Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Trastion posted:

I made some of these today. I used all beef frozen meatballs and thick cut apple wood smoked bacon and a Korean teriyaki sauce for the glaze. They were great but I can tell that I am going to be making these a bunch to experiment with the glazes to find what ones I like best. I think something spicy is in order. Maybe a Jalapeno Jelly based glaze?

I use bbq sauce and have tried glazes in the past but it still wasn't as good as the bbq sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Wow, that jerky looks great. What temp was that done at?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I'll be moving to a densely populated area next month. My best bet to minimize the amount of smoke and floating ash in the chimney would be lump charcoal and a paraffin starter correct?

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
I use a blowtorch here in Oakland because the fire department got called on me when i used newspaper. Which is hilarious because when the crack house down the street caught on fire nobody even showed up.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Woof! Woof! posted:

crack house down the street caught on fire nobody even showed up.

Probably hoping the house would take the crackheads with them. :)

So brisket talk... so far I've only ever had super lean briskets because of poor availability of fatted full packers in the UK.

Is the difference between a fat cap and no fat cap, a dry brisket.. because I'm having real problems with dryness.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Could you put bacon on top? No idea if that would work or not.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Jamsta posted:

Is the difference between a fat cap and no fat cap, a dry brisket.. because I'm having real problems with dryness.

Yes, because the fat covers up a significant amount of the meat's surface area. As a result, there's less meat surface for moisture to evaporate off of.
Inject the brisket with brine to see if that helps keep moisture, or talk to your butcher about getting one with the fat still on (you may have to find a butcher buying primals, not cryopacks).

Bacon, or any surface covering, will help with evaporation. But it also inhibits bark formation. A lot of folks will cut the fat off the meat at the table anyways, and self basting is a myth.

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007

davey4283 posted:

Wow, that jerky looks great. What temp was that done at?

Held at 200 for about 2 hours

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Well, gently caress me, that looks amazing.

Gorman Thomas posted:

I'll be moving to a densely populated area next month. My best bet to minimize the amount of smoke and floating ash in the chimney would be lump charcoal and a paraffin starter correct?

Decent-quality charcoal should be fine, but I'd go with ethanol over paraffin. Not sure how good the quality of paraffin in the US is, but my experience with it back home basically meant varying degrees in purity of lamp oil, some of which would still yield smoke and soot. Your average denatured alcohol should be of mostly the same quality and price anywhere and you can just soak a little crumpled up piece of kitchen towel with it and fire up any amount of charcoal without much fuss.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Woof! Woof! posted:

Yes, because the fat covers up a significant amount of the meat's surface area. As a result, there's less meat surface for moisture to evaporate off of.
Inject the brisket with brine to see if that helps keep moisture, or talk to your butcher about getting one with the fat still on (you may have to find a butcher buying primals, not cryopacks).

Bacon, or any surface covering, will help with evaporation. But it also inhibits bark formation. A lot of folks will cut the fat off the meat at the table anyways, and self basting is a myth.

Good idea about injecting - I'll try that on another small brisket before going for a full packer.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

Jamsta posted:

Good idea about injecting - I'll try that on another small brisket before going for a full packer.

I couldn't ever get small brisket right. Cooked my first packer perfect though.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

feelz good man posted:

If you plan on making a stew or chili, smoke whatever meat you're using first. Just for a short time (like one or two hours). Just enough to put some flavour on it.

Here are some oxtails I smoked for some upcoming gumbo:

Well how rude of me. I never posted the finished product. Smoked oxtail and smoked sausage gumbo with smoked pork bone stock. TRIPLE SMOKE THREAT

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Jo3sh posted:

For slicers, the Chef's Choice 615 is pretty decent for a home model:
http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Premium-Electric-Slicer/dp/B0058VCYWS/

There are a few other models that are a little less, but the 615 has a more powerful motor, which might mean it would last longer.
Go big or go home. You can find deals on Hobarts on Craigslist. I got this one for $25 on Saturday

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

I couldn't ever get small brisket right. Cooked my first packer perfect though.

I will take heart with this info - cheers

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

CapnBry posted:

I know we all usually make full-on BBQ here, but dammit this is the slow smoking meat thread and I slow smoked this meat.

It's a boneless pork butt that was on sale, brined then seasoned with the basics (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder) and a little thyme. Smoked it on lump with a couple oak chunks at 275F until 170F internal temperature (~4 hours), foiled it with half a dozen crushed garlic cloves and a few sprigs of rosemary. Pulled it off at 190F (~6 hours). Defatted the juices from the aluminum foil and made a pan sauce with a cup of white wine. So drat delicious and not my typical pulled pork go-to. Served with some roast fingerling potatoes and asparagus.

I really just wanted to test a HeaterMeter part that I had 3D printed, which I will post a picture of because we all like gadgets too right? It is a Offset Rotary Damper that incorporates a servo damper with a blower to regulate the pit temperature.

How are you attaching that blower and damper thingy? So far all I've done so far is place my blower really close to the inlet and managed to melt it. I might around with some thin sheet metal on my last smoker and cut some holes, but that smoker was Ł30 and I'm scared to ruin my Ł250 WSM

Jamsta posted:

So brisket talk... so far I've only ever had super lean briskets because of poor availability of fatted full packers in the UK.

Unless you get one of those real American style ones, keep the brisket rolled mate. I know you don't get as much bark and smoke, but I've found its much moister inside than if you unroll it. I tried injecting it once and couldn't really notice a different in moistness so I don't bother.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 24, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

feelz good man posted:

Well how rude of me. I never posted the finished product. Smoked oxtail and smoked sausage gumbo with smoked pork bone stock. TRIPLE SMOKE THREAT

lord have mercy

I was thinking of throwing in some of my chorizo the next time I do chili.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Ahdinko posted:

How are you attaching that blower and damper thingy? So far all I've done so far is place my blower really close to the inlet and managed to melt it. I might around with some thin sheet metal on my last smoker and cut some holes, but that smoker was Ł30 and I'm scared to ruin my Ł250 WSM
I just stick it in the door of my BGE. This is my other RotoDamper which has the same metal plate and a 1" EMT (metal) conduit fitting on it. It's been as high as 700F without any sign of distress.

Here's a thermal image of the white blower with a 300F pit and 20mm of aluminum linking them. (aluminum covered in blue tape for emissivity). As you discovered, the vertical surfaces get hottest, but at that distance it is below 50C which is perfectly safe.

For WSMs I think most people affix it to a dog bowl then attach the bowl to the vent using a toggle bolt.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OK I will finally be testing my new BGE knockoff tomorrow when I smoke a butt. Couple questions:

•Should I "season" the grill by burning charcoal in it with nothing on it first? Are there typically bad stuff inside that I want to cook away before my food goes in?
•Water filled drip pan or nah?
•Should I have a pizza stone in there to act as a diffuser and allow it to cook with more indirect heat?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

OK I will finally be testing my new BGE knockoff tomorrow when I smoke a butt. Couple questions:

•Should I "season" the grill by burning charcoal in it with nothing on it first? Are there typically bad stuff inside that I want to cook away before my food goes in?
•Water filled drip pan or nah?
•Should I have a pizza stone in there to act as a diffuser and allow it to cook with more indirect heat?

I would do an initial burn in it, one to clear it out and get a bit used to how adjustments affect the temp.
I typically use a pan, with just a bit of water in it. Mainly just to not get drippings everywhere.
You def want to have some type of deflector so you can cook indirect

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

niss posted:

I would do an initial burn in it, one to clear it out and get a bit used to how adjustments affect the temp.
I typically use a pan, with just a bit of water in it. Mainly just to not get drippings everywhere.
You def want to have some type of deflector so you can cook indirect

Fantastic, thanks.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
The $9.88 for 40 lbs of Kingsford is back at Lowe's until 7/5 if you missed the Memorial Day sale

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Kingsford-2-Pack-20-lb-40-lb-Total-Charcoal-Briquettes/3460912

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thought of another Q. With a BGE style cooker, how should the vents be configured to keep the temp low. Both mostly closed? Bottom closed and top open? Top completely closed?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Always leave the top vent completely open and regulate incoming air with your bottom vents.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a preferred pork butt rub?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Thought of another Q. With a BGE style cooker, how should the vents be configured to keep the temp low. Both mostly closed? Bottom closed and top open? Top completely closed?

I'd say about 60 or 75% of the overall temp control is done via the lower opening. the top is for fine tuning. for low and slow, i slowly dial it in so that i dont overshoot the temp and then the top is generally barely open and the bottom is about half an inch to 3/4th an inch wide

I use dizzy pig rub but if you want to make your own, lots of people like the guy at amazingribs.com

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you guys inject your butts?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Seconding the love for the Memphis dust rub from amazingribs.com, it's such a great pork rub.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Tivac posted:

Seconding the love for the Memphis dust rub from amazingribs.com, it's such a great pork rub.

Thirds. Chicken and beef get my salt and pepper love, but memphis dust is amazing on pork.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Always leave the top vent completely open and regulate incoming air with your bottom vents.

Absolutely not. The bge ships with a daisy wheel top or whatever it is called to help regulate temperature. If I did that I would struggle to keep temps below 350.

Flash, use the pre burn to help you figure it out. I leave top with the vents open enough to fit a toothpick through and the bottom vent open about half an inch, maybe less?

Only you can see the performance of the airflow / heat retention / charcoal and see how much oxygen you need to keep the fire burning at the temp you want.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Yes. Apple juice, a tablespoon of whatever rub you use, and some worchestire sauce. It's a modified version of chris Lilly's recipe that's the first hit on Google for "pork butt injection"

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Never saw much point. After its pulled you can sprinkle it with rub and moisten it with a little apple juice.

A local place does pulled pork with root beer or Dr Pepper. I've not tried it but I might make some that way next time I have some pulled pork.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble keeping the temp down even with all vents all the way closed. Did I use too much charcoal? I used a full chimney starter of it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
How are you doing your charcoal, and how long has it been since you closed your vents? It can take up to 30 minutes for temps to stabilize.

But in general you don't want a full chimney of charcoal for a low and slow smoke. 15 briquettes or so on top of a pile of unlit briquettes is your standard minion method. A full lit chimney is going to kick out a lot of heat, and if you put more charcoal on top of lit charcoal you're going to have a very hard time controlling the heat.

Catching the temp and closing vents as it comes up is key. If you start closing vents at 250 you're going to have a very hard time keeping it at 250. I generally close off at 200 or so and then crack open a bit at a time to bring it up to 250ish.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems to have stabilized. I think it was too many lumps lit all at once. Thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But reading your post makes me think I should have used more charcoal. The only charcoal input in was the chimney starter full which was enough to make a nice even layer on top of which I tossed chunks of hickory.

Soon...am I hosed? I was thinking if I need to add more later would I be better if starting in the chimney starter and adding it already lit?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I would just add more unlit charcoal to the side of whatever is in there and hot. Also, pork shoulders are pretty forgiving. I fell asleep once and my temp spiked around 300-325 for a couple hours and people still loved it even though I thought it was not as good as what I usually produce. Relax, have a beer, put some unlit coals against the side of the hot coals so the new coals slowly burn sideways.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

But reading your post makes me think I should have used more charcoal. The only charcoal input in was the chimney starter full which was enough to make a nice even layer on top of which I tossed chunks of hickory.

Soon...am I hosed? I was thinking if I need to add more later would I be better if starting in the chimney starter and adding it already lit?

If I am doing low and slow in my egg, I light a minimal amount of charcoal and add it to a full egg. It can't hurt to have more than enough charcoal in there especially for long cooks, since the amount of charcoal more or less doesn't affect temps, but the amount of air flowing through the charcoal does. A full load of very large chunks will get hotter faster than a full load of smaller chunks, as the air can flow easier through the larger chunks.

In egg style cookers it is always easier to bring the temp up, vs trying to cool it back down.

keyrock
Mar 5, 2010
I have some pork butt in the BGE right now.

When I first got the thing, I had all sorts of trouble cooking at low temps; I sometimes had temps run over 400 degrees before I could get things to cool down.

I have better luck with things now, but it's a process. Hopefully this will make things easier for a new owner:

I started by cleaning out the egg with a shop vac and making sure the airways were clear.

I then rooted through the bag of charcoal and placed big pieces at the bottom of the egg, slightly smaller ones on top of those then additional layers of smaller bits till the fire box is about 3/4 full. It took about 20 minutes to arrange things. The final layer should be reasonably flat.

I lit the fire with a paraffin cube slightly buried on the top layer. After the cube burned, I closed the lid with the vents fully opened for about 10 minutes, and started closing the vents gradually at 150 degrees to get to 250.

The vents take some tweaking for the first hour, but things will settle down and it becomes pretty easy to keep things around 250 after that.

I started the fire 6 hours ago and it's still holding at around 250 with minor adjustment of the vents every hour or so.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the help everyone. This poo poo is delicious.

Thinking about doing some thigh and leg quarters tomorrow. Any preparation you particularly recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Some ribs I made today

Applewood smoke and a tiny bit of mesquite. I find myself sneaking it in almost everywhere.