Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Effectronica posted:

That's not what I said. I'm starting to suspect that you're angry and mentally handicapped.

Every single post you have made in this thread is calling someone who doesn't agree with you, mentally handicapped. It's almost as if I was 110% correct about you be a literal child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

That's not what I said. I'm starting to suspect that you're angry and mentally handicapped.

Weird. It looks like you're saying something really stupid and condescending. Can you give five reasons why someone shouldn't dome your worthless rear end right now?

Stop harassing us! We're going to leave our homes in fear!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Weird. It looks like you're saying something really stupid and condescending. Can you give five reasons why someone shouldn't dome your worthless rear end right now?

Effectronica posted:

You're supposed to meet effort with effort in this forum

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

Every single post you have made in this thread is calling someone who doesn't agree with you, mentally handicapped. It's almost as if I was 110% correct about you be a literal child.

Stop signing your posts

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Effectronica posted:

Do you think that the Birth of Venus was meant to give someone a boner? Or every time a Madonna and Child shows Mary nursing, you were meant to spank it to her exposed breast?

I took 3 Art History classes in college, so I feel I am qualified to say that yes, the Birth of Venus was absolutely intended to give people boners. Madonna and Child probably not officially, since Mary is basically the mascot for "Mother Church," but it would not surprise me if some of the artists intended them that way because, seriously, Renaissance painters were a bunch of perverts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

natetimm posted:

Stop harassing us! We're going to leave our homes in fear!

I'm triggered right now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I am curious, however, under what circumstances a "sexualized" character would be acceptable if created by a female, uh, creator. Everyone seems to be bouncing back and forth between the fictional/not fictional thing and I don't see any actual criteria getting talked about.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

That is exactly what I am doing. None of those posts had effort put into them. I'm sorry you are unable to recognize that.

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.
I refuse to play the next street fighter game unless at least one of the new characters in the next version is a wheelchair bound obese woman of color suffering from dwarfism. Anything beyond the sort will be all different kinds of "-ists" that I will have to tweet incessantly about and blog about and...

Someone will have to explain to me why there is all this weird "protective" argumentation surround whether or not it is harmful to individuals or groups for Chun Li in SF to have C cups versus B cups or whatever. The outrage is very stupid. The reaction to "video game big boob harm" is stupid but less so because Chun Li having a nice rack is not the reason people play SF.

God damnit the last thread was funny and talking about this seriously really saps the fun out of it. loving with Bon and Tezzor and Autist/AK were the highlights. Ah well. Goodbye old friend.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

turnways posted:

I don't believe there is a female equivalent character to E. Honda, Rufus, and Hugo. I don't think the Ivy's and Chun Li's should go away, but I would be totally down for playing a lady Rufus.

I too would appreciate that. Lack of stylistic options is a poison in the video game industry. Unfortunately it affects almost every aspect of it. Take the "indie" games scene full of walking simulators that all same some sort of student film "deep" message blatantly spelled out for you. It's be nice if occasionally walking simulators had something interesting happen in them.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Hey, so what's D&D's take on Feminist Frequency being hijacked by her male writer and driving the proverbial car off the cliff in an anti-violence tirade like some sort of Thelma and Louise tribute?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Terrible Opinions posted:

I too would appreciate that. Lack of stylistic options is a poison in the video game industry. Unfortunately it affects almost every aspect of it. Take the "indie" games scene full of walking simulators that all same some sort of student film "deep" message blatantly spelled out for you. It's be nice if occasionally walking simulators had something interesting happen in them.

I dump the blame directly on the back of Dear Esther. That game proved that you do not need to do anything interesting, or anything at all, to get the twitter indie tastemaker clique to heap praise on your game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

I am curious, however, under what circumstances a "sexualized" character would be acceptable if created by a female, uh, creator. Everyone seems to be bouncing back and forth between the fictional/not fictional thing and I don't see any actual criteria getting talked about.

I remember reading somewhere that either the concept artist, or 3d model artist at Platinum Games and working on Bayonetta, were female employees.

The character Quiet, in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, was created by a female employee at Konami, although the idea for her was created by Kojima.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

poptart_fairy posted:

This is irrelevant because people are talking about overall contexts. Individual characters are really not particularly important.

KongMu posted:

I refuse to play the next street fighter game unless at least one of the new characters in the next version is a wheelchair bound obese woman of color suffering from dwarfism. Anything beyond the sort will be all different kinds of "-ists" that I will have to tweet incessantly about and blog about and...

Someone will have to explain to me why there is all this weird "protective" argumentation surround whether or not it is harmful to individuals or groups for Chun Li in SF to have C cups versus B cups or whatever. The outrage is very stupid. The reaction to "video game big boob harm" is stupid but less so because Chun Li having a nice rack is not the reason people play SF.

God damnit the last thread was funny and talking about this seriously really saps the fun out of it. loving with Bon and Tezzor and Autist/AK were the highlights. Ah well. Goodbye old friend.

Why would having a wheelchair-bound character be bad in a fighting game? That sounds like a fun character to play. Similarly for a character with dwarfism. Seems like you do care that your female characters be sexy, even if you're not hosed-up enough to care about their precise measurements.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

natetimm posted:

Hey, so what's D&D's take on Feminist Frequency being hijacked by her male writer and driving the proverbial car off the cliff in an anti-violence tirade like some sort of Thelma and Louise tribute?

You cannot hijack something you own from the beginning.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I believe it's entirely possible to make a successful, compelling game that features women and minorities portrayed in a non-sexist, non-racist way, with a rich and diverse story, that would make the game industry progress in a meaningful way while garnering the sympathy of gamers and being a commercial success. It is unfortunate that instead of pushing for such a game to be made, well-intentioned people instead decided to pour their money and support to antagonistic talentless hacks, whose main skill was berating and smearing their would-be audience on twitter with baseless insults and stirring drama.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

This is irrelevant because people are talking about overall contexts. Individual characters are really not particularly important.

So what context would be acceptable then? I see so many people insisting "that doesn't count because they're fictional" but I've yet to see anyone tackle what does count.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

I dump the blame directly on the back of Dear Esther. That game proved that you do not need to do anything interesting, or anything at all, to get the twitter indie tastemaker clique to heap praise on your game.

See all the people upset that Tale of Tales is closing down, despite making nothing but garbage games.

Effectronica posted:

Why would having a wheelchair-bound character be bad in a fighting game? That sounds like a fun character to play. Similarly for a character with dwarfism. Seems like you do care that your female characters be sexy, even if you're not hosed-up enough to care about their precise measurements.

Wasn't their a cripple doctor in Tekken 2? He was a cool dude to play as, same thin for the midget dinosaur.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

natetimm posted:

Clearly this deranged man can't represent Anita's views. Is she possibly working with him under duress?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

Play as Modok in MVC2. It's pretty close to what you're looking for and funny to boot.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

poptart_fairy posted:

So what context would be acceptable then? I see so many people insisting "that doesn't count because they're fictional" but I've yet to see anyone tackle what does count.

Id say its ok in a game designed for men intended to be a power fantasy. The problem is thats also 99% of the other games out there.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Prav posted:

Clearly this deranged man can't represent Anita's views. Is she possibly working with him under duress?

His viewpoints have popped up under her name, identical in everything down to the grammar - stuff that then quickly disappears from his own twitter, etc. It seems way too nose to just be a case of two people sharing similar opinions.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

poptart_fairy posted:

Is the game dealing with sexuality? Go for it. Hell, even in a fighting game you can have someone with a bit more cleavage showing, just don't exaggerate and emphasize sexual characteristics for the sake of titillation on every single character, or even most characters. To me, at least, the gender of the creator and creations doesn't really matter.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I don't think you're going to find much pushback from hellthreaders on the idea of more variety in video games, but I do think you're going to find pushback from them if your way of going about it is nitpicking the gently caress out of things that already exist and demanding they be changed.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

poptart_fairy posted:

The context that people want, for fighting games, generally, is one in which there are sexualized and non-sexualized female characters, and female characters with a variety of body types. That is, something that exists for male characters already.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
hooman, this is gonna suck way more than hellthread, isn't it. :(

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Totalizator posted:

I believe it's entirely possible to make a successful, compelling game that features women and minorities portrayed in a non-sexist, non-racist way, with a rich and diverse story, that would make the game industry progress in a meaningful way while garnering the sympathy of gamers and being a commercial success. It is unfortunate that instead of pushing for such a game to be made, well-intentioned people instead decided to pour their money and support to antagonistic talentless hacks, whose main skill was berating and smearing their would-be audience on twitter with baseless insults and stirring drama.

Pretty much. Fact is no one is stopping people from doing this and there definitely is an indie base for people to do this if they want. Trying to be the morality police and pressure companies to have the correct amount of minorities and presentation of genders is simply counter-productive.

And of course, giving money to talentless hacks that claim to fight for these issues and then end up creating games like Revolution 60 with their thin, well endowed women wearing skin tight body suits isn't helping either.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

KongMu posted:

I think it goes: Men create and see fantasy based on their desires = men demand that fantasy play out in real life = women culturally forced to conform = bad.

I think the first part is healthy. Fantasies are healthy. They're natural, you can't help it. People want what they want. Don't try to police what people are privately attracted to (unless it's kids or animals); that's terrible and you sound like those anti-gay preachers or a fedora neckbearded rear end in a top hat trying to convince his lesbian friend to give dick a try.

It's the second part that's dangerous. I believe culture is pushing towards trying to force those fantasies on people. And I don't think that should be the case.

Though, women create their own fantasies, just culturally it isn't as enforced on men as men's fantasies on women.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

I don't think you're going to find much pushback from hellthreaders on the idea of more variety in video games, but I do think you're going to find pushback from them if your way of going about it is nitpicking the gently caress out of things that already exist and demanding they be changed.

so you agree that things are bad and need to change, just so long as nobody talks about it and nobody criticizes anything and the status quo goes on as usual

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

His viewpoints have popped up under her name, identical in everything down to the grammar - stuff that then quickly disappears from his own twitter, etc. It seems way too nose to just be a case of two people sharing similar opinions.

Well it's no doubt that it's McIntosh writing it, but I don't see any particular reason to think that Anita particularly disagrees since she keeps letting him use FF to do so.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

Pretty much. Fact is no one is stopping people from doing this and there definitely is an indie base for people to do this if they want. Trying to be the morality police and pressure companies to have the correct amount of minorities and presentation of genders is simply counter-productive.

*legislation to change things about to pass* this is the wrong way to do things! people should work within the free market system instead!

*people pressure companies to meet political goals* this is the wrong way to do things! people should work within the free market system instead by creating their own content!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Can we still derail this thread to talk about the Elder Scrolls Franchise?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

VJeff posted:

This is just like the original gamergate thread.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Any actual game developers around here willing to vouch for the problem of sexuality in video games?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Anita Sarkeesian has some pretty drat gentle and well-expressed criticism but it got people into such a frothing rage that they latched onto the bad ex-boyrfriend letter and the Firefly celebrity Tweet and are still, like a year later, talking about the Gamergate. It just goes on and on, even though the relatively simple idea that video games, as an industry, have some problems with women and could stand to adjust, both for moral reasons and to incorporate new audiences, should be the easiest thing in the world to agree about.

The pissing and moaning about "social justice warriors" and the endless, effortless "I'm triggered" jokes (which, no matter where you stand, have become so tired and old that only the most boring people make them anymore) would be the most pathetic thing if the word "pathetic" did not imply pity, which I can no longer have for these ghouls.

Here is a video game character who was the earliest participant in Gamergate:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

It wouldn't. You can have whatever character you want in a fighting game. But not all fighting games need to have all possible characters. Nor should there be any obligation to include black characters or whatever in any given game.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

VJeff posted:

Hellthread was only good when it was twitter.jpg

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Prav posted:

Well it's no doubt that it's McIntosh writing it, but I don't see any particular reason to think that Anita particularly disagrees since she keeps letting him use FF to do so.

Well she seems to be burning alot of bridges of late.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Bedlamdan posted:

Gotta phrase it right. "Lydia's follower AI was purposefully programmed to be dumb because she's a woman, and that's sexist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Bedlamdan posted:

Boob plate is dumb as gently caress but TES is cool and alright

• Locked thread