Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

One of the great things about Arkham Knight is the GPD in general.

The Gotham Police Department is basically your home back. As you progress through the game it gets more and more filled. Guys you captured show up there, items you find are put there, and so-on. And almost all of it has dialogue. Supervillains you capture will bitch at each other, guys in the cages will chatter at Batman, and so-on. Some of it even seems game-sensitive. A friend of mine had mooks laughing about how they kicked his rear end in a fight while I never had it happen.

I had a really cool moment when I walked in and one of the cops standing around was highlighted Riddler informant green. So I interrogate him while the cops nearby start freaking out and pull their guns on Batman. The cop eventually admits it and Batman throws him into a cell. He goes "You can't do this to me, I'm a cop." to which Batman replies "Not anymore."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish Arkham Knight worked at all on PC for any human being so I could play it because it sounds great from this thread :saddowns:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Celery Face posted:

Likewise, Hugo Strange's files say that he's in "perfect physical condition" but when Batman gets to him, he's pretty much helpless. The tapes were all great too but one of the best moments was when Strange asked Penguin whether he's heard of the term "Napoleon Complex."

Anyone who faces Batman is pretty much helpless. Even Superman.

Especially Superman.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

CJacobs posted:

I wish Arkham Knight worked at all on PC for any human being so I could play it because it sounds great from this thread :saddowns:

One of my friends on an AMD card is getting better performance than I am.

I upgraded to a 970 last month and was glad I got Arkham Knight free.

From what I was able to play of the game: I like the ability/upgrade menu layout a good bit; the hexagonal layout is kinda nice, and a lot is available from the beginning, as it would seem, so that'll be good once I can get to playing it more. I'm like about 5, 10 minutes into the actual game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

That's just how superhero comics are. Remember how grandpa Commissioner Gordon in the original Arkham Asylum had forearms about as thick as Harley Quinn's waist?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Arkham games actually take place in the JoJo universe.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Celery Face posted:

Likewise, Hugo Strange's files say that he's in "perfect physical condition" but when Batman gets to him, he's pretty much helpless. The tapes were all great too but one of the best moments was when Strange asked Penguin whether he's heard of the term "Napoleon Complex."

Just because you're in great shape doesn't mean you know poo poo about fighting, much less enough to beat up a techno-karate wizard like Batman.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lord Lambeth posted:

The Arkham games actually take place in the JoJo universe.

"You're already unconscious."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That's fist of the north star
:goonsay:

How many animes have you watched in your life?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Batmobile is super cool in Batman video game. I called it in while a bunch of folks were surrounding me and it crashed through a fence and knocked them all down down and they went running and screaming.

Also Batman's detective vision was updated to show new info

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I dunno, like eight?

But I still should have known better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Also Batman's detective vision was updated to show new info

Finally I can find out if Catwoman really does have a thing for Poison Ivy or not :shepface:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Finally I can find out if Harley Quinn really does have a thing for Poison Ivy or not :getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh believe me there's no confusion there. There never was.

I like the Arkham games because they're pretty much Batman character action games. The free flow combat system is one of the most fun melee combat systems I've ever seen in a game (sorry God Hand). One little thing I like is that all of the special moves have priority targets. The instant takedown special move automatically targets the big guys you have to stun instead of generic mooks if you don't hold in their direction, even if the generic mooks are closer. The weapon disarm, from my experience, also targets guns and stun batons first and then generic melee weapons second. The game just knows what you want to do almost every time, which I appreciate.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Jun 27, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

GCPD HQ in Batman is actually really impressing me. Place is pretty crammed now. Only 50% apparently though. I love how cobbled together all the admin seems. It's all little cardboard-looking signs with stuff like "Penguin Thugs" and "Arkham Knight Militia". I guess it also answers the question of how do all these goons survive outside unconscious, I guess the patrols keep bringing them in.

Also if you go back later you can see the first thug you beat up and he's in a sling, right? If you go back even later he mouths off again, you can get Batman to make a fist at him, and he throws himself out of harm's way. Couldn't get a response on a third visit though.

OH, and one of the story missions I recently did had an amazing bit I really don't want to spoil. But it was great.

muscles like this? posted:

I had a really cool moment when I walked in and one of the cops standing around was highlighted Riddler informant green. So I interrogate him while the cops nearby start freaking out and pull their guns on Batman. The cop eventually admits it and Batman throws him into a cell. He goes "You can't do this to me, I'm a cop." to which Batman replies "Not anymore."

Oh, that was bugging me. I'll make sure to do that next visit.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been learning Italian recently, and I just realised that Don Corneo from FFVII translates as 'Don Horny'.

I really hope this whole sequence is left untouched in the remake.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Jun 27, 2015

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Vargatron posted:

In Metal Gear Solid 2,

Also when you hang from a ledge, you can press R2 and L2 do a pull up. If you do 100 full pull ups your grip strength will increase and you can hang for longer.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

TheMostFrench posted:

Also when you hang from a ledge, you can press R2 and L2 do a pull up. If you do 100 full pull ups your grip strength will increase and you can hang for longer.

Yeah, I remember hearing about it and doing it for the boost in grip strength and thinking "haha, it worked! Surely it will be a valuable asset at some point!"

Nope. It's literally there just because Hideo Kojima is a lunatic and obsessive about putting little things in his games.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

princecoo posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing about it and doing it for the boost in grip strength and thinking "haha, it worked! Surely it will be a valuable asset at some point!"

Nope. It's literally there just because Hideo Kojima is a lunatic and obsessive about putting little things in his games.

Helpful for getting like 1 dog tag.
Not a great use.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Don't forget you need 200 pull ups to max out the grip gauge. And another 200 for the plant chapter!

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Also each pullup took like 3 or 4 seconds each, and you'd get "tired" after a while and have to climb up, then climb back down to reset your grip-meter. To do it took a stupid amount of time.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

princecoo posted:

The VR missions in Subsistence have some missions built almost entirely around the grip mechanic where you're dropping and catching from a bunch of inch-thick bars suspended in a void.

The VR missions are pretty great in general because they show how polished and thoughtful almost every mechanic in the game is above and beyond what could reasonably expected from the base game.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
There were a few places in both the Tanker and Plant where you could hang off a ledge, drop off of it, and catch the ledge below it. Each hang-drop-catch counted for 10 pull ups, if you really wanted to max it out for some reason.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me, but now I'm confident that it's purposeful. In Arkham Knight the faces of people in the billboards and adverts throughout Gotham will be altered to look like the Joker. Rictus grim, pale skin, some altered words. They'll stay that way until you move the camera so that it no longer can see the ad, then it'll change back. This happens after a big story beat, but the game never draw attention to it. You'll just be going about your day and see something out of place in the corner of your eye, but when you look back it'll be normal. I noticed it big-time with the Johnny Charisma sign. Truly a small thing that does a whole lot for the game and my experience with it so far.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LawfulWaffle posted:

I thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me, but now I'm confident that it's purposeful. In Arkham Knight the faces of people in the billboards and adverts throughout Gotham will be altered to look like the Joker. Rictus grim, pale skin, some altered words. They'll stay that way until you move the camera so that it no longer can see the ad, then it'll change back. This happens after a big story beat, but the game never draw attention to it. You'll just be going about your day and see something out of place in the corner of your eye, but when you look back it'll be normal. I noticed it big-time with the Johnny Charisma sign. Truly a small thing that does a whole lot for the game and my experience with it so far.

More than just the billboards are affected...pay close attention to statues and occasionally thugs you're fighting

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The easy listening station in the original Saints Row is one of my favorite things, every open-world crime game has the requisite rock/rap/pop/classic stations but more of them need to let you cause carnage on a massive scale to what sounds like the shopping music from The Sims just for maximum irony and comedy value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6uD0K_w5OM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzs0Ii5aDv4

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It's worth repeating that the best little thing about the Arkham games is the cosmetic damage Batman suffers throughout the game. I feel like I've been playing forever, but I'm only 50% through the main questline, and I just noticed that the Batmobile also accumulates some wear and tear. I wasn't expecting that, and I was just as pleased as I was when I first noticed tears in Batman's cape back in Asylum.

e: Also, goddamn I feel stupid for not trying to take my stuff back from the GCPD evidence room. Halfway through the game without a gadget I could have had from nearly the beginning.

LawfulWaffle has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Jun 28, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

e: Also, goddamn I feel stupid for not trying to take my stuff back from the GCPD evidence room. Halfway through the game without a gadget I could have had from nearly the beginning.

Ha, I did this too. I'd even seen a few of the things to use it on around the city and was impatiently wondering when I'd get it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Those are very nice touches but I wish it was more indicative of your playstyle. In Asylum, I did a lovely non-bat job of it and had a hosed up suit. Tried again as a perfect ninja with no deaths, still hosed up suit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Those are very nice touches but I wish it was more indicative of your playstyle. In Asylum, I did a lovely non-bat job of it and had a hosed up suit. Tried again as a perfect ninja with no deaths, still hosed up suit

All the damage is based off things that happen in cutscenes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He knows that, he was saying that he wishes it was based on gameplay instead.

Sometimes they cheat it a bit, though. Batman's cape becomes scratched and torn up for no real reason after fighting Mr. Freeze in Arkham City for example. It doesn't get torn in the cutscene before the boss fight, it just is torn up when you go back out of the police station. I just got through that section like 10 minutes ago which is why I remembered to mention it!

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Been playing Dark Souls 2 again now that I got Scholar of the First Sin and noticed that in the Gutter, if you happen to take the back entrance into the last area, not only does the fog gate into it stay up, but it actually gives you a different message if you go through it from the other side when you don't have to.

I can't think of any other areas in the game where the fog gate is only kind-of blocking off the next area, so there's really no reason to have the "from behind" on this, but there it is! What a neat touch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's another one in the undead crypt, I think those are the only ones though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ImpAtom posted:

All the damage is based off things that happen in cutscenes.

Yeah, I know. I play Batman in a perfect concert of flipping and punching. Getting punked by some chump in a cutscene ruins my immersion and forces me to write pages and pages on the WB forums about how DARE they not make MY Batman.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm only 25% through Arkham Knight, but I wanted to keep the praise for little details going. Tons of little things like the GCPD stuff that's already been mentioned escaped me entirely. Anyway, early in the game you visit your office at the top of Wayne Tower and you can interact with a bust of Shakespeare - an homage to the Adam West show, which is also in Oracle's clocktower - and it opens a secret compartment with the Batsuit from the previous game. There's also a weapon there that Lucius Fox is working on, and he chides you for spoiling the surprise. Another cool detail is that you can listen to messages on Bruce Wayne's answering machine from Vickie Vale, Lex Luthor, and I think Huntress.

The Arkham games are great for having tons of little details I would never find on my own.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm only 25% through Arkham Knight, but I wanted to keep the praise for little details going. Tons of little things like the GCPD stuff that's already been mentioned escaped me entirely. Anyway, early in the game you visit your office at the top of Wayne Tower and you can interact with a bust of Shakespeare - an homage to the Adam West show, which is also in Oracle's clocktower - and it opens a secret compartment with the Batsuit from the previous game. There's also a weapon there that Lucius Fox is working on, and he chides you for spoiling the surprise. Another cool detail is that you can listen to messages on Bruce Wayne's answering machine from Vickie Vale, Lex Luthor, and I think Huntress.

The Arkham games are great for having tons of little details I would never find on my own.

Batwoman, Kate Kane, who is also his Maternal Cousin
:goonsay:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There's another one in the undead crypt, I think those are the only ones though.
In the windmill, you can drop down from above to the bonfire that is halfway up behind a fog wall. Then you can traverse that one from behind. I got both the Gutter and that one on my first playthrough because behind fog doors, there are bosses, better get the Bonfire first :D.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In Batman: Arkham Knight there are a few small moments where you're playing specifically as Bruce Wayne, not Batman (like at the beginning of Arkham City). Not only do you have a different moveset without the suit, but you can't counter-attack enemies, which I appreciate. It's a helpful reminder that Batman doesn't have some innate supernatural spider sense or something so he can't just magically see attacks coming from behind him; that kind of stuff comes from the suit. Also, there's already a mod for the particularly crapshoot PC version to play as Bruce Wayne in free-roam which is hilarious to me and lets me see his whole moveset!

edit: Someone has pointed out to me that not getting the prompts to counter enemies as Bruce is actually a bug on my end and now I am sad. Giving you a totally different moveset just for Bruce is still cool though considering how little you actually play as him instead of Batman.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:16 on Jun 29, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, in previous games you could counter fine with Bruce, and there's an entire DLC challenge campaign for Origins of Bruce Wayne when he was a League of Shadows trainee just clowning the poo poo out of thugs and ninjas without the suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In other Batman media Bruce is still a world-class martial artist without the suit but he lets himself get beaten up if someone's watching so they don't realize he's more than an airhead billionaire.