Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liandar
Feb 2, 2011

Effectronica posted:

This is an image of Saint Mauritius, the patron saint of the city of Coburg in Bavaria, Germany. He has been the patron saint of Coburg since the middle ages. He was transformed from an Egyptian man to a black African man in depictions during that time, which happened because people were familiar with the features of black people, in Central Europe, in the Middle Ages, and so could depict them in artwork.

You are mistaking "there was a black person in medieval Europe" with "black people were living in Eastern Europe and were a notable minority", which is important when making a historical game, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Hadaka Apron posted:

Yeah, he's still going strong.

god bless that guy, may he one day discover what a hendo is

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sinnlos posted:

Oh, street fighter's character designs were done by a woman rather than a dude projecting his fetishes and power fantasies?

Bayonettas were. Theres a cute story about how the director wanted glasses on Bayo, and wouldnt shut up about glasses. So she got a little annoyed and put glasses on everyones character designs (Luka has a pair of glasses clipped into his breast pocket, etc)

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I said come in! posted:

lmao you can't be serious.

Is is necessary to show her push up bra? What purpose does it serve? Same with the cleavage revealing outfit of C. Viper, the too-short schoolgirl uniform on Sakura, the long slots on Chun-Li's dress?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

hey can one of you obsessive freakshows at least fill me in if that milo guy is still around trying to radicalize resentful shut-ins

That fucker hit the motherload. Nerds are basically falling over him and once he releases his retarded book about Gamergate he'll make mad bank.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Archer666 posted:

Look man, I love Makoto. I use her a lot. But she's still sexualized. Look up pictures of female karatekas and see what they're wearing under their gi. Now look that Makoto is wearing a bra and the top of her gi is loose.

I like the design anyway, but if you don't see how that might be seen as sexualized then I dont know what to tell you.

Seeing a sports bra is your standard of sexist is beyond loving absurd. I can't believe you are not capable of seeing this.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ralp did good, this thread is much better than the last one.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Liandar posted:

You are mistaking "there was a black person in medieval Europe" with "black people were living in Eastern Europe and were a notable minority", which is important when making a historical game, hth.

I don't think anyone has been talking about a historical game.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dreylad posted:

how many of you posted on 8chan at some point about this?

The goon presence outside of SA mostly consists of LF rejects and AGG folks desperately trying to bend the narrative to their will. Most of the regular goons from Hellthread refuse to engage on Twitter or other sites. Cardboard Box A (Cranboonitz on twitter) and Spacedad are two prime examples of goons who have done lost their mind over gamergate.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sinnlos posted:

Is is necessary to show her push up bra? What purpose does it serve? Same with the cleavage revealing outfit of C. Viper, the too-short schoolgirl uniform on Sakura, the long slots on Chun-Li's dress?

The demographics for fighting games havent shifted an iota from where they began in the 90s, so the purpose is to tittilate all the boys and men playing those games as they are still not popular with women.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

An historical setting. Not a game that attempts to recreate history with magic and dragons and poo poo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

natetimm posted:

The goon presence outside of SA mostly consists of LF rejects and AGG folks desperately trying to bend the narrative to their will. Most of the regular goons from Hellthread refuse to engage on Twitter or other sites. Cardboard Box A (Cranboonitz on twitter) and Spacedad are two prime examples of goons who have done lost their mind over gamergate.

that ignores all the insane pedophiles on whatever SS off-site exists, the pedophiles from badgames, etc. and the pedophiles who went to 4chan and then 8chan. lf had some too I guess

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Red Suit posted:

Ralp did good, this thread is much better than the last one.
Everybody knows the best way to make people shut up is to let them know just how much they're irritating you.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Effectronica posted:

This is an image of Saint Mauritius, the patron saint of the city of Coburg in Bavaria, Germany. He has been the patron saint of Coburg since the middle ages. He was transformed from an Egyptian man to a black African man in depictions during that time, which happened because people were familiar with the features of black people, in Central Europe, in the Middle Ages, and so could depict them in artwork.

I'm not sure what you interpret this to mean, but it really just demonstrates that medieval racial attitudes were just radically different to modern racial attitudes - as well as being quite exceptional.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Seeing a sports bra is your standard of sexist is beyond loving absurd. I can't believe you are not capable of seeing this.

It's not about seeing a sports bra, it's about the context.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

that ignores all the insane pedophiles on whatever SS off-site exists, the pedophiles from badgames, etc. and the pedophiles who went to 4chan and then 8chan.

What do they have to do with gamergate?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Spinning Robo posted:

Ok I think I understand where you stand on empowered video game characters, which is that they are empowered if specifically you say they are. Thank you for the discussion.

There's no such thing as an "empowered video game character:, because they're not real. Meanwhile, people can find Bayonetta empowering, but she does not, as a character, act directly against slutshaming because the player cannot actually decide how she acts or dresses. That was entirely programmed in by Platinum Games. There is no choice there.

Liandar posted:

Saint Mauritius lived during the height of the Roman Empire, and was an Egyptian man. The point is that this belief that Europe was a paradise free of Africans in the Middle Ages is blatantly false, because even sculptors in podunk towns knew what black people looked like well enough to depict them.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dreylad posted:

There's a confusion on this issue. The game the journos are whining about is made by Daniel Vavra, who is attempting to create a historically accurate depiction of middle-age Bohemia because he's from that region. It gets confused with the Witcher 3 a lot because the same journalists and outlet(Polygon) clutched their pearls mightily over it being misogynist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Disinterested posted:

I'm not sure what you interpret this to mean, but it really just demonstrates that medieval racial attitudes were just radically different to modern racial attitudes - as well as being quite exceptional.

I've taken classes in college on medieval societies, and stuff back then was weird to say the least.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Powercrazy posted:

What do they have to do with gamergate?

what does 8chan have to do with gamergate?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You know what, you know better, not-hellthread to talk about what's good for women, without any women involved.

Also video games mean everything and nothing at the same time, they have no effect on real life unless when I say so.

I give this thread 3 hours tops.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Effectronica posted:

I already knew that, because I enjoyed both games. It's not relevant to what I just said. Why there's nobody intelligent yet misguided who cares about this is a mystery for the ages.

Also, whenever a European starts talking about how their racism is so much different from the American kind, I reach for the safety-catch of my pistol.

Yes I know. Also the first African Pope was Victor I. I didn't say there was none period, I said the communities were incredibly small and largely traders and merchants.

But still, then why do you seem to think that these games need to have black people represented even though the population was very small or else they are racist... and somehow the Jews and Gypsies doesn't apply even though they were large oppressed minorities in Europe?

Effectronica posted:

You said that having black people in medieval Europe was "making poo poo up about history to make us feel better", so what does that say about games that feature Europe but with the geography and names changed that still include statistically impossible black people?

I say it's a game.

Just like I think Morgan Freeman's character in "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" was pushing it historically, but he and his character were friggen amazing and it was a really fun movie.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

The demographics for fighting games havent shifted an iota from where they began in the 90s, so the purpose is to tittilate all the boys and men playing those games as they are still not popular with women.

Doesn't excuse it in my mind. Maybe that would change if you didn't have such a strong history of highly sexualized female characters on fighting games. Probably would require changes in fighting game culture as well, but less sexualized designs would be a start.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dreylad posted:

The real question is : Was there any black people in JADE EMPIRE?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Disinterested posted:

I mean, the fact that people could depict black people accurately in Central Europe tells us that they were somewhat familiar with black people, which stands directly in contrast to the idea that black people were so rare it would be anti-historical to have them in a game set in the middle ages in Europe.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dreylad posted:

what does 8chan have to do with gamergate?

No, what do the goon you're talking about have to do with gamergate? Those of us watching and discussing from hellthread have been largely hands-off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

I play these games and afterwards do not go off and masturbate to the female characters. So like I said earlier, kinda, if someone is doing this, or see's it as sexualized, then that is entirely on them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

So why do these critics want to alter the design and creative choices other people make that they don't like, rather then promoting or funding games that are being made they do like? This entire thing is trying to shame people for enjoying things a small subset of left wing puritans don't approve of and trying to coerce developers to bend to the sensibilities of a loud minority, over the heads of people who like things as they are.

nobodys banning your harem games, and you should feel ashamed

people rightfully pointing out the creepy sexual overtones in many games is not a ban. get a grip

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

The real question is : Was there any black people in JADE EMPIRE?

uh yeah, the Black Whirlwind??? hello its right in his name?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

natetimm posted:

No, what do the goon you're talking about have to do with gamergate? Those of us watching and discussing from hellthread have been largely hands-off.

lol

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

I mean, the fact that people could depict black people accurately in Central Europe tells us that they were somewhat familiar with black people, which stands directly in contrast to the idea that black people were so rare it would be anti-historical to have them in a game set in the middle ages in Europe.

You can have a population like the clergy who were typically more educated and traveled depict black people on a church somewhere in Germany and still not have any black people in middle-age Poland.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sinnlos posted:

Doesn't excuse it in my mind. Maybe that would change if you didn't have such a strong history of highly sexualized female characters on fighting games. Probably would require changes in fighting game culture as well, but less sexualized designs would be a start.

Not trying to make excuses, just saying that theres been little interest in the fighting game community even among gaming circles, its very much its own thing with its own culture and game makers pander to it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I said come in! posted:

I play these games and afterwards do not go off and masturbate to the female characters. So like I said earlier, kinda, if someone is doing this, or see's it as sexualized, then that is entirely on them.

Oh, see, I do.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sinnlos posted:

Do you think the fighting game culture wants to change? Have you asked them? Do you think their opinions matter on the subject or do you think the change should be enforced on that community from the outside, if so, how?

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Are there more examples of this artwork that you wouldn't mind providing? With just the one all I can conclude is that the artist his/herself was familiar, not the culture.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Effectronica posted:

Well, it also demonstrates an inability to very adequately differentiate black and middle eastern people, and shows that the primary category for those people was religious. I think to claim that most medieval person knew what a black man looked like is an incredibly spurious claim. You also have to note that the depiction is, by modern standards, somewhat stereotypical at best and gollywoggish at worst. You're also dealing with a more cosmopolitan place in Coburg than, say, Poland.

It's also one example, which does not prove anything.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

are you seriously saying you see nothing sexualized about characters like ivy

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The attitude of "gamers are a formless, hateful, sexist mass that needs to be bent to our ways" doesn't appear to be working too well.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

uh yeah, the Black Whirlwind??? hello its right in his name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Maybe if you count posting in the thread, fine. But interacting with the idiots on Twitter has been largely an AGG thing from the start and those people usually end up melting down spectacularly or getting outed as furries or pedos and shuffling away in shame eventually.

• Locked thread