Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Battery terminals, ignition switch/relay could be faulty, starter could be on it's way out, but start with a new battery. Often wiring or relays get hot and stop passing current, then cool down and everything is hunky dory again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bad batteries tend to act weird, not just decline linearly. But that does seem a bit too weird. Following up on the above, measure the voltage across the terminals when cranking. If it's the same good and bad, then something else is wrong.

Occam's multimeter still indicates bad battery. They too change with temperature, it might be cranking worse when it's hot.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Talking about batteries, I use one of those batteries you fill from the included bottles and then pound a seal into. My battery almost lies flat so in retrospect it wasn't recommended to use one of those (instead of a completely sealed one) but it did fine for months.

Now just today I took my seat off and noticed tiny yellow particles everywhere, looked exactly like pollen. However upon closer inspection this seemed to have originated from the battery; on the battery itself there was some chalky white residue below the seal, which had corroded the battery box, and some fresher-looking foamy stuff also, however strangely that was at the top lip of the seal (you'd suspect any fluid to leak downward). I can't find anything about this happening to other people, any ideas?

Of course I'm buying a completely sealed battery now.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Battery fluid bubbles when it's charging. It'll seep out of the seals and the drain on the side, and leave residue when it evaporates. Laying it on the side probably exposed the plates inside, which means they sulfated, and probably put even more solids in the fluid as it leaked out.

So as far as I can tell, my heat problem isn't the battery. I swapped for another bike's, which has never had a problem, and the same thing happened. Pulled and disassembled the starter motor, it's pretty filthy, and there's dust from the brushes or magnets and some greasy residue all over the rotor. Cleaned it up, polished the copper part the brushes ride on, and reassembled. I'll test ride tomorrow. Really hoping this is it, but next step is an actual new battery, then a starter relay.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 25, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

Talking about batteries, I use one of those batteries you fill from the included bottles and then pound a seal into. My battery almost lies flat so in retrospect it wasn't recommended to use one of those (instead of a completely sealed one) but it did fine for months.

Now just today I took my seat off and noticed tiny yellow particles everywhere, looked exactly like pollen. However upon closer inspection this seemed to have originated from the battery; on the battery itself there was some chalky white residue below the seal, which had corroded the battery box, and some fresher-looking foamy stuff also, however strangely that was at the top lip of the seal (you'd suspect any fluid to leak downward). I can't find anything about this happening to other people, any ideas?

Of course I'm buying a completely sealed battery now.

Those self-filled batteries can be sealed units too (the Yuasa I'm using is one, for example), and sealed units may still not be suitable for non-upright mounting. Normally though if it's a motorcycle battery that has to be mounted upright it'll say so in pretty massive letters on the battery itself - it's possible that your battery was fine for mounting where you put it but you didn't actually seal it properly, or that it just had a manufacturing flaw.

Even non-sealed batteries shouldn't fail like that though (instead you should have just got electrolyte pissing out the vent tube as soon as you installed it) so I'd double-check that your regulator is working properly if I were you. Also make sure you clean out the battery box and surrounding area with plenty of clean water.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those self-filled batteries can be sealed units too (the Yuasa I'm using is one, for example), and sealed units may still not be suitable for non-upright mounting. Normally though if it's a motorcycle battery that has to be mounted upright it'll say so in pretty massive letters on the battery itself - it's possible that your battery was fine for mounting where you put it but you didn't actually seal it properly, or that it just had a manufacturing flaw.

Even non-sealed batteries shouldn't fail like that though (instead you should have just got electrolyte pissing out the vent tube as soon as you installed it) so I'd double-check that your regulator is working properly if I were you. Also make sure you clean out the battery box and surrounding area with plenty of clean water.

Thanks. I checked the regulator and it's fine, voltage stays within the 14v range, so I feel confident enough about trying a new battery.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Did you overcharge and gas the battery?

The 3-phase charging system on the earlier models is better than the single-phase they went to in 08 so I wouldn't suspect the VR either. If you're losing headlights, that's a sign the VR is going.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So my neighbor's 69 Guzzi Ambassador has a noticeable repeating clunk coming from the rear drive, only when rotating forward. Is the bearing that supports the drive shaft going into the hub just bad?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Dunno, haven't seen that symptom before, could be the u-joint? Not good either way, that end of the bike shouldn't make any noises.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What are the thoughts on ABS on bikes? Good thing? Bad thing? I can't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall ABS systems not being so great in wet weather.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

On a street bike, unquestionably a good thing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
All street bikes should come with ABS. But it should be switchable in some cases.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Good thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3MfLcJLaCs

Not really a fair comparison (though both tests are full brake application so fair in that sense), I'd rather see real braking instead of just flat out locking the brakes up for the non-abs test, but still shows how quickly it goes down, and how impressive the ABS is. People who rail against ABS are the same people who hate any modern technology because "Back in my day :jerkbag:".

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Can anyone recommend a shop in the Austin/Round Rock area to work on my SV1000?

I'm getting a weird surging/hesitation when I sit at constant throttle. It seems to be strongest in the 3-5k rpm range. Alternatively, can anyone offer any suggestions? It sounds like the engine misses a bit, then extra power comes on. Under engine braking, it's smooth, if I open up the throttle it seems to accelerate smoothly. It got a new chain and sprockets a few months back. I recently cleaned and lubed the chain, and it seems to be good. I think it's a fueling or valving issue or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tanbo posted:

Good thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3MfLcJLaCs

Not really a fair comparison (though both tests are full brake application so fair in that sense), I'd rather see real braking instead of just flat out locking the brakes up for the non-abs test, but still shows how quickly it goes down, and how impressive the ABS is. People who rail against ABS are the same people who hate any modern technology because "Back in my day :jerkbag:".

I've always assumed people who rail against ABS (and I was one of them for a while) are the same as those who railed against EFI in the nineties - because the first generation wasn't perfect, it can never ever be perfect. Of course with ABS you've got the added spice of "I'm far better than any box of tricks, I don't need no computers telling me when to brake", which was the main reason I opted not to get the ABS on the Shiver, a decision I've been fortunate enough not to have seriously regretted yet, although I have locked the front in the dry more than once and immediately thought "poo poo if it had been wet..."

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Day Man posted:

Can anyone recommend a shop in the Austin/Round Rock area to work on my SV1000?

I'm getting a weird surging/hesitation when I sit at constant throttle. It seems to be strongest in the 3-5k rpm range. Alternatively, can anyone offer any suggestions? It sounds like the engine misses a bit, then extra power comes on. Under engine braking, it's smooth, if I open up the throttle it seems to accelerate smoothly. It got a new chain and sprockets a few months back. I recently cleaned and lubed the chain, and it seems to be good. I think it's a fueling or valving issue or something.

Sounds like lean surge. Does it have a pipe and K&N but no power commander?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

clutchpuck posted:

All street bikes should come with ABS. But it should be switchable in some cases.

Agreed. I think the DOT/NHTSA should mandate it on all new bikes. I also agree it should be switchable (though it would be simple to add if the owner desires).

I have yet to have ABS save my rear end, though I've had it chatter a bit on the rear a few times, nothing that I found to be intrusive.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

clutchpuck posted:

Sounds like lean surge. Does it have a pipe and K&N but no power commander?

It has pipes and a power commander. I was suspicious of the shop that put the tune on, and flashed the standard tune for my bike/pipe combo last night. I also redid the tps calibration. Problem is still there. I was riding with the shops tune for a few months, the problem didn't start till a couple weeks ago and has progressively gotten worse.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Well, looks like I'm going to be upping the price range then, since I'm looking at bikes that have ABS.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

SquadronROE posted:

Well, looks like I'm going to be upping the price range then, since I'm looking at bikes that have ABS.

Not by a ton. It's a $500 option on my 300. Can't be that much of a difference...

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

revmoo posted:

Not by a ton. It's a $500 option on my 300. Can't be that much of a difference...

Right, that's what I'm looking at. It's not a big deal.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Anyone know a good Canadian site for old parts?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

All street bikes should come with ABS.
On REAL bikes (BMWs) they do all come with ABS.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Spelling Mitsake posted:

vintagecb750.com
http://www.cb750supply.com/

technically they're new parts for old bikes. er... AN old bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

On REAL bikes (BMWs) they do all come with ABS.

I was toying with the idea of importing an F800GS from Italy, many of those are without ABS. Don't know why, but apparently it's an option in that market.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Did you overcharge and gas the battery?

The 3-phase charging system on the earlier models is better than the single-phase they went to in 08 so I wouldn't suspect the VR either. If you're losing headlights, that's a sign the VR is going.

I'm not sure what happened, might just have been the lip of the battery box rubbing against the battery's seal. I checked the voltage regulator, ~14.5v. Stator gives 16v per 1000rpm, no shorts to ground. I wish I was 100% sure what happened because I don't want the new, much more expensive American Made battery to blow up as well.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't expect an older non-sealed battery to stand up to much signature vibration. The Bar&Shield batteries have bigger/sturdier posts and don't cost any more than a generic sealed unit from Batteries+ or whatever. I brought the original from my Uly into a non-Buell HD dealer and they had a replacement in stock ready to go. If you go that way, make drat sure the polarity is correct - sporties use the same size/cca battery but the posts are reversed.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
ABS has saved my rear end, or at least come close to it. I was hooning out of an alley once and didn't see a car making a fast right hand turn in time - there was a bit of mud on my rear tire, too. I gripped the front brake as hard as I could with the two fingers that were up there, and the ABS shug-shug-shugged its way into my heart.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Can you wrench on ABS brakes yourself? That'd be my only reason not to own a bike with them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah it's no big deal for most modern systems.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Except for Buells, which use the fork legs as brake fluid reservoirs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Can you wrench on ABS brakes yourself? That'd be my only reason not to own a bike with them.

People have been wrenching on their ABS equipped cars themselves for about twenty years :ssh:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I've heard of a handful of cars that require a diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS pump when changing/bleeding fluids, but that seems to be pretty rare. I've also heard you can bypass that procedure by braking hard on grass, but I'm not sure how well that would work out in reality.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

revmoo posted:

Agreed. I think the DOT/NHTSA should mandate it on all new bikes. I also agree it should be switchable (though it would be simple to add if the owner desires).

I have yet to have ABS save my rear end, though I've had it chatter a bit on the rear a few times, nothing that I found to be intrusive.

drat bro thats p hardcore, maybe you should keep it on the track

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radbot posted:

ABS has saved my rear end, or at least come close to it. I was hooning out of an alley once and didn't see a car making a fast right hand turn in time - there was a bit of mud on my rear tire, too. I gripped the front brake as hard as I could with the two fingers that were up there, and the ABS shug-shug-shugged its way into my heart.

You're going to eat poo poo when you ride a bike without ABS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revmoo posted:

Yeah I've heard of a handful of cars that require a diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS pump when changing/bleeding fluids, but that seems to be pretty rare. I've also heard you can bypass that procedure by braking hard on grass, but I'm not sure how well that would work out in reality.

I wouldn't recommend it, but the only cars I've struck that couldn't be bled manually have been the brake-by-wire toyotas and similar. It shouldn't be an issue on bikes I wouldn't think, as bikes haven't got any kind of brake servo system at all. Not to mention, as with all technogadgetry, twenty years after it's come out some clever people on the internet would've figured out exactly how it works and how to work on it and what seemed baffling and cutting-edge when it was new becomes quaint and outdated.

BlackMK4 posted:

You're going to eat poo poo when you ride a bike without ABS.

Yup. But that might never happen unless he goes out of his way to buy one without. Like kick-starting, it's a skill that lots of people simply won't need anymore.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I buy lots of stuff from Sirius Inc. http://siriusconinc.com. Would rather depend on what bike you have.

And frankly Bike Bandit for other stuff they don't have. It's usually small stuff so the shipping/duty ain't bad.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone played with that new BMW ABS system that also stops the bike standing up if you brake hard mid-corner? That seems like the next stage of ABS systems (well that and the "lift mitigation" that Aprilia have put into APRC that makes backing the bike in GP-style a piece of piss)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Countdown to bikes that use fly by wire to countersteer for you so that cagers can ride bikes with no training :shepicide:

Slavvy posted:

Yup. But that might never happen unless he goes out of his way to buy one without. Like kick-starting, it's a skill that lots of people simply won't need anymore.

I've never done a kickstart, but all I ever hear is either nothing at all (because the people that know how to use them have no trouble) or "oh yeah btw the snap back can totally break your leg on some bikes, don't ask why or how or how to avoid this happening to you"

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Chris Knight posted:

I buy lots of stuff from Sirius Inc. http://siriusconinc.com. Would rather depend on what bike you have.

And frankly Bike Bandit for other stuff they don't have. It's usually small stuff so the shipping/duty ain't bad.

Yeah, it's a headlight bracket for an '85 Honda Rebel.

I can backorder it for $11 at a local shop and get it some time in late August. Or spend like $50 US on Bike Bandit...

edit: There's another old bike shop in town I'll check on Monday.

Spelling Mitsake fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 27, 2015