Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

corn in the bible posted:

a chest that only spawns 1% of the time? loving BRILLIANT, DO IT

"Let's have an ultra-rare Pink Puff enemy with an ultra-rare Pink Tail drop to get the best armor in the game!"

I also hate things like that, but they're been in the series a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Schwartzcough posted:

"Let's have an ultra-rare Pink Puff enemy with an ultra-rare Pink Tail drop to get the best armor in the game!"

I also hate things like that, but they're been in the series a long, long time.

there is nothing like that in lightning returns, and ff4 sucks anyway

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

corn in the bible posted:

there is nothing like that in lightning returns, and ff4 sucks anyway

And Lightning Returns somehow doesn't suck complete chunks?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Onmi posted:

it is really good.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Onmi posted:

it absolutely owns. best ff in years behind ff14 ARR.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Onmi posted:

People have been saying it is a good game for a while now, so yes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm considering making Lightning return once more on my PS3 because I'm kind of fed up of waiting to play it again on PC. The only thing I don't like that much about the game is that some of the weapons are hot pink and don't always look good in hot pink. That's subjective anyway though, so that means LR is actually the best game of all time.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I was under the impression that War of the Lions was compatible with the PSTV, but it refuses to run on mine. Anyone had this issue? The download for it was only 195MB which seems a bit small

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

fruitpunch posted:

I was under the impression that War of the Lions was compatible with the PSTV, but it refuses to run on mine. Anyone had this issue? The download for it was only 195MB which seems a bit small

195MB is alright, it's working on my Vita. FFT was never much of a space-hog to begin with.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So I've been playing FF3 on my Vita against what everyone says and so far it's alright. The lack of save points hasn't really hurt me yet.

I can't help but feel like the game might be better helped by having, like, a simplified Bravely Default job system. Instead of getting all these little skills you just equip the usable abilities and get some of the passives along with it depending on job level... or the FF5 job system wholesale.

That and a real magic system. I don't really like spell stocks.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Healbot posted:

195MB is alright, it's working on my Vita. FFT was never much of a space-hog to begin with.

Weird. It just says it's not compatible and suggests that I update the application.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

fruitpunch posted:

Weird. It just says it's not compatible and suggests that I update the application.

http://vitareviews.net/playstation-tv-compatible-games-north-america/

The NA version of FFT should be working.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Mine's the EU version, I hardly think that's the problem considering I literally can't find mention of it not working for anybody else

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

http://www.vitaplayer.co.uk/list-of-playstation-tv-compatible-games/

Alright, the EU version does not work on PSTV. You're going to need either a Vita or PSP for that I'm afraid.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Ah that's a bit of a balls, alright then, thanks!

Edit: on looking a bit further into it, it seems that basically no FF titles are supported. FFVIII works just fine on my PSTV in spite of that though? LMAO Square you are terrible.

forpush fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 26, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Blade storm makes dw games rocket science in comparison of how easy it is once you get the basic mechanics.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Nier's big problem is that the combat is samey and repetitive and basically perfunctory. There's little effort put into variety outside of the areas where the game changes genres and those are all by their very nature pretty simplistic and basic. There are a billion weapons and spells but little thought put into them. Outside of getting the new weapon types after the time jump there's no real meaningful change in the gameplay, mechanics or style. Some of the boss fights are pretty fun but the actual shade-bashing is dull as hell, especially if you go for sidequests.

This is why Platinum Games Presents Nier is so hype because they basically are custom-made to fix all of Nier's actual gameplay problems because the weaknesses it has are the things Platinum is great at even in their worst games.

This is why it should have been a remake instead of a sequel IMO. Platinum can elevate the gameplay but then Yoko Taro has to follow up on the quality of the original story, and everything else he's done in its orbit is loving awful.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel like people are generally on two sides of Final Fantasy. One side likes the original Final Fantasy's, which all retained core elements while somewhat spicing things up, like materia, or the job system, or Espers, or five party members, some stuff. Then you have the people who like the modern Final Fantasy stuff that break that mold, like Lightning Returns. Lightning Returns, if you fall into that previous definition of what makes a Final Fantasy game, is not a Final Fantasy game. But then, if you take Final Fantasy to be a malleable thing, then Lightning Returns is as much a Final Fantasy as the original Final Fantasy even, as a perhaps unnatural, perhaps natural, endpoint of where Final Fantasy leads and evolved throughout its Final Fantasy career spanning over 20 years of games that all did things a little bit different, gradually getting to the point of Lightning Returns. I woke up 30 minutes ago so I don't know where I was going with this, but I don't like Lightning Returns and I don't really consider it a Final Fantasy game, but you know, that's fine, because it's just one guy's opinion, and people should enjoy what they enjoy in video games.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Gologle posted:

Lightning Returns, if you fall into that previous definition of what makes a Final Fantasy game, is not a Final Fantasy game. But then, if you take Final Fantasy to be a malleable thing, then Lightning Returns is as much a Final Fantasy as the original Final Fantasy even, as a perhaps unnatural, perhaps natural, endpoint of where Final Fantasy leads and evolved throughout its Final Fantasy career spanning over 20 years of games that all did things a little bit different, gradually getting to the point of Lightning Returns.

What crazy forums did you get this from?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Final Fantasy worst at being a Final Fantasy is the original Final Fantasy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FF4-6 can be good and Lightning Returns can be good. There's no rule that says that these two things can't be true.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Is there a common theme in Final Fantasy or is it just a cool name? I think it's the death of magic, but I've only played 4-7 very much.

I tried FFX but I was pretty sure the protagonist was dead or dreaming and lost interest after blitzball.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

bloodychill posted:

FF4-6 can be good and Lightning Returns can be good. There's no rule that says that these two things can't be true.

As it is, they're not both good. But they could be.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Moxie posted:

Is there a common theme in Final Fantasy or is it just a cool name? I think it's the death of magic, but I've only played 4-7 very much.

I tried FFX but I was pretty sure the protagonist was dead or dreaming and lost interest after blitzball.

It's a brand for Square's big JRPGs

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gologle posted:

I feel like people are generally on two sides of Final Fantasy. One side likes the original Final Fantasy's, which all retained core elements while somewhat spicing things up, like materia, or the job system, or Espers, or five party members, some stuff. Then you have the people who like the modern Final Fantasy stuff that break that mold, like Lightning Returns. Lightning Returns, if you fall into that previous definition of what makes a Final Fantasy game, is not a Final Fantasy game. But then, if you take Final Fantasy to be a malleable thing, then Lightning Returns is as much a Final Fantasy as the original Final Fantasy even, as a perhaps unnatural, perhaps natural, endpoint of where Final Fantasy leads and evolved throughout its Final Fantasy career spanning over 20 years of games that all did things a little bit different, gradually getting to the point of Lightning Returns. I woke up 30 minutes ago so I don't know where I was going with this, but I don't like Lightning Returns and I don't really consider it a Final Fantasy game, but you know, that's fine, because it's just one guy's opinion, and people should enjoy what they enjoy in video games.
I'm sorry to break this to you, but Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is a Final Fantasy game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-26-tetsuya-nomura-didnt-realise-he-was-directing-final-fantasy-7-remake

Sounds like SE has really turned a corner on its organisational issues

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I can only imagine the awkwardness he must have been thinking leading up to that "Nomura so what should we do for this?" "Uh... I don't know? Consult the original see what doesn't work anymore?" "Great" Have to think when he finally had the pin drop it was like "Oh that makes so much more sense"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What a laugh!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Beautiful

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
An auspicious start.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:lol: I had a bad day, and needed to read that. Thank you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gonna be like 2018 before anything they mentioned at E3 is out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bet the Sleeping Dogs f2p MMO comes out this year

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Some of the design decisions in XII are absolutely baffling, especially with regards to hunts, rare monsters, and loot.

I might be misremembering, but wasn't there a hunt for an invisible chocobo or something? Or you couldn't see it some of the time because it was a white one in a snowy area?

Also 'the monster raised a paling!' was the most fury inducing thing some of the monsters did.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Even I realize that it's incredibly sad that one of the first things I did after getting a new phone was re-buy Final Fantasy Dimensions.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I bet the Sleeping Dogs f2p MMO comes out this year

I had conveniently forgotten about that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What is the best way to play FF5 and FF6 these days?

I have access to all of the relevant consoles (and phones if the ports are good). I'm also fine with playing them on an emulator.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Andrast posted:

What is the best way to play FF5 and FF6 these days?

I have access to all of the relevant consoles (and phones if the ports are good). I'm also fine with playing them on an emulator.

FFV on GBA, specifically during the Four Job Fiesta. It even has its own thread! I've heard the phone version is decent as well if you want to do it that way.

FFVI I've heard mixed reviews on every version that isn't the original SNES, with particular hate thrown at the phone version. Play it on the GBA as well if you don't mind tinnier music and slightly washed out colors.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It's gonna be like 2018 before anything they mentioned at E3 is out.

I think may be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess they definitely won't make the 20th anniversary. Maybe they can finish the game before the 25th anniversary!