Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

The 'nothing' in this case being people losing their jobs over being stupid on the internet.

Some schadenfreude, but the wells running dry.

oh dip literal tens of people losing their jobs for being unprofessional on social media. it's freaking twitter war in the streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Helsing posted:

Well, after perusing this thread and googling a few of the names and terms used I've concluded that this is the stupidest thing ever. Jesus loving Christ twitter is terrible.

the mistake was going in assuming anything but that

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Isn't that more because sexuality is different for everyone?

Not really. Even if someone rejects the hourglass figure that's the current ideal in the US, most of Europe, and Japan, they still understand that to be sexy. And that's what virtually every female character in fighting games, barring literal children, has, along with a revealing costume that highlights sexuality. Even a character like Sakura that's on the low end of this scale still gets bigger boobs and a wider midriff when translated to merchandise.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hadaka Apron posted:

Doing a web series on misogyny in video games and ignoring Other M is like doing a series on racism in film and ignoring Birth of a Nation, if Birth of a Nation had come out only a decade ago and ruined one of cinema's most iconic characters.

Indeed. It is a perfect jumping off point because it can introduce people to basic concepts they haven't been exposed to, like agency and how it affects characters and perceptions of those characters. You could use Other M as your primer and jump off from there.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

i cant beleive youd completely gently caress up the Beautiful Little Strawman meme like this

Yea my bad, I forgot what the leading word was.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

Helsing posted:

Well, after perusing this thread and googling a few of the names and terms used I've concluded that this is the stupidest thing ever. Jesus loving Christ twitter is terrible.

It's glorious isn't it :v:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

Not really. Even if someone rejects the hourglass figure that's the current ideal in the US, most of Europe, and Japan, they still understand that to be sexy. And that's what virtually every female character in fighting games, barring literal children, has, along with a revealing costume that highlights sexuality. Even a character like Sakura that's on the low end of this scale still gets bigger boobs and a wider midriff when translated to merchandise.
Not disagreeing with you, but what would a non-problematic female character look like in a genre as highly stylized as fighting games?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

paranoid randroid posted:

oh dip literal tens of people losing their jobs for being unprofessional on social media. it's freaking twitter war in the streets

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/m6x28o/jon-ronson

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Helsing posted:

:agreed:

Twitter is the absolute worst way to have a discussion and people keep doing it. 140 characters isn't enough to discuss anything more complicated than cake vs. pie (its pie btw), but people keep doing it. And all you can do is basically curse at the other person, or block them. It is why I don't have a twitter account at all.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

That is exactly what you said. That it is necessary to disclose personal relationships because they are a corrupting influence on "objectivity". This in turn suggests that human relationships are inherently corrupt, conflates human contact with the buying of reviews that goes on overtly and covertly, and which everyone knew was going on before they decided to come down on the evil left-wingers, and concludes that trust is impossible. In short, you've never, ever thought about what slips from your lips unceasingly.

Nope. It is important for "neutral" parties, i.e. reviewers to disclose conflicts of interests. It's not a big deal and is extremely common in all media. I don't even get what is so controversial about it.

"Hey I'm reviewing my friends game, and I think it's great and you should buy it" vs "Hey this game is great and you should buy it." Do you really not see the difference?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Helsing posted:

Got it in one.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Helsing posted:

David Auerbach wrote a great article on how Twitter ruins everything:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/10/twitter_is_broken_gamergate_proves_it.html

He's one of the only authors who I feel has covered Gamergate well. I'm not sure whether he considers himself neutral or moderately anti-GG (he's definitely not a supporter) but most of the antis that I know despise him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Hahaha, that's the sort of attitude most people here have had and should have towards it. When you see someone sincerely trying to argue one side it gets ridiculous. So many goons have fully jumped onto the twitter war thing and, eh.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I started following it later, but Hellthread never seemed especially pro- or anti-GG. It seemed more like everyone was just enjoying watching the slow motion train wreck.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

With the current microscope focused on character sexuality, it's almost impossible for game developers to make a female character that someone, somewhere on social media will not boycott for either appearance, personality, or their role in the story. There is a laser focus on problematic design but nobody has really offered constructive criticism other than "it's sexist." I don't see why devs bother if their artistic decisions do nothing but cause backlash.

And yes, merchandise does focus on what sells the most. Then again, that's basically the same market as body pillows, so while creepy it's not entirely new.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Helsing posted:

Kinda funny to see people complaining about "identity politics" when that is exactly what Gamergate seems to amount to; it's identity politics for people who somehow identify with "gaming culture".

Anytime I make the mistake of checking out something related to "gamergate" I find all these insufferable claims that gaming is a "culture" that is "under attack" or that gamers are an "oppressed minority". That kind of rhetoric is identity politics 101.

Gamer Culture is poo poo, and no one should give a gently caress about it and thankfully that isn't what gamergate is though it is convenient for cultural critics to boil everything down to identity politics and then condemn something based on their flawed conclusions.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Geralt in Witcher 3 was another really great character that Anita and McIntosh should have been praising but were too retarded to read the character. They kept (really just McIntosh) claiming that Geralt had no emotions and was angry all the time. The day I read those series of Tweets, I also played Witcher 3, not more then 30 minutes after reading those Tweets in fact. And then within minutes of that was a cut scene where Geralt shows concern for a female character that he views very highly of, and then another cutscene where he displays humor and tries to talk another character out of fighting him.
He's a gruff dude in the same vein of McClane or JC Denton. It's a valid character type, you can't really point fo anything he does and say 'yeah that's super sexist' (not that I know of anyone (no spoilers)).

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

unlimited shrimp posted:

I started following it later, but Hellthread never seemed especially pro- or anti-GG. It seemed more like everyone was just enjoying watching the slow motion train wreck.

I felt that the general consensus was that both sides are terrible, but the antis were funnier because they were hypocrites while the pros were terrible and more honest about it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

unlimited shrimp posted:

I really wish there had been more gamers.txt in there so I'm hopeful for this new thread.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Helsing posted:

Wait until you hear about the rabbit hole that is Peter Coffin lol.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Palpek posted:

But on the other hand that reviewer didn't review her game so the disclosure wasn't necessary. The whole thing stands on a giant strawman of 'what if' which was only needed so that a couple of toxic gaming communities could release their personal feelings of frustration onto something. These feelings happened to be mostly the fear of women which is a plague among lonely gamer nerds and Zoe was the perfect "vapid, evil, cheating ex" target. The rest is history.

Who?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
identity politics and, hell, cultural marxism even

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

poptart_fairy posted:

Hahaha, that's the sort of attitude most people here have had and should have towards it. When you see someone sincerely trying to argue one side it gets ridiculous. So many goons have fully jumped onto the twitter war thing and, eh.

To be honest, I don't give two shits about ethics in game journalism. Its like trying to take the NRA out of Guns and Ammo. It is not going to happen. Besides, if it doesn't stay terrible, how will I laugh at 'games journalists'?

Also, it was recently revealed that less than 3% of people use game reviews to make a purchase. It is all YouTube and word of mouth nowadays. Gaming sites are the walking dead at this point. There's no real point to reforming 'gaming journalism' when it is at the end of its run. I honestly take recommendations for buying stuff in the Games `forum over any reviewer. I can't ever recall buying something based off a game review except to see if it would melt my computer or not.

unlimited shrimp posted:

Yup, pretty much this.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ceterum censeo Gamergatem esse delendam

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Can someone clear something up for me? Were there PoCs in medieval Bohemia or not?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dapper Dan posted:

Twitter is the absolute worst way to have a discussion and people keep doing it. 140 characters isn't enough to discuss anything more complicated than cake vs. pie (its pie btw), but people keep doing it. And all you can do is basically curse at the other person, or block them. It is why I don't have a twitter account at all.
The 140 characters limit is pretty good at producing sentences that can be easily be quoted out of context for hilarious effect. Also it's cake.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
The Quinn situation was entirely the Streisand Effect. IIRC some idiots on reddit were discussing it and suddenly some 10,000 comments were mass deleted, supposedly because Quinn had a guy on the inside. I think it happened on other forums too? Iunno but it was a dumb thing to do.

Kinda like Warner Bros. ceasing production of the Dukes' General Lee merchandise because of a certain flag :mad:

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Dapper Dan posted:

To be honest, I don't give two shits about ethics in game journalism. Its like trying to take the NRA out of Guns and Ammo. It is not going to happen. If it doesn't stay terrible, how will I laugh at 'games journalists'?

Also, it was recently revealed that less than 3% of people use game reviews to make a purchase. It is all YouTube and word of mouth nowadays.Gaming sites are the walking dead at this point. There's no real point to reforming 'gaming journalism' when it is at the end of its run. I honestly take recommendations for buying stuff in the Games `forum over any reviewer. I can't ever recall buying something based off a game review except to see if it would melt my computer or not.

Yup, pretty much this.

You tubers get advanced looks at games I return for positive reviews. Clearly, this is all the fault of women who don't think getting cheevos for virtual sex is an awesome idea.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Can someone clear something up for me? Were there PoCs in medieval Bohemia or not?

everyones the same color when youre all always covered in poo poo and misery until you die

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The thing I don't like is that her Women vs. Tropes video series, the entire thesis is that sexism in video games will cause more sexism in society. There is no research to support this and it's worrying that she refuses to cite the research she is getting this from. She has no authority or credibility to make the claims she does. People should understand that the extent of her research is cherry picking examples from games.

If people aren't influenced by media then where the hell did anyone get the notion that cumming on somebody's face is a remotely normal thing to do

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

There weren't. The argument that Witcher 3 has to have PoC in the game is really stupid either way. Not having them isn't racist. It doesn't mean anything.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I said come in! posted:

There weren't. The argument that Witcher 3 has to have PoC in the game is really stupid either way. Not having them isn't racist. It doesn't mean anything.

Wrong controversy!!! This is a different RPG made by eastern europeans that I forget the name of

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Meme Emulator posted:

Probably. I mean, you likely had some folks of Turkish, Mongol, and Jewish descent in the area

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dapper Dan posted:

To be honest, I don't give two shits about ethics in game journalism. Its like trying to take the NRA out of Guns and Ammo. It is not going to happen. Besides, if it doesn't stay terrible, how will I laugh at 'games journalists'?

Also, it was recently revealed that less than 3% of people use game reviews to make a purchase. It is all YouTube and word of mouth nowadays. Gaming sites are the walking dead at this point. There's no real point to reforming 'gaming journalism' when it is at the end of its run. I honestly take recommendations for buying stuff in the Games `forum over any reviewer. I can't ever recall buying something based off a game review except to see if it would melt my computer or not.

Yup, pretty much this.

Many Youtubers will disclose too. Something like "so and so company sent me this game so I'm going to review it for you." That's it. TB will even overtly refuse to review some games because of his politics, which is also a form of journalistic ethics. It's a minor thing but important to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Meme Emulator posted:

Wrong controversy!!! This is a different RPG made by eastern europeans that I forget the name of

That would be Kingdom Come: Deliverance, I think.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

rudatron posted:

He's a gruff dude in the same vein of McClane or JC Denton. It's a valid character type, you can't really point fo anything he does and say 'yeah that's super sexist' (not that I know of anyone (no spoilers)).

He's a lot more expressive than most gruff protagonists. His entire character arc in the story revolves around his adopted daughter and how his, his partner's, and other adults' decisions do or do not inculcate a sense of responsibility and agency in her. It was one of the best displays of parenthood in a game alongside The Last of Us and far more nuanced than that game.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

gently caress, people take poo poo seriously in this thread.

Bring back hellthread please!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sinnlos posted:

Probably. I mean, you likely had some folks of Turkish, Mongol, and Jewish descent in the area

Sorry im specifically referring to African princes and Sihks

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Sinnlos posted:

if were talking early middle ages, the radhanites passed through there on their trade routes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Well according to a twitter nerd there were, and according to a Bohemian man and the history people he hired they weren't. So I guess the truth is in the middle or something..

• Locked thread