Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think if youve reached the point where youre inventing a reverse-hagiography about a woman who makes boring entry-level videos about princess peach you might be a crazy person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I am kind of confused about all the hand wringing about this Mcintosh guy, the dude has been talking about the new Batman game and I find myself agreeing with a lot of what he has to say about it. Batman is a downright rear end in a top hat in that game and it's either me growing up or just oversaturated with Batman stuff, but I find the character of Batman boring as hell.

I said come in! posted:

It's just that the entire point of FemFrequency is that it is about women in entertainment.

I really don't see how this helps your argument.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

You've made the trigger warning joke four times in this thread so far, and I hate to tell you this, but not once has it been funny or advanced your argument. Sorry.

I don't care. I'm not posting for you, I post for myself and that is feminist as gently caress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

I really don't see how this helps your argument.

Are you really not able to see how a man writing the script for a video series about women, is kinda stupid?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

Are you really not able to see how a man writing the script for a video series about women, is kinda stupid?

that isn't stupid at all. men write about women all the time

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bicyclops posted:

You've made the trigger warning joke four times in this thread so far, and I hate to tell you this, but not once has it been funny or advanced your argument. Sorry.

It's only to protect ptsd victims, you see

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I said come in! posted:

pretty much this. have someone like laura K fight sexism in gaming. at least she likes video games, is interesting to listen and doesn't have a victim complex a mile wide.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

I said come in! posted:

Well clearly the woman was unable to come up with her own thoughts rather than just hiring a writer and bringing this up makes you not an rear end because

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I said come in! posted:

No, one of the biggest historians on slavery (Ira Berlin) is a white guy. I don't see how that affects what Anita has to say. I mean, Anita can still choose to say what she wants in the end.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much this. have someone like laura K fight sexism in gaming. at least she likes video games, is interesting to listen and doesn't have a victim complex a mile wide.

When you get death threats, you no longer really have a victim complex, you are actually a victim. Also, I don't know why people think she doesn't like video games, and even then try to use it to discredit people. You don't have to be a slave to understand the legacy that came from it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Venom Snake posted:

still tho lol if anything anita says actually deeply upsets you
Agreed.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

No, one of the biggest historians on slavery (Ira Berlin) is a white guy. I don't see how that affects what Anita has to say. I mean, Anita can still choose to say what she wants in the end.

since feminists hate men, it's weird that she's relying on a man to do all her work for her

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah i have to agree. The biggest point against McIntosh is that on twitter he's a raving lunatic, not that he's a white man writing parts of Anita's blog.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

"Trigger" lost its meaning thanks to Tumblr.

Same goes to words like patriarchy, problematic, privilege, sexuality.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

That's why they choked the black manto death for smoking. What if he would have sold those cigarettes to children?

http://m.snopes.com/2015/06/02/manspreading-arrest/

Other biased sites like breitbart went crazy about it.

But the snopes article correctly, though disingenuously suggests that since "manspreading" doesn't have a particular criminal code, they were obviously not arrested for manspreading. The violation is a standard "subway ticket" that you would get for passing between cars, sleeping, etc.

IT JUST SO HAPPENS that these two people had outstanding warrants and when they were ticketed for the violation of "manspreading" they had their IDs run and lo and behold, they had other outstanding warrants. so therefore no one should ever complain about this Just and Necessary policy, that just so happens to target males who happen to be darker then a paper bag.

Also apparently stop and frisk was cool and good too.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
The best part of these threads is when people's criticisms of perceived hypocrisy reveal their own sexism but they are not sophisticated enough to even understand what they did

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

That's why they choked the black manto death for smoking. What if he would have sold those cigarettes to children?

But the snopes article correctly, though disingenuously suggests that since "manspreading" doesn't have a particular criminal code, they were obviously not arrested for manspreading. The violation is a standard "subway ticket" that you would get for passing between cars, sleeping, etc.

IT JUST SO HAPPENS that these two people had outstanding warrants and when they were ticketed for the violation of "manspreading" they had their IDs run and lo and behold, they had other outstanding warrants. so therefore no one should ever complain about this Just and Necessary policy, that just so happens to target males who happen to be darker then a paper bag.

Giving the police more power will keep us safe from the tweets

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

By the way, I have been meaning to check out that new GTFO movie, has anyone seen it yet?

Shadoer posted:

Yeah i have to agree. The biggest point against McIntosh is that on twitter he's a raving lunatic, not that he's a white man writing parts of Anita's blog.

I have only recently started following the guy on twitter, as I said before, his latest stuff is about how Batman is a male power fantasy that tortures people throughout the games. I wouldn't really call that lunacy considering I agree with him on that point.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bholder posted:

No not really, tumblr was never the issue, just a convenient flag to wrap disagreements with the fundamental concepts in.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but it only lost meaning for pedophiles, and it was because of a magic spell that I cast, and really, I'm not sorry at all.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

i agree that police brutality is an inherently liberal and democratic problem

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

blackguy32 posted:

I have only recently started following the guy on twitter, as I said before, his latest stuff is about how Batman is a male power fantasy that tortures people throughout the games. I wouldn't really call that lunacy considering I agree with him on that point.
It's not exactly an original reading of the subtext though. Like it's pretty much the text at this point.

Before that he was throwing a shitfit about Lara Croft climbing a mountain unsafely because it glorified people taking risks. Like I can sort of see where he's coming from on the "lots of games are excessively violent" front (though I think that's a good thing) but he's pretty much a wet towel made flesh.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

blackguy32 posted:

Also, I don't know why people think she doesn't like video games, and even then try to use it to discredit people. You don't have to be a slave to understand the legacy that came from it.

People think Anita doesn't like video games because there is a video of her from 2010 in which she says that she doesn't like video games. Of course, she claims to have changed her mind since then, but you can't really blame people for wondering after seeing that.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
if you take that she doesn't write the things she says, then why are people getting so mad at her? that's like getting mad at a news anchor for saying that somebody ran your cat over

the cat in this case is video game's.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah that would him be being relatively sane... however if you go through his history a bit, well it's one hell of a crazy train.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

INH5 posted:

People think Anita doesn't like video games because there is a video of her from 2010 in which she says that she doesn't like video games. Of course, she claims to have changed her mind since then, but you can't really blame people for wondering after seeing that.

why did that ever come up. why are you freaks stalking people. why hasn't god cleansed this sinful earth.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never watched any of anita's videos, what am I missing?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

INH5 posted:

Doesn't really matter though. Just a juvenile ad hom. Liking your hobby doesn't change valid criticisms and I know tons of feminist gamers who like her vids.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Effectronica posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but it only lost meaning for pedophiles, and it was because of a magic spell that I cast, and really, I'm not sorry at all.

maybe you should cast some haruspicy to find a freaking clue!!

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Why does the term "youtube personality" exist? why does the term "videogames journalism" exist? why do any of us exist?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Red Suit posted:

Some commentary on sexism in video games.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Rodatose posted:

if she doesn't write the things she says, then why are people getting so mad at her? that's like getting mad at a news anchor for saying that somebody ran your cat over

the cat in this case is video game's

People do get mad at McIntosh more than her. About 30% of the posts on the "E-Celeb Drama Thread" on 8-chan's GamerGate board are "look at this stupid thing McIntosh said on Twitter."

XMNN posted:

Before that he was throwing a shitfit about Lara Croft climbing a mountain unsafely because it glorified people taking risks. Like I can sort of see where he's coming from on the "lots of games are excessively violent" front (though I think that's a good thing) but he's pretty much a wet towel made flesh.

Not just that, he worried that the trailer might inspire people to go off and climb mountains unsafely like Lara does in the video. Seriously, who has a mountain in their backyard that they could just walk off and unsafely climb on a whim?

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zeitgueist posted:

Some commentary on sexism in video games.

Eh I'd rather just play video games.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zeitgueist posted:

We should constantly joke about trigger warnings because a Transdragon on tumblr misused it one time guys I Care

We should constantly joke about trigger warning because on the internet they are bullshit tone policing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

XMNN posted:

It's not exactly an original reading of the subtext though. Like it's pretty much the text at this point.

Some people are pretty blind to text as it stands. I pretty much saw tons of people attacking him for having such a benign opinion.

But as for my opinion on the whole thing, I will be glad to get some more protagonists that aren't white males and I really don't understand why they don't try to branch out a bit. I mean, Resident Evil as a franchise is teeming with characters and they are all white people with the exception of Sheva and Ada. Basically, why can't more games be like Beyond Good and Evil when it comes to diversifying?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Red Suit posted:

Hitman allows you to take ragdolled corpses and arrange a tea party with them.

This is bad for women and a violent display of toxic masculinity.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Remember when religious fundamentalists were arguing against gay pride parades and showing gay couples because it made them feel uncomfortable, and they shouldn't flaunt that stuff in their faces, and it was really disgusting?

What's really the difference between that and the tumblr version of triggers?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

INH5 posted:

she says that she likes video games a lot, like hundreds of times, but then she said she doesn't like video games once, so clearly she doesn't like video games after all

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinnlos posted:

My apologies. I'll have to watch it later.

It's an interesting film and he talks to a fairly diverse group of people on the thesis he presents at the start. At least, for someone who knows next to nothing about the sociological situations in the UK.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Bholder posted:

"Trigger" in tumblr-land is a dog whistle for that other word that begins with an n and rhymes with the former.

Example: I just saw this triggering person and had to cross the street and get away. I was literally shaking and had to calm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

INH5 posted:

People do get mad at McIntosh more than her. About 30% of the posts on the "E-Celeb Drama Thread" on 8-chan's GamerGate board are "look at this stupid thing McIntosh said on Twitter."
This thread is lacking in Tweet Batches.

• Locked thread