Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Literally The Worst posted:

Is everyone who enjoys bondage/pain-play/etc a victim of abuse or is it possible that they just enjoy it

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

we CANT show you the steampunk wedding photos, and tahts why everyone hates Goatstein

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Which

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Shadoer posted:

Awesome, explain why.

Nah.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bedlamdan posted:

Everyone shut up for like five seconds and explain to me who goatstein is or just show me the steampunk wedding photos, god bless.

he had a steampunk themed wedding that's the story enjoy

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Bicyclops posted:

Ahahahaha from a website with such classics as "Rape culture is a dangerous myth" and "Ben Affleck: A Slave to Identity Politics." Truly a hallmark of intelligent, nuanced reading.

That's great. But why is this article wrong?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Both.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Just how triggered are you right now? Do you need me to help you into the hug box and bring you juice and cookies? The hug box already has some pillows and a puppy waiting for you.

holy poo poo... the "triggered" meme. this guys on a whole nother level....

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fabricated posted:

I wanna know if bonv's post about tezzor being goatstein is true because I then demand the steampunk wedding pictures

I'm pretty sure Tezzor != Goatstein.

Also weren't those pictures posted and that's why he left? I remember seeing them in a TF2 thread many years ago.

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

TGLT posted:

Human beings are fundamentally affected by their culture. Like this shouldn't be a controversial statement, it's the very basis for there being recognizably different cultures in the first place.

But beyond that, the issue is the lovely and blatant imbalance where men get to be whatever they want to be and women generally have to be at least sexy. Like that one dude brought up Makoto because, gently caress, the only other women you can go to are Rose and maybe Ibuki. But the dudes? Birdie, Gouken, Rufus, Seth, Dhalsim, E Honda, Blanka, and Hakan are all not exactly attractive dudes, and certainly aren't running around in thongsuits like Cammy or Mika. And the dudes who are attractive get to be poo poo like Vega, Ryu, Sagat, Cody, etc.

And it's all over. League of Legend has a bunch of monster peeps in their evil bad person faction, Noxus. Noxus dudes get to be a crippled old guy who turns into a monster bird, an undead hulk, a bloated corpse on spider legs, a dude who is 95% chemical burns, a werewolf, and Hulk 2: Purple Syringe Boogaloo but the closest you get to "cool powerful monster woman" in the evil bad person faction is a snake woman with a sexy lady half wearing a bikini.

There's a bunch of other poo poo, but god drat if just the most basic character design poo poo doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

edit: jfc i'm doin a dumb fuckin effort post and this thread moves 4 god drat pages

That sounds very deterministic to me. So yes I do find it controversial. I'm pretty sure that culture does not have the effects that some of the people making these argument are claiming it does. It has effects, sure, that is self evident as you point out, but people still have free will. Either way, pointing at chun li's tits and screaming sexism or NO IT NOT isn't very helpful at achieving whatever one side or the other is trying to achieve.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

natetimm posted:

Can a mentally ill person caught in a cycle of re-enacting their own abuse at the hands of a sadist truly consent?

Keep trying people will stop pointing making fun of you and be your friend any post now I just know it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

So why does Z's ladyfriend have to be the former

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Effectronica posted:

I look forward to the real feminism, where high heels are empowering, c'mon, don't you want to be empowered, don't you want to be your own brand, don't you want to constantly sell yourself to corporate capitalism?

Oh hey... problematic. I've filled the entire motherfucking bingo card.

Remember when feminists were falling over themselves to save gawker's bottom line

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dreylad posted:

he had a steampunk themed wedding that's the story enjoy

I *can't* without the *pics* please help.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bedlamdan posted:

we aint got the loving pics!! hence the injustice of the whole situation!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bedlamdan posted:

i have terrible news for you....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm very happy I have been introduced to e-publication, Spiked!, which appears to one step down from Angry Harry in terms of its expressed worldview.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

gently caress

Does anyone wanna talk about Elder Scrolls?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

this is the real gamergate

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Natetimm do you really not understand how the things someone does in the privacy of their bedroom is different from broadly diseminated media in how it has an influence on culture and public thinking?

Do you really not underst and how someone can like something while still disliking certain features or aspects of it?

Do you not think so good?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
goatstein died a loving honorless craven and carried the pics with him down to hell

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

Keep trying people will stop pointing making fun of you and be your friend any post now I just know it.

Is this even English

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
It's funny that everyone wants to ask why people who consume video games would want to see sexualized characters and how terrible that is, but when someone wants to tie up a black woman and beat her for sexual gratification, they're like: Maybe they just like it, alright?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Could people who are actively defending the worst people in the world tell the guy who is vocal against bigotry about his personal life I'm sure they are on the right side of this.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

Is there any hellthread freakazoid that's willing to justify their existence, or can we just assume that all of youse guys ought to be killed out of hand?

Haha, hey look, its doing a thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

holy poo poo... the "triggered" meme. this guys on a whole nother level....

I'm not on any level, just that guy looks like he is having a panic attack talking about how all women should be forced to dress, and i'm kinda worried for his health.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

memy posted:

Is this even English

I wanna be everyone's friend, and talk about videogames.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

It's funny that everyone wants to ask why people who consume video games would want to see sexualized characters and how terrible that is, but when someone wants to tie up a black woman and beat her for sexual gratification, they're like: Maybe they just like it, alright?

I too can't believe people defend consenting adults' ability to have sex in a way that they wish

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreylad posted:

the university with a huge MRA contingent cool, everyone there deserves each other

being afraid of naming someone who works at the university of toronto is hilarious I gota say

I can't remember where it was, but someone complained about a guy spreading his legs open on a subway as a form of "male dominance" or whatever.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Bedlamdan posted:

gently caress

Does anyone wanna talk about Elder Scrolls?

I think C0DA is a fantastic piece of work

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Since when has this place been called 'Problem Attic'? Who stole my joke? I claim all royalties on that joke.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

natetimm posted:

Noooooo they gonna change my video games nooooooo

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

Could people who are actively defending the worst people in the world tell the guy who is vocal against bigotry about his personal life I'm sure they are on the right side of this.

Get some sleep dude

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

natetimm posted:

I just want to know if it's OK to act out the same scenario in a game since I'm very lonely.

e: sorry my friend is very lonely.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Unfunny Poster posted:

I can't remember where it was, but someone complained about a guy spreading his legs open on a subway as a form of "male dominance" or whatever.

Ah yes, manspreading on the New York City train lines.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sinnlos posted:

I think C0DA is a fantastic piece of work

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Unfunny Poster posted:

there was a tumblr about it

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Maxwell Adams posted:

Since when has this place been called 'Problem Attic'? Who stole my joke? I claim all royalties on that joke.

The worst part of the entire gamergate debacle has been the loving nicknames that come out of it

Muh Soggy Knee
Shark Skeevyian
GooperGope
Freeze Peach

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Goddamn, can you tell me what abuse I suffered to make me enjoy having a partner bite my earlobe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreylad posted:

there was a tumblr about it

Yeah, maybe that's where I saw it. It was pretty stupid and over the top.

Much like GamerGate and the "opposing side"

• Locked thread