Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it is *rolls d20* you

no im a loving intellectual child, weve been over this so many times im forced to conclude that youre just a boring troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

If we're going to talk about dicks, let's talk about how Zeitguiest gets his hard tying his black girlfriend up and beating her as part of the petty bourgeoisie while painting everyone else as monsters.

there should be a css script that makes balloons and confetti rain down every time someone gets butthurt and tries to salvage a losing argument by posting about zeitgeist's sex life

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

gamergate was the best banter of 2014/2015 and i'm glad it happened or I wouldn't have seen a woman who pretends she used to work for the bush administration before falling off a bike and getting amnesia file a restraining order against a fictional character while thousands of people earnestly supported her every word.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

there should be a css script that makes balloons and confetti rain down every time someone gets butthurt and tries to salvage a losing argument by posting about zeitgeist's sex life

or sedanchair's hands.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

But by all means let's accuse everyone of playing video games as doing it for masturbation!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Jesus gently caress you kids are easy to draw into exposing yourselves.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

there are many important scholars shaping cutting edge discussion via tweets, i'll have you know
To paraphrase a Social Justice lecturer & teacher who led SJ workshops at a top flight Canadian university, "Some of the most important activism today is taking place on twitter."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i want to cultivate my own sex rumor that creepshows can file away and pull out when i make them mad

let's try, uh

my secret kink is that my partners dress up like subservient secretaries, and then i gently caress them on a photocopier i keep in a spare room of my house explicitly for this purpose. it isn't even plugged in

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Broniki posted:

gamergate was the best banter of 2014/2015 and i'm glad it happened or I wouldn't have seen a woman who pretends she used to work for the bush administration before falling off a bike and getting amnesia file a restraining order against a fictional character while thousands of people earnestly supported her every word.

Whaaaaa?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

But by all means let's accuse everyone of playing video games as doing it for masturbation!

No wonder you're upset about "outrage culture". You have literally zero self-control.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
well at least you're not wasting electricity ptd

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

i want to cultivate my own sex rumor that creepshows can file away and pull out when i make them mad

let's try, uh

my secret kink is that my partners dress up like subservient secretaries, and then i gently caress them on a photocopier i keep in a spare room of my house explicitly for this purpose. it isn't even plugged in

You monster.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Zeitgueist posted:

no wonder they're not concerned about CP sharing lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zeitgueist posted:

Is it all coming together now?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

let's try, uh

You have to plug that it in. It's part of the kink.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Oh good, we're finally at the part where people start rolling with the punches.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Totalizator posted:

I propose we replace SJW which is a loaded term with a more apt one, like "left wing puritans"
I prefer the term "next decade conservatives".

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

unlimited shrimp posted:

To paraphrase a Social Justice lecturer & teacher who led SJ workshops at a top flight Canadian university, "Some of the most important activism today is taking place on twitter."

which unviersity

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

The second half sounds like Brianna Wu but the first half is completely foreign to me

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Zeitgueist is like the Sarah Butts of D&D. Everyone here secretly thinks he's gross and hypocritical but they kind of have to stick up for his hypocritical bullshit because he mostly agrees with them on other things. It's the essence of strange bedfellows. Literally only one person gets off on humiliating minorities for physical pleasure in this debate, but I bet it would shock an outsider which side and how fiercely he was protected.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

let's try, uh

personally im subscribed to so many po-mo identities ive basically squirreled my sexuality down away into a deep dark hole and have no idea what actually does it for me anymore. im like one of those beachcomber guys with a metal detector trying to find a boner.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm new to D&D, is everyone here acts like tezzor?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't even tell who I agree with in this thread except who gives a gently caress what Z does to his girlfriend.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dreylad posted:

which unviersity
I'm not going into detail because unfortunately outrage / call-out culture is real, sry.

e.
And so are weird internet trolls and I don't want to be party to her catching grief for her righteous & strange opinions.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

I can't even tell who I agree with in this thread except who gives a gently caress what Z does to his girlfriend.

It's because the personal is political

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bholder posted:

I'm new to D&D, is everyone here acts like tezzor?

nah we hate that guy too

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

KongMu posted:

I understand your sentiment, and would agree, I just fail to see what impact Chun Li's enormity of boobage has on forcing a fantasy on another. Especially a commonly held fantasy by both men and women. I think I agree with half of what you are saying, but I guess my opinion lies somewhere else. I don't necessarily agree that culture is this inescapable, mind altering force. I guess I believe more in free will of the individual. I think we all know many women who refuse to conform to the culture they are "forced to conform to" or presented with, as well as many men. Or those that pick and choose aspects that they like and leave the others. Maybe I am once again misunderstanding the actual problem or argument, though. I'm not a regular D&D type person on the internet and therefore do not have the extensive knowledge to the arguments and depths thereof, of which both sides of the same argument have become so deeply entrenched in.

Human beings are fundamentally affected by their culture. Like this shouldn't be a controversial statement, it's the very basis for there being recognizably different cultures in the first place.

But beyond that, the issue is the lovely and blatant imbalance where men get to be whatever they want to be and women generally have to be at least sexy. Like that one person brought up Makoto because, gently caress, the only other women you can go to are Rose and maybe Ibuki. But the dudes? Birdie, Gouken, Rufus, Seth, Dhalsim, E Honda, Blanka, and Hakan are all not exactly attractive dudes, and certainly aren't running around in thongsuits like Cammy or Mika. And the dudes who are attractive get to be poo poo like Vega, Ryu, Sagat, Cody, etc.

And it's all over. League of Legend has a bunch of monster peeps in their evil bad person faction, Noxus. Noxus dudes get to be a crippled old guy who turns into a monster bird, an undead hulk, a bloated corpse on spider legs, a dude who is 95% chemical burns, a werewolf, and Hulk 2: Purple Syringe Boogaloo but the closest you get to "cool powerful monster woman" in the evil bad person faction is a snake woman with a sexy lady half wearing a bikini.

There's a bunch of other poo poo, but god drat if just the most basic character design poo poo doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

edit: jfc i'm doin a dumb fuckin effort post and this thread moves 4 god drat pages

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 26, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

Zeitgueist is like the Sarah Butts of D&D. Everyone here secretly thinks he's gross and hypocritical but they kind of have to stick up for his hypocritical bullshit because he mostly agrees with them on other things. It's the essence of strange bedfellows. Literally only one person gets off on humiliating minorities for physical pleasure in this debate, but I bet it would shock an outsider which side and how fiercely he was protected.

For sure, my man. All I have to do is get you into a compromising situation with some bondage gear and a Latina lady and you'll kill yourself. Sounds easy enough.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
this certainly has proven an effective honeypot for the worst dnd posters

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'm not going into detail because unfortunately outrage / call-out culture is real, sry.

lol

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

natetimm posted:

No actually they think I'm awesome because I piss babies off via forums.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Nevvy Z posted:

But they REALLY care you might be getting a boner from an imaginary character in a video game. Never mind you abuse and humiliate an actual human for pleasure.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Sort of related to Gamergate, but a nice essay about how Feminism has become against the values of the enlightenment.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/feminism-and-the-turn-against-enlightenment/17057#.VY2bRXpVhHz

quote:

Feminism and The Turn Against The Enlightenment

The new feminism is the gloss on the West’s loss of faith in itself.

One of the most striking things of the 21st century so far has been the rise of feminism. No other movement enjoys as much political, cultural and media validation right now as feminism does. Things have gone so far that when British PM David Cameron refused to pose in a t-shirt that said ‘This is what a feminist looks like’, he got flak. So entrenched is the new feminism that, now, not being a feminist can land you in hot water.

The new feminism infuses political, cultural and media life. It’s good business. Pop stars shake their booties in front of massive backdrops of the word ‘FEMINIST’. Publishing houses fall over themselves to offer huge advances to feminists keen to write memoirs-cum-manifestos. A mix of sauciness and self-help, with titles like Hot Feminist and Do It Like A Woman, these femi-manuals often top bestseller lists. New-feminist blogs abound. Popular online mags like Buzzfeed and VICE promote new-feminist ideas. The Twitterati push the new feminism, too, and police deviations from it: witness the arrest of those who are foul about new feminists.

You can’t open a newspaper without reading a feminist critique of the justice system, the internet, mainstream politics, movies. Culture is now judged by its willingness to adhere to the values of the new feminism. From the outrage over the film version of Gone Girl, which was not new-feminist enough, to the global applauding of the rebooted Mad Max, which is apparently a feast of new-feminist ideas, even art and entertainment must now accord with the new-feminist outlook.

As for the world of politics, new feminism is dominant. Everyone might have laughed at the UK Labour Party’s pink bus, designed to get more women voting, but the idea that women do politics differently, and better, to men is now widely accepted. Hillary Clinton has promised to make women’s rights a key plank of her future dealings in the international sphere. UN bodies and NGOs already execute their global agendas in the language of the new feminism, using terms like ‘female empowerment’ to promote population-control measures and the policing of men in much of the global South. We’ve even had feminist wars: the occupation of Afghanistan was justified in part as a means of liberating women (with very little discussion of how it actually made Afghan women’s lives worse).

So in a very short period of time, feminism has gone from being viewed as the ideology of small groups of women to being the organising principle of vast swathes of Western public life. Politics, media, culture, international relations, global conflict — no area has been left untouched by it.

The rise of this new feminism in the West is strange, for two reasons. The first is that all the other political movements of which feminism was once considered a close cousin have withered. Student radicalism — of the progressive variety — is a thing of the past. Left-wing groups continue to shrink. The anti-war movement is a shadow of its former self. And yet feminism, which in its modern form emerged around the same time as those movements, is soaring, finding favour with everyone from Beyonce to the possible next president of the US.

The second reason the rise of the new feminism is weird is because, in the West at least, feminism has never been less necessary. Thankfully, life for women in the West has improved exponentially. There are now more women than men at university, in Central Europe, the EU, North America and Latin America. In school, too, girls are outperforming boys: the OECD found that, in developed countries, girls and boys are now equal in relation to science, and girls outperform boys in literacy. According to the OECD, the average gap between girls and boys is ‘equivalent to an extra year of schooling’.

This leap forward for women in education is reflected in the Western labour market. In the UK, the gender pay-gap is becoming history. Women in their 20s now earn around four per cent more than their male counterparts. These new levels of female independence have contributed to a decline in violence against women. Many women no longer have to stay put in situations that degrade them. Domestic violence rates in the UK are falling, from a ‘peak of more than one million incidents in 1993 to just under 400,000 [in 2011/2012]’. Very often, new-feminist discourse — with its claim that Western women face daily horrors, online and off — feels as detached from reality as it is possible to get.

So, political radicalism is on the wane, and life for Western women has vastly improved, and yet feminism has become the most fashionable political position of our time — what’s this all about?

In part, the new feminism can be seen as mission creep: an old movement looking for a new role now that its original aims have largely been achieved. This would explain why it is so obsessed with culture, with how people think and speak and with what words they use or images they view. Having achieved equality in the legal and work spheres, some feminists are now moving into the realms of culture and even thought, where their politics, or any politics for that matter, has no place. The end result is often intolerance, a demand not only that society remove all the barriers to women’s engagement in public life — which is a good demand — but also that people and art and culture think about and depict women in a particular, ‘correct’ way, which is an illiberal demand.

Feminists themselves claim the new feminism is on the up because women in the West still live in a ‘sea of misogyny’, which is simply not true. Men’s rights activists — the saddest creatures in the political firmament — claim the new feminism proves influential women are hellbent on making life hard for blokes, which is also unconvincing, and borders on a conspiracy theory. It also raises an immediate question, which very few of the discussants of the new feminism seem able to answer: How have these new feminists become so influential? What is it about society — rather than the new feminists themselves — which has seen new-feminist ideas being so fulsomely embraced by officialdom and elites? The issue is not the apparently terrifying influence of new feminists, but the receptiveness to their arguments and prejudices among those who oversee political, public and media life in the 21st-century West.

My view is that this new feminism is best understood, not as a fresh uprising or an independent movement, but as the gloss on Western society’s own collapse of faith in itself.
What we are witnessing is not the rise of a new ideology or any kind of grassroots upheaval, but the instinctive formulation of a cover, an explanation, for the modern West’s abandonment of the ideas of reason, order, autonomy and truth, and of the Enlightenment itself.

The new feminism, with its calling into question of what one feminist author refers to as ‘reason’s diktat’, of the apparently male belief that the world is knowable and changeable, has risen to the surface of public debate, not because of its newness or profundity, but because it is currently the best lick of paint that can be added to the West’s own jettisoning of its old values. This isn’t women vs men. It isn’t even feminists vs the authorities. No, the new feminism is simply the external expression of the internal corrosion of Western values, the acceptable face of what I think we should view as the unacceptable decommissioning of the ideas that created the modern, democratic world. And as such, it is bad for men and women.

Rest in the link

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
don't kinkshame

well if its legal at least

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Nevvy Z posted:

It's outrage culture I tell you what.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

unlimited shrimp posted:

So you got that from a meme but don't actually know. K.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Broniki posted:

:agreed:

unlimited shrimp posted:

Was that the same place where farts are misogynistic?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zeitgueist posted:

It's outrage culture I tell you what.

its you you're the real racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

nah we hate that guy too

What is your guys' opinion on SedanChair, I only heard of him after the hand thing and then he did the ironic blackface thing so he seems pretty Tezzor-y?

Tell me of your strange culture here in these foreign lands.

• Locked thread