Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the saga of the sarkeesian effect was/is amazing

somebody post cracking_up_at_the_skull.avi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Effectronica posted:

I'm fantasizing right now about loving your rear end with a machete until you die from massive internal bleeding and peritonitis. Nothib' wrong with that!
Creepy.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shadoer posted:

1. They aren't really providing what they promised for the money they've been given.

2. I listed the "Sark Effect Guys" and the "Honey Badgers" in there, both of whom aren't feminists. They are gamergaters who have also made claims... and then effectively ran off with the money.

What have Fem Freq promised?

As far as I know, they said they would do a thing for $X. They got $X + $Y. Does that mean they should have to increase their content to match the increase in Y, without ever saying they would?

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 26, 2015

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

TGLT posted:

Oracle stuff

Thank you for this info. I still think the controversy behind the cover was a bit much, being an artist myself and feeling a strong resistance towards anyone demanding art be pulled when it evokes an emotional response (unless it's bad, blatantly crass, or extremely in poor taste) but I can certainly see better that point of view.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's just terribly shameful that journalists with websites framed things in such a way as to make money, for themselves

Agreed, I do not think profit-driven journalism is a very good form of journalism, in my opinion.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bedshaped posted:

As far as I know, they said they would do a thing for $X. They got $X + $Y. Does that mean they should have to a thing + equivalent increase in content for Y?

just trust me - she's a liar and a cheat

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

As far as I know, they said they would do a thing for $X. They got $X + $Y. Does that mean they should have to a thing + equivalent increase in content for Y?

Aren't they super late as gently caress for their videos compared to the release date they were supposed to have?

It's not a super bad thing, KS's get late, but it is a thing that people might get mad about.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

UberJew posted:

Yeah. I may have issues with anita(alot with josh) but that "documentry" was such stupid poo poo made by two creepy PUA bigots.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Control Volume posted:

Agreed, I do not think profit-driven journalism is a very good form of journalism, in my opinion.

what's it like posting via telegraph from 1870

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

how does this make people who disagree with you into easily duped rubes

what indicated that you are a more moral person than these people, who are gullible

Well some of them probably agree with me, however the part they are being duped in is that they are giving money to people who it's fairly clear at this point have no intention of delivering what they promised (with the exception of Movie Bob)

I'm not more moral than people that are gullible, I think I'm more moral than the assholes that take money from well meaning people full realizing they don't intend to make good on their promises.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

UberJew posted:

This one and and this one?

And also so the other dude doesn't miss it, KongMu check out this paper on self objectificaiton and sexualized avatars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

Depends on whether they're a for-profit organisation or a quasi-charitable initiative.

Generally the former lacks ethical credibility and the latter should put surplus funds back into the project goal.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
*deet deet doot deet doot deet*

hmm.. it says "dearest sir, your mother has been identified as an admirer of sapphos." that'll be a nickel

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Bedlamdan posted:

Aren't they super late as gently caress for their videos compared to the release date they were supposed to have?

It's not a super bad thing, KS's get late, but it is a thing that people might get mad about.

Yeah, that's really more of an issue with Kickstarters in general than with Anita.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

More than 5 videos over 3 years

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
QUICK MODS, MOVE THIS THREAD TO GBS AND THEN TRAP ALL OF D&D'S SHITPOSTERS THERE DO IT QUICK

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

As far as I know, they said they would do a thing for $X. They got $X + $Y. Does that mean they should have to increase their content to match the increase in Y, without ever saying they would?

I'd argue that rather than making an actual academic study of sexism in video games, they then did a bunch of bullshit cherrypicking and twisting of details to create a pile of bullshit. Not to mention that there's no way the documentary costed anywhere near $400,000 to make and produce.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

XMNN posted:

Creepy.

Wrong fucker rear end bitch homoqueer, fantasies aren't related to reality in any way, and you're a crazy internet feminist-cultist reactionary anticapitalist if you disagree.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

Well some of them probably agree with me, however the part they are being duped in is that they are giving money to people who it's fairly clear at this point have no intention of delivering what they promised (with the exception of Movie Bob)

I'm not more moral than people that are gullible, I think I'm more moral than the assholes that take money from well meaning people full realizing they don't intend to make good on their promises.

but anita sarkeesian is still making videos? when did she stop doing what she promised she would do? last i checked she is still doing that thing, she said she would do

are you saying that her backers are gullible because they gave her money and she did a thing that didn't quite work out like she thought it would, but she's still actively working on and producing content for?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Effectronica posted:

Wrong fucker rear end bitch homoqueer, fantasies aren't related to reality in any way, and you're a crazy internet feminist-cultist reactionary anticapitalist if you disagree.
No, it's creepy.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Bholder posted:

did you pay her

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Effectronica posted:

:catstare:

are you saying that her backers are gullible because they gave her money and she did a thing that didn't quite work out like she thought it would, but she's still actively working on and producing content for?

I keep telling this to tradgames people in relation to Exalted but all I get is slings and arrows from them

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

I'd argue that rather than making an actual academic study of sexism in video games, they then did a bunch of bullshit cherrypicking and twisting of details to create a pile of bullshit. Not to mention that there's no way the documentary costed anywhere near $400,000 to make and produce.

so they're gullible because you don't like anita and you disagree w/ her

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

Whats your favorite level in Postal 2?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

Creepy.

It's a good thing none of this is real

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Effectronica posted:

A person of your stature would never lower themselves to play those dirty video games, yet all your thoughts are about violence and anger.

There you go, a proof that video games won't turn people into you.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SedanChair posted:

That's also a summary. Have you actually paid a dollar and read the study?
Actually I work in Academia and I just pulled it up.

mangled by formatting but w/e

quote:

With regard to the theories that explain the
relationship between violent video games and
aggression, our results fit best with the Cata-
lyst Model (Ferguson et al., 2008) that does
not predict a substantial influence of violent
media on real-life aggression. The idea of
violent media as a stylistic catalyst for indi-
viduals with a tendency for aggression is
compatible with the selection effect we found
for adolescents aged 14 to 17. The absence of
socialization effects in the present study con-
tradicts the assumptions of the GAM (Ander-
son & Bushman, 2002), according to which a
repeated use of violent media leads to an
increase in aggressive behavioral tendencies.
While von Salisch et al. (2011) speculated
that the selection effect they found for their
sample of third and fourth graders might be
the beginning of a downward spiral (Slater et
al., 2003), our study found no such relation-
ship for adolescents and young adults.

Generally, there's a bit of evidence of increase aggression for much younger kids but older kids and adults in general not so much.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

but anita sarkeesian is still making videos? when did she stop doing what she promised she would do? last i checked she is still doing that thing, she said she would do

Bholder posted:

Shadoer posted:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SedanChair posted:

It's a good thing none of this is real
Things don't have to be real to be creepy.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

TGLT posted:

I do not. If you're particularly interested in the whole "culture influences behavior" thing then you'd probably be better off googling "APA culture" and going through the studies that show up anyways. Or going through the American Sociological Association's pages and journals and stuff.

I agree that culture greatly influences behavior, but "culture" encompasses everything from how your parents raise you to how your friends treat you to the way the news is presented to you to the food you eat. Fictional entertainment media is only one part of that, and you can't jump from "culture as a whole influences behavior" to "this one part of culture has a great influence on behavior." Personally, my indication would be that fiction, which is, to quote an RPG writer, lies advertised as lies, would not have much of an effect compared to, for example, the values that your parents raise you with, and that the fiction a society produces would be far more a product than a cause of that society's culture. The scientific evidence seems to line up with this, as most studies only show short-term priming effects at most.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

so you're upset because this woman who you didn't give money to and who you don't agree with is taking too long to produce videos that you're not going to like anyway

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

what's it like posting via telegraph from 1870

I don't understand this post, is this supposed to be a legitimate question, an epic own upon my person, or perhaps you have a very large interest in turn of the century technology? Well so do I friend. I know many facts and trivia about such inventions as: the typewriter, the telephone line, the transistor radio. But I do not think these have a place in The Gamergate thread.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.reaxxion.com/9936/sjws-want-lead-artist-jason-martin-fired-from-new-doom-game
apperently this is happening.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

so you're upset because this woman who you didn't give money to and who you don't agree with is taking too long to produce videos that you're not going to like anyway

and such small portions, too

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Can someone in Debate and Discussion outline their theories why the harder-than-mainstream left seems to close ranks around Domestic Abusers, Paedophiles, Racists and Rapists?

Is it a twitter thing, an internet thing or a politics thing? It always seems to happen, but my experience always has twitter at the forefront.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

INH5 posted:

I agree that culture greatly influences behavior, but "culture" encompasses everything from how your parents raise you to how your friends treat you to the way the news is presented to you to the food you eat. Fictional entertainment media is only one part of that, and you can't jump from "culture as a whole influences behavior" to "this one part of culture has a great influence on behavior." Personally, my indication would be that fiction, which is, to quote an RPG writer, lies advertised as lies, would not have much of an effect compared to, for example, the values that your parents raise you with, and that the fiction a society produces would be far more a product than a cause of that society's culture. The scientific evidence seems to line up with this, as most studies only show short-term priming effects at most.

You mean I CAN'T regain health by splattering someone's brain-pan with my six shooter?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

A person of your stature would never lower themselves to play those dirty video games, yet all your thoughts are about violence and anger.

There you go, a proof that video games won't turn people into you.

Why are you incapable of dealing with external reality? Seriously, none of the hellthread conquistadors have fully-functioning human brains, yet they keep trying to talk down to people. It boggles the mind.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

No, that a whole bunch of men and women went into #gamergate and feminism with hat in hand and sold them a bunch of snake oil in order to cash in.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jesus loving Christ.

FAROOQ posted:

Can someone in Debate and Discussion outline their theories why the harder-than-mainstream left seems to close ranks around Domestic Abusers, Paedophiles, Racists and Rapists?

Is it a twitter thing, an internet thing or a politics thing? It always seems to happen, but my experience always has twitter at the forefront.

Because retweeting prominent feminists is like Indulgences from the Catholic Church basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Shadoer posted:

No, that a whole bunch of men and women went into #gamergate and feminism with hat in hand and sold them a bunch of snake oil in order to cash in.

so what youre saying you dont want entrepreneurs to take advantage of an emerging market? are you a communist?

• Locked thread