Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

*legislation to change things about to pass* this is the wrong way to do things! people should work within the free market system instead!

*people pressure companies to meet political goals* this is the wrong way to do things! people should work within the free market system instead by creating their own content!

Yeah criticism is one thing and fine, legislation to enforce things on art would be. Unless I miss understood what was meant by "legislation to change things."

Still, what's so hard about just making art with these "progressive views"? Right now it's the easiest it's ever been to create art and reach a vast number of people and it's cheaper too.

Shadoer fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

natetimm posted:

It's ham-handed corporate bullshit of the least effort possible to try and cash in.

While true, this could also describe about 90 percent of the writing and creation for superhero comics and the media based on them, so as long as it's going to be low effort corporate bullshit, it may as well be inclusive.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

hey somebody post something about echo chambers so i can get a bingo here

You need at least 4 to make a bingo, idiot.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Bicyclops posted:

You actually need someone to use the term "hugbox" to really score (as well as the "Stop triggering me" joke, but we have that covered about ten times over already).

I'm not of the mind that everyone who disagrees with me is some sort of puritanical member of the cult of identity politics, but I will bring attention the the few that are.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

I'm saying it doesn't matter. The music industry found this out in the late 19th century. For entertainment, targeting demographics is pointless.

Okay Negativo McWrongshit

I said come in! posted:

I watch a lot of game trailers and I can't recall a single one where I felt that it was specifically targeting men. They were entirely gender neutral marketing material.

We've already established that you're an idiot, stop beating that horse.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

turnways posted:

Natural flat armor makes way more tactical sense; it flattens and hides the body shape and offers nice, thick protection. Boob plate conforms and enhances the human silhouette; it's entirely useless (and even detrimental) as armor but as an aesthetic choice it makes sense to stimulate an emotion, which is something art is intended to do. It depends on what the goal is for each game and there is absolutely room for both.

This is probably the most acceptable form of female chest/upper body armor around.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I said come in! posted:

Anita needs to make that clear then. Both her and McIntosh pretend the FemFreq Twitter account is all Anita's.

Well, she lets him post on the account, so we have to assume that she believes the same things. Would have been a hilarious shitstorm if McIntosh posted his 'escapism is right wing' insanity. Shame.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

You need at least 4 to make a bingo, idiot.

free space, motherfucker

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shadoer posted:

thought police.

:lol:

Being critical of something, even loudly, is not "the thought police."

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tifa is a sterotype too. Yes shes the buxom babe but she also falls into the childhood friend niche. Yuffie Is, idk, a teen with unbuttoned shorts. Sharas a subservient meek wife. Scarlet is an evil dominatrix type. Elena is... actually Elenas not very sexualized at all and her character type doesnt fall into any of those sterotypes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Shadoer posted:

Gee, it's almost like the best solution is to just create that content as opposed to creating the thought police.

The thought police aren't the ones arresting good thoughts, trust me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

Okay Negativo McWrongshit

We've already established that you're an idiot, stop beating that horse.

You've yet to produce an ounce of evidence that shows i'm wrong. I'm not obligated to do the thinking for you.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Unfunny Poster posted:

This is probably the most acceptable form of female chest/upper body armor around.

I always thought of sexualized armor as vanity armor, like truck nuts for the empowered amazonian

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hey somebody post something about echo chambers so i can get a bingo here

You already did.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

If you like that you would really get a kick out of the menkampf plugin http://menkampf.com/.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

You've yet to produce an ounce of evidence that shows i'm wrong. I'm not obligated to do the thinking for you.

The game where oorah manly man shoot a bunch of dudes is not targeted towards any one particular audience, as evidenced by the fact that there are women who play it, this is a thing you're saying and it's wrong

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Bicyclops posted:

While true, this could also describe about 90 percent of the writing and creation for superhero comics and the media based on them, so as long as it's going to be low effort corporate bullshit, it may as well be inclusive.

Replacing old characters is inherently exclusive though, because it requires someone to be eliminated. There shouldn't be a Spider-Man of a new race, there should be a new character altogether introduced through his book that spins off into its own IP. Cannibalizing your already existing lineup and refusing to actually diversify is a terrible, short-sighted strategy that I'm not at all surprised has wormed its way into nearly every corporate culture out there.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Aeris definitely had a type, as in she was a wish fullfillment character. She was the pure flower that you will get to pluck one day.

Well not Aeris specifically since she gets killed and reabsorbed into the lifestream before anyone has a chance to gently caress her, but you know what I mean.

Probably, but thing is that type and arguably others aren't that explored in games. Movies and TV shows more so with the whole "Girl Next Door" trope.

Effectronica posted:

Aerith is a sexualized character in Final Fantasy 7. She's not thought of as an example because the translation seems to impair people's ability to remember what the characters were actually like, but she's the most sexualized female character in the entire game.

... okay? So are you saying in the original Japanese she was constantly trying to seduce you or something?

Cause I'm pretty sure in the FF7 sexualization race Tifa wins.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

KongMu posted:

I refuse to play the next street fighter game unless at least one of the new characters in the next version is a wheelchair bound obese woman of color suffering from dwarfism. Anything beyond the sort will be all different kinds of "-ists" that I will have to tweet incessantly about and blog about and...

this thread is real loving dumb but it's hilarious to me that of the list of "so ridiculous" things that'd never show up in a fighting game you have dwarfism. like woah so crazy there'd never be a short person in a fight game who is cool as heck

bring back kliff

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The game where oorah manly man shoot a bunch of dudes is not targeted towards any one particular audience, as evidenced by the fact that there are women who play it, this is a thing you're saying and it's wrong

No it's not. I don't give a gently caress how much that triggers you, i'm never going to think what I said was wrong. There is zero evidence to support what you are saying.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

natetimm posted:

I think gay, black and latino characters should be new IP with their own freshly-written backgrounds instead of reboots of old, already established characters. Also, if they're going to retcon current characters as gay or a different race, I think more effort should be put into it as a passing of a torch to a new character from the old one instead of *poof* "so and so is latino now!" It's ham-handed corporate bullshit of the least effort possible to try and cash in. Diversity means new stuff, not changing old stuff, especially when the old stuff is still liked.

I think you're talking past me a bit. So suppose the Kyle Rayner gets a black sidekick. Then months or years down the line when they decide he's going to retire, or change into a different hero, or die like all the green lantern iterations before him the pass the torch to this black sidekick. Would you have problem with that?

edit: Well I apparently haven't been keeping up with DC comics enough. Apparently they already something like this but in a way that looks really dumb.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

You've never played COD with girls before?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

God help the miserable motherfucker that dares to criticize the analyses of a culture critic, though.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

free space, motherfucker
Well, if it's a 5x5 grid you still need 4. Unless it's 4x4 and the free space is off centre?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im gonna speak for Effectronica ebcause im a jerk, and assume that theyre referring to Aeris being a prostitute

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Why not? Why does the fact that women like CoD mean that it can't have been targeted towards men? Is it because you were dropped on your head as a child?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

You've never played COD with girls before?

That wasn't the part I was saying was wrong, numbnuts

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Confederate flag is not targeted towards whites because I know some black dudes that wear it too.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

That wasn't the part I was saying was wrong, numbnuts

I'll be the first to admit that the conversations going way faster than the previous thread, normally I'm on my seventh WWE photo by now!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

free space, motherfucker

You don't understand bingo. Why do you defend identity politics?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why not? Why does the fact that women like CoD mean that it can't have been targeted towards men? Is it because you were dropped on your head as a child?

Maybe if you spent more time reading the thread instead of acting like a angsty teen on Tumblr, you would have saw that I said CoD is not targeting men, because it isn't. There is nothing in the marketing material to suggest it is. Activision goes way out of its way to create ads that show women in them playing their games.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bicyclops posted:

You're just critical, sure. The tumblr freaks who make people lose their jobs because someone said something 'problematic' on twitter and they got his real name? Not so much. This is the thought police being talked about here.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Shadoer posted:

Probably, but thing is that type and arguably others aren't that explored in games. Movies and TV shows more so with the whole "Girl Next Door" trope.

... okay? So are you saying in the original Japanese she was constantly trying to seduce you or something?

Cause I'm pretty sure in the FF7 sexualization race Tifa wins.

aeris hits on cloud relentlessly for the first third of the game

idk if thats what youre looking for when it comes to """sexualized""" but w/e

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

Maybe if you spent more time reading the thread instead of acting like a angsty teen on Tumblr, you would have saw that I said CoD is not targeting men

I did see that, and you're still a loving idiot

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

Criticism is fine, when it goes to attacking people who like something you don't is where I draw the line. I'm cool with twitter people tweeting all day how X is sexist and Y is problematic and Z is totally gross. It's when they start demanding content be censored, changed or removed because it offends them and aggressively dogpiling anyone who dares defend it.

I think it's fine if someone likes DoA and it's fine when someone gets a half-chub looking at Poison Ivy's tits or whatever. Saying that there isn't a game for people who just want practically dressed women beat the crap out of each other is also a legitmate complaint. It's just I don't see the reason of group B going to group A's sandcastle and kicking it over because they don't get to have one, rather then making one themselves.

so you're upset about twitter slapfights

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think banning historical games with the Confederate flag in them is profoundly stupid, unless it's something like "The War of Northern Aggression 2: Lee's Revenge".

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

The Confederate flag is not targeted towards whites because I know some black dudes that wear it too.

I have yet to see a Confederate flag commercial, unless you're talking about a Dukes of Hazzard merchandise thing.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah criticism is one thing and fine, legislation to enforce things on art would be. Unless I miss understood what was meant by "legislation to change things."

Still, what's so hard about just making art with these "progressive views"? Right now it's the easiest it's ever been to create art and reach a vast number of people and it's cheaper too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"Maybe if you read my posts you'd see that I said the thing that you're saying is wrong!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Meme Emulator posted:

Yes but the genre was given legitimacy by previous good titles. Something like that doesnt exist for hidden object games

Do you know this from experience, or are you just assuming that no good HOPA games have ever been made because girl stuff has cooties?

I mean, I've never played any of those games either. I just think it would be an astonishing coincidence if the only genres that have ever had good games made for them just happened to be the genres that more men than women like.

turnways posted:

Though, women create their own fantasies, just culturally it isn't as enforced on men as men's fantasies on women.

Yeah, because no guy ever lifted weights in an attempt to become more attractive to women, or bought expensive gifts for his girlfriend because that's just what guys are supposed to do.

Also, the fashion industry, which is dominated by gay men and also some women, is far more responsible for unrealistic female beauty and weight standards than anything produced by and for straight men. So focusing on cheesecake video game/comic book art and men's magazines seems kind of off target.

You could say similar things about the male standards that I mentioned, as those stereotypes seem to be propagated much more by predominately male cultures whereas female targeted romantic comedies and the like often feature lower class bohemian-esque men as the romantic interest. A not inconsiderable amount of female targeted romantic fantasy works make the guy outright effeminate; see for instance how many times Twilight's Edward, who is adored by millions of women worldwide, has been called "gay."

Meme Emulator posted:

Im talking about games where it would make sense and be acceptable to have a busty bimbo or w/e. I wasnt speaking directly about Street Fighter. However, If you think people do not tailor thier game and marketing of the game to the demographics they are persuing then youre an insane person. I shouldn't even have to say that they do. Of course they do, theres a million assholes in marketing divisions around the world crunching these numbers. People get fired for not meeting demographics, Spike TV notoriously fired one of the people they had in charge of scheduling when CSI reruns pulled in a huge female audience which the advertisers were not paying for.

You're absolutely right that some games are made to appeal to certain demographics (for example, HOPA designers have said that they make their games really colorful because that's a style that a lot of women like), but all the evidence is that they generally tend to try to pull in more of the demographic that the genre already appeals to. Again, Mass Effect made a big deal out of giving the player the option to play as a fully voiced female character but it still ended up with a player base that was more male-dominated than GTA V.

• Locked thread