Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

I think Texas's law applied only to Blacks marrying non-Blacks. But I'm too lazy to look up the exact wording.

miscegenation laws typically applied to any non-white minority trying to marry a white person, which was the main reason why it was stuck down (it wasn't "separate but equal" since other races could marry each other).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bpower posted:

Wow, southern whites had a nice little fascist police state going there. No wonder they're pissed since the 60s.

Don't worry, the powerful southerners learned they already had all the tools they need without needing the overly racist ones.

And the poor white remains on the caboose of the train but it ain’t him to blame

computer parts posted:

miscegenation laws typically applied to any non-white minority trying to marry a white person, which was the main reason why it was stuck down (it wasn't "separate but equal" since other races could marry each other).

And in the case of the Texas law, it prevented marriage between blacks and non-blacks (aka whites) and allowed the marriage of Anglos and Mexicans.

Edit: yeah Blacks and Filipinos couldn't marry whites in Texas: http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/engl_258/Lecture%20Notes/american_antimiscegenation.htm

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 26, 2015

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Leviathan Song posted:

I think that would describe the entire Oklahoma democratic party, me included. Maybe you could extrapolate that to other traditionally red states? It is in line with European liberal politics.

And east coast Rockefeller Republicans. Who are probably slightly to the left of the Oklahoma Democratic Party.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
For beauty pageant owner, no apology.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joementum posted:

For beauty pageant owner, no apology.

He's saying the countries largest (likely by a huge margin) Spanish language shouldn't be allowed to show the presidential debate because they think one of the candidates is an rear end in a top hat? If that's the criteria most networks would be disqualified.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Now he has banned Univision from using his golf course. :munch:

quote:

In the letter, Trump writes to Falco, "Please be advised that under no circumstances is any officer or representative of Univision allowed to use Trump National Doral, Miami—its golf courses or any of its facilities. Also, please immediately stop work and close the gate which is being constructed between our respective properties. If this is not done within one week, we will close it."

In a post-script, Trump added: "Please congratulate your Mexican Government officials for having made such outstanding trade deals with the United States. However, inform them that should I become President, those days are over. We are bringing jobs back to the U.S. Also, a meaningful border will be immediately created, not the laughingstock that currently exists."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I think we now know his ISIS plan. No yooooge classy golf courses.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

He also doxed a Univision anchor

http://www.politico.com//blogs/media/2015/06/trump-publishes-jorge-ramos-phone-number-209568.html

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Holy poo poo.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Anyone know what some of these people said when the SCOTUS ruled in favor of individual gun ownership rights regarding the second amendment?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jesus, what a whiny bitch.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I cannot think of two more diametrically opposed people in terms of seriousness and credibility than Jorge Ramos and Donald Trump.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
Someone should take guns grits and gravy and shove them up pedophile apologist and enabler huckabees rear end.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I guess we knew it was going to be crazy when Trump announced, but this is beyond anything I imagined. I thought he would have some self control, but obviously I was a childish fool.
:munch:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Star Man posted:

What was fun was Dubya campaigning in 2004 that he would ban same-sex marriage whike Cheney would try to avoid the question because his daughter is a lesbian.

Cheney outright broke ranks and publically supported gay marriage and opposed Bush's proposed constitutional amendment during the 2004 campaign. He still said it should be up to individual states but I think your characterization is unfair.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You think you're going to get tired of watching Trump knock over his pile of blocks and yell "You can't play anymore because it's my Nintendo and I'm saying you can't use it!" but nope, it only gets funnier and funnier.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Donald Trump owns and I am so happy he is officially a 2016 GOP Presidential Contender

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Theory: the other candidates are deliberately trying to keep their numbers low to avoid getting invited to a debate with Trump.

Think about it :tinfoil:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trabisnikof posted:

So did Obama?

Even Biden did too.

It's almost as if there's another candidate that's been in favor of gay marriage since the late 90s or something :shrug:

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So did I miss one, or is Jeb! the only one that isn't pushing for a constitutional amendment?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

McGlockenshire posted:

So did I miss one, or is Jeb! the only one that isn't pushing for a constitutional amendment?

Ted Cruz isn't.

He's calling for an Article V Constitutional Convention.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't think Marco has said anything has he?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"Kids I am running for president" Jindal has a solution to Supreme Court

Get rid of it

quote:

Louisiana Gov, Bobby Jindal (R) on Friday suggested doing away with the Supreme Court during a speech in Iowa that followed the court's historic ruling on same-sex marriage.

"The Supreme Court is completely out of control, making laws on their own, and has become a public opinion poll instead of a judicial body," he told the crowd, as quoted by The Advocate newspaper. "If we want to save some money lets just get rid of the court."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bobby-jindal-get-rid-of-scotus

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't he say this about someone else in regards to a different golf course, only for it to come out that he just sold his name to the course and had no control over who they could ban?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz isn't.

He's calling for an Article V Constitutional Convention.

Has that ever happened? I mean, since the 1700's?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It seems like this week the Supreme Court has really put republicans in a tough spot.

Jeb seems to be the only one who put out a response that's not going to completely gently caress him.

I mean, what the gently caress are they supposed to do? We already know people like Huckabee and Santorum will never be the nominee but even people in these top slots seem still hosed.

You're going to have a pissed off conservative base that demands nothing less than full loyalty to every point, but that's not going to win you moderate votes.

However, the candidates start trying to appeal more moderate, they're base is going to feel hosed over and they'll come across as flip-floppy (billday.jpg) and not strong for conservatives or moderates.

It just feels that conservatives are proper hosed right now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Rollofthedice posted:

Has that ever happened? I mean, since the 1700's?

Not even then. Because the convention in the 1700s was convened to write the constitution, it wasn't convened under Article V (because it didn't exist.) There has never been an Article V
Convention.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordiceius posted:

It seems like this week the Supreme Court has really put republicans in a tough spot.

Jeb seems to be the only one who put out a response that's not going to completely gently caress him.

I mean, what the gently caress are they supposed to do? We already know people like Huckabee and Santorum will never be the nominee but even people in these top slots seem still hosed.

You're going to have a pissed off conservative base that demands nothing less than full loyalty to every point, but that's not going to win you moderate votes.

However, the candidates start trying to appeal more moderate, they're base is going to feel hosed over and they'll come across as flip-floppy (billday.jpg) and not strong for conservatives or moderates.

It just feels that conservatives are proper hosed right now.

Yea it's almost like basing your platform on endless extremist rhetoric backfires really easily as soon as the public begins to turn away from that poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Get rid of it

Its a race to the bottom.

No, seriously the only people who are going to get behind this are the ones who've voted GOP for 40+ years. Anyone with the slightest liberal tendency is going to look at them as a "holy gently caress what is wrong with these people"

I cannot wait for the debates when this comes up, and the candidates have to backtrack or fully commit to abolishing the Supreme Court.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

McGlockenshire posted:

im pretty sure lindsey graham said that "we should respect the judges decision" but i might be hallucinating

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Get rid of it

Hahaha man is he desperate. And just think: these ploys for attention might have worked if we didn't have the yoogest, most luxurious candidate already in the race.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's almost like basing your platform on endless extremist rhetoric backfires really easily as soon as the public begins to turn away from that poo poo.

My roommate and I were talking about it and it just really feels like there is no way for conservative running to salvage their candidacies.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Kalman posted:

Not even then. Because the convention in the 1700s was convened to write the constitution, it wasn't convened under Article V (because it didn't exist.) There has never been an Article V
Convention.

Well then that just makes a great idea even better

Mordiceius posted:

My roommate and I were talking about it and it just really feels like there is no way for conservative running to salvage their candidacies.

Should we start expecting a landslide win for Dem's in 2016?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kalman posted:

Convention.

This alternative is right out of the Mark Levin book and Levin was touting it yesterday on his radio show. You have to marvel at the hypocrisy of people who claim that they love the Constitution so much that they have to write a new one to save the old one.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
I feel like the Republicans are running on just pure spite now.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

radical meme posted:

This alternative is right out of the Mark Levin book and Levin was touting it yesterday on his radio show. You have to marvel at the hypocrisy of people who claim that they love the Constitution so much that they have to write a new one to save the old one.

No, the concept of a national convention is totally in the Constitution, and theoretically is an option for amendment proposition. It's just never ever ever even once been used in the history of the U.S..

edit: oh wait, I think I misunderstood you. Sorry!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rollofthedice posted:

Well then that just makes a great idea even better

Nah, a win is still the likely outcome but the right is gonna pick Jeb or Marco, someone who appeals to moderates without looking like a mildly retarded door to door seed salesman (sorry Scott :smith:) and they'll put up a decent fight. Hillary is real bad at campaigning.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Rollofthedice posted:

no

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Mordiceius posted:

The ACA ruling was pretty beneficial to their campaigns because it means they can still make a plank of their platforms shouting over each other to see who hates Obamacare the most. If the subsidies got struck down the republicans would have gotten blamed, and they'd have to start figuring out the "replace" part of "repeal and replace."

Gay marriage is harder, as they all now have to throw in behind an increasingly unpopular position. The smarter ones will dog whistle with "state's rights" and "religious freedom," but it's still an uphill battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
killary will win by about a 4-6 point margin in the PV and maybe pick up another Obama 2012 state but that has very little to do with her or jeb bush

• Locked thread