last time as the build date for the update was over 2 weeks after the invite email went out, so they obviously went back and changed something at the last minute.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Ice Cream Sandwich.
Thank you.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

The best option is a Space Grey iPhone 5S 32gb

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

Yep, definitely. Ignore the post above this.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

I'll give the trial a shot.

I do not have any sort of task manager installed.

I just re-added an exchange activesync account (which caused the stock email app to be re-activated). The stock app seems to work perfectly, but AquaMail still wasn't working. Is it an issue to have two email apps both connecting to the same exchange account?

As for the battery, I never had this issue on previous phones. I've had an s2 and and s4 pushing exchange mail and it was never a real factor in battery usage. I don't know if it's a lollipop thing or something buggy with the s6, but each of the email apps I've tried have easily been the biggest battery user on this phone. They use far more battery than the screen. Either the s6 has a ridiculously efficient screen, the stock lollipop battery usage reporting is way off, or the exchange/push system on lollipop/s6 is terrible.

This is so weird. I'm connected to the same Exchange server you are and haven't had any problems with battery in any email app. I'm on lollipop on a note 4. FWIW, Nine is totally worth it, and at least for me there's no battery drain with accepting push email. If Nine is also a big hog on your S6, you might try factory resetting the phone. Maybe there's something screwy with your install of Lollipop.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This is so weird. I'm connected to the same Exchange server you are and haven't had any problems with battery in any email app. I'm on lollipop on a note 4. FWIW, Nine is totally worth it, and at least for me there's no battery drain with accepting push email. If Nine is also a big hog on your S6, you might try factory resetting the phone. Maybe there's something screwy with your install of Lollipop.

I think the real issue is that battery usage reporting in Lollipop and/or the s6 is hilariously bad. Yesterday, when I was loving around on my phone all day, the screen was on for almost 4 hours. At the end of the day, it said the screen had only used ~20% of the battery. Somehow I don't believe this phone would last for 20 hours with the screen on.

I've been using Nine for the past 22 hours and it works great. So far today (currently at 85%), the stock battery usage says Nine has used 4%, "email sync" has used 2%, and the screen has only used 1% (43 minutes). In Gsam, it says the screen is responsible for like 60% of the 15% that has been used and Nine is only responsible for like 1%.

And I'm kinda doubting something is wrong with the install of Lollipop. I got the phone less than two weeks ago and it came with Lollipop installed, I didn't have to update it. I did just update to 5.1 a couple days ago, but the goofy battery numbers were present both before and after installing that update.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Nine has been nothing but cool and good for me on either the '13 Moto X or my Z3c.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This tells you all you need to know about Nine. HOURS after the M Previews were published, they pushed a bug fix to resolve an issue on M. They are on top of their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone in the UK who likes the look of a Moto X 2014 can get a 16GB model from Moto Maker for £229 including VAT and shipping until 30th June.