Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Control Volume posted:

Tumblr devalued the meaning of the word "trigger" on Tumblr.

Like right wing people with SJW and GBS with cuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Maybe he's just seeking attention from her while she's on stage giving a presentation he wasn't invited to?

as i said before, He writes all or most of her arguments. She just makes them palatible. Hell she even thanks him for his help in her thesis work. She will never throw him out. I think their should be feminist critics of games, its just they are poo poo at it.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blackguy32 posted:

By the way, I have been meaning to check out that new GTFO movie, has anyone seen it yet?

I have only recently started following the guy on twitter, as I said before, his latest stuff is about how Batman is a male power fantasy that tortures people throughout the games. I wouldn't really call that lunacy considering I agree with him on that point.

We're talking about a guy who called escapism 'right wing'. He is not mentally all there.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Red Suit posted:

Like right wing people with SJW and GBS with cuck?

Cuck used to mean something on GBS, you could say cuck on GBS and people would know what it truly meant, and its real purpose, but now you just post it and people go "oh its the funny word" or "nice meme idiot". However, this has not impacted my ability to say cuck in casual conversations to coworkers, friends, drive through clerks, and my therapist, a privilege that I exercise on a daily basis.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Shadoer posted:

Not in the mainstream, but it's been tossed around at Universities and at various conventions.

Yes for a number of valid incidents not just for "uncomfortable"

A very small number of folks use it wrong, like any term, but 99% of the time people whining about it are using that as a fig leaf for fundamental disagreement

Same tactic guys upset that they couldn't tell racist jokes used about "PC"

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Shadoer posted:

Not in the mainstream, but it's been tossed around at Universities and at various conventions.
This nonsense was endemic in the university I went to it and wasn't even a campus particularly known for that style of activism. Imagine trying to get to a scheduled lecture or event or get work done when being forced to pass through this and this sort of shameful display.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Red Suit posted:

I've never watched any of anita's videos, what am I missing?

Milquetoast Introduction to Women's Studies material illustrated through boring nerdy stuff or radical social marxism that is a plot by Jewish bolsheviks trying to weaken our pure white culture, depending on what forum you read about it in.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
educated people must be crazy or else all the stuff they say would make sense!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bholder posted:

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Yeah that's what I am saying

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Control Volume posted:

Cuck used to mean something on GBS, you could say cuck on GBS and people would know what it truly meant, and its real purpose, but now you just post it and people go "oh its the funny word" or "nice meme idiot". However, this has not impacted my ability to say cuck in casual conversations to coworkers, friends, drive through clerks, and my therapist, a privilege that I exercise on a daily basis.

Same

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Does anyone remember "Anita Sarkeesian was trained to smile like a white person?" Hahaha

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

educated people must be crazy or else all the stuff they say would make sense!

Unless they disagree with me, then they are right wing misogynists who's ideas aren't even worth discussing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as i said before, He writes all or most of her arguments. She just makes them palatible. Hell she even thanks him for his help in her thesis work. She will never throw him out. I think their should be feminist critics of games, its just they are poo poo at it.

I think their critiques are ok, if not a little basic.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Oddly enough many of the folks I've seen criticise her also don't agree with even the basic parts of her arguments

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Milquetoast Introduction to Women's Studies material illustrated through boring nerdy stuff or radical social marxism that is a plot by Jewish bolsheviks trying to weaken our pure white culture, depending on what forum you read about it in.

The second one sounds much crazier and therefore more interesting

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Shadoer posted:

Unless they disagree with me, then they are right wing misogynists who's ideas aren't even worth discussing.

This unironically

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

this statement doesn't even sensibly build on my statement. it's a non sequiter. is this the best you can do? i challenge you, to post better

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Red Suit posted:

The second one sounds much crazier and therefore more interesting

Boy are you gonna be dissapointed

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How long until we accuse others of caring that was my favorite part of the last thread.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Does anyone remember "Anita Sarkeesian was trained to smile like a white person?" Hahaha
No, that sounds pretty funny, though. Which internet cesspool was that?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Is there some special way to do it?
Purely theoretical interest, I'm a Slav and never smile.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I like both those things!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish Anita would wear less make up

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al Cowens posted:

This nonsense was endemic in the university I went to it and wasn't even a campus particularly known for that style of activism. Imagine trying to get to a scheduled lecture or event or get work done when being forced to pass through this and this sort of shameful display.

lol you can't be serious

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

rip hellthread where will noyami k whore for attention now

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Venom Snake posted:

I wish Anita would wear less make up

Wtf? Why would care?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Pyromancer posted:

Is there some special way to do it?
Purely theoretical interest, I'm a Slav and never smile.

Remember when Arnie smiled in the Terminator 2 Directors Cut?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeitgueist posted:

Wtf? Why would care?

She looks better without it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
god i can't get ANY WORK DONE at my elite Canadian institution with several libraries and massive multi billion dollar campus *fails out of first year*

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

XMNN posted:

No, that sounds pretty funny, though. Which internet cesspool was that?

It was the dude who looks either like a chubby version of Kane from command and conquer or a chubby version of the warlock from contemporary christian musician Carman's hit music video "The Witch's Invitation" or whatev

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Dreylad posted:

lol you can't be serious

Well

http://www.economist.com/news/unite.../triggerunhappy

quote:

Trigger-unhappy

Student “safety” has become a real threat to free speech on campus

FOR an hour or two on a foggy morning last December, some students at the University of Iowa (UI) mistook one of their professors, Serhat Tanyolacar, for a fan of the Ku Klux Klan. Mr Tanyolacar had placed a canvas effigy based on Klan robes, screen-printed with news cuttings about racial violence, on the Pentacrest, the university’s historic heart. The effigy had a camera in its hood to record public reactions.

The reaction among some black students was to fear for their safety, and that is not surprising. What is more of a puzzle—for anyone outside American academia, at least—is that students and UI bosses continued denouncing Mr Tanyolacar for threatening campus safety even after the misunderstanding was cleared up. In vain did the Turkish-born academic explain that he is a “social-political artist”, using Klan imagery to provoke debate about racism. Under pressure from angry students, university chiefs issued two separate apologies. The first expressed regret that students had been exposed to a “deeply offensive” artwork, adding that there is no room for “divisive” speech at UI. The second apologised for taking too long to remove a display which had “terrorised” black students and locals, thereby failing to ensure that all students, faculty, staff and visitors felt “respected and safe”. An unhappy Mr Tanyolacar feels abandoned by the university. He left Iowa earlier this month, when his visiting fellowship came to an end, and has suspended his teaching career.

A crucial word in this tale is “safe”. Campus activists have stretched the meaning of safety from an important but second-order concern—shielding students from serious harm—to a defining ambition for any well-run academy. From town-sized public universities to tiny liberal-arts colleges, students have declared and administrators accepted that teachers or visiting speakers should aim for a psychologically safe learning environment, avoiding ideas or imagery that might prove distressing.

Activists sometimes organise campus “safe spaces” where students may flee alarming material. Door-stickers denote full-time safe zones for specific groups, such as gay and transgender students, or religious non-believers. Demands have multiplied for “trigger warnings”—a device first seen in self-help and feminist internet forums, signalling content that may trigger painful memories—to be applied to challenging books, films or lectures.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

rip hellthread where will noyami k whore for attention now

Is there a reason noyami k can't whore for attention here, or is he banned from D&D like Tezzor?

For that matter... I wonder what Tezzor is doing without us.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Venom Snake posted:

She looks better without it

Thanks for this

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Noyemi K, despite being a prominent hellthread poster, was not particularly interested in posting about Gamergate. I don't think you have much to worry about.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
uh yeah if i was a black guy and came around a corner to see some klan poo poo out in the open id be pretty unsympathetic to a guy claiming hes trying to start a conversation

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

if that prevents you from getting your work done you should go to health services and see if you have ADD or something.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Shadoer posted:

Is there a reason noyami k can't whore for attention here, or is he banned from D&D like Tezzor?

For that matter... I wonder what Tezzor is doing without us.

Tezzor is banned from D&D? hahaha

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Venomous posted:

gamers are dumb

truth

e: objective confirmation from Yahoo Answers

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 26, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I got halfway through writing a serious post about The Gamergate, realized with horror what I was doing, and quickly erased it to replace it with this text. This thread is dangerous, and should be destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Control Volume posted:

I got halfway through writing a serious post, realized with horror what I was doing, and quickly erased it to replace it with this text. This thread is dangerous, and should be destroyed.

I agree

• Locked thread