Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

The Quinn situation was entirely the Streisand Effect. IIRC some idiots on reddit were discussing it and suddenly some 10,000 comments were mass deleted, supposedly because Quinn had a guy on the inside. I think it happened on other forums too? Iunno but it was a dumb thing to do.

Kinda like Warner Bros. ceasing production of the Dukes' General Lee merchandise because of a certain flag :mad:

Yeah, it would've been a terrible experience for her even if she'd been smart enough to wait it out, but trying to shut up people who were talking about it made it an order of magnitude worse. You'd think that someone as internet-savvy as her would've been familiar with the Streisand effect.

Also, there's this:

"I miss helldump a little" is from a month after the Zoepost. I'd forgive her for lurking in Helldump if she admitted that it was wrong and she now knows better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

That would be Kingdom Come: Deliverance, I think.

That game actually looks pretty fun if they deliver on the, "Anything can be solved through combat, stealth or diplomacy" thing

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Personally my sticks in #gamergate were free speech and anti-censorship. Ethics in game journalism, while nice, wasn't really a good enough reason to pay attention.

That and I have to admit Brianna Wu's Tweets and McIntosh's Tweets are a sort of cathartic dose of crazy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Let us English posted:

He's a lot more expressive than most gruff protagonists. His entire character arc in the story revolves around his adopted daughter and how his, his partner's, and other adults' decisions do or do not inculcate a sense of responsibility and agency in her. It was one of the best displays of parenthood in a game alongside The Last of Us and far more nuanced than that game.

Nailed it exactly. McIntosh reduced Geralt to being an always angry, always solving problems with violence character. Ignoring the fact that Witcher 3 is a multiple choice storyline where the player controls Geralts actions and the character almost always has a peaceful or violent solution to every encounter. McIntosh's reasoning for this? Because of Geralts voice. :cripes: That rant on his Twitter turned a lot of supporters away and I think convinced quite a few people that FemFrequency is a troll/click bait account at this point.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hadaka Apron posted:

"I miss helldump a little" is from a month after the Zoepost. I'd forgive her for lurking in Helldump if she admitted that it was wrong and she now knows better.

I agree, Helldump was a mistake because it made the average poster here way too self conscious and started the whole Self Loathing Goon trend, which hasnt been dislodged after 8 years and keeps getting worse.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

paranoid randroid posted:

identity politics and, hell, cultural marxism even

Too bad you weren't around when GG put on their :tinfoil: regarding DIGRA and the common core. That was hilarious.

Toplowtech posted:

The 140 characters limit is pretty good at producing sentences that can be easily be quoted out of context for hilarious effect. Also it's cake.

Yup, and it happens all the time which is why it perplexes me that people still do it. Cake lover! :argh:

Powercrazy posted:

Many Youtubers will disclose too. Something like "so and so company sent me this game so I'm going to review it for you." That's it. TB will even overtly refuse to review some games because of his politics, which is also a form of journalistic ethics. It's a minor thing but important to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Yeah, and I mean even I take that with a grain of salt. Mostly it is word of mouth and based on my own tastes. And a lot of times you can wait for the game to come out to see someone playing it if it is for you or not. If you never pre-order anything, you can wait and see. But gamers have no willpower, so pre-ordering is still a thing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

What?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Bholder posted:

gently caress, people take poo poo seriously in this thread.

Bring back hellthread please!

Most of Ralps interventions only served to make Hellthread stronger.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
"Everything is a trope and those tropes are sexist" --Modern game critics

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

unlimited shrimp posted:

Not disagreeing with you, but what would a non-problematic female character look like in a genre as highly stylized as fighting games?

There is no such thing. Assuming you meant "what are the other options available", you could always design characters that don't have sexualized costumes, have figures that aren't improbable hourglasses, etc. because these things are not necessary for good character design. See, for example, in SSF2T alone, how you have body types as diverse as T. Hawk, E. Honda, Dhalsim, and Zangief- but only for men.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dapper Dan posted:

To be honest, I don't give two shits about ethics in game journalism. Its like trying to take the NRA out of Guns and Ammo. It is not going to happen. Besides, if it doesn't stay terrible, how will I laugh at 'games journalists'?

Also, it was recently revealed that less than 3% of people use game reviews to make a purchase. It is all YouTube and word of mouth nowadays. Gaming sites are the walking dead at this point. There's no real point to reforming 'gaming journalism' when it is at the end of its run. I honestly take recommendations for buying stuff in the Games `forum over any reviewer. I can't ever recall buying something based off a game review except to see if it would melt my computer or not.

Yup, pretty much this.

Yeah, pretty much, I think alot of people just want to see gawker and polygon fall which they seem to be doing on their own. As i said in the other thread, Both sides suck. GG is basically /pol/ jr at this point and it kinds of just sits in its own corner playing with itself and listening to whatever libertarian website talks about it. the antis/sjws/anti gamer/whatever you call them are now just running around screaming at what ever game is popular at the moment (witcher 3/ arkham knight/ soon mgs5) and calling it sexist or racist or gross and violent. just look at josh and anita reactions to doom or josh tirade on the esrb. look at the long angry articles over their not being minorities in a polish farytale. I agree with the basic line of their ideals. I want more diverse characters and stories and games. but they want everything to be a vehicle for their train of thought and ideals.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shadoer posted:

Personally my sticks in #gamergate were free speech and anti-censorship. Ethics in game journalism, while nice, wasn't really a good enough reason to pay attention.

That and I have to admit Brianna Wu's Tweets and McIntosh's Tweets are a sort of cathartic dose of crazy.

Brianna Wu is probably the best out of all of this. Between alienating her own employees, killing her dog, attacking other indie game devs, being an arrogant prick, and faking online harassment and lying about having to flee her home, there is a lot of great stuff to read on her Twitter on a daily basis.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Archer666 posted:

It's hosed up, but also not really a problem. Set up a idealized facebook/twitter page for the companies and a more personal facebook/twitter for friends. With privacy settings you can easily manage who gets to see what. There's still a risk of getting your picture backtracked to you, I'll admit that. But I wholeheartedly believe that if you're extremely careful, you have nothing to fear when it comes to getting doxxed.

As someone from a earlier internet generation, it's always a little strange for me when people do their best to put their names out into the internet as much as they can. Also taking facebook/twitter extremely seriously, if this gamergate mess is to be believed. It's the complete opposite of what I was taught about the internet in the day. The fact that we're actually seriously discussing calling the police to arrest people for trolling someone is, to a part of me, completely surreal.

This mess is basically the old and the new internet generations clashing. The old are making fun of the new, who deal with trolls and shitposting in a fundamentally different level.
I've thought about this topic off and on since I took Ralp's offer of Hellthread amnesty and bowed out and I admit I used to tend toward basically the same gut feeling as above. As a lovely old computer nerd, my natural instinct is to say "use the computer better, idiot" in any situation, but that came from an era where even using a computer was a "privilege" in the most traditional sense of the word. At best most people had a lovely computer that wheezed under the strain of connecting to AOL to slowly load a few pages of garbage before they were knocked off the phone by call waiting. Now seemingly everyone has a computer a hundred times more powerful than anything I owned as a kid sitting in their pocket and uses it constantly to poo poo whatever verbal diarrhea comes into their brain out on to the world within a moment's notice, rather than just a handful of guarded, paranoid nerds.

I'm fairly sure that my old attitude of "gently caress 'em, let them be more careful on the internet" is not the smart way to handle this phenomenon, but what should we do about it? I've struggled to come up with even a kernel of a solution that isn't borderline fascist in nature. It's obvious to me that nobody should get harassed to oblivion over anything, let alone a stupid video game. On the other hand, it's also obvious to me that any serious effort to stem the tide is probably going to cause a lot of collateral damage. The general attitude toward that seems to be "so what, I don't agree with those people so who cares if they can talk" which is incredibly dangerous to me.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

Many Youtubers will disclose too. Something like "so and so company sent me this game so I'm going to review it for you." That's it. TB will even overtly refuse to review some games because of his politics, which is also a form of journalistic ethics. It's a minor thing but important to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
If they are producing youtube video in the US they fall under FCC regulations and the Federal Trade Commission decided that YouTubers who are paid by publishers to advertise their games must provide clear, obvious disclosure in videos. "Or else".

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

There is no such thing. Assuming you meant "what are the other options available", you could always design characters that don't have sexualized costumes, have figures that aren't improbable hourglasses, etc. because these things are not necessary for good character design. See, for example, in SSF2T alone, how you have body types as diverse as T. Hawk, E. Honda, Dhalsim, and Zangief- but only for men.

I think there was a bout of claiming big girl designs was some form of fatshaming, but there's been so much discussion of negative body types and costume designs that its all sort of background noise now.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Hadaka Apron posted:

Yeah, it would've been a terrible experience for her even if she'd been smart enough to wait it out, but trying to shut up people who were talking about it made it an order of magnitude worse. You'd think that someone as internet-savvy as her would've been familiar with the Streisand effect.

I don't know, her $3,940.00 a month Patreon worked out nicely for her. (Albeit she's pushing hard for $5000.00 a month)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i uh dont actually uh care about this i just uh hatefollow several dozen people on twitter and observe their every move with one hand poised over ctrl-c in case i spot some epic poo poo to archive in Hellthread South

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Effectronica posted:

lmao, what? I assume at this point you're just having a go at people and messing around.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Well according to a twitter nerd there were, and according to a Bohemian man and the history people he hired they weren't. So I guess the truth is in the middle or something..

Qumans should probably be there along with steppe turks. Though both of those groups would be a hogpog of white to asian looking because their cultures weren't very racially homogeneous at all.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Hadaka Apron posted:

I disagree, the Star Wars prequels were mostly hated but Red Letter Media managed to get popular by doing a really good job of explaining why they were bad.

Haha, holy poo poo.

How about no, they just suck.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CrashCat posted:

I've thought about this topic off and on since I took Ralp's offer of Hellthread amnesty and bowed out and I admit I used to tend toward basically the same gut feeling as above. As a lovely old computer nerd, my natural instinct is to say "use the computer better, idiot" in any situation, but that came from an era where even using a computer was a "privilege" in the most traditional sense of the word. At best most people had a lovely computer that wheezed under the strain of connecting to AOL to slowly load a few pages of garbage before they were knocked off the phone by call waiting. Now seemingly everyone has a computer a hundred times more powerful than anything I owned as a kid sitting in their pocket and uses it constantly to poo poo whatever verbal diarrhea comes into their brain out on to the world within a moment's notice, rather than just a handful of guarded, paranoid nerds.

I'm fairly sure that my old attitude of "gently caress 'em, let them be more careful on the internet" is not the smart way to handle this phenomenon, but what should we do about it? I've struggled to come up with even a kernel of a solution that isn't borderline fascist in nature. It's obvious to me that nobody should get harassed to oblivion over anything, let alone a stupid video game. On the other hand, it's also obvious to me that any serious effort to stem the tide is probably going to cause a lot of collateral damage. The general attitude toward that seems to be "so what, I don't agree with those people so who cares if they can talk" which is incredibly dangerous to me.

Yeah, alot of Antis never learned old rule "dont feed the trolls. And they did, hell alot of them make money of victimbux and patrion pity.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'm glad that people are willing to be racist as long as it comes to defending the sanctity of history by reassuring everyone that Negroes did not penetrate Europe until the last two hundred years.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I think there was a bout of claiming big girl designs was some form of fatshaming, but there's been so much discussion of negative body types and costume designs that its all sort of background noise now.

Would you mind rephrasing your posts, because when I try to read them as they are right now, I find myself involuntarily putting a gun to my head after the second word.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I said come in! posted:

lmao, what? I assume at this point you're just having a go at people and messing around.

I dont quite understand what your picture has to do with what you quoted. Are you tryign to say there arent a bunch of different body types for men in SSFT? They dont all look liek Zangeif

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Zangief's muscle-bound figure is pretty distinct visually from Ryu/Ken/Fei Long/Guile/Bison's figures.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I said come in! posted:

Hmm yeah I wanna play as big titty lady, other big titty lady, or phat rear end lady. Or maybe I play as short skirt girl.

Oh man, I don't wanna play as sumo wrestler, pretty boy, lanky Indian man, or pro weightlifter

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Effectronica posted:

Yeah, it is actually. The character "Bayonetta" does not make decisions, they are programmed into the media she features in. Saying that her outfits are an attack on body-shaming and slutshaming and all that is meaningless, because those are done by women deciding how they dress, which Bayonetta does not do.

Could any game character in any game actually be empowering, if any choice of design or personality can be waved away with "well it's not the character deciding that"?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I'm glad that people are willing to be racist as long as it comes to defending the sanctity of history by reassuring everyone that Negroes did not penetrate Europe until the last two hundred years.

Yes because it's way better to just make up poo poo about history to make us feel better?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sinnlos posted:

Hmm yeah I wanna play as big titty lady, other big titty lady, or phat rear end lady. Or maybe I play as short skirt girl.

This is an absurd stupid rear end thing to say.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I mean theres a lot to be said for Chun Lis design because she was made i 1992 or whatever so the incredibly musclar legs were a semi-daring choice for the time, especially when she was the only female representation in SF2. But its silly to pretend there is a lot of diversity in body shapes.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the antis/skeletons/anti gamer/whatever you call them are now just running around screaming at what ever game is popular at the moment (witcher 3/ arkham knight/ soon mgs5) and calling it sexist or racist or gross and violent. just look at josh and anita reactions to doom or josh tirade on the esrb. look at the long angry articles over their not being minorities in a polish farytale. I agree with the basic line of their ideals. I want more diverse characters and stories and games. but they want everything to be a vehicle for their train of thought and ideals.

Couldn't people just not listen to sarkeesian/quinn/etc, and they won't post your address and threaten you, or drive to your house, or chase you around with a big net

Like, if you say "I'm not listening to you anymore" I understand they will let you leave

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

yeah theres also schoolgirl and bondage whip lady

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Zangief's muscle-bound figure is pretty distinct visually from Ryu/Ken/Fei Long/Guile/Bison's figures.

Except by your own argument earlier, this isn't valid because it's a fictional character. So according to you it only applies to male characters?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Red Suit posted:

That game actually looks pretty fun if they deliver on the, "Anything can be solved through combat, stealth or diplomacy" thing

It will be a nice change of pace from the elder scrolls.

Effectronica posted:

Would you mind rephrasing your posts, because when I try to read them as they are right now, I find myself involuntarily putting a gun to my head after the second word.

It's working, then? Good.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

I mean theres a lot to be said for Chun Lis design because she was made i 1992 or whatever so the incredibly musclar legs were a semi-daring choice for the time, especially when she was the only female representation in SF2. But its silly to pretend there is a lot of diversity in body shapes.

Actually that design came because the guy drawing her had a muscle fetish.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Remember, you can enforce diversity by banning the common element.

This is why we hate white people.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I said come in! posted:

Brianna Wu is probably the best out of all of this. Between alienating her own employees, killing her dog, attacking other indie game devs, being an arrogant prick, and faking online harassment and lying about having to flee her home, there is a lot of great stuff to read on her Twitter on a daily basis.

She is legit crazy and I think everyone knows it by now at this point. Once GG is over, I pretty much think she'll fade away since that is her only claim to fame. Oh, and making an iOS game that took half a million dollars and nearly half a decade to make while it looked like it came out in 1998.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, pretty much, I think alot of people just want to see gawker and polygon fall which they seem to be doing on their own. As i said in the other thread, Both sides suck. GG is basically /pol/ jr at this point and it kinds of just sits in its own corner playing with itself and listening to whatever libertarian website talks about it. the antis/sjws/anti gamer/whatever you call them are now just running around screaming at what ever game is popular at the moment (witcher 3/ arkham knight/ soon mgs5) and calling it sexist or racist or gross and violent. just look at josh and anita reactions to doom or josh tirade on the esrb. look at the long angry articles over their not being minorities in a polish farytale. I agree with the basic line of their ideals. I want more diverse characters and stories and games. but they want everything to be a vehicle for their train of thought and ideals.

As was stated many times in Hellthread, GG is Luigi in Mario Party standing still, doing absolutely nothing while the opponents win the game for him. And also, I have no loving idea how anyone trusts Polygon in the least after that Rock Band debacle where the guy basically admitted to not doing his job and basically telling his editor to go gently caress himself (polygon editors lol).

Their focus on violence is really confusing to me, honestly. That's not a road anyone wants to go down again and they seem really determined to talk about it, which is a huge mistake. But yeah, I want more diverse and interesting characters as well.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I said come in! posted:

Yeah C Viper, Sakura, Chun Li, Cammy, Rose, Poison, ect. aren't sexualized at all you're right.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sinnlos posted:

Yeah C Viper, Sakura, Chun Li, Cammy, Rose, Poison, ect. aren't sexualized at all you're right.

Thank goodness they are, and that Capcom sells character packs, because I enjoy dressing up women with no agency into whatever outfits I desire as if they were my own personal dollies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sinnlos posted:

All female characters need to be fully clothed and can't show any skin what so ever or it's sexist as gently caress and oppressive to women all over the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

I said come in! posted:

Except by your own argument earlier, this isn't valid because it's a fictional character. So according to you it only applies to male characters?

You didn't understand the point of that comment, which is actually important (unlike 99% of Gamergate poo poo, most of which could be figured out with common sense). You can't use a fictional character to claim that character is making 'choices'. The person who made the character is making their choices. If you write a story where a black guy thinks white people are superior and humbly attempts to change black culture to be more like white culture, you can't defend that by saying "See, it's a black guy doing it, so it's fine!". Likewise, that Bayonetta is a female character doesn't mean you can defend her choices as choices made by a female. You can look at how her choices are presented, but not claim they're empowering just because they're being done by a woman, because they're not.

• Locked thread