Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

This sort of represents the fundamental misunderstanding that people who use words like "SJW" and "tumblr" repeatedly have regarding media criticism, which is that pointing out its issues is "trashing" it or there is a call for it all to be thrown into the garbage. It is particularly funny that Sarkeesian is such a focus of this disdain, given that she explicitly opens literally every video with an acknowledgement that it's possible, and even necessary, to be critical of a work's more pernicious aspects and still enjoy it.

There is of course the other extreme, where people are so incapable of accepting different interpretations of the levels of sexism in a work that they scream at Joss Whedon until he is run off of Twitter, but far more common is the idea that if we ever acknowledge or discuss any problem, we hate the thing that we're talking about, leading to paragraphs long choruses of "Why are we even discussing this?" (often before the topic even comes up).

My main gripe with Anita has always been that she puts out videos for "discussion" but I have yet to see her actually discuss her topics with anyone. Give us a Jon Stewart / Bill O'Reilly rumble auditorium for video game sexism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I didn't realize it was possible for a thread to be worse than hellthread but here we are

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yes, it appears as though you did

Alright then. Errors have been made

Effectronica posted:

She's constantly flirting with Cloud even in the translation. Tifa has a more sexual costume, but Aerith is the character that is most sexual overall. (In the remake, this will shift because we can see less stylized designs all the time instead of in the few FMVs.)

Alright I guess I missed most of that when I originally played the game. Still, I'd say these are different types of women guys find attractive. Arguably the flower girl that hits on you and is very covered up shouldn't be as attractive as a well endowed martial arts girl who is also hitting on the main character.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Actually it's about butt hurt sexists in video game fandom.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

INH5 posted:

Yeah, because no guy ever lifted weights in an attempt to become more attractive to women, or bought expensive gifts for his girlfriend because that's just what guys are supposed to do.

As a guy I definitely feel the pressure to do those things, but I don't think there's as much pressure as is on women. I mean, it's not a huge difference in pressure, but the edge definitely still goes towards women on being pressured slightly more to do greater things to attract a mate. Eating disorder statistics, I believe, are skewed slightly more towards women than men.

I also don't think it's inherently wrong to want to do something to be attractive to others, or even feel some pressure to do it. It's when you get into the territory of causing self-harm and terrible self esteem that you're doing damage, and I think when unattainable fantasies are being pushed as the norm (even if they're not being accepted as such) it's a bad thing.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

The problem here is that GG doesnt have any real people to mock outside of Milo Yianopolous and I guess that one Moldbuggian guy since its an anonymous movement.

Meanwhile everyone on the anti side is posting about this poo poo with thier real names and theyre easier to mock.

There is still time for a GG member to also get jaw surgery performed on a real-doll as well. I remain hopeful.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

natetimm posted:

Thor installments that actually conflicts with the already hugely popular Thor and Avengers movie properties.

You've never actually read or scene anything Thor (marvel) related, have you?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Why are female characters sexualized, then, guy who intimates he's a woman but never actually commits to saying it?

Because they are women, duh.

If it is female, it is in someone's fetish, henceforth it is sexualized.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

My main gripe with Anita has always been that she puts out videos for "discussion" but I have yet to see her actually discuss her topics with anyone.

http://bfy.tw/XJk

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

the most important civil rights issue of our time: tumblrites vs. channers

i love how everyone focuses on tumblr but just kinda ignores the fbi investigation that is the chans

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

Effectronica posted:

This is irrelevant because people are talking about overall contexts. Individual characters are really not particularly important.

Why would having a wheelchair-bound character be bad in a fighting game? That sounds like a fun character to play. Similarly for a character with dwarfism. Seems like you do care that your female characters be sexy, even if you're not hosed-up enough to care about their precise measurements.

Nah not really, but you can assume all you want about me all the same. You seem to have bad opinions on things. And you are free to have your own bad opinions about what would be a good character design for a fighting game. I won't kink shame. I promise.

turnways posted:

I think it goes: Men create and see fantasy based on their desires = men demand that fantasy play out in real life = women culturally forced to conform = bad.

I think the first part is healthy. Fantasies are healthy. They're natural, you can't help it. People want what they want. Don't try to police what people are privately attracted to (unless it's kids or animals); that's terrible and you sound like those anti-gay preachers or a fedora neckbearded rear end in a top hat trying to convince his lesbian friend to give dick a try.

It's the second part that's dangerous. I believe culture is pushing towards trying to force those fantasies on people. And I don't think that should be the case.

Though, women create their own fantasies, just culturally it isn't as enforced on men as men's fantasies on women.

I understand your sentiment, and would agree, I just fail to see what impact Chun Li's enormity of boobage has on forcing a fantasy on another. Especially a commonly held fantasy by both men and women. I think I agree with half of what you are saying, but I guess my opinion lies somewhere else. I don't necessarily agree that culture is this inescapable, mind altering force. I guess I believe more in free will of the individual. I think we all know many women who refuse to conform to the culture they are "forced to conform to" or presented with, as well as many men. Or those that pick and choose aspects that they like and leave the others. Maybe I am once again misunderstanding the actual problem or argument, though. I'm not a regular D&D type person on the internet and therefore do not have the extensive knowledge to the arguments and depths thereof, of which both sides of the same argument have become so deeply entrenched in.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Shadoer posted:

Alright then. Errors have been made

Alright I guess I missed most of that when I originally played the game. Still, I'd say these are different types of women guys find attractive. Arguably the flower girl that hits on you and is very covered up shouldn't be as attractive as a well endowed martial arts girl who is also hitting on the main character.

Tifa and Cloud never really connect romantically until after the events at Mideel, which would be an entirely different part of the game from when Aeris is hitting on you at the start. So maybe people just forgot about Aeris because they didnt happen at the same time.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

She should've taken Milo's offer.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

Okay, this guy clearly doesn't want to discuss in the discussion forum. Take him out back, give him his lead ration, and bring in the next guy.

Dreylad posted:

i love how everyone focuses on tumblr but just kinda ignores the fbi investigation that is the chans

Somebody (Powercrazy?) was going on about how great 8chan is earlier.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To be fair, she won't talk about her video game discussions with anyone, especially on the internet. Her Youtube channel has comments turned off, and she ignores all comments on Twitter or through e-mail on her website.

Effectronica posted:

Okay, this guy clearly doesn't want to discuss in the discussion forum. Take him out back, give him his lead ration, and bring in the next guy.

What did he say that was not true? That is what you have been arguing the entire time.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

many johnnys posted:

it's a funny plugin because the only people who go on about "SJW" stuff are weirdos and dummies, and also skeletons are inherently silly. whereas suggesting a plugin that replaces "men" with nazis and stuff I have no idea what you were even trying to do

Outrage culture is no laughing matter.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

She should've taken Milo's offer.

it's a pretty bad move to get into a spite debate with someone who on the record thinks you're a stupid bitch who is destroying society

kind of a bad faith argument there. like if i was gay and a skinhead was waving a nazi flag talking about how all queers need to die, it's probably not a good idea to go engage him in polite and reasonable debate

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bholder posted:

Lol yea, Im sure the japanese character designers just accidentally slotted all these chars into easily exploitable sterotypes 100% by mistake. There definately isnt a rich and horney culture of describing at length the exact ways in which a woman dresses to get you off over there.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Powercrazy posted:

But people who complain about it are.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

To be fair, she won't talk about her video game discussions with anyone, especially on the internet. Her Youtube channel has comments turned off, and she ignores all comments on Twitter or through e-mail on her website.

there are other, better ways to converse with human beings than over youtube comments. you should try it out sometime

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I'm just following the logic you've been dictating.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Dreylad posted:

Tumblr is just home of team SJW and their far left wing echo chamber, there's nothing truly special about it otherwise.

8chan is effectively the internet equivalent of Rapture and we are all holding our breath to see what becomes of this "free speech zone".

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Effectronica posted:

Somebody (Powercrazy?) was going on about how great 8chan is earlier.

jesus loving christ.

I said come in! posted:

yeah I have no idea why she disabled the insanely rational and reasonable forum of youtube comments. that really lowered the level of discussion surrounding the Issues.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

so the nature of capitalism to consume itself for a buck is actually liberals fault, for because they hate male nerds?

Capitalism doesn't inherently hate anyone, it just follows the money. Unfortunately, the current nature of our capitalism values short term cash right now over long term growth, even when the benefit of the latter is staring them right in the face. The golden age monetarily for comics was the 90s, and it was because people were willing to do crazy poo poo like kill off major character or put them on the back burner for new projects. Even though Rob Liefeld was a terrible artist, The New Mutants and X-Force sold like loving gangbusters with a shitload of new characters and IPS (lots of whom were female or minorities). Nobody wants to take the risks any more because there's a small amount of easy, short-term money being made simply retreading old bullshit and calling it progressive. Make no mistake, this sudden appeal of progressive ideals for capitalism isn't some sort of shift in the views of the public, it's the devouring and spitting out of a new market demo by the same old people. When they're done selling you feminist t-shirts made in sweat shops and cynically overexposing every one of your entertainment IPs to death, they will move on to the next thing and leave the whole "social justice" crowd in their dust.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Powercrazy posted:

it is :)

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
The entertainment industry being immune to market segmentation has got to be one of the dumbest things I've seen argued here in a long time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Shadoer posted:

Tumblr is just home of team SJW and their far left wing echo chamber, there's nothing truly special about it otherwise.

8chan is effectively the internet equivalent of Rapture and we are all holding our breath to see what becomes of this "free speech zone".

lmao

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

Actually it's about butt hurt sexists in video game fandom.

Thanks for your valuable input

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Lol holding panels with people that agree with you (ie: echochamber) doesn't help progress your cause. She is poo poo at debate, so she doesn't. She's awful at progressing feminism but she's not an idiot

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Her Youtube channel has comments turned off

oh man what a loving loss to discourse

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

there are other, better ways to converse with human beings than over youtube comments. you should try it out sometime

Hell, she doesn't even need to engage, but give others a chance to discuss it with each other at the source. It doesn't matter if that ends up being a cesspool. Humanity is largely a cesspool anyways.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

it's a pretty bad move to get into a spite debate with someone who on the record thinks you're a stupid bitch who is destroying society

kind of a bad faith argument there. like if i was gay and a skinhead was waving a nazi flag talking about how all queers need to die, it's probably not a good idea to go engage him in polite and reasonable debate

Who would be neutral ground for her then? Erik Kain? David Pakman? Gabe Newell?!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

What did he say that was not true? That is what you have been arguing the entire time.

No it hasn't. I've actually explicitly said things that directly contradict that. You are simply delusional and should be drugged to the gills and then hung by the neck until you are dead.

That's "outrage culture", right there!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

Capitalism doesn't inherently hate anyone, it just follows the money. Unfortunately, the current nature of our capitalism values short term cash right now over long term growth, even when the benefit of the latter is staring them right in the face. The golden age monetarily for comics was the 90s, and it was because people were willing to do crazy poo poo like kill off major character or put them on the back burner for new projects. Even though Rob Liefeld was a terrible artist, The New Mutants and X-Force sold like loving gangbusters with a shitload of new characters and IPS (lots of whom were female or minorities). Nobody wants to take the risks any more because there's a small amount of easy, short-term money being made simply retreading old bullshit and calling it progressive. Make no mistake, this sudden appeal of progressive ideals for capitalism isn't some sort of shift in the views of the public, it's the devouring and spitting out of a new market demo by the same old people. When they're done selling you feminist t-shirts made in sweat shops and cynically overexposing every one of your entertainment IPs to death, they will move on to the next thing and leave the whole "social justice" crowd in their dust.

why do you believe feminists hate 90's era comic books?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shadoer posted:

Tumblr
SJW
echo chamber

This is always going to be the level of discourse here, apparently.

e:

[/quote]

Glowku posted:

echochamber)

Meaningless buzzwords, all the way down.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 26, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
anite why are you silencing <scytherGoKU69>

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bedlamdan posted:

There is still time for a GG member to also get jaw surgery performed on a real-doll as well. I remain hopeful.

I don't think Peter Coffiin was really on any side. Almost everyone seems to dislike him, much like Anthony Burch.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

Hell, she doesn't even need to engage, but give others a chance to discuss it with each other at the source. It doesn't matter if that ends up being a cesspool. Humanity is largely a cesspool anyways.

nobody is obligated to provide a space for other people to explicitly describe why they are a bad person

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

memy posted:

Thanks for your valuable input

Glad I could help. Anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Why are we arguing about who is on whose side? Seriously, who gives a gently caress?

• Locked thread