Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
New roadkill is up. Epic as usual, but 29:30 in has the best lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Gay chat --

I am most often of the view that Republicans are evil and Democrats are incompetent. Today's rulings has certainly emphasized some of that. However, I recognize that you can't apply one rule to an entire group of people. Local Republican representative just came up with this:

U.S. Rep. Pat Tiberi, R-Genoa Township posted:

“As a Roman Catholic, I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. Today, the Supreme Court ruled that the legal institution of marriage is open to all individuals, regardless of sexual preference. They did not rule that a religious view of marriage is unconstitutional, but that the 14th Amendment means the government cannot take a religious view of marriage. Thus, the decision doesn’t force religious institutions to perform marriages against their beliefs. While my personal religious views differ from the court decision, all sides must be respectful of each other’s views as we move forward.”

I wish both sides would quit the "either black or white" binary robot think bullshit and see that the truth is largely found in the middle.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

As Roman Catholic, I don't give a gently caress who can marry who. If you meet someone and fall so deeply in love with them that you want to be able to have a ceremony to recognise that love officially then be my loving guest. Or let me be yours...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Gay chat --

I am most often of the view that Republicans are evil and Democrats are incompetent. Today's rulings has certainly emphasized some of that. However, I recognize that you can't apply one rule to an entire group of people. Local Republican representative just came up with this:

I wish both sides would quit the "either black or white" binary robot think bullshit and see that the truth is largely found in the middle.

They were pretty clear in their ruling that they all agreed, regardless of the legality of Gays getting married, Churches retain the right to discriminate within their walls.

So anyone whining about that needs to shut the gently caress up.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CommieGIR posted:

They were pretty clear in their ruling that they all agreed, regardless of the legality of Gays getting married, Churches retain the right to discriminate within their walls.

b-b-but marriage is religious, there's no civil basis for it. It's ONLY the Catholic church that can amrry peopel

EDIT: This is (lovely) satire. Satire of the 3 people I've had to unfriend on Facebook today.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sigma X posted:

b-b-but marriage is religious, there's no civil basis for it. It's ONLY the Catholic church that can amrry peopel

EDIT: This is (lovely) satire. Satire of the 3 people I've had to unfriend on Facebook today.

Yes, the one true religion.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

The only thing marriage does in terms of "legality" is allows them to share common benefits, tax breaks and other associated things. Its simply a piece of paper saying "I am with this person".

I know this is overly simplified, but its the basics.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The only thing marriage does in terms of "legality" is allows them to share common benefits, tax breaks and other associated things. Its simply a piece of paper saying "I am with this person".

It's more than just that. When married, the two people become one entity in the eyes of the law. It's a powerful thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Except for, y'know, benefits, taxes, property.

Since that is what marriage law is mostly about anyways, and what its almost always been about.

meatpimp posted:

It's more than just that. When married, the two people become one entity in the eyes of the law. It's a powerful thing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I mean, overly simplified, but you get the point.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thank god we will all be married when the cold embrace of nuclear winter takes away all the pain

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
One step closer to my dream of gay married couples being able to defend their marijuana plants with guns, today is a good day.

As for the loser flag, I think it should not be flown on government property, period. However, it shouldn't be erased from history (look how well that worked for Germany.) If companies want to sell it, or not sell it, that's their prerogative. Private citizens should be allowed to if they want... mostly so I can tell from a distance that they're worthless fuckheads and not bother dealing with them at all.

If I ran a printing company I'd gladly print confederate/nazi flags, but I'd charge 4 times as much and donate the proceeds 50/50 to the SPLC and the ADL. Suck on that one, bigots.

e:

Slow is Fast posted:

My snapchat has been fucky lately. Please review energydrinks on snapchat more often.

Works fine for me, your lovely old garbage phone is probably at fault here, get something modern already :v::shrek::v:

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 26, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I found a thing. And it fits the thread title
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YtGaba6rR4

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Holy poo poo you guys. The Martian. Holy poo poo.

As for the gay marriage thing: way to go! Now everyone is free to know how miserable it is! :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

AKA "Dr. Mann's Punishment for loving Up the Endurance"

Seriously, I have an unhealthy obsession with that ship.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

Understanding is a three-edged sword.

I find this poo poo all the time. Even though I know it's a bad idea, I still find myself trying to point out that [extreme viewpoint X] is either ignoring or misinterpreting certain information, and of course it doesn't work. The left needn't look so drat smug about things, either, at least most people recognise that the crazy end of the right is crazy.

BloodBag posted:

I found a thing. And it fits the thread title
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YtGaba6rR4
:perfect:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Got called a "silly human being liberal" at work today for not being up in arms over the scotus ruling.

God bless the military :v:

Happy loving days.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

The book? Decent story but the writing was abysmal.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

As for the loser flag, I think it should not be flown on government property, period. However, it shouldn't be erased from history (look how well that worked for Germany.) If companies want to sell it, or not sell it, that's their prerogative. Private citizens should be allowed to if they want... mostly so I can tell from a distance that they're worthless fuckheads and not bother dealing with them at all.

This is pretty much literally what is happening across the south - state governments are removing the flag from public property and major retailers are voluntarily pulling the flags (and other confederate themed merchandise) from their shelves. Otherwise you're still free to show you're a shitlord, and anyone who says this is a government attack on free speech is just making a strawman argument because they don't have any other defensible position.

Re: assholes on Facebook, not at all surprised that my extremely conservative cousin who ranted for days about how we've crossed the precipice of a slippery slope by banning the confederate flag from public places is now saying that only actual homosexuals can comment positively on the ruling and everyone else is just white noise. I am surprised, however, at the number of people I know who defended the duck dynasty guy and apparently learned their lesson and are sitting this one out. Or maybe they're just in shock after all the defeats social conservatives have suffered in the past two weeks...

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Goddamn, somebody please marry me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CommieGIR posted:

AKA "Dr. Mann's Punishment for loving Up the Endurance"

Seriously, I have an unhealthy obsession with that ship.

I just watched interstellar, I have a new favourite sci fi film by a huge margin.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Can't polish a turd? BULLSHIT! In honor of of the recent ruling, i gussied up my cruising automobile:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Can't polish a turd? BULLSHIT! In honor of of the recent ruling, i gussied up my cruising automobile:

You're gonna make all the other lesbians swoon.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

You're gonna make all the other lesbians swoon.

Even put the cross bars back on. :smug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

I just watched interstellar, I have a new favourite sci fi film by a huge margin.

It was incredibly well done.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CommieGIR posted:

It was incredibly well done.

Oh man do I love that movie. Instant classic for sure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I file it in my "beautifully shot but I think the characters should be" pile.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I file it in my "beautifully shot but I think the characters should be" pile.

Yeaaah, agreed. Cooper was overacted.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MustardFacial posted:

Agreed, loved the book and so far the trailers look promising.

Cakefool posted:

Watched this the week after I read The Martian. I said holy poo poo several times after the movie finished, ordered it on blue ray after I watched it again the following day.

Ozmiander posted:

Lesbian wagon looking good.

I'm happy the gay marriage thing finally passed, I'm honestly amazed it took this long. I was stuck without internet or phone all morning so it was great to sit down for lunch and see that pop up. Made my day. Too bad our Pride Fest was last weekend, imagine it would have been even better if it was right after this passed. Looking forward to my Uncle's wedding sometime this fall or next spring.

No surprise sister in law is against gay marriage and a fan of the flag :fuckoff: I mentioned something and she started arguing about it...glad my sound system gets loud enough to drown out the stupid.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 27, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Pham Nuwen posted:

The book? Decent story but the writing was abysmal.

It was written by a computer scientist and this his first book, cut the guy some slack. We're not all writing Waldon over here.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So, in interesting car stuff, today on lunch break I learned my dad has had an cool automotive history. Apparently when he was younger he had a Fiat X19, and growing up in highschool he had an 850 Spider. Never figured my dad was a Fiat guy but apparently he loved both of those cars, despite the X19 being way too small for him. Said he debated on getting a Fiero when they came out since it was similar to his old X19 in terms of being a mid engine, rear wheel drive 2 door. I think he's kinda glad he didn't :v:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

T1g4h posted:

So, in interesting car stuff, today on lunch break I learned my dad has had an cool automotive history. Apparently when he was younger he had a Fiat X19, and growing up in highschool he had an 850 Spider. Never figured my dad was a Fiat guy but apparently he loved both of those cars, despite the X19 being way too small for him. Said he debated on getting a Fiero when they came out since it was similar to his old X19 in terms of being a mid engine, rear wheel drive 2 door. I think he's kinda glad he didn't :v:

Because the Fiero was too reliable and made too much more power?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ozmiander posted:

Because the Fiero was too reliable and made too much more power?

We are thinking of the same Fiero here, right? Because I think you're giving those cars wayyy too much credit :v:

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

T1g4h posted:

We are thinking of the same Fiero here, right? Because I think you're giving those cars wayyy too much credit :v:

Compared to an X19? I don't think he's giving the Fiero enough credit

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
IIRC he has owned a Fiero and a Yugo so he probably can make a reasonably accurate comparison here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I posted this on Facebook and got threatened with an rear end kicking within 10 minutes.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

I posted this on Facebook and got threatened with an rear end kicking within 10 minutes.

Holy poo poo, I'm doing this

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I told a jeep group full of hicks that I supported their right to fly the loser flag mostly so I could tell who was a loving retard from miles away and you should have seen the anger that was spewed.

Most told me to go gently caress myself, and that I was wrong and an idiot, and that the confederate flag was JUST THEIR OPINION MAN and gently caress YOU FOR TELLING ME NOT TO and gently caress YOU SHUT UP YOU DON'T NEED TO VOICE YOUR OPINION.

I don't understand why they're allowed to have an opinion and I'm not. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MustardFacial posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm doing this

The guy who made the threat (via PM because he's a bitch) isn't anyone I know and we have no common friends so I am puzzled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm visiting Japan this summer (5 weeks total) and just bought A Thing:

660ccs of raw 4WD power :japan:

It's a '99 Mitsubishi Pajero Mini that I picked up from another foreigner for ¥100,000, or ~US$820 thanks to a weak yen. A friend and neighbour of my girlfriend's was kind enough to let me title it in his name (GF doesn't have a license, would have made employer/apartment manager suspicious), in exchange he's got the option to buy it from me at a mate's rate in a month after I leave, if he wants to keep driving*. Alternatively he sells it and wires me the money plus whatever he wants for his time later. I'm pretty happy with the price, car is a bit old but only sitting on 105k, just had a major service in April for shaken so tyres and belts were replaced, along with a few other misc things. I'm pretty confident I'll get most if not all of what I bought it for back, might even get lucky and turn a small profit selling it to someone at a nearby US military base. My GF has had some unexpected stuff come up on the weekends so not getting as much time to travel with her as I'd hoped, but I should still have fun tooling around in it during the day while she's at work. I used to tear it up on logging roads with my XR250 back in the day, might try out the 4WD.

This is my first manual, although I've been riding motorcycles for years and was acquainted with the basics prior to purchasing it. Still not terribly smooth going from 1st to second (and sometimes third), but generally I'm doing OK and rather enjoying it. Currently waiting on a supplementary insurance policy for it before I start driving, which will probably be Monday... it's killing me looking out the window and seeing it sitting there. :argh:

*He's nearing the end of his 1 year allowed on an International Permit, and as an American has to take a pretty demanding practical test to convert to a Japanese license. I passed it on my first go when I lived here (mostly luck and good schmoozing skills at the testing centre), but it takes most people several attempts, I could see him not wanting to bother if he has trouble getting used to a manual.

• Locked thread