Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Team Blue Mage just hit level 19 near the end of the Fire Ship.

Anyone care to guess what level Liquid Flame is? :getin:

How long did you grind for to get level 19 that early. I just hit 18 after the world 2 crystals with white / knight / beastmaster / samurai. You have blue mages man, you really don't need to grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zerk/Bard. :shepicide:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Evil Eagle posted:

How long did you grind for to get level 19 that early. I just hit 18 after the world 2 crystals with white / knight / beastmaster / samurai. You have blue mages man, you really don't need to grind.

I wanted to get more use out of Goblin Punch, so I did a bit of extra grinding. This lasted until I took a look at later boss levels and noted that they're all over the drat place, so screw it.

Granted, I REALLY don't need to grind now. Because I just got my Earth job.

quote:

@Bufuman can now use the Earth Job 'Chemist'. Don't glitch Exdeath!

Nothing else to say but :getin:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

KataraniSword posted:

Blue Mage is not a lovely gilgabot roll :colbert: Your other crap teammates are basically penance.

Blue mage is a great class, but it's not compensate with geo/dragoon/dragoon great. :colbert:

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I just wanna start my second run. I've been waiting like, almost 24 hours now. :(

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just gave the Dancing Dirk to my Berserker. How good an idea is this? :getin:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
First run done!

Bard, Berserker, Chemist and another Berserker

Omega was hard. I maybe could've stunlocked it with two hasted singers but I wanted to do it differently so I buffed the poo poo out of my chemist, had my bard sing speed song and the chemist just keeping them alive for a while and then did timed succubus' kisses until it died. I kept loving up the timing, though and got double shot by surge beam/mustard bombed and then shot by surge beam a whole bunch of times, which was dumb.

Shinryu I berserkd and blinded, which I guess I also could've done with Omega, but didn't want to. Berserkd and blinded shinryu missed and I leveled up my chicken knife zerker with a mix or he hit and I revived whoever died. It was easy

Exdeath was a billion buffs berserker with underflowed earth hammer and chemist succubus kissing away the grand cross and magic (didn't wanna be hit by dispel) parts. Almagest wasn't dangerous at all with giant's tonic (double max health) and protect. My berserker didn't need to be healed even once and got by on regen and aegis shield, except once when grand cross straight up killed her and she had to be revived (phoenix down + potion mix :allears:)

Now to rereg #chaos without two guaranteed berserkers.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 26, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zerk/Bard/Samurai.

Please leave me to die.

Dareon posted:

It's pretty hilarious.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Wow, up to 47. Only three more Fartzes until we reach the Fartz cap!

I totally expect that to happen while I'm at work today.

Hyun.
May 8, 2008
I'm having trouble making the Fiesta romhack work. All it's doing is unlocking a job called 'Gladiator' instead of every job. I'm applying the .ups with Tsukiyomi. What am I doing wrong?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kyrosiris posted:

It's pretty hilarious.

~3400 damage where she was consistently pulling down 4-500. :stare:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Dareon posted:

I did this to my Berserker while grinding for Reflect Rings - replacing Death Sickle (for obvious reasons) - and forgot to remove it for Atomos.

Turns out a level 30+ Berserker performing Sword Dance does a good 5k every time. Pair 'em with some Dancer-specific gear to increase the likelihood of Sword Dance coming up in the rotation and they might end up being viable.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
There are just no words for how sexy !Mix is. Went for the Elven Cape in Walse Basement and the Jackanapes down there weren't letting me run. The obvious solution:

:fuckoff:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Samurai Faris barely had enough HP to avoid a party wipe on the first Almagest; brought the others back then got lucky with Zerk targeting the Almagest part several times in a row to make sure there wasn't a second casting.

Hoping Gilgabot breaks my Red Mage streak on the next run.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FairGame posted:

Tips for Gilgamesh on Big Bridge? Knight/Zerker/Beastmaster/Dancer.

I easily get to him buffing the hell out of himself, but then he spams jump until I die.

If I recall correctly, the Shell Bears in Exdeath's castle do a lot of damage when you release them. Catch two of those and use them as soon as Gilgamesh finished buffing. That should do the trick.

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

neongrey posted:

Hi5 lovely gilgabot rolls buddies.

:hfive:

At least there's no red mages, so it's an automatic improvement over my all my previous runs.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Another Fartz! victory for ya, Mega64.

Beastmaster/Berserker/Berserker/Ranger was...interesting. Never used Beastmaster before, so I quickly discovered that whips are awesome. Fartz basically just threw healing items everywhere while switching to !Rapid-Fire when everyone was healthy, and Faris spammed !Rapid-Fire chicken knife while helping with healing after Almagests. Though one Grand Cross gave Faris Old status so I had to pass the chicken knife to Fartz and they basically switched roles mid-fight.

Also after hours of trying to time !Calm spam correctly, I beat Omega for the first time!

I'll probably try to get Shinryu before I start my next run since I've never beaten him either, and I have the means to Berserk/Blind him, I just need to keep trying until the blind actually works :v:.

EDIT:

WOO MY FIRST TRIPLE CROWN

Screw using !Release with an Ushabti, Shinryu's Magic Evasion is way too high. Dark Bow + !Aim works 100% of the time. :cool:

Xad fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 26, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
quick question; which is more useful against neo ex death if i can't survive almagerst or w/e

elven mantle for 33% evade
protect ring for mag defense
reflect ring for possible reflects

is there a point to bumping magic defense up by 10? will it significantly decrease the damage taken by almagerst? my party can't cast shield or wonder wall, and the quick save trick for fighting the movers isn't working anymore after they escaped from me, so i need to evaluate my options again.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Giiilgabooot :argh:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Mustard Iceman posted:

Samurai Faris barely had enough HP to avoid a party wipe on the first Almagest; brought the others back then got lucky with Zerk targeting the Almagest part several times in a row to make sure there wasn't a second casting.

Hoping Gilgabot breaks my Red Mage streak on the next run.

Those are some weird filters you on in your emulator.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Run #2: Thief, Time Mage, Red Mage, Bard.

At least I can break wands. And will be going really fast.

Edit: The first town doesn't sell knives? What kind of bullshit is that? I planned on grinding daggers in the Ship Graveyard anyway but that seems like such a strange choice.

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 26, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

FillInTheBlank posted:

Those are some weird filters you on in your emulator.

super eagle is a crime against humanity.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

hubris.height posted:

quick question; which is more useful against neo ex death if i can't survive almagerst or w/e

elven mantle for 33% evade
protect ring for mag defense
reflect ring for possible reflects

is there a point to bumping magic defense up by 10? will it significantly decrease the damage taken by almagerst? my party can't cast shield or wonder wall, and the quick save trick for fighting the movers isn't working anymore after they escaped from me, so i need to evaluate my options again.

4. Hermes Sandles to help you kill the Almagest part before it uses it. Aegis Shields on your berserker and samurai. Also I'm pretty sure your red mage should be able to use the Wonder Wand to get Shell on someone. All else failing, some teams simply have to bust out a few levels.

Also the whole point of the quick save trick is that it gives you a clean slate and fixed start point on encounter RNG, so it shouldn't matter if they escaped once or not. As a reminder, the process is:

- Quick save in the area you want the rare encounter for (brings you back to main menu)
- Continue, reloading (and automatically deleting) that quick save you just made (not a regular save)
- Get into a fight
- Win or run from it
- Get into another fight
- Enjoy the rare encounter for the area

I think it also only works in the NA version, not the EU version. Could be mistaken.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah my quick save is busted because i didn't select the right kind of memory in the emulator lol

i'm grinding up a few levels in the castle part of the final dungeon, then i'm going to attempt it again with hermes sandles and aegis shield. thanks for the tips!

milk_dud
May 5, 2014
Run number 2 jobs!

Dancer again. And the only time I didn't grab the ribbon in Karnak. Oops.

Anybody know what the earliest ribbon in World 2 is?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

milk_dud posted:

Run number 2 jobs!

Dancer again. And the only time I didn't grab the ribbon in Karnak. Oops.

Anybody know what the earliest ribbon in World 2 is?

There isn't one. No more ribbons til World 3.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Specifically, Ribbons are in:

- Karnak escape (world 1)
- Pyramid (world 3)
- Regole (world 3)
- Phoenix Tower as a rare steal (world 3)
- Interdimensional Rift's forest (world 3)

The Phoenix Tower stolen one is really only for if you want to get it before poking your head into the rift, and/or if you missed the one in Karnak. And in both cases only if you want more than 2-3 people wearing Ribbons at once.

milk_dud
May 5, 2014

Supremezero posted:

There isn't one. No more ribbons til World 3.

Well poo poo :smith:

I guess I don't need it, but still, one less thing to take advantage of.

milk_dud fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 26, 2015

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
So, is the Gil Cave just a big joke that should be avoided at all costs, or is there any way to NOT get my poo poo kicked in after collecting 70 gil from the floor? Time, Red, Geo, Dragoon, World 2, level 30.

If it's just going to be a waste of time, I'll just head to Moore and get this over with. I just wanted to see if there was anything more to this place than a boss-level turtle with 36000 hp and attacks that do north of my max health on everybody, twice in a row, every time.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Isn't carbuncle supposed to be susceptible to catoblepas?

It isn't working for some reason and I'm on the GBA version.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CapitalistPig posted:

Isn't carbuncle supposed to be susceptible to catoblepas?

It isn't working for some reason and I'm on the GBA version.

Nevermind as soon as I finished typing that it worked the next turn.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Leofish posted:

So, is the Gil Cave just a big joke that should be avoided at all costs, or is there any way to NOT get my poo poo kicked in after collecting 70 gil from the floor? Time, Red, Geo, Dragoon, World 2, level 30.

If it's just going to be a waste of time, I'll just head to Moore and get this over with. I just wanted to see if there was anything more to this place than a boss-level turtle with 36000 hp and attacks that do north of my max health on everybody, twice in a row, every time.

GBA? Quicksave and reload right before a fight would trigger rinse and repeat until you reach the end

One more Fartz for the Bucket. No Omega for me today I just don't do enough damage on this run.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 26, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Even when you're not in a fiesta and can min/max your jobs for it, Gil Turtle's still kind of annoying and you only get gil from walking down that hallway. Besides, if you spend any appreciable amount of time in everyone's favorite basement learning abilities, you'll have a shitload of gil from that anyway.

So no, feel free to skip it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cerepol posted:

GBA? Quicksave and reload right before a fight would trigger rinse and repeat until you reach the end

Yeah, I've got the GBA version, but doesn't reloading the quicksave delete it? So if I still get my poo poo kicked in after the quicksave is reloaded then I'm back to the start again regardless. Unless you mean to say the quicksave/reload cycle happens on every tile, and that would effectively eliminate the random encounter with the turtle. I may try it.

Vil posted:

Even when you're not in a fiesta and can min/max your jobs for it, Gil Turtle's still kind of annoying and you only get gil from walking down that hallway. Besides, if you spend any appreciable amount of time in everyone's favorite basement learning abilities, you'll have a shitload of gil from that anyway.

So no, feel free to skip it.

What basement is this? Sorry, I've only played this game this far once or twice before and I've never finished it. I was hoping my Fiesta would be my first successful clear. I'm even trying to avoid missing the missable things for after I finish this run, because I also want to experience the bonus GBA content and I figure once NED is down, and I take a crack at Omega and Shinryu I can safely leave the save aside for later shenanigans with the normal selection of jobs.

I'm not in dire need of gil at the moment, and I've already got about 50k or so after running through Barrier Tower and Ghido's Cave, plus spending a bit of time hitting old men with falling rocks and people before they turn into frogs to build up a few more job points. I'm halfway to dualcast on my Red Mage, who will then promptly and forever become the Time Mage and then I won't bother trying to get dualcast on anyone else because holy poo poo that's a lot of points to do one at a time.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Leofish posted:

Yeah, I've got the GBA version, but doesn't reloading the quicksave delete it? So if I still get my poo poo kicked in after the quicksave is reloaded then I'm back to the start again regardless. Unless you mean to say the quicksave/reload cycle happens on every tile, and that would effectively eliminate the random encounter with the turtle. I may try it.

What basement is this? Sorry, I've only played this game this far once or twice before and I've never finished it. I was hoping my Fiesta would be my first successful clear. I'm even trying to avoid missing the missable things for after I finish this run, because I also want to experience the bonus GBA content and I figure once NED is down, and I take a crack at Omega and Shinryu I can safely leave the save aside for later shenanigans with the normal selection of jobs.

I'm not in dire need of gil at the moment, and I've already got about 50k or so after running through Barrier Tower and Ghido's Cave, plus spending a bit of time hitting old men with falling rocks and people before they turn into frogs to build up a few more job points. I'm halfway to dualcast on my Red Mage, who will then promptly and forever become the Time Mage and then I won't bother trying to get dualcast on anyone else because holy poo poo that's a lot of points to do one at a time.

Bal Castle's basement has a dead end in World 2 where nothing exists except for random encounters with Object D'arts or whatever. They are simple to kill and give 4 AP for 2 or 8 for 5. You can gold needle them for instant death if you want or Level 5 Death them.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

They also give somewhat low experience if you'd rather not overlevel, and decent gil. You can learn a lot of abilities while gaining relatively few levels there.

And I think the quicksave idea with the gil turtle is to use quicksave's other effect of resetting your steps to next encounter. Though I wonder if that applies to the gil turtle as well, since I feel it works differently than your standard random encounter.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Oh, cool. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Just to make sure, there's no way to learn 1000 Needles in the first world without Control, right?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yeah Bal castle basement is great in world two, I spent a few hours there yesterday to max all my jobs out for this run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Just to make sure, there's no way to learn 1000 Needles in the first world without Control, right?

Nope, gotta wait until Pyramid.

• Locked thread