Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

I don't know if the PS5 is cheap enough to dabble in even with an EPT to sweeten the deal, X-Wing lists seem to largely be comprised of either very expensive elite ships or the cheapest mooks you cna find with very little in-between.
I am really enjoying the fact that the y-wing, Y-WING!!!, is the ship that straddles the middle ground. It's the most inoffensive, unassuming ship that by all accounts shouldn't work because of Bs and everything that preys on them but still does. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, I need to start playing with my double warthog scum list again. The other 50-52 points can be whatever. I think once the next wave hits, N'dru with cluster, LW, glitterstim is going to be pretty great for 25 points as well. Maybe palob as well to help deal with the mass of tokens that many lists go for? Plus turret defense.

What are people's preference for warthogs by the way? R4's or unhinged?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Gate posted:

What are people's preference for warthogs by the way? R4's or unhinged?

They're both good. Agromech if you can run blaster turrets on everyone, otherwise Unhinged and autoblasters or ions.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Unhinged is pretty mandatory on Warthogs because the Y-Wing doesn't have a single green 90° turn without it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The vast majority of ships don't have a green turn, only banks, though. I think only the interceptor and the A-Wing have green turns at the moment. That's sort of the way I'm leaning anyway though, so that they're less predictable after a K-turn.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah only the A-wing and Interceptor have green turns (small, nimble unpredictable fighters) so it is actually pretty exceptional that scum bones have access to them.

Geisladisk posted:

Unhinged is pretty mandatory on Warthogs because the Y-Wing doesn't have a single green 90° turn without it.

You're thinking a lil too restrictive here, you would be amazed how brutal agromech can be. They're both very good loadouts you just have to fly them different

edit: to be clear the advantage of agromech on a y is the fact that you never have to get in range of someone first and telegraph your target-- you just create dangerous range 2 bubbles everywhere that can shoot modified at anything

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 23, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

To be honest, the blaster turret is a stop-gag measure (and I'll never buy more than one HWK ever). I think the agromech will really shine with the twin laser turret: shoot out from 1-3, no need to require an action to fire, you can potentially use the focus on the first shot and the target lock on the second and you will do likely as much damage as a blaster turret anyway.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

You don't need green turns with Agromech because you have a 360 degree 3d turret with TL every turn as long as you can focus. There's no real reason to ever do anything but white manoeuvres to stay within range 2 of the enemy.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't know about other metas but my meta is rife with stressbot, rebel captive, and debris fields. Unhinged is a much better option around here

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012
Hi guys,

Just starting out on xwing and tried to build a list around the Defender

Any thoughts on whether the list is viable?

Colonel Vessery
[Calculation, Heavy Laser Cannon]

Captain Oicunn
[Engine Upgrade, Intimidation, Weapons Engineer, Dauntless, Ysanne Isard]

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

leongzanfa posted:

Defender

viable

I'm sorry

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

We just need to wait for the TIE Punisher preview, with the really good TIE Defender fix that we will surely get :suicide:

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Try Vesser with vet instinct and hlc, soontir fell with ptl and autothruster and a doom shuttle =) It works quite well.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I am extremely surprised that the X-wang vassal module is so good. Someone put in a lot of work, aside from the usual FFG blank cardisms.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Just played a demo of this game with my son (10 years old) at the LGS and bought it on a whim. We played a dumbed down version of the game, only dial maneuvers and shooting. My son is totally excited, though, and is currently pouring over the website trying to decide if he wants to blow his savings on a Slave-1, or buy another box set.

Are there any good videos or tutorials out there that will help us learn the rest of the rules. I hate trying to learn a new wargame by referring to the book every four seconds.

(edit) Never Mind, I should have read the whole drat OP before posting this, there is a link right there. But we are really exited.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 25, 2015

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

How does everyone store their upgrade cards?

After I believed mine, I just ended up sorting them I to a couple different piles and each pile goes into a small bag in random open slots in my case. I am looking for a better way to not have to look through 5 bags of cards every time I want to set up a list.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Someone took a 2 ship Vess + Rexler list to regionals and went 7-1

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm gonna be honest about it, after hearing everybody in this thread talk about how bad the Defender is my experience playing against it thus far has been getting my poo poo pushed in by them. I'm not, y'know, some super amazing X-Wing savant as my win/loss ratio handily demonstrates but I was expecting the going to be a little easier against a two Defender list and nope, sure wasn't.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Orvin posted:

My setup using UltraPro 4 pocket Pro-Binders.

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Would you be kind enough to share the loadout on that 2 ship list?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

zVxTeflon posted:

That's loving awesome.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Orvin posted:

Edit: don't bother reading any of this and just look at what Carteret said.

When I first started collecting x-wang I came here and asked the same question. I was suggested the 4 pocket Ultra-Pro. I picked up two of them. I use one for all my pilot cards for all 3 factions. The other I use for upgrade cards and you can fit 8 cards to a page.

If you place duplicates cards in the same card slot you can fit every card in your collection pilot wise and upgrade wise without any problem.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 26, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

leongzanfa posted:

Would you be kind enough to share the loadout on that 2 ship list?

Vessery: HLC, Lone wolf, stealth

Rex: HLC, Predator, hull, ion pulse missle

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012
Thanks for all the defender list inputs guys!

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Panzeh posted:

I am extremely surprised that the X-wang vassal module is so good. Someone put in a lot of work, aside from the usual FFG blank cardisms.

Just do what I did, replace all the card art with unedited stuff. vmod files can be opened with zip or rar programs and if you rename the new art the same as the old art you can drop it right in. Took a day or two, but I did it, and now i can just copy paste it into any updated version of the module.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am thinking about expanding my initial box set. I think a main box would be a good idea, but I also really like the Scum and Villainy guys. Can the S&V's incorporate any of the X-wings or tie-fighters from the main box, so I can use them later?

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 26, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

No they cannot, sorry. The only closely related models you get to use with a scum starter is the y wing or fire spray.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna be honest about it, after hearing everybody in this thread talk about how bad the Defender is my experience playing against it thus far has been getting my poo poo pushed in by them. I'm not, y'know, some super amazing X-Wing savant as my win/loss ratio handily demonstrates but I was expecting the going to be a little easier against a two Defender list and nope, sure wasn't.

I cheat with engine upgrade but I imagine it would be a little harder without it, yeah. The 4 k turn is v easy to predict though and you can easily get them to do red turns in which case the unmodified HLC doesn't do much.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Is anyone else attending the Milwaukee regional tomorrow?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

pbpancho posted:

I'll be in Milwaukee, but regrettably it's because I have Brewers tickets.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Can anyone recommend a good token/template set that won't break the bank?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The ones you got in the core set.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Strobe posted:

The ones you got in the core set.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Well, my son is 10 years old. He has been playing with the set incessantly since we got it and the cardboard corners are already starting to fray a bit. he is a good kid, but he's 10. It is only a matter of time before a 2 bank or the firing ruler come up missing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Dregs posted:

I saw a set of Litko plastics on miniature market for the movement templates.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

The Dregs posted:

I'm a big fan of applied perspective templates. Tokens are way less necessary.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

pbpancho posted:

Im here what are you wearing

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Well ended up 4-2 with Dash + Coran

lost my last game when head up his rear end Coran rolled all blanks on defense and died before he could double tap a wounded range 1 Vrill with TL. Dash spent the entire game soloing Chewy + Vrill till it was just chewy with 3 hull left and Dash took a munitions failure crit and lost HLC. 2 attacks couldnt power through evade + c3p0 and that was the end of my day. 94 people I think and this store was 100 times better than the place picked last year. Really nice clean place and they even had a food truck the whole day with tables and chairs outside. Hope this place gets it again next year.

Oh winning list was some weird Coran, Biggs, Jake Farrel combo. I dont know the exact upgrades but you can watch a choppy soundless video of the final match here

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh wow, I just bought a bunch of expansions* and tried out the B-Wing vs TIE Interceptor+TIE Fighter against my dad and really cleaned him up. I can see how it's quite a bad ship if the enemy keeps flanking and being able to get the drop on you (one evade - eep), but if you just charge right up to their face (especially as a stressed-out Farlander) and fire both barrels, it just turns them to a fine red mist! I hope the A-Wing and IG (unfortunately they only had one in stock) turn out to be this fun to use.
(Also, the B-Wing can use one of each of the million upgrade options it has on the pilot card, right? Or is there an upper cap, like you can only pick up to three of the different ones in total? Not including points being a restriction, that is)

EDIT: Also, I noticed that all forward/straight-ahead maneuvers for the A-Wing are green, not just the low-speed ones :getin:

* Most Wanted x2, IG-2000, Rebel Aces, Imp Aces, X-Wing, Y-Wing

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ships can use one of every upgrade they have a slot for. If a ship has a bazillion upgrade slots and you feel like spending the points then go nuts, just try to get your points' worth out of it before it blows up.

And yeah, the IG-2000 is a fun ship, dual IGs is actually a pretty strong list that teaches a lot of lessons about movement and positioning.

• Locked thread