Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

turnways posted:

Isn't that the origin of the Oracle, a comic character a lot of disabled folks champion because it added disabled diversity to the DC cast?

Yes and no. It's why she became the Oracle, but that was like a year after the fact, and wasn't as far as I know part of the original plan. Also it's the comic that pretty heavily implied that Joker raped Barbara. I mean, only a few ways to interpret this panel despite what Moore said. Though Moore has also later said that he felt he mishandled Barbara in the story, and felt it was a gently caress up his editors should have stopped. As some one else said, it also probably wasn't meant to be canon or whatever since it also strongly implied that Batman choked the poo poo out of the Joker.

The nude crying photos are also why people think the alternative cover that was a tribute to it was rapey.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

SedanChair posted:

Wow, she must be hysterical, she can't even tell the made-up death threats from the real and terrifying ones

It's not that, it's that she can't even read well enough to realize it's someone making death threats in support of her.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
We will end sexism by lots and lots of rape imagery- Camille Paglia, probably.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

SedanChair posted:

Wow, she must be hysterical, she can't even tell the made-up death threats from the real and terrifying ones

That person was joking about gassing Gamergaters, not gassing Anti-GG people.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

icantfindaname posted:

"I love rape!"

If we just remove rape from storytelling it will totally eliminate it from society!

-an idiot

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

memy posted:

DC rejected the first draft of the variant cover for not being rapey enough, and then immediately and publicly caved to criticism after the reveal

If that doesn't sound like an obvious publicity stunt then I have a bridge to sell you. Be honest, how many of you knew there was a batgirl reboot before the controversy?

I did because I like Batgirl as a character.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SedanChair posted:

*makes wooshing noises*

Effectronica posted:

We will end sexism by lots and lots of rape imagery- Camille Paglia, probably.

NO THAT QUOTE IS BY ALAN MOORE

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Are you being intentionally stupid or is this just your natural state

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I need to watch that video. Also, how's tradgames these days?

New world of darkness splat is a hilariously offensive clusterfuck, I don't have time to stay caught up on the d&d threads

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Sinnlos posted:

I did because I like Batgirl as a character.

Cassandra Cain was a very good Batgirl and I hated her Heel-Turn. :(

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hadaka Apron posted:

That person was joking about gassing Gamergaters, not gassing Anti-GG people.

How does that make her crazy?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's like the invasion of normandy, except instead of fighting nazis on the beach it's fighting feminists on twitter

the longest day. we will prevail

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

UberJew posted:

New world of darkness splat is a hilariously offensive clusterfuck, I don't have time to stay caught up on the d&d threads

Also, Warhammer blew up their IP.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I need to watch that video. Also, how's tradgames these days?

There is a tradgames thread on imp zone and it's super good go there instead.

Also Exalted 3E leaked online and apparently it's pretty swell.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Anita's vids are dry and somewhat basic feminist analyses of videogames. She occasionally reaches a little but almost always includes reasonable caveats to her more inflammatory points.
Its goddamn funny as hell how there are something like ten thousand times as many hours of youtube videos dedicated to angrily dissecting what is essentially a baby's first media studies series that comes out once a year now.

Only real criticism would be that shes taking an insane amount of time to put out a reasonably simple series of videos on a huge budget and due to the total radio silence from her you never know when any of it is coming out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SedanChair posted:

This one time she was giving a speech at a college, and a student left their backpack behind by mistake. She instantly thought the backpack had a bomb in it, stopped her talk, and ran away. Demanded that police protect her at all times.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's like the invasion of normandy, except instead of fighting nazis on the beach it's fighting feminists on twitter

the longest day. we will prevail

BLOCKED

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

memy posted:

DC rejected the first draft of the variant cover for not being rapey enough, and then immediately and publicly caved to criticism after the reveal

If that doesn't sound like an obvious publicity stunt then I have a bridge to sell you. Be honest, how many of you knew there was a batgirl reboot before the controversy?

I've been reading a shitload of comics since I was 11 so me

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Control Volume posted:

I think instead of making less video games for females and minorities, I think they should make more video games for females and minorities, and in general. Thank you for your time.

They who? The females and minorities?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

natetimm posted:

If we just remove rape from storytelling it will totally eliminate it from society!

-an idiot

Actually having conversations about what constitutes rape and it's impact is how to go about doing it. It's fun doing that in front of a room full of frat bros.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

natetimm posted:

-an idiot

Do you think the Confederate flag should be flying over the SC state capitol?

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I still want to know how it's possible to file a restraining order against an imaginary person

like don't you need their real name and address or something to get that through the system, how does this work in the USA

did no one at any point in the legal system stop Wu and tell her the person who threatened to kill her Assassin's Creed style was a fictional character

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nopantsjack posted:

Anita's vids are dry and somewhat basic feminist analyses of videogames. She occasionally reaches a little but almost always includes reasonable caveats to her more inflammatory points.
Its goddamn funny as hell how there are something like ten thousand times as many hours of youtube videos dedicated to angrily dissecting what is essentially a baby's first media studies series that comes out once a year now.

you know how like one third of goons can't grasp basic visual metaphors in political cartoons?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

NO THAT QUOTE IS BY ALAN MOORE

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SedanChair posted:

How does that make her crazy?
Yeah, she might just be illiterate.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

XMNN posted:

Yeah, she might just be illiterate.

most people with active twitter accounts are illiterate

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

It should be flying in Civil War videogames, IMO.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

Do you have any Dukes of Hazzard merchandise?

I hear there might be newfound demand on Ebay.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cyberball 2072 posted:

They who? The females and minorities?

Sir, I refer to none other than the industry that is popularly known for producing video games: the video game industry.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

This one time she was giving a speech at a college, and a student left their backpack behind by mistake. She instantly thought the backpack had a bomb in it, stopped her talk, and ran away. Demanded that police protect her at all times.

Death threats are traumatic and just might make you overly cautious!

It's really perverse that gamergaters will send death threats and then titter amongst themselves when their victim shows signs of panic.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TGLT posted:

Also it's the comic that pretty heavily implied that Joker raped Barbara.
Actually isn't it even more obviously implied he did rape James Gordon?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

icantfindaname posted:

Is a state capitol building and a comic book full of imaginary people the same thing?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bedlamdan posted:

It should be flying in Civil War videogames, IMO.

If the game involves the polemic destruction and condemnation of Confederate society then yeah

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bedlamdan posted:

Does anyone wanna talk about the Arkham Knight game? It doesn't work for the PC so I haven't played it.

I am genuinely considering getting it on PS4 rather than waiting for a PC port :smith:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Control Volume posted:

this is an awfully rude thing to say, I am definitely not worse than them. They are worse than me. They are bad, unlike me, who is less bad, than them.

sorry, i meant to empty quote you there, didn't mean to make it look like you are the same as sedanchair

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

I've been reading a shitload of comics since I was 11 so me

Do you want to talk about comics? Deffo loving Marvel's new Master of Kung-Fu series, I hope it stays instead of getting cancelled like the end of every other reboot.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Cassandra Cain was a very good Batgirl and I hated her Heel-Turn. :(

She's part of the league of batgirls in new 52 so she'll hopefully be back

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Broniki posted:

I still want to know how it's possible to file a restraining order against an imaginary person

like don't you need their real name and address or something to get that through the system, how does this work in the USA

did no one at any point in the legal system stop Wu and tell her the person who threatened to kill her Assassin's Creed style was a fictional character

Like most of her assumed conversations with police and lawyers, I'm inclined to think she's not being honest about filing a restraining order on a fake person.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

UberJew posted:

Wait, what happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

natetimm posted:

Is a state capitol building and a comic book full of imaginary people the same thing?

Answer the question thanks

• Locked thread