Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jindal

quote:

"The Supreme Court decision today conveniently and not surprisingly follows public opinion polls, and tramples on states’ rights that were once protected by the 10th Amendment of the Constitution. Marriage between a man and a woman was established by God, and no earthly court can alter that. This decision will pave the way for an all out assault against the religious freedom rights of Christians who disagree with this decision. This ruling must not be used as pretext by Washington to erode our right to religious liberty. The government should not force those who have sincerely held religious beliefs about marriage to participate in these ceremonies. That would be a clear violation of America’s long held commitment to religious liberty as protected in the First Amendment. I will never stop fighting for religious liberty and I hope our leaders in D.C. join me." - Bobby Jindal, via press release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Why aren't candidates being more quiet about this? I feel like pushing back against marriage equality will really come back to bite a nominee in the general.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kro-Bar posted:

I feel like pushing back against marriage equality will really come back to bite a nominee in the general.

That's not going to be a problem for Huckabee.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Kro-Bar posted:

Why aren't candidates being more quiet about this? I feel like pushing back against marriage equality will really come back to bite a nominee in the general.

You don't see Bush speaking out, now do you?

See? The next president is clean.

Edit: guess he has now. Well, then that leaves Pataki. #patakimentum

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 26, 2015

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I was reading the Obergfell decision and noticed that Mike Huckabee Policy Solutions filed an amicus curiae brief.

They put in the mission statement for the group, and it's nuts, especially with regards to the judiciary:

quote:

End Judicial Supremacy: The errant doctrine
that the First Branch and Second Branch of the U.S.
Government must obey any and every decree of the
Third Branch, no matter how plainly absurd, evil or
anti-Constitutional it may be (see below).

He also called for Boehner to cut the budget of all Article III courts, like what they threatened to do in Kansas.
http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/55614-56214-57114-574bsacMikeHuckabeePolicySolutions.pdf

Edit: Rubio's statement was pretty weak, I can't see this being used against him in the general -

quote:

"People who disagree with the traditional definition of marriage have the right to change their state laws. That is the right of our people, not the right of the unelected judges or justices of the Supreme Court. This decision short-circuits the political process that has been underway on the state level for years."

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 26, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Martin O'Malley was actually at the Supreme Court for the decision, but somehow didn't manage to get on TV.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a moderate as hell response from Jeb

"jeb posted:

“I also believe that we should love our neighbor and respect others, including those making lifetime commitments,” he said. “In a country as diverse as ours, good people who have opposing views should be able to live side by side. It is now crucial that as a country we protect religious freedom and the right of conscience and also not discriminate.”

"marco posted:

“I believe that marriage, as the key to strong family life, is the most important institution in our society and should be between one man and one woman. People who disagree with the traditional definition of marriage have the right to change their state laws. That is the right of our people, not the right of the unelected judges or justices of the Supreme Court. This decision short-circuits the political process that has been underway on the state level for years.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Where does your guys' x-mentum stuff come from anyway? Like, who was this first candidate whose name actually portmanteaued with "momentum"?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Chwoka posted:

Where does your guys' x-mentum stuff come from anyway? Like, who was this first candidate whose name actually portmanteaued with "momentum"?

Joe Lieberman, when he got in a three way tie for third place in the 2004 NH Democratic primary declared that his campaign had "Joementum".

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I was going to say Bush Elder but I think he just coined it for electoral races.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Ahh the Clinton camp back to their old tricks I see.

Well, they don't have a minority running in their own party I guess.

Not true. We have a woman running.

Speaking of, have any of the Democrats spoken up yet? Other than O'Malley failing to get on TV.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Guardian asked the Trump campaign to release his birth certificate and, so far, the campaign has refused.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

a moderate as hell response from Jeb

Not as moderate as it seems - the "religious freedom" thing is basically a reference to laws that would allow businesses to discriminate against gay people, like the one they recently attempted to pass in Indiana (and that Jeb enthusiastically supported).

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

The Guardian asked the Trump campaign to release his birth certificate and, so far, the campaign has refused.

I love professional trolling.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

spacing in vienna posted:

Not true. We have a woman running.

Speaking of, have any of the Democrats spoken up yet? Other than O'Malley failing to get on TV.

She has a bunch of other tweets about it too.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Hillary opposed same sex marriage in 2008.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Miltank posted:

Who gives a poo poo? People change their minds and politically untenable positions become viable. The US changed for the better today, don't drag this into another "But why didn't they make it PERFECT, they're horrible cynical shills for only making a GOOD change, the sell-out frauds."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Miltank posted:

It's been...7 years? Stop smearing her with the past!

Don't make me post Chelsea's Mom goddamnit.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Miltank posted:

So did Obama?

Even Biden did too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.conventionofstates.com/

It begins!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Miltank posted:

Anywhere from one-third to half of people who support same-sex marriage today opposed it in 2008.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Golden Bee posted:

Don't make me post Chelsea's Mom goddamnit.

Why are you threatening to torture some folks ? :ohdear:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Miltank posted:

As did Obama. Between 2004 and 2008 most states enacted constitutional amendments to prohibit it.

This has really been a seismic shift, practically unprecedented in speed. Whether or not they truly believe in SSM, they're both canny enough to know where history's headed and have adjusted accordingly. Or, they actually took a close look at it and changed with the nation.

Either way, it's clear where they stand now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Trabisnikof posted:

So did Obama?

Even Biden did too.

Actually, I bet all three of them were in favor of it, but couldn't say so for political reasons. Especially Obama since he'd actually came out in favor of gay marriage when he was a state legislator in Illinois. It's just a sad case of the perfect being the enemy of the good.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
more realistically they didnt care all that much and were possibly in favor of it, but just went with whatever polled well

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

more realistically they didnt care all that much and were possibly in favor of it, but just went with whatever polled well

I don't even think most of the Republicans hate gay marriage as much as they say. Santorum, Huckabee, Romney, the real religious ones, probably yes. But I doubt Bush or Rubio really care.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Where is Ted Cruz

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
What was fun was Dubya campaigning in 2004 that he would ban same-sex marriage whike Cheney would try to avoid the question because his daughter is a lesbian.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Skwirl posted:

Actually, I bet all three of them were in favor of it, but couldn't say so for political reasons. Especially Obama since he'd actually came out in favor of gay marriage when he was a state legislator in Illinois. It's just a sad case of the perfect being the enemy of the good.

We know for a fact that Obama has been for it at least since 1996, Axelrod admitted that his opposition was purely a political thing and not actually his personal position.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Would JEB! have been able to marry his Mexican girlfriend in 1974 if not for Loving v Virginia (only 7 years earlier!)? Might help explain his less-than-firely rhetoric regarding the evolution of "traditional marriage."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Star Man posted:

What was fun was Dubya campaigning in 2004 that he would ban same-sex marriage whike Cheney would try to avoid the question because his daughter is a lesbian.

It's really fun to think that Dubya won in 2004 partially because of that, and just 12 years later it will likely be a pretty big handicap for the Republican nominee. That's why Bush and Rubio are trying to thread the needle of "respect everyone, but support states rights."

Just to double check, before today gay marriage was banned in Florida, right?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Skwirl posted:

Just to double check, before today gay marriage was banned in Florida, right?

No, that ban was overturned in January.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

Would JEB! have been able to marry his Mexican girlfriend in 1974 if not for Loving v Virginia (only 7 years earlier!)? Might help explain his less-than-firely rhetoric regarding the evolution of "traditional marriage."

According to Wikipedia he would not, unless Texas had got rid of it's anti-miscegenation on it's own, which doesn't seem likely.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Skwirl posted:

According to Wikipedia he would not, unless Texas had got rid of it's anti-miscegenation on it's own, which doesn't seem likely.

I think Texas's law applied only to Blacks marrying non-Blacks. But I'm too lazy to look up the exact wording.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Can you imagine the complete and total clusterfuck that a constitutional convention would cause?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I think Texas's law applied only to Blacks marrying non-Blacks. But I'm too lazy to look up the exact wording.

Wow, southern whites had a nice little fascist police state going there. No wonder they're pissed since the 60s.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bpower posted:

Wow, southern whites had a nice little fascist police state going there. No wonder they're pissed since the 60s.

Well, they're the only state I know of that fought 2 wars of independence over the right to own slaves.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I saw a line in there about California lumping Hispanics in with white people, but it didn't seem clear for other states. Obviously the emphasis was on screwing over black/white couples in particular, but it seems overly broad enough to extend beyond that in some states.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In that time period, and considering how she looks, Jeb's wife would probably be "white enough" for a Texas marriage license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also Bernie Goetz.

Rock and roll and cola wars!

• Locked thread