Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mike-o posted:

Oh gently caress me, just found out through my niece that my 18 year old nephew is thinking about joining the army. I already gave him a talk a couple years ago, guess its time for another one.

Let natural selection take its course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mike-o posted:

Oh gently caress me, just found out through my niece that my 18 year old nephew is thinking about joining the army. I already gave him a talk a couple years ago, guess its time for another one.

Sorry for your loss

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Bust his kneecap

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

No one ever believes us.

They join anyway. And hate it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Let natural selection take its course.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Carteret posted:

No one ever believes us.

They join anyway. And hate it.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
You know that recurring theme every couple years where you look back at the kind of person you were and the poo poo you did and go, "Holy gently caress, that was retarded. What the hell was wrong with me?"

Watching other people go full retard and enlist is like a guilt-free schadenfreude buffet version of that, instead of reflecting on your own gently caress-ups you just get to watch the train wreck happen right in front of you from start to finish.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
If it was anyone but my nephew, I'd just laugh every time they told me their next step in becoming enlisted.txt. I think I'll just go kick him in the head a few times and get that stupid loving idea out of his head.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Maybe you should just laugh at him. That might get it through.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mike-o posted:

If it was anyone but my nephew, I'd just laugh every time they told me their next step in becoming enlisted.txt. I think I'll just go kick him in the head a few times and get that stupid loving idea out of his head.

YEAH BECAUSE WHAT THE gently caress DOES SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN IN THE MILITARY KNOW ABOUT BEING IN THE MILITARY

telling people to not join the military because of what you went through, and then them joining anyway, is like you getting crabs from a girl and telling your buddy that she has crabs, and he fucks her anyway and then is surprised he got crabs.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
my cousin's husband is shipping for army bootcamp next month into whatever that try-out-for-ranger-then-washout-to-airborne contract is, it's gonna be awesome no matter what happens

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I would literally loving cripple my children if I could prevent them from becoming involved in the endless loving quagmire that is american foreign policy in the middle east

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
one eye is good enough for you, but not for uncle samuel

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

I would literally loving cripple my children if I could prevent them from becoming involved in the endless loving quagmire that is american foreign policy in the middle east

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Cole posted:

YEAH BECAUSE WHAT THE gently caress DOES SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN IN THE MILITARY KNOW ABOUT BEING IN THE MILITARY

telling people to not join the military because of what you went through, and then them joining anyway, is like you getting crabs from a girl and telling your buddy that she has crabs, and he fucks her anyway and then is surprised he got crabs.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

krispykremessuck posted:

my cousin's husband is shipping for army bootcamp next month into whatever that try-out-for-ranger-then-washout-to-airborne contract is, it's gonna be awesome no matter what happens

I think they moved the airborne part after RASP because people were using it as a ticket to the 82nd. So you can go to leg units if you fail now.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Why the gently caress would people do that?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

Why the gently caress would people do that?

Because afaik even if option 4 (airborne) contracts run out, you could still get option 40 (RASP) which came with airborne school.

Pre-RASP was a clusterfuck before they made that change, I wonder how different it is now.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Justin Tyme posted:

Because afaik even if option 4 (airborne) contracts run out, you could still get option 40 (RASP) which came with airborne school.

Pre-RASP was a clusterfuck before they made that change, I wonder how different it is now.

Its the Army, so still a clusterfuck.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ogrel72 posted:

Its the Army, so still a clusterfuck.

But is it a clusterfuck with HEART? That's what really matters.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
well when he inevitably fails out of the ranger selection or whatever the gently caress I'll let all of you guys know what happens to him

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

krispykremessuck posted:

well when he inevitably fails out of the ranger selection or whatever the gently caress I'll let all of you guys know what happens to him

they let girls go to ranger school these days so he better just sack the gently caress up

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yes, let's move formation up and hour and a half to 6am so we have plenty of time to do our motivating formation run. Because there's nothing that inspires morale like making everyone wake up at 4:30 in the morning on a Sunday so they can jog at a 12mph pace while singing stupid songs. And that extra time we saved will definitely be put to good use because we're an HHC.

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

psydude posted:

Yes, let's move formation up and hour and a half to 6am so we have plenty of time to do our motivating formation run. Because there's nothing that inspires morale like making everyone wake up at 4:30 in the morning on a Sunday so they can jog at a 12mph pace while singing stupid songs. And that extra time we saved will definitely be put to good use because we're an HHC.

Someone has to make the earth spin so the sun rises again....or some poo poo like that.

You know? My dad tried for years to tell me not to join the army, then I told him it was the NEW army, and found out it is no different from the vietnam era.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I read a book a while back that said that for the Vietnam draft, because there was so many dudes that just didn't want to be there, they want to this TOTAL CONTROL 100% ADHESION TO RULES YES ESPECIALLY THE STUPID ONES abortion that we've got now. The problem being that we didn't change back.

I don't believe it, I'm sure the army has been gay forever, and the people in charge are the turds that put up with it that long because they are terrified of the real world. As they should be.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

I read a book a while back that said that for the Vietnam draft, because there was so many dudes that just didn't want to be there, they want to this TOTAL CONTROL 100% ADHESION TO RULES YES ESPECIALLY THE STUPID ONES abortion that we've got now. The problem being that we didn't change back.

I don't believe it, I'm sure the army has been gay forever, and the people in charge are the turds that put up with it that long because they are terrified of the real world. As they should be.

My grandpa was in the Army around the time of the Korean War, and he said he hated that part of his life the most. It might have more to do with the fact he lived in a quonset hut at a tiny-rear end Greenland radar post than the Army being gay at the time, though. He died before I was in so I never got to ask him about the gayness of the Army then vs now.

Back then though even if everyone was cool to each other and did things in a common-sense way, you still had to live in those bigass bays with everyone else and only had foot/wall lockers to store your poo poo vs the single man studio apartments with walk-in closets we have now. What was a young enlisted man to do back then when he wanted to rail out some townie girl in the barracks?

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 28, 2015

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
make sure he brought enough for everyone

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

not caring here posted:

After WW2, the military was so gigantic and so top heavy, the whole general's club just turned into a nepotism circle jerk of guys who earned their way up hooking up their buddies who didn't. Begin Korea era, political appointment desk jockey Army commanders bungle their section spectacularly and the Marines clean house so the cluster can retreat. There was a book that came out a few years ago called The Generals that goes through the downward spiral of military command in the modern day. Absolutely worth the read.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
sergeant major of the army is soliciting ideas from soldiers on what tattoo he should get

this is not duffleblog, this is real.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cole posted:

sergeant major of the army is soliciting ideas from soldiers on what tattoo he should get

this is not duffleblog, this is real.

swastika on forehead

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

swastika made of dicks on forehead

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Cockstika

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
swasdicka

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Totencock

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
OSAMA BIN LADEN DID NOTHING WRONG

Nah, he seems like a decent enough SMA. He should get this:

from the top of the collarbone to the bottom of the naval. When he takes off his shirt it's like AMERICA

And unless he gets it all in one sitting it doesn't count

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
If you want soldier loyalty all you have to do is let them wear black socks with PTs. Who knew. My guys LOVE the new SMA.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nimmy posted:

If you want soldier loyalty all you have to do is let them wear black socks with PTs. Who knew. My guys LOVE the new SMA.

that's a thing? gently caress, let me back in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nimmy posted:

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2015/06/04/black-socks-pt-uniforms-dan-daily-sergeant-major-army/28498995/

He's pretty alright.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
If all of that poo poo is true then :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gonna show up next drill in multicams and troll the angry ops E8 who complains about uniforms.

• Locked thread