Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay so why is it acceptable for media to have sexist depictions of women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Violent movies are the reason for street murders.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

In Arkham Knight there is a point where you can choose between one of two damsels to rescue, they are 2/3rds of the female characters with models thus far and the third is poison ivy who you defeat and imprison within her intro cutscene.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

SedanChair posted:

I am a child. I only learn at my parent's knee, and at church. These are the only places I learn. *watches Saw*

So they learn carpentry and puppeteering. Whats the big deal?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bedlamdan posted:

I also read Manga and translated european comics like Tintin and Asterix, I'm flexible.

Right now all I read on the reg is Shonen Jump and the reissues of Monster but I can hold Forth on plenty of stuff from before last summer

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

KoldPT posted:

who do you think is that

Out of the names that keep popping up I'm having a bit of trouble sorting out who isn't. Let's just say everyone that's made over $1000 and accept that that might include someone that doesn't deserve it. Maybe.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper Dan posted:

Wait, what happened?

the beasts from the new splat hang out with the fair folk from new changeling and consider them buddies and their 'villains' include a little girl a beast put into a coma who dared to fight back in dreamland, "but if you think that makes them look like the baddies you're actually a racist they're 100% good guys" -devs

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dapper Dan posted:

I posted a study where a multi year German study found no link between sexist attitudes and gaming. Here it is again:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/04/10/new-study-finds-no-link-between-gaming-and-sexist-attitudes/

I remember people writing articles about how, because it's German and not American, it doesn't apply to America

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper Dan posted:

I posted a study where a multi year German study found no link between sexist attitudes and gaming. Here it is again:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/04/10/new-study-finds-no-link-between-gaming-and-sexist-attitudes/

this isn't the question iw as talking about with that other guy

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

Actually isn't it even more obviously implied he did rape James Gordon?

I don't get that impression. I mean, I don't remember anything as explicit as "here's some photos of Barbara naked, crying, and in pain." They strip him down and dress him up like a Lord Humngus reject, but immediately transition to him talking to Joker and then on that carnival ride. 'Course he also gets to remain a fairly central character to the story, whereas Barbara isn't.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Prav posted:

Out of the names that keep popping up I'm having a bit of trouble sorting out who isn't. Let's just say everyone that's made over $1000 and accept that that might include someone that doesn't deserve it. Maybe.

Why do you think they are opportunists, though

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dapper Dan posted:

Um that's a Forbes article, not the study.

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

TGLT posted:

Being affected is not the same thing as having your life determined by culture, but culture is a big part of the "environment" aspect of the nature vs environment debate in psychology. Here's just one psych thing discussing how culture impacts the way we behave and the kinds of ideas we are exposed to. It's not an absolute, but it does definitely have an effect, and it's pretty lovely that in this context it means women are gonna get bombarded with "ey yo b sexy 4 me" without any really consistent alternative. Discussing the disparity in representation between women and men is in fact the first step to broadening the ways in which women get represented in mainstream video games. And that disparity has always been part of the conversation, it's pretty much never just been "well that lady is sexy!" except in the minds of peeps who think that one or two ladies in a game cast that aren't in thongs is exactly as good as and comparable to a whole bunch of not sexualized dudes. Or it's unimpeachable because a woman was involved in the design process, as part of a committee of other peeps including dudes who are explicitly "we gave her glasses cuz i think that's sexy" and "i worked a lot on making her rear end hot cuz yeah high five", and there doesn't need to be any further examination of the issue.

edit: I mean there's a whole bunch of other poo poo too, this one just sticks out. I think it's loving hilarious that people complain that Heather Mason from Silent Hill 3 is "whiny" even though it's pretty reasonable to be annoyed that you're getting dragged into a murder town. And she's still the only SH protagonist to knowingly go to supernatural deathville to save a person. But it's a lot easier to talk about the blatant issues with how people get represented instead of how fans react differently to male and female characters.

If you had plat i'd just pm you from here on out but I don't think you do? I would like to continue but this thread moves too fast for me and i'm at work.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

UberJew posted:

the beasts from the new splat hang out with the fair folk from new changeling and consider them buddies and their 'villains' include a little girl a beast put into a coma who dared to fight back in dreamland, "but if you think that makes them look like the baddies you're actually a racist they're 100% good guys" -devs

They said they're rewriting it but honestly I am really only invested in like, two or three rpgs right now tops so I'll give it a miss whatever it ends up being.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dont think standing up for a cause you believe in makes anyone a poo poo head. i think that's a pretty normal thing to do, and you're just upset that people disagree with you, so you frame them as morally deficient in order to preserve the feeling that you're on the correct side of the argument

Yeah there's a difference between standing up for a cause and taking money from suckers.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dapper Dan posted:

It's not clear from this study that sexist videogames have no influence on attitude. Maybe videogames as a whole aren't super duper sexist, but that doesn't mean sexism isn't bad or that we shouldn't reduce it where it exists.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

KoldPT posted:

Because they're walking away with fat stacks of cash.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Meme Emulator posted:

Well these games are built around a narrative focus, even if that narrative is just a half finished skeleton. Hidden Object games are commonly mystery or horror themed and the characters that exist are generally investigating a murder, disappearance or para-natural occurrence. Im going to qualify my next statement: In my own experience with these games, which is limited to watching over the shoulder and giving hints the story portion of these games are flimsy at best. The writing isnt engaging, youre lucky if the characters have more than one portrait, and the story scenes in between game boards is typically "Oh, heres this key I was looking for, now I can open the door! *fade to black, cut to next game board*".

These games arepumped out at an obscene rate because theyre easy to make, and the people playing them can consume them rapidly. However theres no depth to the mechanics and theres no meat to the narrative. Theyve failed to legitimize themselves as either the narrative driven storygame that the new generation champions and theyve failed to legitimize themselves as engaging games since they amount to nothing more than a match game, something that has been done a hundred thousand times before. Theyre meant to be just what they are: relaxing games with soothing music to be consumed and thrown away. That consumable nature though also means there isnt a hell of a lot to talk about which is why hidden object games arent going to make headlines.

"Well these games are built around a narrative focus, even if that narrative is just a half finished skeleton. First Person Shooter games are commonly war or adventure themed and the characters that exist are generally fighting a bad guy or trying to save someone. Im going to qualify my next statement: In my own experience with these games, which is limited to watching over the shoulder and giving hints the story portion of these games are flimsy at best. The writing isnt engaging, youre lucky if the characters have more than one facial expression, and the story scenes in between action set pieces is typically "Oh, heres this guy I was looking to kill *blam* now I can go kill the next guy! *fade to black, cut to next action set piece*".

These games arepumped out at an obscene rate because theyre easy to make, and the people playing them can consume them rapidly. However theres no depth to the mechanics and theres no meat to the narrative. Theyve failed to legitimize themselves as either the narrative driven storygame that the new generation champions and theyve failed to legitimize themselves as engaging games since they amount to nothing more than a point and click game, something that has been done a hundred thousand times before. Theyre meant to be just what they are: exciting games with high-tempo music to be consumed and thrown away. That consumable nature though also means there isnt a hell of a lot to talk about which is why FPS games arent going to make headlines."

Seriously, take a step back and apply Occam's Razor. What is the more likely explanation: that every single game genre with a majority female player base happens to be less worthy on objective measures than game genres with a majority male player base, or that our society's very powerful bias to take "feminine" things less seriously than "masculine" things also applies to video games, and even to video game journalists who call themselves Progressive?

Shadoer posted:

Actually let's just quickly go over the Gamergate/Victimhood moneywagon hall of fame

Patreon Loot
===================
Sarkeesian Effect BS Documentary - $7,701.50 a month
Zoe Quinn - $3970.48 a month
Movie Bob - $3923.46 a month
Brianna Wu - $3003.00 a month

Kickstarter Loot
==============
Anita Sarkeesian for Feminist Frequency - $440,000

Misc
===============
Honey Badger Radeo Legal Fund (Used part of cash to hire a disbared lawyer to act as their paralegal) - $30,000

You forgot Jennie Bharaj, who got $50,000 on Indiegogo to start up a game review aggregator website called Based Gamer, though some $20,000 of that was probably from a loan she donated to herself. As in the Indiegogo received 2 separate $10,000 anonymous donations less than 2 days before the deadline, after a 3 week extension. There's no proof of any shenanigans, but seriously, even Walter White was subtler than that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

Yeah there's a difference between standing up for a cause and taking money from suckers.

why are people who disagree with you suckers

you keep saying that feminists are bad, but you can't really demonstrate why they are bad, except that you hate them and they're stupid

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SedanChair posted:

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/cyber.2014.0492

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Shadoer posted:

so its their fault people give them money, somehow

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

All studies point to this actually being true.

I'm fantasizing right now about loving your rear end with a machete until you die from massive internal bleeding and peritonitis. Nothib' wrong with that!

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Prav posted:

Because they're walking away with fat stacks of cash.

That isn't enough to convince me, friend

Do you think they acted on purpose in order to get more money? why?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

KoldPT posted:

There have been some journalists and site owners trying to squeeze clickbait bucks out of this debacle. Some have switched sides entirely since this began, others have been reduced to running empty husks of sites where all the articles are written by two people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

No I already looked at that. My point is that if you're linking to a Forbes article by a gamer neckbeard, and not the study itself, you may be ill-qualified to weigh in on the validity of the study

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Effectronica posted:

I'm fantasizing right now about loving your rear end with a machete until you die from massive internal bleeding and peritonitis. Nothib' wrong with that!

don't kinkshame

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

There have been some journalists and site owners trying to squeeze clickbait bucks out of this debacle. Some have switched sides entirely since this began, others have been reduced to running empty husks of sites where all the articles are written by two people.

woah, it's pretty terrible that ever since gamergate happened people in the media have been sensationalizing things in order to increase ad revenue. i agree, feminists are bad

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nopantsjack posted:

In Arkham Knight there is a point where you can choose between one of two damsels to rescue, they are 2/3rds of the female characters with models thus far and the third is poison ivy who you defeat and imprison within her intro cutscene.

its a fake choice you can save both, and babs is alive and safe, her shooting herself is an illusion from all the fear toxin/joker aids. and poison ivy saves the city with trees

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

SedanChair posted:

"Controlling for age and education, it was found that sexist attitudes—measured with a brief scale assessing beliefs about gender roles in society—were not related to the amount of daily video game use or preference for specific genres for both female and male players."

So they found out that playing more hours of video games per day or preferring a genre of videogames doesn't correlate to how sexist you are. Not that videogames don't influence you.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

Maybe you should post the study and not a paid "Forbes editorial"

Alright, just thought it would be easier to post a summar. But here is the article: http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/cyber.2014.0492

this isn't the question iw as talking about with that other guy

Ah, sorry. This thread is moving at the speed of light and I am doing ten things at once

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Effectronica posted:

:staredog:

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

woah, it's pretty terrible that ever since gamergate happened people in the media have been sensationalizing things in order to increase ad revenue. i agree, feminists are bad

Good lord! My words! What have you twisted them into!?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

why are people who disagree with you suckers

you keep saying that feminists are bad, but you can't really demonstrate why they are bad, except that you hate them and they're stupid

1. They aren't really providing what they promised for the money they've been given.

2. I listed the "Sark Effect Guys" and the "Honey Badgers" in there, both of whom aren't feminists. They are gamergaters who have also made claims... and then effectively ran off with the money.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

KongMu posted:

If you had plat i'd just pm you from here on out but I don't think you do? I would like to continue but this thread moves too fast for me and i'm at work.

I do not. If you're particularly interested in the whole "culture influences behavior" thing then you'd probably be better off googling "APA culture" and going through the studies that show up anyways. Or going through the American Sociological Association's pages and journals and stuff.

edit: just remembered it, here's a study on the correlation between sexualized avatars and self objectification by women

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 26, 2015

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its a fake choice you can save both, and babs is alive and safe, her shooting herself is an illusion from all the fear toxin/joker aids. and poison ivy saves the city with trees

Oh yeah I know, just the second they gave Barbs a model you knew she was getting kidnapped.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Good lord! My words! What have you twisted them into!?

it's just terribly shameful that journalists with websites framed things in such a way as to make money, for themselves

drat sjws ruin everything!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dapper Dan posted:

Alright, just thought it would be easier to post a summar. But here is the article: http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/cyber.2014.0492

That's also a summary. Have you actually paid a dollar and read the study?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

it's just terribly shameful that journalists with websites framed things in such a way as to make money, for themselves

Hey, he was asking for opportunists :shrug:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

1. They aren't really providing what they promised for the money they've been given.

2. I listed the "Sark Effect Guys" and the "Honey Badgers" in there, both of whom aren't feminists. They are gamergaters who have also made claims... and then effectively ran off with the money.

how does this make people who disagree with you into easily duped rubes

what indicated that you are a more moral person than these people, who are gullible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

drat sjws ruin everything!

capitalism!!! :argh:

SedanChair posted:

That's also a summary. Have you actually paid a dollar and read the study?

CAPITALISM! :argh:

• Locked thread