Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Will the Gold Hairpin halve the MP use of the Rune Axe or is it just spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
First blind playthrough going well!

Black Mage/loving Berserker/Ranger/Samurai, GBA version.

My one question: Is there an easy in-game way to see the stat changes from equipping an ability? I know they exist because !Black gives my Samurai enough magic that some bosses end up with him in the back row throwing these -ga spells I jut got. Rather not have to look it up on the Internet, you know?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Will the Gold Hairpin halve the MP use of the Rune Axe or is it just spells?

Just spells. That said, at ten MP a shot, there's very few things that will still be alive by the time the tank runs out, so there's no need to worry.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Win for the win god. Back part opened the fight with delta attack, which reflected on to the almagest part and killed it.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 26, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My one question: Is there an easy in-game way to see the stat changes from equipping an ability? I know they exist because !Black gives my Samurai enough magic that some bosses end up with him in the back row throwing these -ga spells I jut got. Rather not have to look it up on the Internet, you know?

Short of equipping the ability then looking at the status screen, not really.

In general, though, most abilities pass on the relevant stat from that ability's class. Equip Swords/Axes give strength, !Black/!White/!Time/!Red/!Summon pass on the magic, etc.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Huxley posted:

Tonight's the night my band of thieves takes down Garula.

Currently level 10. I took a halfhearted stab at him last night with not enough potions using the back-row strategy and it felt doable, though I'd rather not spend 1200 hit points bonking him 22 at a time. I feel like that's not fast enough and I'll end up needing more than 99 potions anyway. At least I think I can go team attack to halfway when he starts countering.

Make sure you have mythril daggers from the Wyverns / Y Burns! I've done it twice now with four thieves and I think it works best to have one dude in the front row as the only one doing the hitting and the other three slinging potions.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Whelp trying to get Golem with three Beserkers and 1 summoner was fun. Went great after someone in IRC kindly informed me that death refreshes undead enemies HP. Guess who was still rocking three death scythes. :doh:

Prancer
Nov 17, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Are there any specific rooms in the Barrier Tower you guys use to grind reflect rings? I just want to find a room with Reflect Knights but without those dirt ghost fuckers who blind on counter.

I usually grind on the sixth floor since I rembember reading that there is where reflect knight is most common.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

I am confused on my progression path at this point. Do I have to do Fork tower to beat the game? If so how do I go about beating Omnicient as Ranger/Samurai/Samurai/Dragoon?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gently caress, forgot I had to do the Island Shrine and Fork Tower to get the submarine to go to Istory Falls. I'll probably just !Smoke my way through. I need to power up the Chicken Knife anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Koobes posted:

I am confused on my progression path at this point. Do I have to do Fork tower to beat the game? If so how do I go about beating Omnicient as Ranger/Samurai/Samurai/Dragoon?

Nope. Everything after the Pyramid is 100% optional. Just point your airship at the void formerly known as Castle Tycoon once you're ready to finish the game.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Koobes posted:

Fork Tower is optional.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No, but here's everything from the Algorithms guide:

pre:
Note that none of these modifiers are applied if it ends up lowering a 
character's stat (i.e. Knight with Equip Whip will retain his own Strength 
value and not the Mediator's Strength).

WHITE
Magic Power = White Mage Magic Power - 2 * (6 - White Mage Job Level)

BLACK
Magic Power = Black Mage Magic Power - 3 * (6 - Black Mage Job Level)

SUMMON
Magic Power = Summoner Magic Power - 4 * (5 - Summoner Job Level)

DIMEN
Magic Power = Time Mage Magic Power - 2 * (6 - Time Mage Job Level)

BLUE
Magic Power = Blue Mage Magic Power

RED
Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power - (3 - Red Mage Job Level)
If Red Mage Job Level = 4, Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power

X-MAGIC
Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power

MAGIC SWORD
Magic Power = Mystic Knight Magic Power - 2 * (7 - Mystic Knight Job Level)
Strength = Mystic Knight Strength - 2 * (7 - Mystic Knight Job Level)

EQUIP SWORD
Strength = Knight Strength

EQUIP SPEAR
Strength = Dragoon Strength

EQUIP KATANA
Strength = Samurai Strength

EQUIP AXE
Strength = Berserker Strength

EQUIP BOW
Strength = Hunter Strength
Agility = Hunter Agility

EQUIP WHIP
Strength = Mediator Strength
Agility = Mediator Agility

EQUIP HARP
Magic Power = Bard Magic Power
Agility = Bard Agility

BRAWL
Strength = Monk Strength

DBL GRIP
Strength = 37 (applied before Character bonuses)

AGILITY
Agility = Thief Agility

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Nope. Everything after the Pyramid is 100% optional. Just point your airship at the void formerly known as Castle Tycoon once you're ready to finish the game.

Natalya Fartz posted:

Fork Tower is optional.

Thanks guys!

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Koobes posted:

Any team with one or more reflect rings can beat Omniscient by waiting (6 Hours) for him to run out of mana, then beating him down because he can't reset the fight. Then give him an ether and do it again.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Pretty easy - Kyrosiris helped me over the Neo-Exdeath bump by directing me to the Crystelle release, thankfully. Only other major issues were Omniscient (for Reflect Rings from Istory I didn't wind up using, har), Liquid Flame v 4x Berserkers, and Sol Cannon, but I got through it all!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
just got ninja black mage mystic knight and bard

I think this is a really really good pull. Seems super strong

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hubris.height posted:

yeah that's an insanely powerful team

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Because I am literally incapable of not doing stupid things, my second run through is a Classic run. It's been fairly dull, surprise surprise, so I haven't been putting much time into it.

By which I mean I low efforted Shinryu (tried Omega and that's probably not happening without a lot of grinding and lolno). Now to just get the last Genji armor piece and kill NED.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

hubris.height posted:

It is super strong, yes. Like, you should have no problems triple crowning this team.

The elemental scrolls your ninja can !Throw are more powerful than the -ra spells and based off Magic Power, so giving the Ninja !Black and the Black Mage !Throw helps them both out. Sure, you have rod-breaking as an option, but this is one team that has no need to do so.

Spellblade with an elemental spell ignores defense and gains a multiplier if the target is weak to it, and with an ailment, it'll always inflict it if it hits, and always miss if the monster's immune. Spellblade Sleep works on quite a few bosses, and you can just toast them with magic at your leisure.

Bard is great for keeping randoms (and Omega) locked down with Romeo's Ballad, and buffing up your stats later in the game.

The main issue is your lack of spike healing, and even then you can grab some Flame Rings and take care of that issue quite tidily.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Something to inspire those of you crazy enough to attempt Omega:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8jcIO6qY1g

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

:toot:

My first ever playthrough of FFV, and by consequence my first Fiesta!

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Lurdiak posted:

Something to inspire those of you crazy enough to attempt Omega:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8jcIO6qY1g

Never Forget

Allow him just one breath, and The Ultimate Weapon will destroy any opposition.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

On the one hand, I do appreciate how Red Mages are pretty uniquely ideal for killing Metamorphs in human form.

On the other, seriously, gently caress grinding for drops.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:toot:

Team throw money and rapid fire wins!

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost-Slug posted:

I'm scared about my Water roll though - what if it's Berserker? :ohdear:

I'm just before Walse and I read earlier in the thread that there are potential missables there so I bit the bullet and sent #Water to Gilgabot.

Time to whip out the pointy hats! :toot: I'm not sure there's any particular synergy between Monk and Time Mage but I'm glad that at the very least I've got some utility spells and I'll be able to break rods in an emergency.

I was having a quick look at what Time Mages can do in this game and apparently their Mute ability is bugged on the GBA version? What does the bug do?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ghost-Slug posted:

I'm just before Walse and I read earlier in the thread that there are potential missables there so I bit the bullet and sent #Water to Gilgabot.

Time to whip out the pointy hats! :toot: I'm not sure there's any particular synergy between Monk and Time Mage but I'm glad that at the very least I've got some utility spells and I'll be able to break rods in an emergency.

I was having a quick look at what Time Mages can do in this game and apparently their Mute ability is bugged on the GBA version? What does the bug do?

spell doesn't work on enemies

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Ghost-Slug posted:

Haste synergizes extremely well with every class.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Does anyone have that list from last year that listed what elements and statuses each boss is vulnerable to? I thought it was on the first post, but I'm not seeing it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost-Slug posted:

I'm not sure there's any particular synergy between Monk and Time Mage but I'm glad that at the very least I've got some utility spells and I'll be able to break rods in an emergency.

Monks actually have a lot of synergy with pure casters; a Monk with an ability like !Time is basically as effective a caster as a Time Mage while simultaneously having Monk HP and counter attacks, and HP+30% is a solid secondary skill for any pure mage because they're so effective unto themselves that bonus passive survivability is a fine choice.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Fungah! posted:

spell doesn't work on enemies

Having used a time mage in my current run I can tell you that this is completely untrue. I used Mute to great effect on the mage-heavy groups in Castle Exdeath.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Ghost-Slug posted:

Congratulations on your Omega Kill.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Edward_Tohr posted:

On the one hand, I do appreciate how Red Mages are pretty uniquely ideal for killing Metamorphs in human form.

How's this work?

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Re-registered for a normal run because I'm a chicken.

Rolled Knight for my first job!

420 Select 'Attack' Everyday :black101:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Edward_Tohr posted:

It is super strong, yes. Like, you should have no problems triple crowning this team.

The elemental scrolls your ninja can !Throw are more powerful than the -ra spells and based off Magic Power, so giving the Ninja !Black and the Black Mage !Throw helps them both out. Sure, you have rod-breaking as an option, but this is one team that has no need to do so.

Spellblade with an elemental spell ignores defense and gains a multiplier if the target is weak to it, and with an ailment, it'll always inflict it if it hits, and always miss if the monster's immune. Spellblade Sleep works on quite a few bosses, and you can just toast them with magic at your leisure.

Bard is great for keeping randoms (and Omega) locked down with Romeo's Ballad, and buffing up your stats later in the game.

The main issue is your lack of spike healing, and even then you can grab some Flame Rings and take care of that issue quite tidily.

quoting this for later

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

How's this work?

They're vulnerable to sleep, and then can be set on fire until dead.

Black Mages can do it, too, but they can't use the Staff of Light, so it's kind of a wash. :v:

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013
Run 2 complete, Beast/Beast/Beast/Dragoon have taken down both NED and Shinryu.

I got lucky while fighting Shinryu and actually managed to steal the dragon whisker from him, which wound up doing pretty decent damage against Neo's dragon part (a little more than 2k).

I'd take down Omega too, but apparently I sold my blitz whip at some point so I guess I can forget about that :(

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Uuuugggghhh... finally.

Could barely make a dent at level 21; at level 23, only had to use 10 Elixirs.

"only"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm streaming my run in case you guys are idiots and want to watch me talk over a 20 year old game.

http://www.twitch.tv/lurdiak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

If I wanted to do a second run, can I use the same twitter account, or do I have to make a throwaway?

• Locked thread