Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

It's a hot topic in a subject that people are interested in and passionate about.

It's two sides in a pitched battle desperately searching for a channel to call each other stupid.

Also Gamergate has kind of been the match to a few sticks worth of culture war dynamite. This poo poo ain't settlin' for a while. poo poo, I ain't even here to bitch about video games. I just want to watch guys like Effectronica get yelled at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

someone might quote you and tell you you're wrong and then what do you do? huh??

If history is any precedent you go to QCS and whine about it. Eventually ralp gets pissy and moves the mean thread out of gbs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Dreylad posted:

university life is a hard life my friend

free speech is a menace
This is funny, because this same group of people that you're bending over backwards to cheer-lead for finds this very concept worthy of ridicule and derision. Of course, I guess they can be easily summarized as a few bad apples or not true scotsmen or just tumblr kids and so on and so forth.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Lmfao 40 pages in under 12 hours what the gently caress is wrong with you people

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Al Cowens posted:

This is funny, because this same group of people that you're bending over backwards to cheer-lead for finds this very concept worthy of ridicule and derision. Of course, I guess they can be easily summarized as a few bad apples or not true scotsmen or just tumblr kids and so on and so forth.

the gently caress is freeze peach and why should i care

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

XMNN posted:

Oh that dude. I think he split up with the guy who did all his youtube videos in a dressing gown, but they might be back together now for the money.

I'm picturing a Lucius the Eternal-type situation here.

Sorry but i am chaos undivided type. i lean toward grandpa nurgle though. such a happy dude.

wow, abbot is just digging his state goverment a grave isnt he.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

paranoid randroid posted:

the gently caress is freeze peach and why should i care

I don't know if you are being facetious or not, but it is a mispronunciation spelled out of free speech in order to mock it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why can't we all just get along

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dreylad posted:

the original gamergate thread in gbs was about that and this is what happened to it: exiled to a humourless subforum.

Actually the what happened is what always happens: gbs managed to become somehow worse than whatever they were trying to make fun of

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al Cowens posted:

first page results: wiki, reddit, tumblr, a wiki, some dumb blog, twitter, yeah i don't see what this has to do with real life universities and academic freedom

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Powercrazy posted:

If history is any precedent you go to QCS and whine about it. Eventually ralp gets pissy and moves the mean thread out of gbs.

I didn't read the hellthread but I don't think the first word to describe it would be "mean"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Actually the what happened is what always happens: gbs managed to become somehow worse than whatever they were trying to make fun of

yeah you're right

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dapper Dan posted:

I don't know if you are being facetious or not, but it is a mispronunciation spelled out of free speech in order to mock it.

oh is this some people crying about how they get made fun of for shouting CHILLING EFFECT whenever someone disagrees with them

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

The Correct Thought Police. I have been deputized

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Dreylad posted:

first page results: wiki, reddit, tumblr, a wiki, some dumb blog, twitter, yeah i don't see what this has to do with real life universities and academic freedom
They are the same people.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Wulfolme posted:

It's two sides in a pitched battle desperately searching for a channel to call each other stupid.

Also Gamergate has kind of been the match to a few sticks worth of culture war dynamite. This poo poo ain't settlin' for a while. poo poo, I ain't even here to bitch about video games. I just want to watch guys like Effectronica get yelled at.

While I do think that both sides are just yelling in the wind about a lot of stuff. I do think there is actual stuff happening with regards to the industry. More female gamers are definitely making themselves more known and I think the industry is kind of reconfiguring itself at this point in time with a lot of games that are unconventional being made. Then on the other side, you have a million survival crafting games.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al Cowens posted:

The only "freeze" I see organizations like CAUT (who champion academic freedom) railing against are spending freezes and cuts which do have a chilling effect on the ability of scholars to publish and disseminate their work.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my strong and vocal opposition to women pointing out sexist attitude in games makes me an intellectual inheritor of the civil rights era

i will use my powerful words and talent to shut down SJW opinions on twitter one. by. one.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Cowens posted:

from behind a computer screen tumblr and the local sociology department do appear identical, yeah

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zeitgueist posted:

The Correct Thought Police. I have been deputized

I'm sure you will treat your position with care and consistency.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

you can't trust that guy, he's a white liberal who has sex with black people

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

So am I :ssh:

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Dreylad posted:

The only "freeze" I see organizations like CAUT (who champion academic freedom) railing against are spending freezes and cuts which do have a chilling effect on the ability of scholars to publish and disseminate their work.
Googled. No idea what the hell that is. I'm not Canadian. I didn't go to UoT or Berkeley (not saying where), just linked those vids as examples. So far at this stage all we have is anecdotes and from what I can tell you're just basically stating the experience I have had or claiming to have either didn't happen or aren't worth worrying about and I'm a dumb poo poo for feeling uncomfortable or threatened when mobs of SWPL feminists force a physical confrontation with me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

as am I

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Powercrazy posted:

I will be as unbiased and just as the regular police :colbert:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Cowens posted:

Googled. No idea what the hell that is. I'm not Canadian. I didn't go to UoT or Berkeley (not saying where), just linked those vids as examples. So far at this stage all we have is anecdotes and from what I can tell you're just basically stating the experience I have had or claiming to have either didn't happen or aren't worth worrying about and I'm a dumb poo poo for feeling uncomfortable or threatened when mobs of SWPL feminists force a physical confrontation with me.

if your anecdotal experience is that you had social anxiety when you went to college then uh, um, i uh, er, i guess we can talk about tha tif you want

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
fart

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 27, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gamergate caused a bunch of women to receive serious death threats in real life, so how is this even a debate anymore? One side is so toxic that they basically shouldn't have more than some token supporters (aka people who think that sending death threats to women for expression an opinion is okay)

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Dreylad posted:

students can want whatever they want but if american academic freedom rules aren't robust enough to protect professors from this poo poo then lol

I mean there's not much you can do when the board shits on you because you tweet about palestine but academic freedom groups in canada loving defend sexual harassment as academic freedom

p.much

Slanderer posted:

I like how he admits that his only complain was from a conservative student, but it's the liberal ones that are going to complain and get him fired.

and also:

I was a liberal adjunct professor. My liberal students didn’t scare me at all.

And I have to say I like both articles.

He's right in the sense that apparently his and other universities are becoming too sensitive to dissenting opinions, and she's right in the sense that the most important thing is to debate the issue and not dismiss anything, including "identity politics" out of hand.

More or less, while the authors disagree about how problems are manifesting, the general consensus of both is that different opinions and the ability to debate them without fearing reprisals is pretty important to a persons education.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

p.much

And I have to say I like both articles.

He's right in the sense that apparently his and other universities are becoming too sensitive to dissenting opinions, and she's right in the sense that the most important thing is to debate the issue and not dismiss anything, including "identity politics" out of hand.

More or less, while the authors disagree about how problems are manifesting, the general consensus of both is that different opinions and the ability to debate them without fearing reprisals is pretty important to a persons education.

serious question, and i am being sincere and do not intend to make fun of you about this no matter what your answer is but

did you attend college

did you graduate from college

do you have first hand experience with what college is like

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

Gamergate caused a bunch of women to receive serious death threats in real life, so how is this even a debate anymore? One side is so toxic that they basically shouldn't have more than some token supporters (aka people who think that sending death threats to women for expression an opinion is okay)

Agreed and Liberals support genital mutilation of children. Why do they have any support at all? What a crazy world.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

QuarkJets posted:

This cuts both ways. Also third party internet trolls.

Dreylad posted:

If someone threatened you go to the campus police jesus don't post about it here to win an internet debate. contact the ombudsperson, contact your student reps (lol that probably wont help)
What makes you think I haven't?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al Cowens posted:

What makes you think I haven't?

ok

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 27, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Al Cowens posted:

This cuts both ways. Also third party internet trolls.

I don't think that male gamers on the internet are worried about receiving rape threats from female journalists and having all of their private details spilled but maybe I can be proven wrong

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

serious question, and i am being sincere and do not intend to make fun of you about this no matter what your answer is but

did you attend college

did you graduate from college

do you have first hand experience with what college is like

i only ask because many if not all of the complaints about restricting free speech on campus are, politely, exaggerated, and i've always found them a bit hard to believe for one reason or another

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

Out of curiosity, do you think Brad Wardell's kids & wife deserved death and rape threats from his detractors who "just know" he's guilty (additional info here if you don't know who that is)? What about the death threats sent to a Breitbart hack journalist? Or that charity group that claimed Zoe doxx'd the owner?

The toxic poo poo happens in both sides and shouldn't be tolerated by anyone with half a brain. It's not something that's only occurring in one side or the other, there are hosed people out there using any rationale to harass others they don't like.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 26, 2015

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Yes all the women who supported Gamergate and got death threats, doxxed and more really proves that being against Gamergate is indefensible.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Dreylad posted:

because usually people who are threatened who go through these channels are told not to publicly blather on about them while they're being investigated.
Now I doubt whether you have actually gone through this. (E: Or you have and our mileage is... varying)

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that male gamers on the internet are worried about receiving rape threats from female journalists but maybe I can be proven wrong
What they are (justifiably) worried about is getting fired or having armed police show up at their door due to being swatted for wrongthink. Anita isn't even particularly interesting or threatening but there is something incredibly disturbing how the mildest, most tepid criticism that is nothing less than glowing cajoles an army of rainbow-haired sycophants

Al Cowens fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 27, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al Cowens posted:

Now I doubt whether you have actually gone through this.

I don't have to go through "this" to be familiar with ombudsperson and university senate procedures unless your college does things wildly differently. Seriously, I'll edit out me quoting you, you should edit your posts. You didn't identify the institution you went to which is smart, at least.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Cowens posted:

What they are (justifiably) worried about is getting fired or having armed police show up at their door due to being swatted for wrongthink.

i think you have it exactly backwards

usually it isn't the gamers who are angry about being criticized who are punished for unpopular thought. usually it's the people who are doing the criticizing, as they do not conform to an idealized version of group think that many gamers identify as true gamer culture

nobody's swatting snoop_sephiroth420, they're swatting unpopular women like anita sarkeesian or zoe quinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

There is no debate. GG as an organized force is pretty much gone but the antis are so invested in the fight that the tweets keep flying.

Its a similar situation to what does MADD do once the drunk driving problem is solved? People satisfied with the status quo quit while the zealous continue the fight until it becomes radicalized.

• Locked thread