Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
If they depicted women in outfits that actually represented professional fighters they would be even more naked and sexualized. Minimal spandex is pretty much the norm in fighting sports, adding that much costume is a cover-up if anything, not a blatant sexualization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I wanted to jump in, but the conversation's moving in so many circles that I fell down and made this lovely post instead

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

natetimm posted:

If they depicted women in outfits that actually represented professional fighters they would be even more naked and sexualized. Minimal spandex is pretty much the norm in fighting sports, adding that much costume is a cover-up if anything, not a blatant sexualization.

Im starting to think the people who make these arguments just dont get aroused by womens clothes that much. Pretty much every outfit worn by every fighting game char is incredibly sexy.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Dapper Dan posted:

Just a friendly reminder to not-hellthread, don't take this as an extremely serious issue. This topic is like the Lovecraft tome of the internet. The longer you stare into it and rant at people, you risk going down the path of cardboard box a and spacedad. Down that path lies madness.

It was tactical genius to pit the kooks of hellthread against the blood-crazed loonies of D&D. This is the royal rumble Tezzor wanted.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

natetimm posted:

I wrestled. Singlets aren't flattering no matter what bits and bobs you have attached, and they are not designed to emphasize sexual characteristics.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Hello nu-hellthread. Let's have another 2000 pages of funposting :yayclod:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

It depends on the region, the time and the setting. Are you aware the game in question hired actual historians (not internet activists) to consult?

Okay, so are you willing to outline the exact regions, times, setttings where it would be a crime against history to have a black person in the game, so that I can make them and hopefully give you a fatal heart attack?

natetimm posted:

If just seeing naked flesh constitutes sexualization to you, you may have a serious sexual dysfunction. Do you get a boner from Botticelli?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

It was tactical genius to pit the kooks of hellthread against the blood-crazed loonies of D&D. This is the royal rumble Tezzor wanted.

lol @ this guy getting the vapors over an effectronica post

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Yes clothing is never used to emphasize sexuality and lead paint is delicious

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

natetimm posted:

Really, we should be demanding that EA & the UFC change their video game representation of the overly sexualized female fighters.

The sexual objectification of Ronda Rousey in this game is atrocious.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

Im starting to think the people who make these arguments just dont get aroused by womens clothes that much. Pretty much every outfit worn by every fighting game char is incredibly sexy.

Yeah they seem to be operating under a bee boop "more exposed flesh=more sexy" approach.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

I dont know man...

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

:golfclap: Homicidal leftists. I love 'em!

There's nothing wrong with saying, on the internet, that you want to murder someone in horrible ways, like the fact that I'm saying that I want to crucify you Roman-style, where you're fed and watered and eventually die from exhaustion and exposure after a matter of weeks, well, that's just on the internet, it's not real. Or it wouldn't be real if I was firmly on the right wing.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

Okay, so are you willing to outline the exact regions, times, setttings where it would be a crime against history to have a black person in the game, so that I can make them and hopefully give you a fatal heart attack?

If just seeing naked flesh constitutes sexualization to you, you may have a serious sexual dysfunction. Do you get a boner from Botticelli?

SO now it's not even an issue of sexualization any more, it's an issue of taste. "Dont show me a frilly boob, show me a spandex boob, I have refined tastes!"

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Effectronica posted:

Okay, the argument here, Disinterested, is over whether having black people in Medieval Europe would be contrary to history and make a game anti-historical. What is your opinion on this question?

Before the 1500's style era, I think it's not inconsistent historically to have a very limited racial presence in terms of characters, although there is scope for inclusion in the context of city life and port/naval life. But this depends on setting - if you're depicting medieval villages in buttfuck nowhere is different to a medieval royal court, and is different again from, say, Italy or Spain or the Eastern Empire where awareness was much greater.

It also doesn't preclude dealing with the Other in non-character contexts: of course, everyone in Europe knows who Moors are vaguely, and that other religions exist, and has quite possibly been told something about them in a church setting.

I'm generally for the inclusion of more rather than fewer POC in games, though, I just think the best way would be to do it by exploring the differences in the way different people see Others in different times and situations.

So with the Witcher example, I think Nilfgaard is an enormous wasted opportunity. I think you miss the chance to see how when a big multi-ethnic empire invades a small provincial kingdom, the big empire can be cosmopolitanising as well as oppressive, particularly when you take in to account the fact that the Nilfgaardian empire is not a direct emulation of Germany, but actually includes Roman references. The Empire will use the harnessed economic and military power of its subject peoples to kick your poo poo in, and it will possibly have a more expansive and inclusive idea of Others than your small kingdom, albeit one geared towards conquest.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Archer666 posted:

I dont know man...

King is a babe.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
please do not drag king down to the level of this thread, thanks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Unfunny Poster posted:

Really, we should be demanding that EA & the UFC change their video game representation of the overly sexualized female fighters.

The sexual objectification of Ronda Rousey in this game is atrocious.

Hmmm yes you're right an actual woman choosing to dress a certain way so as to better participate in a combat sport is the same as a dude drawing a fight lady in a short skirt

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Meme Emulator posted:

GG has largely dissolved aside from a large contingent of diehards on 8chan, and the antis are just shadowboxing with twitter trolls at the moment. Since teh antis have increasingly had fewer and fewer people to fight with theyve just started yelling loudly to anyone who will listen.

It hasn't dissolved so much as everyone involved with it has gotten kind of bored and they aren't posting about it as much, mainly because there just isn't much left to talk about. Also, a few GGers actually got jobs as a result of this (most notably Lizzyf620 and Jennie Bharaj) so they have something else to occupy their time now.

Meme Emulator posted:

Just because the genre is popular doesnt mean the games themselves are worthy of praise. If a hidden object game were ever rolled out with the charm, or the humor, or the production values of something liek Phoenix Wright then it might be a different story.

Those games are almost 100% shovelware.

Modern AAA FPS games are also almost 100% shovelware, but those get plenty of promotion.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The onyl King worth talking about wears a tiger mask and does wrestling moves.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Effectronica posted:

This is an image of Saint Mauritius, the patron saint of the city of Coburg in Bavaria, Germany. He has been the patron saint of Coburg since the middle ages. He was transformed from an Egyptian man to a black African man in depictions during that time, which happened because people were familiar with the features of black people, in Central Europe, in the Middle Ages, and so could depict them in artwork.

People in Europe knew there are some black people there somewhere from biblical stories, the early depictions in paintings and sculptures from 12th century or so are very interesting though, because a lot of artists apparently have never seen an African in person until late 1400s.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 26, 2015

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Effectronica posted:

Alright, but can you name a time in Europe before the 18th century where a black person could go to Europe and not be hassled with the following questions

"Did a gypsy put a curse on you to make you black?"

"Are you a witch?"

"You must be a worshiper of the moon god Muhammad! Please accept Christianity!"

"Are you a savage from the south?"

"Are you a Turk?"

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

There's nothing wrong with saying, on the internet, that you want to murder someone in horrible ways, like the fact that I'm saying that I want to crucify you Roman-style, where you're fed and watered and eventually die from exhaustion and exposure after a matter of weeks, well, that's just on the internet, it's not real. Or it wouldn't be real if I was firmly on the right wing.

Ave, true to Caesar!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Literally The Worst posted:

Hmmm yes you're right an actual woman choosing to dress a certain way so as to better participate in a combat sport is the same as a dude drawing a fight lady in a short skirt

Those filthy men drawing and oppressing imaginary women!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I mean sure there are a lot of sexualized streetfighter characters, but apparently one of the ones that isn't, actually is? :confused:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

SO now it's not even an issue of sexualization any more, it's an issue of taste. "Dont show me a frilly boob, show me a spandex boob, I have refined tastes!"

Do you think that the Birth of Venus was meant to give someone a boner? Or every time a Madonna and Child shows Mary nursing, you were meant to spank it to her exposed breast?

Disinterested posted:

Before the 1500's style era, I think it's not inconsistent historically to have a very limited racial presence in terms of characters, although there is scope for inclusion in the context of city life and port/naval life. But this depends on setting - if you're depicting medieval villages in buttfuck nowhere is different to a medieval royal court, and is different again from, say, Italy or Spain or the Eastern Empire where awareness was much greater.

It also doesn't preclude dealing with the Other in non-character contexts: of course, everyone in Europe knows who Moors are vaguely, and that other religions exist, and has quite possibly been told something about them in a church setting.

I'm generally for the inclusion of more rather than fewer POC in games, though, I just think the best way would be to do it by exploring the differences in the way different people see Others in different times and situations.

So with the Witcher example, I think Nilfgaard is an enormous wasted opportunity. I think you miss the chance to see how when a big multi-ethnic empire invades a small provincial kingdom, the big empire can be cosmopolitanising as well as oppressive, particularly when you take in to account the fact that the Nilfgaardian empire is not a direct emulation of Germany, but actually includes Roman references.

Okay, well I agree that there's nothing wrong with having a game where there aren't any black people that's set in Medieval Europe. :)

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Pyromancer posted:

People in Europe knew there are some black people there somewhere from biblical stories, the depictions in paintings and sculptures are very interesting though, because a lot of artists apparently have never seen an African in person until late 1400s or so.

Similar thing in art happened with China.

You basically had a bunch of artists attempting to depict what China was like with never having seen it and only going off the stories travelers whom claimed to have visited it told.

They came up with some pretty funky stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Those filthy men drawing and oppressing imaginary women!

Noted retard natetimm responding to arguments nobody made, at 11

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

Do you think that the Birth of Venus was meant to give someone a boner? Or every time a Madonna and Child shows Mary nursing, you were meant to spank it to her exposed breast?

Okay, well I agree that there's nothing wrong with having a game where there aren't any black people that's set in Medieval Europe. :)

Why do you think camp and video games were designed specifically for masturbation? Is there a hobby you have you would like to share?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally The Worst posted:

That image is of a video game character designed specifically in that way by a mostly male video game design team, not someone in real life.

Please tell me you can tell the difference, or have video games gotten so realistic you can't? :ohdear:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

INH5 posted:

Modern AAA FPS games are also almost 100% shovelware, but those get plenty of promotion.

Yes but the genre was given legitimacy by previous good titles. Something like that doesnt exist for hidden object games

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

I don't believe there is a female equivalent character to E. Honda, Rufus, and Hugo. I don't think the Ivy's and Chun Li's should go away, but I would be totally down for playing a lady Rufus.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Shadoer posted:

Similar thing in art happened with China.

You basically had a bunch of artists attempting to depict what China was like with never having seen it and only going off the stories travelers whom claimed to have visited it told.

They came up with some pretty funky stuff.

I especially like how they drew animals they never saw.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Unfunny Poster posted:

That image is of a video game character designed specifically in that way by a mostly male video game design team, not someone in real life.

Please tell me you can tell the difference, or have video games gotten so realistic you can't? :ohdear:

That SVU episode was a documentary.

Tell Your Children!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Unfunny Poster posted:

A video game character that is literally just not real person Ronda Rousey, totally the same as a bunch of dudes going yeah and then this lady should have big tits and a short skirt

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

Why do you think camp and video games were designed specifically for masturbation? Is there a hobby you have you would like to share?

That's not what I said. I'm starting to suspect that you're angry and mentally handicapped.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Weird. It looks like you're saying something really stupid and condescending. Can you give five reasons why someone shouldn't dome your worthless rear end right now?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shadoer posted:

Alright, but can you name a time in Europe before the 18th century where a black person could go to Europe and not be hassled with the following questions

"Did a gypsy put a curse on you to make you black?"

"Are you a witch?"

"You must be a worshiper of the moon god Muhammad! Please accept Christianity!"

"Are you a savage from the south?"

"Are you a Turk?"

Various Spanish kingdoms, because they had a huge Moorish population. Then by extension France because they were Spain's next-door neighbor. I'm willing to give you most of the German states though.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Hadaka Apron posted:

I especially like how they drew animals they never saw.

There are very accurate drawings that are done of animals not seen by the artist, too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ronda Rousey also super owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liandar
Feb 2, 2011

Effectronica posted:

You are going to get fat with having all this cake and eating it too, you know. who am I kidding, you are most likely fat already

• Locked thread