Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Unfunny Poster posted:

I can't remember where it was, but someone complained about a guy spreading his legs open on a subway as a form of "male dominance" or whatever.

There was a Tumblr dedicated to that. The point was, if I recall, that men sitting that way take up an inordinate amount of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I think that making posts about how opposed I am to things makes me a good person. I used to be a massive piece of poo poo, but let me assure you, that is in the past, and I am only now a huge piece of poo poo to the people you guys dislike. Can I keep posting in D&D forever now?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Effectronica posted:

Goddamn, can you tell me what abuse I suffered to make me enjoy having a partner bite my earlobe?

Probably the inherent indignity of existance

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Effectronica posted:

Goddamn, can you tell me what abuse I suffered to make me enjoy having a partner bite my earlobe?

being raised by vulcan raven. haha, videogame reference.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Guys, we can't let our culture be influenced by this toxic sexism in games.

GET BACK UNDER THE BED YOU WHORE!

*Posts about Marx and social justice*

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Is there any hellthread freakazoid that's willing to justify their existence, or can we just assume that all of youse guys ought to be killed out of hand?

Triggered! All right, that's bingo on three different cards so far.

Thank you for supporting the Knights of Columbus.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

The worst part of the entire gamergate debacle has been the loving nicknames that come out of it

Muh Soggy Knee
Shark Skeevyian
GooperGope
Freeze Peach

Cucktales was a pretty good one though, even in spite of cuck being painfully played-out at that point.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Please respond to the op-ed piece containing no evidence to back up a single one of its claims, which is basically the sentence 'feminism is the real bigotry' in essay form."

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Manspreading is now a crime in New York, in case you were wondering

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Seriously Kirkbride is a storytelling genius and he adds a huge amount of depth into the TES world. I would go so far as to say that TES is the franchise with the strongest world building lore-wise.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Bedlamdan posted:

oh be fair, it's also discussed like crazy on GBS too

A little late but maybe the fact that this is so widely discussed in both places should tell you something?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

pc master race is now racist.

also so is the witcher 3 6 weeks late
https://archive.is/HZGez

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

Guys, we can't let our culture be influenced by this toxic sexism in games.

GET BACK UNDER THE BED YOU WHORE!

*Posts about Marx and social justice*

What's the abuse I suffered to enjoy being bitten by a partner, natetimm. What is it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bedlamdan posted:

I think that making posts about how opposed I am to things makes me a good person. I used to be a massive piece of poo poo, but let me assure you, that is in the past, and I am only now a huge piece of poo poo to the people you guys dislike. Can I keep posting in D&D forever now?

Actually not being a bigot doesn't make anyone a good person it's literally like basic decency but lol that you think these things.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

As someone who has been taking public transit as my primary method of transportation for about 19 years, I can tell you that those dudes who spread their legs out on the train are irritating as all hell, and pretty much everyone wants to punch them in the nards, regardless of one's political alignment.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that anti-oppression work's best hope is the expansion of police discretionary power.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Bicyclops posted:

"Please respond to the op-ed piece containing no evidence to back up a single one of its claims, which is basically the sentence 'feminism is the real bigotry' in essay form."

You know if you read the article you'd realize that the article's point was that Women's rights and feminism is important, but we shouldn't sacrifice several of our other values for it especially since misogyny and sexism were already in decline.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

You are always welcome to post here, no matter your opinion, just don't be surprised if you get called out on something.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

Whoa whoawhoa, that poo poo is backed up by the mary sue, who referenced wikipedia, which sourced jezebel, which referenced a blog on wikipedia!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

only if you also install https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cloud-to-butt-plus/apmlngnhgbnjpajelfkmabhkfapgnoai?hl=en

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If ppl didnt want to hear this maybe they shouldnt have adopted a term that Yahtzee made up to make fun of them

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

there was a tumblr about it

It was also an incredibly racist tumblr since it was exclusively black dudes sitting normally becuase accused of "manspreading" which isn't even a thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

I can't remember where it was, but someone complained about a guy spreading his legs open on a subway as a form of "male dominance" or whatever.

This one time Brianna Wu posted a picture she took of a guy at an airport. He was laying down on the floor, up against a wall, so he was blocking nothing, and she posted this picture of him without his consent, and called him a manspreader. Every single person that responded, told her she was wrong and kind of an rear end in a top hat for posting a pic of a stranger.

The manspreading thing isn't quite the dumbest thing to come out internet feminism, but it's up there. It was originally a concept that started in the 70s in Tokyo subways. The government put out an ad campaign telling people to stop spreading their legs so much on subway seats, everyone was doing it, not just men. Today it's just people who physically look like adults, but mentally they are toddlers and therefore too scared to ask someone politely to make space for them. So they go onto the internet and act angry even though their problems could have been solved by speaking up with just a couple words. Manspreading is the greatest example of everything wrong with internet feminism.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also so is the witcher 3 6 weeks late
https://archive.is/HZGez

That dude hates that white people even exist.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Prav posted:

I just want to know if it's OK to act out the same scenario in a game since I'm very lonely.

e: sorry my friend is very lonely.

I mean there are sex games out there, even if they're not broadly advertised.

Or hell make your own sex game.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nevvy Z posted:

Natetimm do you really not understand how the things someone does in the privacy of their bedroom is different from broadly diseminated media in how it has an influence on culture and public thinking?

Do you really not underst and how someone can like something while still disliking certain features or aspects of it?

Do you not think so good?

Well, there was a multi-year German longitudinal study based on cultivation theory. They found that video games do not influence or cause sexist attitudes among those that play them: http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/04/10/new-study-finds-no-link-between-gaming-and-sexist-attitudes/

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

It was also an incredibly racist tumblr since it was exclusively black dudes sitting normally becuase accused of "manspreading" which isn't even a thing.

Have you ever taken a train in your life?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Sinnlos posted:

You are always welcome to post here, no matter your opinion, just don't be surprised if you get called out on something.

*nods* :)

Zeitgueist posted:

Actually not being a bigot doesn't make anyone a good person it's literally like basic decency but lol that you think these things.

What if I emptyquote senior posters, that's how I usually try to fit in?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

I said come in! posted:

This one time Brianna Wu posted a picture she took of a guy at an airport. He was laying down on the floor, up against a wall, so he was blocking nothing, and she posted this picture of him without his consent, and called him a manspreader. Every single person that responded, told her she was wrong and kind of an rear end in a top hat for posting a pic of a stranger.

The manspreading thing isn't quite the dumbest thing to come out internet feminism, but it's up there.
Actually, "outrage culture" is just a strawtonepoliceman.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

Well, let's be fair here. They did produce you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

citation needed

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bicyclops posted:

tiem to have your midn blown: Did you know men and women ahve different shaped pelvises

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, you're choosing "those dudes who spread out their legs so you can't even sit during your commute anymore, they're annoying" as your hill to die on?

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Up with video games, down with women!!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Powercrazy posted:

There are now anti-manspreading municipal ads on at least two major subway lines in NYC.

Really though, conserve space on public transit please it is not gendered it is just decency.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im ok with manspreading laws if they are also enforced against women with those huge purses that they put on the inside seat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I lived in Washington D.C. for four months last year, and took the subway everyday. Never saw manspreading and I actively looked for it because I was well aware of how angry idiots on Twitter were about it before I moved.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I think the blog's problem is that it showed way too many people sitting normally or just spread out next a bunch of empty loving seats lol

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

KongMu posted:

That sounds very deterministic to me. So yes I do find it controversial. I'm pretty sure that culture does not have the effects that some of the people making these argument are claiming it does. It has effects, sure, that is self evident as you point out, but people still have free will. Either way, pointing at chun li's tits and screaming sexism or NO IT NOT isn't very helpful at achieving whatever one side or the other is trying to achieve.

Being affected is not the same thing as having your life determined by culture, but culture is a big part of the "environment" aspect of the nature vs environment debate in psychology. Here's just one psych thing discussing how culture impacts the way we behave and the kinds of ideas we are exposed to. It's not an absolute, but it does definitely have an effect, and it's pretty lovely that in this context it means women are gonna get bombarded with "ey yo b sexy 4 me" without any really consistent alternative. Discussing the disparity in representation between women and men is in fact the first step to broadening the ways in which women get represented in mainstream video games. And that disparity has always been part of the conversation, it's pretty much never just been "well that lady is sexy!" except in the minds of peeps who think that one or two ladies in a game cast that aren't in thongs is exactly as good as and comparable to a whole bunch of not sexualized dudes. Or it's unimpeachable because a woman was involved in the design process, as part of a committee of other peeps including dudes who are explicitly "we gave her glasses cuz i think that's sexy" and "i worked a lot on making her rear end hot cuz yeah high five", and there doesn't need to be any further examination of the issue.

edit: I mean there's a whole bunch of other poo poo too, this one just sticks out. I think it's loving hilarious that people complain that Heather Mason from Silent Hill 3 is "whiny" even though it's pretty reasonable to be annoyed that you're getting dragged into a murder town. And she's still the only SH protagonist to knowingly go to supernatural deathville to save a person. But it's a lot easier to talk about the blatant issues with how people get represented instead of how fans react differently to male and female characters.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Manspreading in NYC as a crime has nothing to do with feminism, it is part of the broken window strategy of policing.

• Locked thread