Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Did you see The Marked Ones? It was a spinoff unrelated to the core numbered movies and it was easily the most fun of any of them.

It's actually the only one I haven't seen, since I was feeling pretty burned out after 4. I'll give it a shot this weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Did you see The Marked Ones? It was a spinoff unrelated to the core numbered movies and it was easily the most fun of any of them.

Haunted Simon supremacy.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is no possible way The Ghost Dimension is going to be bad.

:agreed:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Marked Ones had a great ending. This series has a genuinely good first movie then a bunch of fun sequels. This last one looks loving great.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Everybody is going to want a limited edition Ghost Dimension™ 80's shoulder camera after this film.

Because how else are they supposed to see ghosts?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm excited for it in a way I haven't been excited for a Paranormal Activity movie since the first. I still think that one was a legit masterpiece, and this one's probably not going to have nearly the same level of bleak clarity, but it looks incredibly fun.

I think it's underappreciated exactly to what degree the first PA is an effective film. Much like Blair Witch Project, a lot of subsequent FF films gild the hell out of the lily assuming you'll be bored. PA makes no such concession. There is no sex (although the series on the whole is in love with Katie Featherston's breasts), there is no action per se, there are no effects, really. The movie has you sit still for 80 odd minutes for someone walking up the stairs in boots and a door slamming. It's a masterclass in mood and tone and dread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 25, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The first legit gave me chills for a few days after. It's so goddamn effective of scaring by not showing and letting your mind fill in the blanks.

I pictured a giant, hairy demon walking through the house and loving poo poo up.

It was actually upsetting to know it was just a spooky man ghost or whatever.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think it's underappreciated exactly to what degree the first PA is an effective film. Much like Blair Witch Project, a lot of subsequent FF films gild the hell out of the lily assuming you'll be bored. PA makes no such concession. There is no sex (although the series on the whole is in love with Katie Featherston's breasts), there is no action per se, there are no effects, really. The movie has you sit still for 80 odd minutes for someone walking up the stairs in boots and a door slamming. It's a masterclass in mood and tone and dread.

If we're just talking about the craft of the film (I really enjoy the anti-patriarchal subtext as well, but that's a different post and one I've already made), something it does incredibly effectively is work with cycles of tension and release. The sequels are concerned with worldbuilding and subverting your expcations to a greater extent, which has its appeal I guess, but Paranormal Activity is absolutely ruthless in its focus on cyclical build-up. Even when poo poo's at its most demonic, the daytime is a relatively safe (if increasingly scarred) territory, while the nighttime ramps up and up and up, at a very deliberate pace. I saw it in a packed theater when it first came out and so many people would just start moaning versions of "oh no" every time a nighttime title card came up. It got people churning with anxiety just by turning out the lights, again and again.

It, along with James Wan's haunted house filmography, are the prime examples for why backlash against the concept of jump scares is so woefully misinformed. When the structure works, it works.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I watched Insidious 1,2 and The Conjuring for the first time last week those movies are sooo good.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Heroes: Reborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNHB90si0es

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh....oh no.

memorieeesssss

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 26, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That soulpatch nearly stopped me from being able to play the video and now I wish it had. I like the lame copycat San Andreas trailer music trend, if you get what I'm trying to say.

WHERE ARE THE HEROES????

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Why? Why why why why? Nobody has particularly fond memories of that series beyond the first season, and being the most generic of comic book premises that they could easily have done something new that wouldn't instantly turn off half their target audience.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

That soulpatch nearly stopped me from being able to play the video and now I wish it had. I like the lame copycat San Andreas trailer music trend, if you get what I'm trying to say.

That trend has been a thing since the The Social Network trailer.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Noxville posted:

Why? Why why why why? Nobody has particularly fond memories of that series beyond the first season, and being the most generic of comic book premises that they could easily have done something new that wouldn't instantly turn off half their target audience.

Same thing DC/Warner are doing, trying to get in on that sweet Marvel money.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hasters posted:

Same thing DC/Warner are doing, trying to get in on that sweet Marvel money.

It's baffling that they think the Heroes brand warrants a reboot, not that NBC is making a superhero show.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh man. I had hope, I actually had hope, and then like running into a wall it all hit me, just how bad it's likely to be. The stilted acting. The dumb kid in highschool plots. The Time travel plots that make no drat sense.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv554B7YHk4

Love me some Michael B Jordan. This looks great

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BlueBayou posted:

Looks surprisingly not like poo poo. I was skeptical on hearing about this a while back, even with MBJ attached, but that trailer looks solid. I'm in.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Jordan Brand Rocky cosplay cracked me up, though

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

morestuff posted:

The Jordan Brand Rocky cosplay cracked me up, though

Haha, yeah that was a bit goofy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah they were doing just the right blend of "Rocky nostalgia" v. "Michael B. Jordan could sell this movie entirely on his own" until then.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BlueBayou posted:

First Avon killed Wallace, now he's warning Wallace about getting killed.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

BlueBayou posted:

Holy gently caress this looks terrible.

Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm81LSKJC2k

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I really was expecting this to be poo poo. I think it looks good. I'm weirdly excited about this now.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I think I like the Rocky movies more than the average person, so maybe my opinion is tainted, but I thought Creed looked great. Can't wait.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Not sure how anyone expected Creed to look bad given the talent behind it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

leokitty posted:

Not sure how anyone expected Creed to look bad given the talent behind it.

The premise was what was dumb to me.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

The premise was what was dumb to me.

If someone had told me the premise before seeing that trailer I would've written it off. Looks good though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I pretty much wrote Creed off from the premise initially, it sounds like a weird rumor and not an actual movie. That said, it could kick rear end.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

second-hand smegma posted:

First Avon killed Wallace, now he's warning Wallace about getting killed.

Good to see I wasn't the only one who thought of this:

loving hell that reminds me of how good The Wire was and still is

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If they wanted to truly update the Rocky story they should have made him an MMA fighter :getin:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BlueBayou posted:

Holy poo poo. This looks fantastic. Also God bless them for using the best song of the new Lupe Album.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dexo posted:

Holy poo poo. This looks fantastic. Also God bless them for using the best song of the new Lupe Album.

I was thinking the same thing. That's a fine trailer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hakkesshu posted:

If they wanted to truly update the Rocky story they should have made him an MMA fighter :getin:

That would literally be the worst thing ever.

And that trailer is badass. Very excited.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hakkesshu posted:

Warrior already exists and it's amazing.

BonoMan posted:

That would literally be the worst thing ever.

Nah it's awesome.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MY old boss at WB did that trailer. He loves his hip hop, did 42 with Jay-Z and the Gangster Squad trailer with rap as well. He's fighting the good fight against conservative WB cues.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Having to sell someone on using Heart of the City is a crime.

Edit: never mind, mixed that up with American Gangster.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

kiimo posted:

MY old boss at WB did that trailer. He loves his hip hop, did 42 with Jay-Z and the Gangster Squad trailer with rap as well. He's fighting the good fight against conservative WB cues.

He's doing a drat good job because those trailers were easily better than the movies.

(42 was all right, but its trailer is amazing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Steve Jobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEr6K1bwIVs

• Locked thread