Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Enough people (I'm as guilty as anyone) have been skipping our daily status meeting that my boss is making it Actually Mandatory now. Boooooooo, 15 minutes hearing about what everyone is doing all day even though I'm on all the emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ha-ha, I love this reference to a comment in a previous thread about a printout of an email that had been faxed and then scanned back in.

Anyone have a link to it so I can enjoy the joke a second time?

I got your back

Thank you. That part I had assumed, the ICO bit was confusing.

Edward_Tohr posted:

And let's not forget the crazy saga of the "ICO?".

And confusing on purpose, it seems!

E: And I actually had a guy screenshot an error message, print it out, and then fax it to me. Which I then had to scan in for the record in our ticketing system.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 26, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Enough people (I'm as guilty as anyone) have been skipping our daily status meeting that my boss is making it Actually Mandatory now. Boooooooo, 15 minutes hearing about what everyone is doing all day even though I'm on all the emails.

This is actually a really good thing. Having everyone in the same place (or even on the phone) at the same time is for a few minutes each morning is great for making sure everyone is on the same page about projects and priorities. People spinning their wheels on stuff can get pointed in the right direction (they might be stuck on something you can answer, but didn't send out an e-mail), overlapping or redundant projects can get consolidated or cancelled (you're spending how much time on that? it won't even be an issue in the next version of X), etc.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm waiting for someone else to ask to explain the joke so I don't have to be the guy who "doesn't get it."

FE: Oops.

Glad it wasn't just me :downs: I don't follow the various rant threads anymore; they move too drat fast.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Docjowles posted:

Glad it wasn't just me :downs: I don't follow the various rant threads anymore; they move too drat fast.

Oh c'mon, man. This thread is slow compared to before DAF was banished.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GOOCHY posted:

After getting a job offer that pushes me up into "makin' bank" territory, I was considering becoming an insufferable alcoholic who spams up the thread with weird poo poo, but evol262 lives in the same city as me and would probably hunt me down and kill me so we're just stuck with a slow thread.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

After getting a job offer that pushes me up into "makin' bank" territory, I was considering becoming an insufferable alcoholic who spams up the thread with weird poo poo, but evol262 lives in the same city as me and would probably hunt me down and kill me so we're just stuck with a slow thread.

Go for it dude. You're a baller now. How are people going to know how much you're killing life if you don't name drop CCIE's in every conversation and talk about how mad drunk you got at the anime cosplay festival. And why I bet with enough booze and money you could help all the poors and the womens out there.

Just typing that out makes me miss his meltdowns. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of things too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GOOCHY posted:

DAF meltdowns don't count. Those were some must-see TV poo poo that I could read all day.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Who even admits to going to a cosplay anime convention, much less brags about it in an online IT forum? (on a comedy website... the inception hole can go deeper.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Update:

I showed up to my first day of work dressed as Gohan.

Someone asked why I was dressed as Goku at work, one thing led to another and well, refer to my SH/SC Job Thread post.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

GOOCHY posted:

Who even admits to going to a cosplay anime convention, much less brags about it in an online IT forum? (on a comedy website... the inception hole can go deeper.)

I sort of lost track of it all - was he also doing some trans-gender, male prostitute sort of thing, too?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I sort of lost track of it all - was he also doing some trans-gender, male prostitute sort of thing, too?

:aaa: :worms: :aaa:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GOOCHY posted:

Hands down the best part about that whole meltdown was when he decried his boss for not letting him wear his costumes to work (that he would show up late to.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Was he showing up to work intoxicated also or am I remembering wrong?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Was he showing up to work intoxicated also or am I remembering wrong?

I feel like he was never entirely sober under any circumstances.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Although I rarely get to meet with my boss and the CEO in the span of ten minutes I got two quotes approved by them, one to expand our maxed out phone system and another to get a backup internet circuit for our main office. No fuss, no muss. Not big quotes by any means but I expected it to be a drawn out festival of nit-picking. I hope this will ease them into approving the big quotes that are coming down the pike.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The laptop is the email console and holds the ID files, it has no battery. The USB stick at the top right is actual storage. Every marker and highlighter is dead.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 27, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Methanar posted:

The laptop is the email, it has no battery. The USB stick at the top right is actual storage. Every marker and highlighter is dead.

what in the actual loving gently caress

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Methanar posted:

The laptop is the email, it has no battery. The USB stick at the top right is actual storage. Every marker and highlighter is dead.

hahahaha oh my god

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
At least it's clean and organized!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

This is Saskatchewan as gently caress tbh

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
#pray4methanar

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I had that Inspiron in college, I see the ASA on the plastic tape case, but all I can think about is how loving slow that flash drive is.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Methanar posted:

Hey I've got that exact laptop. It's roughly 8 years old at this point.

It also came from a batch that had exploding batteries.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
That exact laptop was the second computer my family ever owned.

Not pictured: The dozens of floppies that used to be sitting all over the place.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 27, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

hihifellow posted:

Hey I've got that exact laptop. It's roughly 8 years old at this point.

It also came from a batch that had exploding batteries.

Methanar posted:

That exact laptop was the second computer my family ever owned.

I know what you guys are saying, but a little part of my brain is interpreting it as you are saying that you literally owned the laptop in the picture, not a different one of the same model.

Edit:

Nintendo Kid posted:

I had nearly the same one.

THANK YOU!

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 27, 2015

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Oh Cisco :allears: http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/two-keys-to-rule-them-all-cisco-warns-of-default-ssh-keys-on-appliances/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Roargasm posted:

I had that Inspiron in college, I see the ASA on the plastic tape case, but all I can think about is how loving slow that flash drive is.

I had nearly the same one. I loved that keyboard layout.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo. At least most sane people will have all in-band management on a separate vlan, which should prevent this from being a big issue.(disclaimer - I'm still working on my CCNA)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Methanar posted:

I don't know what's happening here but I am very curious and a little scared.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Bigass Moth posted:

I don't know what's happening here but I am very curious and a little scared.

That laptop is Methanar's company email server.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

TerryLennox posted:

That laptop is Methanar's ticking time bomb.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

TerryLennox posted:

That laptop is Methanar's company email server.

Not the email server. Just the only way of interacting with the email server.

The real email server is the one with the yellowing plastic. It's really not that much better, I promise. It's every bit as non redundant and fragile.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 27, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

That is a pretty huge detail that you didn't communicate very well. Maybe I am wrong.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

This is slightly different.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Methanar posted:

Methanar posted:

LN1 is the internal mail
LN2 is the external mail
A very old laptop is the console for LN1, LN2 does not seem to have a console at all.

One of these things is not like the other

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Note to self: Do not rely on someone to provide you with the correct files, even if they have a loving DOCTORATE and have been in IT for 20 years.

Also, I learned that linux throws fits and won't tell really you why. So you spend 2 hours thinking something else is jacked up only to realize the person who should know the most downloaded 32 bit files instead of the 64 for the install.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

OhDearGodNo posted:

Also, I learned that linux throws fits and won't tell really you why. So you spend 2 hours thinking something else is jacked up only to realize the person who should know the most downloaded 32 bit files instead of the 64 for the install.

This is not true. Learn how to Linux properly, and it will always tell you what is wrong. /var/log/ will almost always have what you need.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

linux throws fits and won't tell really you why.

In fairness this is every OS and application ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

This is not true. Learn how to Linux properly, and it will always tell you what is wrong. /var/log/ will almost always have what you need.

Eventually I will. I'm not a linux guy.

Would the logs have just repeated the error, or provided more detail?