Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

I don't understand why they felt the need to change the names of stats to be such a mess, EQ and vanilla WoW and all those old games they revered just used strength intellegence dexterity or whatever, right?

You shut right up now, MOXIE is the best name for a stat like ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
itt people literally cannot mouseover stat names on their character sheet

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Libluini posted:

You shut right up now, MOXIE is the best name for a stat like ever

It was really cool in kingdom of loathing, in 2003.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm guessing Assault is straight up attack power and strikethrough is.. armor penetration?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

I'm guessing Assault is straight up attack power and strikethrough is.. armor penetration?

it's expertise

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Metrohunter posted:

itt people literally cannot mouseover stat names on their character sheet

That isn't enough. As an MMO developer, if you want to claim that you have developed a good UI then stat names should be something that most players can relate to and be memorable so that the player does not have to reference their character sheet often. That plus WS's system goes way beyond HG^&*^&^%S = Base Damage.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
What's wrong with naming a stat after Moxie? It's a pretty good soda...

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
What's great is in LUA all of the stats have the same name as WoW stats. It's only on the UI itself that it's called something stupid.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rhymenoserous posted:

What's great is in LUA all of the stats have the same name as WoW stats. It's only on the UI itself that it's called something stupid.

Oh poo poo we totally forgot we hardcored the wow clone. Easy put a bandaid on it! Lets call it hardcore and say cupcakes alot.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

OK, this is kind of lame. And dumb. It's not like the names are that different conceptually. I conclude from this the Wildstar-devs are either cursed with bad memory and can only process stats if they're named like in every other RPG ever made, or they're full of poo poo. Possibly both.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

did someone say anime is good?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

did someone say anime is good?

this is how I feel about anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5lz2CYNR4

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

when ripping off wow's stats and gw2's mechanics, they really should have left tabula rasa's miserable failure out of the recipe

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Thunderbro posted:

when ripping off wow's stats and gw2's mechanics, they really should have left tabula rasa's miserable failure out of the recipe

Agreed except Tabula Rasa was actually a cool game, the 'failure' was with the chinese dudes forging Lord British's signature while he was in space so they could shut the game down.

How lovely do you have to be to do something like that.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Kelp Plankton posted:

it didn't work for Super Monday Night Combat

I am sad to hear that SMNC turned out to be poo poo. The original was a lot of fun.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

CoffeeBooze posted:

I am sad to hear that SMNC turned out to be poo poo. The original was a lot of fun.

the devs had a solid core to the game and just screwed it over in every way possible. they accidentally launched the game during the beta among other huge stupid problems

it was pretty unfortunate. still hoping they try again with an MNC2 that reuses the new characters or something

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

CoffeeBooze posted:

I loved both Monday Night Combat and SMNC and I still miss them. Uber got screwed over by their exclusivity deal with Microsoft for MNC and SMNC was accidentally launched too early, causing Uber to panic and push forward despite SMNC not being anywhere near done. They eventually ran out of money to properly keep developing for the game.

Uber did a lot right with both games and I still miss the voice of Mickey Cantor, the real hero of the series.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

IIRC the way stats worked is you just wanted to max assault if you were DPS and support if you were a tank or healer, so all the dumb names were just a weird way of masking the exact same system every other MMO uses where you have one prime stat that you stack.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

WarLocke posted:

Agreed except Tabula Rasa was actually a cool game, the 'failure' was with the chinese dudes forging Lord British's signature while he was in space so they could shut the game down.

How lovely do you have to be to do something like that.

Korean dudes (NCsoft)

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC the way stats worked is you just wanted to max assault if you were DPS and support if you were a tank or healer, so all the dumb names were just a weird way of masking the exact same system every other MMO uses where you have one prime stat that you stack.

Well mostly. The uber spergs looked at the other parts of the formula too and there are a lot of people like this in WS. But in the end, you are right which begs the question why mask at all right?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
the most important stat is proper dressup and that comes in two varieties: space barbie, and space barbie dreamhouse

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Xavier434 posted:

Well mostly. The uber spergs looked at the other parts of the formula too and there are a lot of people like this in WS. But in the end, you are right which begs the question why mask at all right?

We're so hardcore that we have secondary stats, but we're gonna randomize the names so they are different on each character, that way figuring out what gear to get at the AH at 11 P.M. is extra confusing, cupcake.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

If it's called +Crit Severity, why not just put +Crit Severity on the gear? What is this, some WoW MMO for babbies? +Crit Severity will be called Moxie, STR, DEX, Anger Management, Arugula, and Timmy Horton's depending on what alt you are playing. We don't want anyone figuring out gear unless they've put the work into it!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Metrohunter posted:

the most important stat is proper dressup and that comes in two varieties: space barbie, and space barbie dreamhouse

Space Barbie with cancer of the Tasteful Colors gland

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah but if I remember right you also wanted some amount of strikethrough (expertise, hit rating, whatever) for the given level of content you were on. I think it was different from adventures to dungeons to raids.

The thing I remember most was spending all my gold on the fifty different things you needed to assemble for loving runes, then equipping all those runes to get a SWEET PROC of like literally 4 extra damage on your attacks. I guess they addressed this somewhat by making a previously completely worthless currency that you accumulated thousands of incidentally useful for buying some of the basic ones or something.

This doesn't even mention the asinine way runes combined, only fit in certain slots, only had certain stats available for certain types in certain places and the endless loving loops from the auction house to the mailbox to the rune crafting/inserting station. The poo poo was unbelievably stupid. You need nine of this type of rune across all your gear to activate level 1 effect! You need 16 of this rune to activate level 2! What happens if I change a piece of gear? Hope your new gear has the right types of rune slots in the correct numbers otherwise gently caress you.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I don't really mind the alternate names for stats, but having all the different stats do different things for each class is a surefire way to confuse the poo poo out of newer players.

You want to be able to look at a drop and go, "okay this will be good on my (class X)" or "okay this is an upgrade to my current gear" instead of "errr which stat did espers use for crit again".

Yes, you could make the argument that you want to reduce competition over drops by having each class use a different stat profile - but there are better, less confusing ways of accomplishing that.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Mormon Star Wars posted:

If it's called +Crit Severity, why not just put +Crit Severity on the gear? What is this, some WoW MMO for babbies? +Crit Severity will be called Moxie, STR, DEX, Anger Management, Arugula, and Timmy Horton's depending on what alt you are playing. We don't want anyone figuring out gear unless they've put the work into it!

Because the stats didn't do the same thing for every class. They made it so Moxie was +Crit Severity for class A and +Mana for class B.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

See in theory this is a good idea as by making stats do different things you can make gear viable equally for multiple classes, you give your healers healing and mana and your DPS bigger crits and damage... In theory.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Vanderdeath posted:

I loved both Monday Night Combat and SMNC and I still miss them. Uber got screwed over by their exclusivity deal with Microsoft for MNC and SMNC was accidentally launched too early, causing Uber to panic and push forward despite SMNC not being anywhere near done. They eventually ran out of money to properly keep developing for the game.

And then they put a bitcoin miner in the SMNC game files.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Schubalts posted:

And then they put a bitcoin miner in the SMNC game files.

they never actually did that

they made a bitcoin miner you could download and earn keys to open some lovely chests, but it was never in the game itself's files and you had to go out of your way to download it from their forums

SMNC did a lot of stupid poo poo, and the bitcoin miner was one of them, but they didn't try to sneak it into the game or force it on players or anything

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stormgale posted:

See in theory this is a good idea as by making stats do different things you can make gear viable equally for multiple classes, you give your healers healing and mana and your DPS bigger crits and damage... In theory.

All healing classes were also DPS classes though, as were all tank classes. So you still had separate pieces of gear for each role.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

it's expertise

Funny thing is I have no idea which one you mean, because the names are all special snowflakes.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Thunderbro posted:

a good Thunderbro post

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lol

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Just think about all the word of mouth they're getting.

Carbine are a bunch marketing experts.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Complicated stat systems are 100% pure Columbian rpg.

You dumb it down too much and you have gear that is just "+10 more health, +10 do better". Like diablo 3.

That being said wildstars was a mess.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Another option would be to have stats that do things which are interesting. Like Diablo 3.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Metrohunter posted:

space hamsters own
Only miniature giant ones though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Stormgale posted:

It's dumber than that, actually. The secondary stats did the same things but swapped around. The goal wasn't to make gear pieces equally viable for multiple classes, it was the opposite: to make gear significantly better for some classes than others. This isn't a bad thing- you generally want to reduce loot competition down to a certain level. Now in a normal MMO, this is done by making classes prioritize different secondary stats over others. But that's hard, you have to like design the classes differently and balance them and all. So instead, all similar classes/specs generally prioritize the same stuff (to the point that wildstar had the simplest stat priorities of any MMO I've ever played) but classes prioritize different gear because different stats mean the same things. So like a piece of gear with 50 finesse and 25 moxie is spellslinger DPS gear, a piece of gear with 50 moxie, 25 finesse is esper DPS gear. These two pieces of gear are identical in terms the actual stats they provide to their users because spellslinger and esper have basically identical stat priorites. Like they have different stat weights but the specific weights are irrelevant because any given piece of gear is so binary in its usefulness, since finesse is SO MUCH BETTER than moxie for spellslingers and moxie is SO MUCH BETTER than finesse for espers.

It turns out, btw, that ignoring some key aspects of class design and papering over it with a confusing stat system is a terrible idea. The total apathy toward stat weights is WHY you ended up with things like:
- Gear stats being largely ignored by players in favor of glyph slots, because the game invites you to prioritize your primary stat over anything and be willing to kill your grandmother for 20 assault power, which a good roll on glyph slots will get you 2 or 3 times.
- Players using crafted gear for raiding because you can roll out good glyph slots and also pump everything into a single seriously-overvalued stat.
- Dungeons being ignored outside the attunement/legendary quest lines because their itemization was aggressively bad because nobody on the itemization or raid teams ever bothered to learn about stat weights.
- Heavy/medium armor players sometimes prioritizing light/medium armor because the class that loot is "for" has the same primary stat and is better-itemized, thus increasing loot competition and destroying the entire point of this system.

Incidentally, this is also WHY the stats are so vaguely-named: they intentionally chose totally vague, meaningless stats names since there is no relationship between a stat and what it does in any objective sense, so the stats have to be named meaningless buzzwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Agreed.
Stats were even more disturbing in beta when we had a crazier, beefier circuit system too and milestones linked 100% to your statistics. Those milestones were littered with rng procs or amps with poo poo drop rates. At least they tried to make their systems hard for a couple of weeks until they started "listening" into oblivion.

• Locked thread